Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
abinormal
Mouseketeer

I'm starting to feel like a real weirdo because I went through the menus on allears.net, adding up meals and snacks for a hypothetical WDW visit. And for my family the dining plan would save us a few hundred bucks.

Yet most posts here mention what a waste it is. Maybe I'm seriously overestimating how much we'd eat or something.

We'd be two adults, one child, one under three, with a few character breakfasts. My husband and I drink a soft drink with meals and usually get an appetizer or dessert. Sometimes both - we enjoy eating, I won't lie.

This was one or two TS meals and one QS a day. Maybe I'm the right demographic for it or something but the DP is coming up the winner even if I plan to bring in some food and most drinks from outside.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

If you're doing 3 meals a day (2TS and 1CS), you'll need to get the DxDDP or pay some things OOP. Same thing if you want apps with your TS. The DxDDP can still be cost effective. It's the regular DDP that is getting harder to see the value.

The cost of the DxDDP is right at $100 for adults and just under $27 for kids.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
teresadisney
Earning My Ears

I understand what the OP is saying I have done the same thing but with only one TS, one CS and a snack. It looks like we too will save money. We have bought the DP. We are leaving tomorrow and plan on keeping bills. I'll let you know if it works for us. We are two adults a 9 year old boy and 7 year old girl.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

We eat 3 full meals per day. When dining out we always get an app and dessert. My children (11 and 7) have 1-2 snacks everyday. So the DxDP is the plan that we get that best suits our eating habits.
If u did the homework and you can see that the DDP is a good fit for you, don't let others change your mind. Some people eat like birds and can function on 1-2 meals per day. My family certainly can not!

Last edited by GaBelle; 03-09-2013 at 06:19 AM. Reason: spelling
GaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
aml3679
Kita's Mom

I am a little hesitant about the plan when I think about the cost, but, my husband and I enjoy table service. Out of curiosity, I will keep my receipts to add up after we are home. That being said, I am not going to stress about how much we are spending and not worry about eating the most expensive item. We will have a better timr.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
elfling8
Mouseketeer

We figured that the DP would work for us. I didn't crunch numbers, but we also like to eat. Since it is likely to be our only trip while the kids are young (DD10 and DS8) and we are not likely to want to wait in line for characters we will do 3 character meals. We also enjoy eating, and DD and I seem to need to do it often or we get grumpy. No one wants a pair of grumpy girls in Disney There is only one day we have to double up on TS. Other than that I think sharing some snacks/CS for the other meals will make it so we don't need to pay too much else oop.

Me DH
DD10 DS8
elfling8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

What I eat when I dine out occasionally versus each day on vacation is very different. While I enjoy an appetizer, entree, alcoholic beverage and dessert when I dine out occasionally, I could never eat that way every day for a week. Even when we go out, DH and I share an appetizer, share dessert and I often take half or more of my entree home with me. If I ordered like that every meal at WDW on DXDDP we woudl have three apps, three entrees, three desserts every meal, even swapping a few for CS would be too much (plus the savings becomes diminished also)! The price works when you go through a menu and order what you would on an occasional restaurant trip but not what most would be able to do 3x a day for a week or more.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
VillianDiva
Falling in LOVE with Disney!

I feel the same way you do about the dining plan. Plus, I love going on vacation knowing that everything except tips is covered. It's totally a mind thing but I like knowing that I can get whatever I want without looking at the cost because I've already paid for it.

'08 (Dolphin) , '09 (All-Star Music),
Disneyland 2011, and 2012 (POP)!

December 2013! (POFQ)
May 2014! POP!!
VillianDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
abinormal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsal
What I eat when I dine out occasionally versus each day on vacation is very different. While I enjoy an appetizer, entree, alcoholic beverage and dessert when I dine out occasionally, I could never eat that way every day for a week. Even when we go out, DH and I share an appetizer, share dessert and I often take half or more of my entree home with me. If I ordered like that every meal at WDW on DXDDP we woudl have three apps, three entrees, three desserts every meal, even swapping a few for CS would be too much (plus the savings becomes diminished also)! The price works when you go through a menu and order what you would on an occasional restaurant trip but not what most would be able to do 3x a day for a week or more.
That's an extremely good point. This would be the first time going for us, and really for any kind of long trip that didn't involve staying with relatives. I have no idea if we'd have the same habits every day as we do for occasional eating out.

I guess it's a bit of a risk either way. Go OOP, find we do eat the same way, and be out $, or go DP, find we don't, and be out $. Lol!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinormal View Post
I guess it's a bit of a risk either way. Go OOP, find we do eat the same way, and be out $, or go DP, find we don't, and be out $. Lol!
We eat three meals a day here at home. Not huge meals but three regular meals every day. On vacation, with all the walking we do, we find that we need more calories. We generally eat a large for us breakfast, lunch, and then a good dinner with swimming and what not after to burn those calories too.

I will also point out that I don't feel the need to eat all of what is served to me at every single meal either. So that may have something to do with it. I eat until I am full not stuffed so I can't walk.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
bdklein
DIS Veteran

I just hate:

1. The fact that you have to prepay for food you may not eat (people do go home with unused credits, people get sick, etc.)
2. Have to somewhat work the system to get your money's worth (bang for the buck-need to order the expensive menu items)
3. Have to eat dessert with your meal (with rare exception) as opposed to a few hours after you have eaten your meal.
4. A refilable mug? Not for us?
5. Non-alocoholic drinks with meals. Not for us.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

We always eat 3 full meals a day, even when we are just sitting around at home! Being active in the parks all day in the heat means we need to eat at least that much. I still can't understand how so many people get by on just 1-2 meals a day, my family would be passing out from starvation, lol!

When I run the numbers on the DxDDP, we just about break-even with what we would probably spend OOP, given that DH would almost never get dessert, and I would almost never get an app, and we would buy fewer snacks. So for the same money, we actually get more food (if we want it), and the lack of guilt every time the bill comes.

And, being able to include it in the package price means I can use the Disney Visa 6-months free financing, which helps too. And if someone gets sick or has to leave in an emergency and can't use all the credits, that's what our travel insurance is for

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly, Hilton GVC | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2014: POR | Dec 2014 - WL | July 2015 - ASMusic | Nov 2015 - FW Campground
gtpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
geckodani
DIS Veteran

It saves us money. Maybe not a ton, but I've run the numbers several times against what we have actually ordered, and it always comes out ahead. We are two Disney Adults, and here's our general eating pattern:

Quick Service Breakfast, usually at the resort. I tried eating a granola bar and having an instant breakfast in the room and was starving a few hours later, so we do a solid breakfast now. We do not generally use a dining credit for breakfast, we pay OOP for breakfast since those items are generally cheaper, and then use a credit for lunch.

Quick Service Lunch in the parks.

Snack; sometimes it's a coffee, sometimes it's the sinfully good cinnamon roasted pecans in Epcot ...

Table Service Dinner. Yes, every night. We've tried doing the big meal in the middle of the day, and it just doesn't work for us. This way we spend the morning and afternoon without worrying about an ADR.

I've run it five ways to Sunday, and we still come out ahead. I even calculated what it would have cost on this last trip we took where we spent a day at Sea World and Medeival Times, and it was the ONLY case in which we would not have saved money if we had the DDP (we didn't), since we weren't on property for the equivalent of two TS meals.

ETA: I just realized that I hadn't even taken snacks into account when I ran the numbers, so we DEFINITELY come out ahead, even if we use the snack credits on a $2.50 pop. Didn't take tax into account either, so the prices I was using for OOP were even lower than the actual cost, making it that much better. You have to pay tips either way, so those are a non issue for me.

Last edited by geckodani; 03-14-2013 at 09:04 AM.
geckodani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #14
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinormal View Post
I'm starting to feel like a real weirdo because I went through the menus on allears.net, adding up meals and snacks for a hypothetical WDW visit. And for my family the dining plan would save us a few hundred bucks.

Yet most posts here mention what a waste it is. Maybe I'm seriously overestimating how much we'd eat or something.

We'd be two adults, one child, one under three, with a few character breakfasts. My husband and I drink a soft drink with meals and usually get an appetizer or dessert. Sometimes both - we enjoy eating, I won't lie.

This was one or two TS meals and one QS a day. Maybe I'm the right demographic for it or something but the DP is coming up the winner even if I plan to bring in some food and most drinks from outside.
First of all OP, you are not a weirdo. What works for some doesn't always work for others. We find the DP ALWAYS works best for us and we are a family of 4 as well. My girls are now older but even when they were younger, it always worked and we always save money with the DP. This is how we eat with the DP (very similar to how we eat at home too). We are all pretty light eaters in the morning so often we will use our snack credits for a bagel or muffin, etc or just pay out of pocket at times. QS credits we use for lunch and TS we use for a nice sit down dinner somewhere. Sometimes we vary, ie: if we decide to do a character breakfast, we'll use our TS for that, but make a later breakfast reservation which holds just fine for most of the day then we use our QS credit for an earlier dinner somewhere. If someone feels like a snack, they'll use their snack credit for something in the afternoon. So see, you're not alone in liking the DP

Last edited by mommyrosa2; 03-14-2013 at 09:54 AM.
mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
amomma23
DIS Veteran

The plan works perfectly for us, too. We like to get out early for RD, so granola bars and juice boxes (brought from home or delivered) make a good quick breakfast. Since we had a small breakfast, we're ready for a QS lunch around 11:00-11:30 (allowing us to beat the lunch rush). We plan a TS meal for dinner so we can sit down and talk about our day. Snacks get used here and there for drinks and treats, and any leftovers are used to bring some home.

amomma23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: