DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
glamdring269
Mouseketeer

Another UY Question

We're still at least a year away from purchasing anything, and plan to do some resort touring in October, but I wanted to ask a question to confirm my understanding of UY. Our limiting factor in terms of travel revolves around the life of a teacher, which basically means our travel is limited to school breaks. I doubt we would ever do Spring Break so our possible travel periods (in order of preference) are as follows:

1a) Last week of May
1b) First week of June
1c) First week of October
2) December (Christmas period)
3) June/July

Honestly the 1st 3 are basically a tie for me. I prefer 2 over 3 only due to the weather as I have no desire to be in Florida in June/July!

So based on this I'd really like to have a May UY (I think?) but of course it appears there is no May UY so I'm leaning towards April since it covers us through October in the 8 month period before needing to bank.

Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov | Must bank | Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar

What do you all think? The only other month I can think of would be June as it covers the Christmas period within banking but does leave the last week of May vulnerable.
glamdring269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

i agree that may is your best choice.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
glamdring269
Mouseketeer

Unfortunately I can't find May to be an option anywhere. So it looks like April or June. Does it even really matter that much given the wide range of travel we're likely to have?
glamdring269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdring269 View Post
Unfortunately I can't find May to be an option anywhere. So it looks like April or June. Does it even really matter that much given the wide range of travel we're likely to have?
There are only eight Use Years: Feb, Mar, Apr, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct and Dec.

As you already discovered, there is no May UY or Jan, Jul or Nov either.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
April would probably be good. April UY points need to be banked by the end of Nov. You likely will know by Nov if you have to cancel a Dec trip. April will nicely cover the rest of your travel dates.

We have a Dec UY and now will be traveling primarily Jun - Aug. The Dec UY points need to be banked by the end of July, so we have little risk with a late cancellation. We also go in December once in awhile, which works well with a Dec UY, too. Hey . . . maybe you could consider Dec as well! Of course, that would not be great for your Oct trips.
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Last edited by Kidanifan08; 03-07-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: more comments
Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We're still at least a year away from purchasing anything, and plan to do some resort touring in October, but I wanted to ask a question to confirm my understanding of UY. Our limiting factor in terms of travel revolves around the life of a teacher, which basically means our travel is limited to school breaks. I doubt we would ever do Spring Break so our possible travel periods (in order of preference) are as follows:

1a) Last week of May
1b) First week of June
1c) First week of October
2) December (Christmas period)
3) June/July

Honestly the 1st 3 are basically a tie for me. I prefer 2 over 3 only due to the weather as I have no desire to be in Florida in June/July!

So based on this I'd really like to have a May UY (I think?) but of course it appears there is no May UY so I'm leaning towards April since it covers us through October in the 8 month period before needing to bank.

Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov | Must bank | Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar

What do you all think? The only other month I can think of would be June as it covers the Christmas period within banking but does leave the last week of May vulnerable.
April is likely best as posted, June maybe second if you won't be too heavy in May and March 3rd. Assuming you'd be about equal for all it wouldn't matter too much but since it appears you'd be mostly May, June & Oct so I do think it matters though doesn't have to be the only factor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: