Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #3916
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey

It wouldn't take much reading and research to know that if I had only trained 20 miles a month that I had "worked hard" and was well prepared for a half marathon. Anything you read will tell you NO. If some one wants to run/walk/crawl, they need to do their homework. This is not a walk in the park, we are all given 16 min. a mile to finish. I wondered what that would be like so I got on a TM on Thursday and did 3 miles and fell short of pace by one min and the highest I got my TM was 4.0 and that was only for 10 min. The rest of the time I had it between 3.2-3.8.
People need to inform themselves. There is far too many books, magazines and internet articles not to know what you need to do and what "work hard" means.
My first distance race was a 15K. Before I signed up, I was running 10mm for 7 miles. Next, I found a training plan that fit my schedule.
We all have things to overcome in our lives and focusing on something or others helps. We also have seasons in which our lives in which we are able to do things and my season for running just happened 6 years ago in my late forties. Too many are just willing to jump on the next bus that passes by without a thought of where it will take them and are not prepared to go there. We just want to do what the other guy is doing even if it is not our season or we are unprepared. That is actually setting oneself up for failure and doesn't help either.

Too long but I will finish by saying, I always make 3 goals for a race. The ultimate goal (this year 2 hours), didn't happen, sick in bed Wed. before the race, headache the night before and heat and humidity. #2 Finish in under 2:15 (did that, don't know how as I took many walk breaks). #3 Finish as best I can with my head high. But I was prepared to finish in the alloted time as I had "trained hard" and I knew it as I had done my research and put in the miles.
I feel the same way you do... But I am just saying that while we realize what training is- others have a different definition based on what their goals. Imagine if there is not even a goal to finish, then how much training does one actually feel they need to commit to?

I am trying really hard to get past some of my own baggage with this. I lost someone I considered a dear friend because we had different goals and thus different training styles. we attempted a race together and I ended up pushing her too hard and I didn't push myself nearly enough. If that wasn't a strain enough on our friendship, when plans to do the phm came up I challenged her on how she trained for the previous race. She insisted she had trained enough- and thus how I know that people believe they work hard regardless if it is 2 miles a week or 20. I have to acknowledge that and respect their effort even of if it would seem less than my own. In the end, my friend and I did not do the phm together. It makes me sad. I know we were in the same corral and could have started together even if I had to wait for her at the end. She just refused to entertain the thought that fun to me could be to run and meet with her at the end.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #3917
fashionista311
DIS Veteran

Been reading this thread to see how the race went - congrats to everyone btw! - and a few thoughts. First, it sounds like this race was oversold. And I don't think saying "well...Disney races are for fun, don't worry about a PR" is an excuse either. My dad has set many a PR during marathon weekend in Disney back in the day, and when I ran this year in 2011 (started in the front/middle of B) the race had plenty of course entertainment, there were plenty of new runners that felt very welcome...yet I had enough room to run my own race.

Re: corral placement - If you submit your time and seed your self honestly, and end up with a slower race, it is what it is. Some days are not just not your day, and it can be hard to tell until you start running what your going to end up doing. But purposely lying to get into a higher corral I think is not acceptable - and as a broader lesson outside of running, what kind of lesson does that pass on to your kids? That lying and putting your own selfish needs above the great good is ok? Not cool.

Re: training. Running is a very individual sport. One can go nuts trying to compare themselves to others. Unfortunately, one cannot change their genetics and natural ability. But, what you can do, is change your training. If you worry about those who don't train as hard as you do (especially if they end up beating you) - you can go nuts. Trust me...been there, done that Just be proud of the work you put in, and what you can accomplish! Besides, let's be honest - at the end of the day, this is supposed to be fun, and I don't think any of us are planning to make a career out of being a professional runner
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #3918
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey

You also shared with me that you also do two other walk workouts a week and that you did train...put in the miles. You knew what your pace would be and you also live in Florida so you know the weather conditions. I love you and your honesty. We will get together next year, perhaps for a drink...ok you know mine will be non-alcoholic because next year I will have over 19 years of clean and sober living!
You betcha, sister!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #3919
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda

I feel the same way you do... But I am just saying that while we realize what training is- others have a different definition based on what their goals. Imagine if there is not even a goal to finish, then how much training does one actually feel they need to commit to?

I am trying really hard to get past some of my own baggage with this. I lost someone I considered a dear friend because we had different goals and thus different training styles. we attempted a race together and I ended up pushing her too hard and I didn't push myself nearly enough. If that wasn't a strain enough on our friendship, when plans to do the phm came up I challenged her on how she trained for the previous race. She insisted she had trained enough- and thus how I know that people believe they work hard regardless if it is 2 miles a week or 20. I have to acknowledge that and respect their effort even of if it would seem less than my own. In the end, my friend and I did not do the phm together. It makes me sad. I know we were in the same corral and could have started together even if I had to wait for her at the end. She just refused to entertain the thought that fun to me could be to run and meet with her at the end.
I'm sorry about what happened between you two. We all went through crappy times before that race, just go back and read the thread. Some of us returned to the same crappy issues. Again, I'm sorry.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #3920
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
You also shared with me that you also do two other walk workouts a week and that you did train...put in the miles. You knew what your pace would be and you also live in Florida so you know the weather conditions. I love you and your honesty. We will get together next year, perhaps for a drink...ok you know mine will be non-alcoholic because next year I will have over 19 years of clean and sober living!
Congrats on the 19 years of clean and sober living...now I know why you smoked my *** Cripey said she had a great non-alcoholic drink at the Wave at CR...just sayin'...could be a good meet up point!

Trying to get in touch with a Disney travel comany to see if DH and I can get into the DL 1/2...they say they still have slots so we will see...and this from the man who wasn't crazy about the PHM but apparently really wants a C2C !
Old 03-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #3921
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom

Congrats on the 19 years of clean and sober living...now I know why you smoked my *** Cripey said she had a great non-alcoholic drink at the Wave at CR...just sayin'...could be a good meet up point!

Trying to get in touch with a Disney travel comany to see if DH and I can get into the DL 1/2...they say they still have slots so we will see...and this from the man who wasn't crazy about the PHM but apparently really wants a C2C !
Hey, that's a great idea! I just can't afford the airfare. Good luck, my friend

Old 03-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #3922
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Did I get it in before the thread closed?!

My Race Recap is up! Princess 1/2 Race Recap

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014
Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014
Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014
WDW Half-Marathon, 2014
Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 03-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #3923
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista311 View Post
Been reading this thread to see how the race went - congrats to everyone btw! - and a few thoughts. First, it sounds like this race was oversold. And I don't think saying "well...Disney races are for fun, don't worry about a PR" is an excuse either. My dad has set many a PR during marathon weekend in Disney back in the day, and when I ran this year in 2011 (started in the front/middle of B) the race had plenty of course entertainment, there were plenty of new runners that felt very welcome...yet I had enough room to run my own race.

Re: corral placement - If you submit your time and seed your self honestly, and end up with a slower race, it is what it is. Some days are not just not your day, and it can be hard to tell until you start running what your going to end up doing. But purposely lying to get into a higher corral I think is not acceptable - and as a broader lesson outside of running, what kind of lesson does that pass on to your kids? That lying and putting your own selfish needs above the great good is ok? Not cool.

Re: training. Running is a very individual sport. One can go nuts trying to compare themselves to others. Unfortunately, one cannot change their genetics and natural ability. But, what you can do, is change your training. If you worry about those who don't train as hard as you do (especially if they end up beating you) - you can go nuts. Trust me...been there, done that Just be proud of the work you put in, and what you can accomplish! Besides, let's be honest - at the end of the day, this is supposed to be fun, and I don't think any of us are planning to make a career out of being a professional runner
very well put... on each account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygal041 View Post
I'm sorry about what happened between you two. We all went through crappy times before that race, just go back and read the thread. Some of us returned to the same crappy issues. Again, I'm sorry.
Thanks... it is what it is at this point. I will forever be grateful to her that she got me into running. I do wish we had continued in this journey together... but again... it is what it is.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #3924
Tiger Lily 03
Famous for my Potato Salad
Not nekid anymore ;-)
Flashed through and scooped up some beads in NawwwwLins

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily 03 View Post
Hi friends! This thread will need to be closed since it is over the permitted length. (I will be making that happen soon.)

You may want to start another thread and direct those who post here to that one.

Or, you may want to take up this thread in the 2014 Princess Half-Marathon that is already in progress.

Or, this thread Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Hope to see you there.
OK Thread is closed. Exceeded 251 page allowance. (I tried to wait for a redirect.)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: