Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #106
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Subbing in... so sorry that both of you got a stomach bug on your trip. That makes it challenging, esp. with all that Disney food.

Liked having some food reviews for Universal too. We went to Disney last year for a vacation and got free dining plan.
We are going back to Orlando this year for a dance comp. and will try to hit up Universal for a couple of days (no Disney this time though )

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #107
ILikeWaffles
Mouseketeer

That evening we decided to explore some of the deluxe resorts to see Christmas decorations. While we were at the Boardwalk, we picked up an Oreo Bon Bon cupcake.

This was white cake with cookies and cream frosting inside. Everything about it sounded delicious, but I didn't like it. Pete ate the whole thing. He really liked it, but thought that the frosting was a little too whipped for his taste.

We had dinner that evening at 'Ohana. I'll just go ahead and preface this review by saying that I hated everything from start to finish. I didn't get as many pictures as I should have, because I just wasn't enjoying myself at all.

We started with pineapple and coconut Welcome bread.

Pete said this was just ok. He didn't eat much of it, because he was looking forward to the rest of the meal.

The waitress brought the dipping sauces next. There was Pineapple Sweet and Sour, Chimichurri, and Peanut.

Next came the salad and the appetizers.

We didn't eat much of the salad. Pete really liked the honey lime dressing, but he was more interested in everything else that was to come.

The appetizers were Pork Dumplings with Sweet and Sour Sauce and Honey-Coriander Chicken Wings. Pete thought that both were delicious. He probably would have kept eating until there was nothing left in the bowl, but the waitress brought the Noodles and Stir Fried Vegetables.

This is when they started bringing meat around.

Pete kept eating shrimp, steak, and chicken. I tried some of all it, but everything seemed to have a funny taste. He was stuffed by the time dessert came, but he ate it anyway.

He ate the whole serving, then told me that it would be my job to roll him out of the restaurant. The waitress came by with two cupcakes for our anniversary.

Pete loved this restaurant. He still thinks it was one of the dining highlights of the trip. I'm hesitant to want to go back, even though I know my experience was just because I was sick.
ASMO -Feb. 2014

ILikeWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #108
ILikeWaffles
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emteach View Post
Subbing in... so sorry that both of you got a stomach bug on your trip. That makes it challenging, esp. with all that Disney food.

Liked having some food reviews for Universal too. We went to Disney last year for a vacation and got free dining plan.
We are going back to Orlando this year for a dance comp. and will try to hit up Universal for a couple of days (no Disney this time though )
Pete bounced back much quicker than I did, but we both tried to make the best of it.

Overall, the dining options inside the parks at Universal seemed to be lacking. The dining options at CityWalk were great, though. I hope you have a great time on your trip this year!
ASMO -Feb. 2014

Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #109
DLFan123
living the dream-literally!

It's really too bad that you had to be sick on your trip! I love the looks of that salmon salad at LTT. If they had that regularly, I'd be more interested to eat there again. I love the ooey gooey toffee cake! Being sick can really throw off your taste buds I think; maybe that it why it was salty. Sounds like Pete thought it was ok.
DLFan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #110
PrincessTiannaLove
Earning My Ears

Can I just say....I love that you aren't afraid or ashamed to let us know how much of sweet tooth you have! I love it! You are my kind of girl....However, my DH isn't as much as I am, so I think he would laugh me up and down if I tried everything I really want to try! I am living through you & your desserts!
PrincessTiannaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #111
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Loving your report, but not that you got sick! We only stayed at POR one night of our trip in December and found ourselves with extra QS credits. Their sandwiches, both the turkey and the muffaletta, make GREAT on the road meals for anyone driving! Delish!

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 1/2015 - CR
lovingeire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #112
ILikeWaffles
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFan123 View Post
It's really too bad that you had to be sick on your trip! I love the looks of that salmon salad at LTT. If they had that regularly, I'd be more interested to eat there again. I love the ooey gooey toffee cake! Being sick can really throw off your taste buds I think; maybe that it why it was salty. Sounds like Pete thought it was ok.
We went back later in the trip, and I loved the ooey gooey toffee cake. It was probably my favorite dessert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTiannaLove View Post
Can I just say....I love that you aren't afraid or ashamed to let us know how much of sweet tooth you have! I love it! You are my kind of girl....However, my DH isn't as much as I am, so I think he would laugh me up and down if I tried everything I really want to try! I am living through you & your desserts!
There's no time to indulge your sweet tooth like vacation. Pete doesn't love sweets as much as I do, but enjoying a few desserts was one of the best parts of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingeire View Post
Loving your report, but not that you got sick! We only stayed at POR one night of our trip in December and found ourselves with extra QS credits. Their sandwiches, both the turkey and the muffaletta, make GREAT on the road meals for anyone driving! Delish!
We had a few credits leftover as well. We used them at Earl of Sandwich to get a few sandwiches for the drive back.
ASMO -Feb. 2014

Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #113
ILikeWaffles
Mouseketeer

Starring Rolls

The next morning, Pete and I had an ADR at Grand Floridian Cafe. I was still feeling sort of exhausted, so we canceled it so I could sleep in a little. We decided to get breakfast at Starring Rolls Bakery after we went on Toy Story Midway Mania a couple of times.

Part of the bakery is set up as self-serve. The other part is counter service, and that's where they keep the cupcakes and brownies.

Pete and I each decided to have a cupcake for breakfast. I ordered the Red Velvet.

It's no surprise that I didn't like it. Peter ate it. He's not really a fan of red velvet, but he thought it was decent. There was too much icing for his taste, but he just scraped some of it off.

Pete ordered the Butterfinger Cupcake.

It's chocolate cake with vanilla frosting coated in chocolate and Butterfinger. There's chocolate frosting in the middle. Pete let me have a bite, and I actually thought it was really good. I ate about half of it. I figured that it was fair, since he had been eating so much of my stuff over the previous few days.
ASMO -Feb. 2014

Old 02-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #114
ILikeWaffles
Mouseketeer

Sci-Fi Dine In Theater

We had lunch at Sci Fi Dine In Theater. We tried to check in around 15 minutes before our ADR, but the person at the desk told us to come back at our ADR time to check in. Once we checked in, we were seated in about 15 minutes. We were seated in a car, in the back row behind a family of four.

For our appetizers, I ordered the onion rings.

I thought the breading was really good, but I thought the onion tasted weird. Pete thought they were very good. I ended up taking the breading off and just eating that.

Pete had the spinach and artichoke dip.

Pete thought it was "above average." I also liked it. We ran out of chips, but I think Pete used the rest of the dip for his fries.

I had a bacon cheeseburger with fries.

The burger was delicious, but it didn't sit so well with my stomach. The fries were standard as far as Disney fries. I ate a few, but I was getting full, and I really wanted dessert.

Pete had the All American Picnic burger with sweet potato fries.

The burger is topped with a hot dog, sauerkraut, and grilled onions. He thought this was great. It convinced him that he would like to come back here again.

For dessert, I had the apple crumble.

I thought this was perfect. The crust part was so good. Pete had a bite, but I wouldn't let him have more than that. I'm such a mean wife.

Pete had the peanut butter chocolate cake.

The outside of the cake was really hard, and it gave the cake a really crunchy texture. Pete also said that the cake had a kind of bitter taste. He wouldn't order it again.

We both agreed that we would return here. I was a little nervous about this ADR, because I had seen so many bad reviews here, but we both thought it was great. Pete said that next time he would definitely want to get a milkshake.
ASMO -Feb. 2014

Old 02-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #115
Emteach
DIS Veteran

We have eaten at Sci Fi on both of our last trips and loved it. We found the food very good, large portions, great atmosphere and we had the best waiter on our trip. I too have seen some terrible reviews but we had a great experience there too
Did you guys have the milkshakes to drink? Although that might not have sat well on your tummy.

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #116
sheila <3 WDW
DIS Veteran

More good reviews. Sorry about your disappointing experience at Ohanas. I want to eat there, but by the time I decided I wanted to try it for our upcoming trip it was too late and I haven't been able to get a reservation.

The third time’s the charm! A March 2013 10th anniversary pre-trip report! The 3rd time's the charm! Our 10th anniversary March 2013 TR!
The 3rd time's the charm! Our 10th anniversary 03-2013 Dining Report!
sheila <3 WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #117
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

I feel like people either love or hate Sci-Fi. Glad to see a positive review as we have a reservation there in Aug! And the Butterfinger cupcakes are to die for! That's what I had for breakfast on our Hollywood Studios day! Yum!

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 1/2015 - CR
lovingeire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:49 AM   #118
angelmav
DIS Veteran

Great reviews and awesome pics at Sci-fi, thats hard to do!

Hope you were feeling better soon!
angelmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #119
Jacksonev1
Mouseketeer

I am enjoying your reviews! Thanks for taking so many awesome pictures. I can never remember to take pictures when we visit.
Jacksonev1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: