Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #856
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Right, you don't have to go into the park. Maybe we'll just go there for the chicken? It's that good. It tastes like nostalgia should.
the chicken is amazing and no, you don't have to go in to the park to get it. just know that if you do go to Knott's, AAA gets a discount at the gate, 10% I think.

The boysenberry pie is pretty killer as well.

I'd check park hours for your trip, you may not be able to do all that you want in one day with both parks depending on the hours. I'd vote for 2 day tickets but no hopping I think.

If you are there on a Sunday and haven't done the Sunday brunch on the Queen Mary, that's a lot of fun, as is the ghost tour.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #857
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
I'll need to check out Knott's more closely. I love Mrs. Knott's fried chicken and they're boysenberry punch. They're funnel cake is the best ever. Way better than Disneyland's even.

Somehow I missed this Mrs. Knott's chicken discussion! The chicken is the best! We went to the Brunch last May and it was very good. I haven't had dinner there since the last day of the last Expo. That was a while ago considering I now have a ticker for the next one!

That's one of the few places left where you get a full meal with all the extras included with your dinner. We always end up taking the pie slice to go since we're stuffed from the chicken. Best biscuits ever! And you don't need to go into the park, just be prepared to wait half an hour or so to be seated.
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR |It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #858
MomToPrincePhillip
Mouseketeer

Quote:
[CENTER]Ive always wanted to stay at the BWV. I hope you get a fireworks view. It looks like such an awesome resort. The BW area alone is so cool.

I think as this is our first cruise, I'm at the 75 day check in too or maybe it's even less like 60?

Yeah, I'm really thinking about not getting Hoppers. I can always add it if Joshua has had enough DCA. Not staying on property stinks! Or even close by. My friend lives close but not walking close. I figured it'd be a 60 minute journey between leaving the park, getting to the car via tram, and then getting to her house. Not terrible and we could go back. I'll have to give it more thought.

And can I say?

8 days until Club 33!!! [/CENTER
Yay for 8 days
We are looking forward to our stay, and we are having a very close look at DVC, I'm sure we'll be going to yet another DVC tour kinda wish we would have done it years ago. We are just trying to figure out if we should do resale or direct

This is our 1st cruise too and we had to wait until 75 days to do our on line stuff.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #859
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
if you have already chosen your dinner seating the choice has been made. Also your luggage needs to be placed outside your stateroom door by 10:30PM the night before you disembark. As soon as the ship docks they're unloading that stuff. You need to be out of the stateroom by like 8AM, with all your carryons.
I chose early seating. Yikes, that's early. So I have to carry pajamas and toiletries around with me? That doesn't sound so hot. Doable but not fun.

Quote:
It's sort of a pain if you have a late flight. What we're doing in April (and I still have to work this all out with Disney) is we will take their transport back to the airport from Galveston, and then catch the airport shuttle to the Doubletree, stay overnight and catch an 8AM plane home the next morning.

I'm thinking of adding on 2 nights at AKV after. But that part would be a secret for Joshua. No parks just AKV. He fell in love with it during this last trip. We'd do Boma for sure, some pool time if its warm enough which I'm sure it will be compared to what we're used to, pin trading, and he'll make the beaded necklace again by doing all of the activities between Jambo and Kidani. I just have to figure out the whole SLC to Miami, port to WDW, and then we'd probably fly out of MCO if we did WDW. I think we can fly into FL which is generally cheaper than to Miami. I have a lot of research to do.

You're going out of Galveston? I think it's a good idea to stay the night. I think we will stay the night in Miami and fly out the next day if we don't do AKV. It just seems like so much work to disembark and fly the same day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
the chicken is amazing and no, you don't have to go in to the park to get it. just know that if you do go to Knott's, AAA gets a discount at the gate, 10% I think.

The boysenberry pie is pretty killer as well.

I'd check park hours for your trip, you may not be able to do all that you want in one day with both parks depending on the hours. I'd vote for 2 day tickets but no hopping I think.

If you are there on a Sunday and haven't done the Sunday brunch on the Queen Mary, that's a lot of fun, as is the ghost tour.

I always have to go to Schooner or Later when we're there on a Sunday, Alison knows exactly where I'm talking about. http://schoonerorlater.com It's tradition. I'm from that area and have seen the Queen Mary etc too many times to count. The only real touristy thing we do is Disneyland.

Thanks for the AAA Knott's tip. My father is in an ALF in Anaheim. When I was growing up he spoiled me rotten with weekly trips to Disneyland and Knott's. One of the main reasons we chose So Cal over AZ for Spring Break was to see my father. He suffered a major stroke 7 years ago. He loved Mrs. Knott's fried chicken so I think I'm going to get a big dinner to go and bring it to him while we're there. I'd love to take him to Disneyland but he's a full assist and I just can't do it alone. He could only ride what he could stay in his chair for which would be fine by me but I can't change his bag. If there was a way I could figure it out, I'd do one day hoppers for all of us and give him one last trip to Disneyland. It's because of him I love it so much. I think I need to call his social worker to see if it can be figured out. His ALF is in Anaheim so it's close. If I could get staff to follow me over and help me get him in and out the car and into his chair, I could figure out the rest.

Quote:
Somehow I missed this Mrs. Knott's chicken discussion! The chicken is the best! We went to the Brunch last May and it was very good. I haven't had dinner there since the last day of the last Expo. That was a while ago considering I now have a ticker for the next one!

That's one of the few places left where you get a full meal with all the extras included with your dinner. We always end up taking the pie slice to go since we're stuffed from the chicken. Best biscuits ever! And you don't need to go into the park, just be prepared to wait half an hour or so to be seated.

I do love their chicken and we haven't had it in years. Our last time was Sunday brunch as well. The wait can be brutal but I think we'll end up getting it to. It's not the same but as mentioned above, my dad is too much for me to physically handle alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToPrincePhillip View Post
Yay for 8 days
We are looking forward to our stay, and we are having a very close look at DVC, I'm sure we'll be going to yet another DVC tour kinda wish we would have done it years ago. We are just trying to figure out if we should do resale or direct

This is our 1st cruise too and we had to wait until 75 days to do our on line stuff.

I hear great arguments for both resale and direct. We bought direct and will probably continue to do so. I don't like the limitations put on resale. Having said that, if I found the perfect GCV contract resale, I'd jump on it but would buy direct for any other DVC.

So it is 75 days? Did you book any excursions though Disney? Palo?
Not too shabby for a consolation prize: a Disneyland pre-trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3200081
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #860
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:

I always have to go to Schooner or Later when we're there on a Sunday, Alison knows exactly where I'm talking about. http://schoonerorlater.com It's tradition. I'm from that area and have seen the Queen Mary etc too many times to count. The only real touristy thing we do is Disneyland.

Thanks for the AAA Knott's tip. My father is in an ALF in Anaheim. When I was growing up he spoiled me rotten with weekly trips to Disneyland and Knott's. One of the main reasons we chose So Cal over AZ for Spring Break was to see my father. He suffered a major stroke 7 years ago. He loved Mrs. Knott's fried chicken so I think I'm going to get a big dinner to go and bring it to him while we're there. I'd love to take him to Disneyland but he's a full assist and I just can't do it alone. He could only ride what he could stay in his chair for which would be fine by me but I can't change his bag. If there was a way I could figure it out, I'd do one day hoppers for all of us and give him one last trip to Disneyland. It's because of him I love it so much. I think I need to call his social worker to see if it can be figured out. His ALF is in Anaheim so it's close. If I could get staff to follow me over and help me get him in and out the car and into his chair, I could figure out the rest.
If nothing else you can bring him chicken dinner but I'd call (or perhaps his social worker knows) Disney they might really be able to help you figure something out. Is there someone you could get to help with the bag, etc for the day? I would think the social worker would be able to suggest someone you could hire or Disney would. You can get the chicken to go as I am sure you know, that's what we did, it's a separate carryout location. I really wanted to eat at Mrs. Knotts as I had such fond memories of it as a kid but we just finished up at the park way too early to eat there so took it with us.

We actually ate it at Paradise Pier.

You forget Jeff lived in Long Beach....

YUM! That beauty was mine. Jeff is obsessed with the Galley Mess. Me, I liked the idea that they'd sell you the whole bottle and just bring you more oj as you needed it

oh my word the E's look little! and OMG I want to go back after seeing this picture, well heck, all of them

eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #861
franandaj

Quote:
I chose early seating. Yikes, that's early. So I have to carry pajamas and toiletries around with me? That doesn't sound so hot. Doable but not fun.

I'm thinking of adding on 2 nights at AKV after. But that part would be a secret for Joshua. No parks just AKV. He fell in love with it during this last trip. We'd do Boma for sure, some pool time if its warm enough which I'm sure it will be compared to what we're used to, pin trading, and he'll make the beaded necklace again by doing all of the activities between Jambo and Kidani. I just have to figure out the whole SLC to Miami, port to WDW, and then we'd probably fly out of MCO if we did WDW. I think we can fly into FL which is generally cheaper than to Miami. I have a lot of research to do.

You're going out of Galveston? I think it's a good idea to stay the night. I think we will stay the night in Miami and fly out the next day if we don't do AKV. It just seems like so much work to disembark and fly the same day.
I was going to ask, how do you plan to get from Miami to WDW? I don't know how far it is, but I know on one of our trips, we took a puddle jumper from Orlando to Miami and then caught a regular plane home.

Galeveston was nightmare to navigate transportation. I'll start a PTR soon and explain it all.
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR |It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #862
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
I was going to ask, how do you plan to get from Miami to WDW? I don't know how far it is, but I know on one of our trips, we took a puddle jumper from Orlando to Miami and then caught a regular plane home.

Galeveston was nightmare to navigate transportation. I'll start a PTR soon and explain it all.
We drove from Miami to WDW after our cruise in 2007 and I think it was a 4-5 hour boring drive! I would fly if you can.

Jill in CO
Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #863
MomToPrincePhillip
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I hear great arguments for both resale and direct. We bought direct and will probably continue to do so. I don't like the limitations put on resale. Having said that, if I found the perfect GCV contract resale, I'd jump on it but would buy direct for any other DVC.

So it is 75 days? Did you book any excursions though Disney? Palo?
Isn't it funny, it was our big countdown, the whole on line cruise thing and now I can't say with certainty, but I'm thinking it was 75 days...
We did book a St. Thomas excursion because there are 2 or 3 other ships in port that day and we didn't want to worry about it being crowed. We booked the Doubloon Turtle Cove Sail & Snorkel. And at Castaway Parasailing for me and DS9 and the Glass bottom boat for DH and DS5. We'll explore St.Martin on our own. We also booked a brunch at Palo, and DH and I are really looking forward to that. At the same time we were able to book a port arrival time, the earliest that can be booked is 11AM, but that was taken by the 75 days so we got 1130, so that's not too bad.

Have you made any decisions about shore excursions yet?

We are are doing a night at AKL post cruise (also part of the surprise), just one night, but I think it will be an easier let down from the cruise, rather than jumping on the plane right away. We plan pool time there too.

Arrgg, I guess I need to get on with the day and my work out, but I'll be day dreaming about Disney while I do it
Old 03-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #864
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
If nothing else you can bring him chicken dinner but I'd call (or perhaps his social worker knows) Disney they might really be able to help you figure something out. Is there someone you could get to help with the bag, etc for the day? I would think the social worker would be able to suggest someone you could hire or Disney would. You can get the chicken to go as I am sure you know, that's what we did, it's a separate carryout location. I really wanted to eat at Mrs. Knotts as I had such fond memories of it as a kid but we just finished up at the park way too early to eat there so took it with us.

We actually ate it at Paradise Pier.

You forget Jeff lived in Long Beach....

YUM! That beauty was mine. Jeff is obsessed with the Galley Mess. Me, I liked the idea that they'd sell you the whole bottle and just bring you more oj as you needed it

oh my word the E's look little! and OMG I want to go back after seeing this picture, well heck, all of them

Great pics. Thanks G-d I'm visiting home next weekend or those pictures would make me cry. Of course it's set to rain on our Club 33 day but NOTHING can damper my excitement. I'm seriously trying to decide now what I'll wear. I'm thinking white jean capris (longer ones) with this great banana republic shirt and short little jacket. I may freeze but I'll change into a sweat outfit after lunch. Can't embarrass my host.

I did recall now you telling me Jeff lived in Long Beach. It's one of my favorite cities ever. My friend Sadee and I are trying to plan where we want to eat next Saturday night. Thursday night we're doing Walt's Wharf. http://www.waltswharf.com/

It's my other friend's bday too so we'll be celebrating three next weekend.

My mouth is watering for some Knott's chicken right now. To-go looks pretty darn good.

I'll call his SW for sure and try to figure it all out. I'd love to take him. He'd get a kick out of it I think. He wouldn't be able to handle all day but even if I could get him on POTC, a boat, the Monorail, and IASW, he'd be elated. I don't know which rides accommodate an actual chair without having to transfer.

Quote:

I think it's like 4-5 hours which make me want to discount it all together.

I've read Galveston is a pita. Yah, you need to start your PTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
We drove from Miami to WDW after our cruise in 2007 and I think it was a 4-5 hour boring drive! I would fly if you can.

Jill in CO
Thanks Jill. So basically we need to rent a car or fly. Hmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToPrincePhillip View Post
Isn't it funny, it was our big countdown, the whole on line cruise thing and now I can't say with certainty, but I'm thinking it was 75 days...
We did book a St. Thomas excursion because there are 2 or 3 other ships in port that day and we didn't want to worry about it being crowed. We booked the Doubloon Turtle Cove Sail & Snorkel. And at Castaway Parasailing for me and DS9 and the Glass bottom boat for DH and DS5. We'll explore St.Martin on our own. We also booked a brunch at Palo, and DH and I are really looking forward to that. At the same time we were able to book a port arrival time, the earliest that can be booked is 11AM, but that was taken by the 75 days so we got 1130, so that's not too bad.

Have you made any decisions about shore excursions yet?

We are are doing a night at AKL post cruise (also part of the surprise), just one night, but I think it will be an easier let down from the cruise, rather than jumping on the plane right away. We plan pool time there too.

Arrgg, I guess I need to get on with the day and my work out, but I'll be day dreaming about Disney while I do it

You are taking my dream cruise. Ive always wanted to visit the BVI. I hope you share your trip with us. I'd love to read all about the details after. Your excursions sound great. If my whole family was going we'd most likely do a spilt excursion too.

11:30 is a great arrival time. I'd be thrilled with that.

Excellent you're going to AKV for a night after. You're cruising out of MCO correct? I have looked into cruising out of MCO but they only have 7 dayers, which sounds great, but it's more than I'd like to spend. It's the same itinerary as yours.

With a 4-5 hour drive, AKV may not be in the cards now. I'll have to lay it out on paper.

As far as excursions I've only decided on Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. In Castaway Cay, I'm thinking we'll do the beach and maybe rent a bike. We're pretty mellow vacationers. I feel like I'm go go go all of the time so I truly like to tune out on vacations.

Did you get to your work out? What do you do to work out? I'm always looking for new ideas.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #865
rentayenta

My family just put in LOTR and I'm working on our MNSSHP night update. The new Photobucket stinks and uploading the pics is taking far longer than I thought. Thankfully this is a 3 hour movie.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #866
rentayenta

Mnsshp

Let me first start by apologizing for the delay in updates. Between the new Photobucket and Gabby having her wisdom teeth out Friday, its been nearly impossible to concentrate on anything that requires concentration.

After our delicious dinner of brats and dogs, we got ready for MNSSHP. This was to be our very first Disney Halloween party and we were so excited. Deciding on costumes had been a chore as I wanted us to go as a group. I threw out everything from Snow White and her fellas to Cruella and the pups. No takers.

I decided to throw in the towel and let everyone dress as they wanted with the only stipulation being that they went as something Disney. We settled on 3 Incredibles, Alice, Mike Wazowski, and Buzz Lightyear.

Some pre party pics on the deck of our THV:

We hopped the bus to the Grandstand section from the THV and then from Grandstand we headed to MK. I know I read lots of grumbling but other than one snafu on the way back from Typhoon Lagoon, which affected every resort, we had no transportation issues.

We arrived at MK about 6:00 and the crowds were like I expected. I had bought candy bags for our crew and Iím glad I did. They were those string back packs from the dollar store and much easier to hold then tradtional candy bags.

Our crew:

I think we look pretty good. We didn't spend much and everyone was comfortable which I read was key during the party. The t-shirts still get worn.

I had lots of big plans for tonight including Photopass pics with the hitch hiking ghosts, haunted carriage Photopass, the kids with the 7 Dwarves as well as trick or treating, the Boo to You Parade, and Hallowishes. Guess whoís kids and spouse wanted to ride ride ride? Guess who's kids wouldn't stop long enough to see the Snow White and her fellas?

Mine.

It was a gorgeous night.

Soooooo, we decided to split some and stay together some. Jennaís crew was with us by now. I donít recall the order in which we did everything as we were so busy, it was hard to take notes. We trick or treated a ton and rode everything we wanted.

Jenna wanted us to check out the new Fantasyland. On our previous glimpse of the new FL, we totally missed Gastonís and the area right around there. We stopped in Gastonís for a cider and a pork shank. It was actually really good. We were so busy chatting and eating that we only got one photo of the fountain.

Last edited by rentayenta; 03-03-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #867
rentayenta

After we all went to HM together.

Notice Leotaís eyes in these:

And in the ride sans flash of course:

After HM we posed for the Haunted Carriage pics. Yay me!

Iím not elated that Michael was cut off in every photo but for $20 I canít complain too much.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #868
rentayenta

Everyone wanted to go ride but Jenna and I wanted a great parade spot so we spilt from the group for some mom time.

The castle:

On the way to the parade route we ran into the Hitch Hiking Ghosts Photopass. It was sort of hidden and wouldnt have been able to find it unless we stumbled upon it like we did. I was so happy. There was no one in line so we walked right up. Here we are:

G-d we are cheesy but in a good way. Jenna and I had a blast.

After the pics we went over to find a good parade spot. Her family was going to ride with mine and then meet us. My haters had no interest in a once-in-a-trip parade.

We found a great spot just across from the Hall of Presidents. We chatted and waited. Its so nice to be able to have some catch up time with my friend. Our spot:

Here's the Boo to You Parade. All photos were taken with my iPhone so I apologize for the blurry ones which is all of them. The parade didn't stop so I could snap pictures. Weird, I know.

Last edited by rentayenta; 03-03-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #869
rentayenta

The last float ie huge advertisement was so out of place. Cute but totally out of place. Death, scary, haunted, candy. One of these things isn't like the other.

Jenna's family showed up in time for the parade. Jenna and I wanted to watch Hallowishes so across the brige we went to grab a frozen Coke and snag a good spot. We met up with the others near Space Mountain and grabbed Joshua. He was getting tired and he also loves fireworks. We used tired as a cover. Haha!

It was starting to fill up so we ask Nate to bring us our Frozen Cokes as the line was loooong. We also got the cream cheese filled pretzels and a churro I think.

Again, all of the foloowing photos were taken with my old iPhone 3 G. Not terrible for no zoom or flash.

The lights dimmed and the show began. I can watch Disney fireworks over and over and never get bored. I took no fewer than 50 photos but because I'd like you to all to keep reading, I'm only posting some.

During the fireworks we all met back up. Of course we had a better view than the rest. We shimmed our way back to Adventureland and Fronteirland to ride some of our favorites and get a little more candy.

POTC looked so cool:

On our way out I took a couple pics again with my iPhone. Nothing spectacular but fun nonetheless.

And one last shot of the MNSSHP sign outside of the gates:

Jenna et al stayed a little later than us. Tomorrow we were set to check out of our wonderful THV and into Kidani where we also hadn't stayed before. We had stayed in Jambo previously but not Kidani. We were so looking forward to the vibe and culture but truly enjoyed our time at the THV.

We got back in no time and glad we left the party a little before it ended.

The kids gorged on candy while I packed some. My only concern about moving was moving all of the cold items. We still had a bunch.

We got to bed fairly late but knew we'd let the kids sleep in while we resumed packing. Check out was 11 am and we planned on using every last minute.

Up next, goodbye THV, hello Africa!

Last edited by rentayenta; 03-03-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #870
franandaj

Quote:

Of course it's set to rain on our Club 33 day but NOTHING can damper my excitement. I'm seriously trying to decide now what I'll wear. I'm thinking white jean capris (longer ones) with this great banana republic shirt and short little jacket. I may freeze but I'll change into a sweat outfit after lunch. Can't embarrass my host.

I think it's like 4-5 hours which make me want to discount it all together.

I've read Galveston is a pita. Yah, you need to start your PTR.
You noticed that "weather thing" too. I hope that it blows over Wednesday and is gone by Thursday. As long as you look good without T-shirt or tank top, you're fine.

The whole Orlando to Miami thing seems like a PITA, much like getting to Galveston. I will start my PTR once I finish my two TRs in progress!!!! I updated both today. The Destination-D one is taking way too long because there is just too much information!

Quote:

I took no fewer than 50 photos but because I'd like you to all to keep reading, I'm only posting some.
There are other people who could learn from this post....none of which have TRs on the DVC boards.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: