Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #391
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeka65844 View Post
Do they have bag check like at all the other races? I anticipate taking a change of clothes/warmer stuff and putting it at bag check.

I'm not sure I like the idea of enjoying a party while still in my running gear.

We're hoping to stay at BWV but would be happy with AKV too. (provided they're still on the host list.....)
Yes, there will be bag check. It is a little different than the bag check at the Princess or Marathon Weekend, though.

For the Wine & Dine, you will bring your bag with you on the bus when you go to the ESPN WWoS and check it prior to getting into your corral. It is taken and sorted by the first letter of your last name and your bib number (like all other races) and put onto rolling carts, similar to what they transport linens in around the hotels. They then put these carts onto U-haul moving trucks and take them over to the finish area. Where the carts are unloaded and the bags are organized and sorted ready for you to pick up after the race.

If this year is like last year, bag check will be outside of Epcot. If you are going to the after party, you need to enter Epcot through the main gates and through security. Long lines, crowded cramped spaces and lots of folks smelling like they had just run a half marathon wasn't pleasant moments after crossing the finish line.
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #392
bigtony777
Disney Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeka65844 View Post
Do they have bag check like at all the other races? I anticipate taking a change of clothes/warmer stuff and putting it at bag check.

I'm not sure I like the idea of enjoying a party while still in my running gear.

We're hoping to stay at BWV but would be happy with AKV too. (provided they're still on the host list.....)
Yes, there is bag check. I recommend taking a washcloth and hand towel to clean up in the bathroom after the race. I have a change of clothes for the party and a sling back pack in my checked bag to carry everything around.

Upcoming: 7/14 - BWV, 11/14 - BWV (W&D 1/2)

2014: Jan - VGC, Mar - BLT
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2008: July - Offsite

Last edited by bigtony777; 02-27-2013 at 08:08 AM.
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #393
jeanigor

Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtony777 View Post
Yes, there is bag check. I recommend taking a washcloth and hand towel to clean up in the bathroom after the race. I have a change of clothes for the party and a sling back pack in my checked bag to carry everything around.
I try to pack baby wipes or wet ones in my check bag. It adds to the 'little bit fresher than Disney sink water' feeling.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #394
capeseal
DIS Veteran

We are hoping to stay at Yacht Club if some standard rooms open up or we'll book at Boardwalk. It worked out really well for us to stumble back to YC after ToT so I figure it will be about the same level of difficulty to run another 3 miles and make the slightly shorter walk back to YC after . Hoping that running after more than a month's training (had a herniated disc that made training for ToT impossible until 4 weeks before) will mean I have more energy to enjoy the after-party as well.
capeseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #395
Skpnw
Mouseketeer

I am planning on running the W&D half as well. I ran the Tink half back in January and would like to get the C2C medal.

I probably will have to stay at one of the value host resorts - unless one of the moderate host resort prices is manageable. But I don't see that happening.

I will not be able to purchase a package (tickets, dining plan, etc) as one of my friends will be joining me but she arrives a day after me and will not be visiting any of the parks.

Can I buy discounted tickets thru rundisney or should I go thru Undercover Tourist for the best deal?

Are the rundisney hotel prices much better than booking directly thru disney.com?

thanks!
Skpnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #396
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

I'm still debating, but I'm pretty sure I'm in for Wine & Dine. After all the $$$ I dropped on my Princess Half trip, I still need to figure out how to afford it.

MoonFaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 AM   #397
jeanigor

Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skpnw View Post
I am planning on running the W&D half as well. I ran the Tink half back in January and would like to get the C2C medal.

I probably will have to stay at one of the value host resorts - unless one of the moderate host resort prices is manageable. But I don't see that happening.

I will not be able to purchase a package (tickets, dining plan, etc) as one of my friends will be joining me but she arrives a day after me and will not be visiting any of the parks.

Can I buy discounted tickets thru rundisney or should I go thru Undercover Tourist for the best deal?

Are the rundisney hotel prices much better than booking directly thru disney.com?

thanks!
RunDisney usually offers event tickets, which have a discounted price that is a better deal than an online ticket retailer such as Undercover Tourist (thumbs up to them though, I've got tickets from them for normal trips a bunch). Couple of things to note about the tickets though: 1) They are not upgradable. What you buy is what you get. You can't add days on later or something like that. 2) They are only valid one week on either side of the event.

As far as lodging goes, I am still a fan of using a travel agent to get the best possible deal (if you aren't a DVC member or are not comfortable renting points)
Old 02-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #398
cimrk01
Mouseketeer

Just ran the Princess over the weekend and I'm already itching to do another Disney event. Several questions...

How large is this event compared to the Princess?

Should I be worried with the lack of basic running etiquette with this crowd? (ie: running more than two abreast, stopping abruptly without going to the side/raising arm/looking back etc.,)

What is the earliest spectators in your party who will be attending the after hours Finish Line Party can be allowed into Epcot?

No Race retreat/cheer squad package or assigned cheer spots along the course, correct?

A list of the characters on course and at what mile markers (understand they might or might not change it up)

Lastly, does anyone know of a list of what corral one can potentially get into with a 10k of 1:06? Understand the corral cut off placement can shift year to year depending on the volume. Just trying to roughly estimate where I might fall into if I stuck with that number and didn't register for another 10k prior to the race.

cimrk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #399
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimrk01 View Post
Just ran the Princess over the weekend and I'm already itching to do another Disney event. Several questions...

Should I be worried with the lack of basic running etiquette with this crowd? (ie: running more than two abreast, stopping abruptly without going to the side/raising arm/looking back etc.,)

What is the earliest spectators in your party who will be attending the after hours Finish Line Party can be allowed into Epcot?

No Race retreat/cheer squad package or assigned cheer spots along the course, correct?

A list of the characters on course and at what mile markers (understand they might or might not change it up)

Lastly, does anyone know of a list of what corral one can potentially get into with a 10k of 1:06? Understand the corral cut off placement can shift year to year depending on the volume. Just trying to roughly estimate where I might fall into if I stuck with that number and didn't register for another 10k prior to the race.
Let me see what I can do to answer these and if I'm way off on anything, everyone else jump in here.

Last year's race registered 14,500 runners and I believe something like 12,000 actually finished. I have no idea how many started the race though.

As far as the race etiquette goes- I think the further back you start makes a difference. I didn't have a proof of time so I started in the last corral, thinking it wouldn't make a difference. But I think that because I had so many walkers around me, it may have a made a difference as I ended up actually running an extra mile (according to my Nike+) zig-zagging through everyone for the majority of the race. Once I got to DHS , the crowd around me had thinned out alot, and I was able to pick up my pace until the sidewalk that takes you to Epcot. It's such a small area, unless you're Speedy Gonzalez and in the very front, you'd run into a crowd regardless. I really didn't have a problem with sudden stoppers or arms being thrown around. The couple of times that happened, I had plenty of opporunity to go around them. For the most part, everybody is super nice and just there to have a great time!

I don't believe there were any designated cheer areas other than at the finish, but somehow people managed to find their way all over the course to cheer everyone on. I think some of the best groups was the Lululemon peeps as you ran into DHS. They had the BEST signs!

As far as characters go, you get who you get, when you get them. The only one for sure seemed to be Pluto who was in his usual spot that he's always in at AK during the day. And I think the Darth Vader in front of Star Tours is a customary standby.

I'm going to guess with a 2-2.5 hour estimated finish time, maybe corral b-c? Opinions anyone??

Hope this helps some!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #400
jeanigor

Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimrk01 View Post

1) Guessing between 14K & 16K runners this year for 2013 the Wine & Dine Half.

2) This isn't going to be politically correct, but the Princess and the Tinkerbell have the largest amount of runners who lack etiquette, in my opinion. Most of this is based on the draw and appeal for new participants, which is great, but disrespectful to other racers.

3) I believe entrance into the after party is listed as 10:30pm. But last year they let people in at 7pm? Sort of how they let party goers in early for a Halloween Party at MK.

4) Due to safety concerns with the night race, runDisney doesn't officially condone on course cheering. However, that said, spectators are usually found:
-on the bridge/overpass near the McDonalds on Osceola Parkway (by All Stars)
-around the entrance to Hollywood Studios all the way up until where the course goes along the water
-along the land side of course from where the course comes out from under the bridge by the Boardwalk, by the Dolphin, by the Yacht and Beach Clubs all the way up until International Gateway, where the course goes back stage

5) Characters are not at Mile Markers as they are with other races, they are a little more spread out to be convenient.

6) Not sure. If you enter the fastest time without proof, that usually puts you in the middle of the field. If your proof of time is better than that, then it will move you up.

Last edited by jeanigor; 02-28-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #401
StarGirl11
DIS Veteran

I don't think either of my trainers approve of my tentative plans to run this but I am basically going screw it. I've let them dictate for the lack of a better term for the last year now exactly how often I run and whether or not I race.

And I am actually tired of it. I know, I know, they know whats better for me but honestly at times I feel like I am talking to a brick wall. Like when I explained what happened with the Princess neither seemed to realize that my problem was mainly over heating, not muscle pains (unless you count my arches, which I don't). Physically I felt absolutely wonderful after the race. I just didn't think it was wise to continue when I was starting to develop nausea while running. Without the nausea I am positive I would have finished with no real problem other than muscle soreness.

There a good group I am just tired of my trainers at the moment. Really glad I am in CA this weekend or I may snap at both of them out of irritation.

Finished RunDisney Races: Princess 2012, Tinkerbell 2012-2014, Disneyland Half 2011-2012, Dumbo Double Dare 2013, Wine and Dine 2013, Disneyland 5k 2012, WDW 5k 2012
Finished Races: Nike Women's Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Marathon 2011, Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon 2011, Santa Anita Derby 5k 2011-2013, Golden Gallop 10k 2013, Surf City 10k 2013, Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon 2011, Rock 'n' Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon 2011, 9/11 Remembrance Run Half Marathon 2011, Race On the Base 10k 2014, and other races I am missing off the top of my head

Upcoming RunDisney Races: Dumbo Double Dare 2014, Wine and Dine 2014 & Avengers Half Marathon 2014 (aka my first attempt at a double back since 2011), WDW Marathon 2015 (I have no clue whether or not I am doing this or LA yet), Tinkerbell 2015, Dumbo Double Dare 2015, Avengers 2015 (if I don't do these three I will be shocked),
Upcoming Races: Santa Anita Derby 5k 2014, Innovation Run 5k, El Segundo Run For Education 10k 2014, LA Marathon 2015 (Going back and forth between this and WDW)
StarGirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #402
shelleylmu
Earning My Ears

Hi! New to the site and to running! My DH and I decided to run the W&D this year. Are DVC members so went ahead and booked at SS since it's our home resort. We were hoping to switch over to BCV or BWV at the 7 month mark but sounds like that may be easiler said than done. We've recently started training and am feeling pretty good so far, I'm glad we still have several months to keep working on it. I can't believe I'm excited about running - never thought this would happen
shelleylmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #403
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

I've gone from a maybe to a yes. I'm be running the half, and both my DH & me will be doing the 5K.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #404
Tropical Wilds
The Command considers us a bunch of losers. But we’re gonna do it right this time, ’cause we’re the best. If we don’t... We’ll be drummed out of the corps.

I'm officially in for the Wine and Dine... It will be my first official race, other then the little ones they do around here. I'm honestly pretty excited.

Question though... Just how aggressive are the sweepers? I don't plan on needing them, but reading some of the times from the Princess, I'm seeing completes that are 3 hr, 45 mins and 17 MM averages. Is that normal?
11/1994 ~ CBR, 11/1996 ~ CBR, 11/1999 ~ Off-site (Grad Night!), 11/2007 ~ CBR, 9/2011 ~ ASMu, 1/2012 ~ POP, 10/2012 ~ POP, 1/2013 ~ Poly, 5/2013 ~ POP, 11/7/2013 ~ CBR Wine and Dine Half Marathon! 2/2014 ~ Poly Glass Slipper Challenge

Next trip: 11/2014 ~ Wine and Dine Half 5th Anniversary

°o°Find Me on Flickr°o°My Blog - The Disney Chef°o°
Tropical Wilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #405
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Wilds View Post
I'm officially in for the Wine and Dine... It will be my first official race, other then the little ones they do around here. I'm honestly pretty excited.

Question though... Just how aggressive are the sweepers? I don't plan on needing them, but reading some of the times from the Princess, I'm seeing completes that are 3 hr, 45 mins and 17 MM averages. Is that normal?
The sweeper timing starts when the very last person crosses the start line. I had a 30-35 min cushion for the PHM because I started in corral D.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: