Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #136
Netty
A six foot palm from Wal-Mart would make a very festive Christmas tree
Especially if covered with FROG ornaments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibeau View Post
Sorry, perhaps I shouldn't have resurrected the thread . I just wanted to let those who wanted to get one know how quick and easy it was

Ali
Ali sorry my post wasn't aimed at you! it was a general comment on this
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
Because its still unresolved Jeanette. There should be no problem on the US side, no-one will be prosecuted, the rental companies are self insuring so that should be covered but there are 2 sticking points as far as I understand it.
1, It is actually the law we need one, doesn't matter how many people say its been deferred or against the road act of 1949 its still the law of the land and open to lawyers who love finding loopholes in the law. Until its tested thru a court no-one can be 100% sure either way.
2, UK insurers won't say if we are(or are not) covered for personal liability, until they admit we are covered there is no guarantee they will pay out on a car accident.

I hate paying out for anything and I hope this is resolved before I go in April but as it stands now I am on the fence but leaning towards what others say, for the sake of £5.50 it might just be worth doing.
yep I understand all of that but I for one am not going to be worrying over it
Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #137
Netty
A six foot palm from Wal-Mart would make a very festive Christmas tree
Especially if covered with FROG ornaments!

This is just posted on the Dibb

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/video...nts-in-Florida
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #138
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
Because its still unresolved Jeanette. There should be no problem on the US side, no-one will be prosecuted, the rental companies are self insuring so that should be covered but there are 2 sticking points as far as I understand it.
1, It is actually the law we need one, doesn't matter how many people say its been deferred or against the road act of 1949 its still the law of the land and open to lawyers who love finding loopholes in the law. Until its tested thru a court no-one can be 100% sure either way.
2, UK insurers won't say if we are(or are not) covered for personal liability, until they admit we are covered there is no guarantee they will pay out on a car accident.

I hate paying out for anything and I hope this is resolved before I go in April but as it stands now I am on the fence but leaning towards what others say, for the sake of £5.50 it might just be worth doing.
I am with you on this - however I am thinking it is probably not going to be resolved in time for us to go in April and as we will have to make a special trip on a Saturday to Peterborough I am going to have to make a decision in the next 2 weeks as we are busy all the weekends following.

As it stands it is a law and only the enforcement has been deferred.

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 AM   #139
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

The other issue that a lot of people seem to overlook is that its only the Highway Patrol that are deferring enforcement - get a problem or pulled over by the local PD and you may have issues.

The UK equivalent would be the Traffic Police deferring a law - you're fine on motorways and the larger A roads but get pulled by the Met, Kent, Sussex Police etc and you'd have a problem.

bazzanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #140
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzanoid View Post
The other issue that a lot of people seem to overlook is that its only the Highway Patrol that are deferring enforcement - get a problem or pulled over by the local PD and you may have issues.

The UK equivalent would be the Traffic Police deferring a law - you're fine on motorways and the larger A roads but get pulled by the Met, Kent, Sussex Police etc and you'd have a problem.

No, not overlooked, its what chmurf was concerned about earlier in the thread. The authourities have tried to get the message out this is not an issue, the only issues are technicalities of law & insurance but neither can be 100% problem free. The law would have to be tested in court, liabilty insurance needs clarification from the Association Of British Insurers who upto yesterday would not comment either way.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #141
Red-Snapper
DIS Veteran

Clarification by the ABI would have little effect on the stance taken by individual Inusrers btw - which is presumably why they arent commenting.

They would have to get a view from each Insurer - which almost certainly would be deifferent depending on the company e.g. just look at the different approachs to claims for ash cloud delay for instance.
Red-Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #142
mickg7dyd
DIS Veteran

Hi,
I do find all the talk about this very odd. I went to my local Post Office today with my 2 part licence, photograph and passport and paid £5.50 and 5 minutes later I walked out with my IDP.
Will I need it? Maybe not, but I also hope I don't need CDW SLI etc and travel insurance but I pay for those too, it's called peace of mind..!

Mick.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.!
mickg7dyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #143
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickg7dyd View Post
Hi,
I do find all the talk about this very odd. I went to my local Post Office today with my 2 part licence, photograph and passport and paid £5.50 and 5 minutes later I walked out with my IDP.
Will I need it? Maybe not, but I also hope I don't need CDW SLI etc and travel insurance but I pay for those too, it's called peace of mind..!

Mick.
totally agree.
We do not drive over there but if we did, I would get one. Find all the fuss over £5.50 when the holiday costs thousands, a bit strange.

Its why we buy travel insurance, for peace of mind.
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #144
Magic Megadegs
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickg7dyd
Hi,

Mick.
Amen!

Dec / Jan 1990/1991 Villa Xmas, August 1993 I Drive, November 2001 I Drive, August 2003 I Drive Honeymoon , Dec / Jan 2010/2011 Reunion Resort Xmas, August 2013 Caribe Royale & Old Key West Resort , February 2014 Holiday Inn Resort LBV
Magic Megadegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #145
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Hi,

Mick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthtatty View Post
totally agree.
We do not drive over there but if we did, I would get one. Find all the fuss over £5.50 when the holiday costs thousands, a bit strange.

Sorry but absolutley zero to do with cost to me, it would annoy me getting a document thats not required more than giving me peace of mind. If it is still law when I go then I will no doubt get it but I will leave it as late as poss and hope they change the law.
It also means closing the business for half a day and a 25 mile round trip if I did it in person or do with AA but that does not bother me as much as being forced to get something that is totally not required.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek

Last edited by wayneg; 02-23-2013 at 05:05 PM.
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #146
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

Quote:
Hi,

Mick.
^ this.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #147
Rachandgarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
^ this.
+1 more.

End of the day, for the price of a pint (probably less than, actually) in Epcot - I think abiding by the law has to be the way forward. Probably will all end up being a storm in a tea cup, but why would anyone risk being the 'test case' over such an insignificant amount over the cost of the holiday (x thousand pounds!).

20 days to go - not worth risking it (IMO)

Excited for the trip - and nearly packed as well.
WDW Commando Club member #197
Rachandgarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #148
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Hi,

Mick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthtatty View Post
totally agree.

Hubby picked his IDP up yesterday, and for us that is one less thing to worry about over the next few months, it's all done and dusted and for five minutes at a Post Office, we don't have to think about it again

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:10 AM   #149
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Hi,

Mick.
It's not the £5.50 that bothers me - its the hassle of it.

Both DH & I drive so we both need photos doing (because I can't find the ones from our driving licence renewals that I put in a 'safe place') then we either have to a 30 mile round trip to the closest post office that issues them or pay £5 for the privilege of the AA or RAC posting them.

It's just a PITA!

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #150
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

It has been formally announced today that this law will not be enforced while steps are taken to formally repeal it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: