Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #2836
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I hope I can post some photos soon.

The new computer is going back to HP for repairs. Not too happy about it as I will be without a computer for ?

I also have the fun job of transferring everything off the computer and onto something (won't fit on my old computer now as I have added more photos to the new one). I guess I will be spending more $ on an external hard drive.

So tired of setting up computers! They already set this one back to factory settings and I had to re-install and delete stuff trying to get it to work.

As you can see I have not had any time to sew!
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:53 AM   #2837
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
This will be our first time staying at a value resort when we go in June. I'm curious about whether we will enjoy it or not. Since we are going in the summer (HOT!!!!) I am pretty sure we will need a shower at least one time while we are there!

Here is a dress that I finished up today:

DH and I don't love values. We've stayed at Pop the last two trips because we took two trips in one year and were trying to economize. We really love the mods the best. But, hey, if it means a trip to Disney, I would stay in a value again.

Love that dress! Great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalizzie View Post
Oh my gosh it worked!!! I have a Viking Rose--4 inch field. I thought a simple mickey head applique would be a good simple way to get to know it a bit--I did embroider with it a few times like 10 years ago when I first got it but never again. I stitched it out on a layer of heavyweight stablilizer (which I'm glad I never threw out, I have a bunch of stabilizers) and a large scrap of knit fabric, then did the applique in a scrap of flannel. I just cut out the whole thing since it's all scrap fabric and my 6 year old wanted it, but now I know I can do it on a T shirt and have it work!

I'm going to get some Cars fabric and cheap plain T shirts and make matching shirts for my boys I can't believe it worked! I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread!
Glad it worked for you. Now, we need to see photos of your work. I hope you have many hours of enjoyment making things for your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post

The new computer is going back to HP for repairs. Not too happy about it as I will be without a computer for ?

I also have the fun job of transferring everything off the computer and onto something (won't fit on my old computer now as I have added more photos to the new one). I guess I will be spending more $ on an external hard drive.

So tired of setting up computers! They already set this one back to factory settings and I had to re-install and delete stuff trying to get it to work.

Computers can be such a pain!! I will say, however, that since I went to Apple products, I don't have any problems what-so-ever. But I do remember the frustration I felt when things went wrong. Hope you get it back soon and it's better than new!

So, I told you a while back about my new Elligante 3 Babylock machine. I've had one class on it and I have not been able to sew anything or play with it due to first my Mom going into the hospital and this week, my Dad was there. Then, DH and I both got sick, so I haven't had time or felt like getting down there. I'm hoping I feel well enough tomorrow to get down to my sewing room. I have a strip-work skirt cut out and ready to go, so that will be my first project. I love my new machine, though. It has a feature that when you embroider, you don't have to hoop your fabric. It actually bastes around the edges of your project to secure it. I love the color screen and how easy it is to change from embroidery to sewing also. I don't have to take the embroidery arm off, just move a switch. It will sew in all directions too. Okay, sorry to keep going on and on. I have four more classes to take, two for embroidery and two for sewing. I'll be sure to post whatever I make...and probably a picture of my machine too.
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #2838
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

I'm trying to catch up after being at WDW for 3 days and then back to work yesterday. You all have been very busy, I hope I didn't miss anyone, everything looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
I haven’t posted in forever so got carried away with this post, but I know you’ll humor me.

I love string backpacks. I don’t like to carry a purse on vacation, so I shove my wallet in my front pocket and put everything else in the backpack. I go to Disney in February and have had a couple of very rainy and very cold visits and the backpack is perfect for carrying a sweatshirt, poncho (always a poncho, no matter what the weatherman guesses the weather might be) and a few other things if need be. I have a pullover windbreaker, so sometimes by the end of the evening if I’m wearing the sweatshirt, I can fold up the backpack and put in in the front “kangaroo pouch” of the windbreaker. I like to travel light.

Since I tend to blend in with all of the other distinguished looking women at Disney World, I thought I’d make it easier for you to spot me. Here’s my latest backpack.

Hanging from one side is hand sanitizer

And from the other is a “place holder” which I’m planning to replace with a fun key chain.

I also made a cover for a notepad. My son will be with me for half of the trip, but since I usually go solo it’s nice to have something to do at dinner, so I write down thoughts about the day . . .

I put smaller things in a zippered pencil case, although it occurred to me I should probably make one, but it’s cheaper to buy one than to buy the zipper to make one!

I made tissue covers for the children’s sermon at church a few weeks ago so made myself one, too. I also made a cover for my first aid kit.

Cozy in the front pocket.

I made myself a new wallet this year. Last year I designed it especially for my trip, and other than the pocket that I made for the room safe key (whoops) it was exactly what I wanted. I ended up using the pocket for my pills each day, so I kept it in this year’s wallet.

A tri-fold wallet so it fits in my front pocket.

With a little coin pocket

Inside pockets for license, insurance card, credit card, rewards card, and center pocket for room key.

Aforementioned inside pocket (gotta start using aforementioned more, that’s a good word!)

And a secret pocket. I keep a few large bills in there AND I always keep some ones, too. Shhh, it’s a secret.

Now you’ll be able to spot me if you see me at Disney. Look near any of the snack carts.

I love everything but the backpack is amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Trying to sell a house is so stressful. I guess I should be happy (?) that the market here is terrible and that my neighbors all bought more than they could afford so my neighborhood is littered with foreclosures so we would never be able to sell our house anyway. (sigh.) It does help purge though, so that's always good. We had a realtor come to our old house and she took TERRIBLE photos, they were all off-kilter and some were blurry, and none of them showed the rooms, more like just the furniture, so I used my super-wide lens and took my own photos, I truly think it helps to have great photos.

I have been busy busy, my mother in law got here friday for a week visit, though we are supposed to be getting an uber snowstorm so it is unclear if she will be staying longer. She has been occupying my kiddos so I can work on etsy orders and finish up a LOT of unfinished projects. I finished this quilt which I started last summer.

And I got a commission from a friend I have known since High School to make a baby quilt as a gift for a friend of hers. I love the way it is turning out, I got the whole quilt top done, now onto the tedious task of layers/quilting/trimming/binding.

I think most of the appliques came from Lynnie Pinnie, I think they turned out adorable. It's for a little girl who has an under-the-sea theme nursery.

Now back to my little sweatshop so I can get back to my projects.
Jen
The quilts are beautiful.

Quote:
Since the kiddos have already received their outfits, I figured I would share here. I made these for the Star Wars week Big Give, the wish kid is 7, and has twin sisters who are 4. The dresses are simply sweet animal-kingdom inspired, then I made star-wars-mickey-head shirts for all 3 kids, including one pink one purple for the girls. I made shorts to go with his, they are easy-fits with bargo pockets, I think they turned out really cute. I love being able to contribute to these gives, I am so glad I found this group and you have all been so welcoming and inspirational.

Jen
Those area great outfits.

Quote:
So happy that the dress turned out just right! I was so worried at the beginning of your post!

I've never heard of that site. But I definitely am too cheap to spend $15 per month on designs.

Make sure you come back and post some pictures of what you make with all that pretty fabric!!

I love all the stuff that you sent. But I have to admit that the Mickey dresses are my favorites. I'm not a huge SW fan though so I guess I'm biased.

This will be our first time staying at a value resort when we go in June. I'm curious about whether we will enjoy it or not. Since we are going in the summer (HOT!!!!) I am pretty sure we will need a shower at least one time while we are there!

That is a beautiful dress.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #2839
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post

What a pain in the keister! I'm glad that we have a resident computer expert at my house. DH hates fixing them but he often can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
DH and I don't love values. We've stayed at Pop the last two trips because we took two trips in one year and were trying to economize. We really love the mods the best. But, hey, if it means a trip to Disney, I would stay in a value again.

So, I told you a while back about my new Elligante 3 Babylock machine. I've had one class on it and I have not been able to sew anything or play with it due to first my Mom going into the hospital and this week, my Dad was there. Then, DH and I both got sick, so I haven't had time or felt like getting down there. I'm hoping I feel well enough tomorrow to get down to my sewing room. I have a strip-work skirt cut out and ready to go, so that will be my first project. I love my new machine, though. It has a feature that when you embroider, you don't have to hoop your fabric. It actually bastes around the edges of your project to secure it. I love the color screen and how easy it is to change from embroidery to sewing also. I don't have to take the embroidery arm off, just move a switch. It will sew in all directions too. Okay, sorry to keep going on and on. I have four more classes to take, two for embroidery and two for sewing. I'll be sure to post whatever I make...and probably a picture of my machine too.
We are staying at the new value resort, Art of Animation. I had a friend who stayed there recently (and she is quite picky) who came home raving about it. We'll see how we like it.

Your new machine sounds awesome!!! It sounds like the machine that I played with at the sewing expo. It was beyond what I wanted to spend when I replaced my machine back in the fall but I really loved the features. It is smart to take the classes to learn all the ways to use the machine. I'm sure my machine has a ton of features that I'm not utilizing. And I don't sew on mine because I like being able to sew while the machine is embroidering for me.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #2840
rebeccalizzie
Earning My Ears

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! Now the problem is...I can't get to the fabric store today! :rofl: I keep a fairly small stash of fabric because I like to buy per project and I have NO Disney themed fabric. I'm going to have to see if I can be creative with what I have. Since I seem to have found my sew-jo this week I want to run with it before it hides again!

I've actually been sewing for many years and go through phases--sometimes I sew like crazy, sometimes (like the last year or so) I barely sew at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomtas View Post
Could anyone advise me on a good machine/s that can sew and embroider? Or is it better to have two different machines? This isn't something I will be getting right away but I do want to research and watch costs (so I can later convince DH that I really need one! He is a notorious cheapskate ). What features are most important in a machine? I'm just trying to understand it all (sewing, embroidery, serger, etc.). Thanks in advance for any information, time to settle in for a winter storm with the kiddos
As someone with a 4x4 field, I agree with the advice to get a 5x7. The embroideries I can make with a 4 inch field are perfect for a shirt for my two year old but a little small for a T shirt for my 6 year old. You are really limited with a 4 inch field, which is mostly why I've never played with it much--there is just so little I can really do. I also can't do monogramming very easily for the same reason--I'd have to re-hoop a few times to get anything more than a single initial monogram.

For me it's been better to have a combo machine because I mostly just sew and my machine does a VERY nice job sewing. I upgraded from a cheaper machine and can really tell the difference, so for a beginner I'd really recommend a nice sewing machine rather than getting a cheaper sewing machine in order to afford a decent embroidery machine. Saves SO much frustration.

I do also have a serger which is really nice to have but definitely not necessary so I wouldn't worry about it right now if I were you.
rebeccalizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #2841
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
I haven’t posted in forever so got carried away with this post, but I know you’ll humor me.

I love string backpacks. I don’t like to carry a purse on vacation, so I shove my wallet in my front pocket and put everything else in the backpack. I go to Disney in February and have had a couple of very rainy and very cold visits and the backpack is perfect for carrying a sweatshirt, poncho (always a poncho, no matter what the weatherman guesses the weather might be) and a few other things if need be. I have a pullover windbreaker, so sometimes by the end of the evening if I’m wearing the sweatshirt, I can fold up the backpack and put in in the front “kangaroo pouch” of the windbreaker. I like to travel light.
WOW... I just love your backpack. And I love how you added "God Bless You" on your tissue holder.

Quote:

Jen
Great job on the quilts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
Grandfather kind of poo-pooed the dress. He said he was thinking of something more simple. he didn't look happy at all. So much so that I went out and bought a pattern that resembled my dresses from the contest and some more fabric to make a new dress. When I called to offer that to him he let me know that he gave the dress to his grand-daughter Friday night.

He told me that she only had one word for it..... EXCELLENT ! She put it on and twirled around in it for 2 hours and refused to take it off. Of course Mom was happy. He was really surprised that she liked it. he said he didn't know little girls like princess things so much. It fit her perfectly with a little room to grow. He also told me that he will find a time to bring her over in it so I can see her in it.
So glad he still gave it to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post

So cute, I love the colors. Might have to put a Chip and Dale outfit on our list for our next trip. They are always so much fun and they LOVE my mom. LOL
Chip and Dale are always so cute. I actually want to make shirts GG with some farmer Chip & Dales I have.

Quote:
Since the kiddos have already received their outfits, I figured I would share here. I made these for the Star Wars week Big Give, the wish kid is 7, and has twin sisters who are 4. The dresses are simply sweet animal-kingdom inspired, then I made star-wars-mickey-head shirts for all 3 kids, including one pink one purple for the girls. I made shorts to go with his, they are easy-fits with bargo pockets, I think they turned out really cute. I love being able to contribute to these gives, I am so glad I found this group and you have all been so welcoming and inspirational.

Jen
Loved everything that you made and the kids seemed to love them too.

Quote:

I keep looking at Southwest's website. Since they don't have change fees I'm tempted to go a day early just to hang out at the resort.
I would love to just hang out too... and split stays are great. We do this on almost every trip now.

Quote:
The dress is adorable.

Quote:
Oh my gosh it worked!!! I have a Viking Rose--4 inch field. I thought a simple mickey head applique would be a good simple way to get to know it a bit--I did embroider with it a few times like 10 years ago when I first got it but never again. I stitched it out on a layer of heavyweight stablilizer (which I'm glad I never threw out, I have a bunch of stabilizers) and a large scrap of knit fabric, then did the applique in a scrap of flannel. I just cut out the whole thing since it's all scrap fabric and my 6 year old wanted it, but now I know I can do it on a T shirt and have it work!

I'm going to get some Cars fabric and cheap plain T shirts and make matching shirts for my boys I can't believe it worked! I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread!
Welcome to the addiction
Old 02-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #2842
VBAndrea
DIS Veteran

Our house update is we are under contract -- both parties that offered upped their offers and the one offering the highest wanted to close asap so it was an easy decision. Just waiting on inspection now and as long as that goes OK we should be set. I pray they don't find anything major -- they shouldn't, but I always still worry.

I still haven't made it to my sewing space. Hopefully this weekend.... I really need to get some things done! Today I have to fill out registration forms for school next year. Good news is they are doing 6th grade so we don't have switch schools yet Bad news is tuition got raised quite a bit to make it more on par with the other Montessori schools in the area

Quote:

Since I tend to blend in with all of the other distinguished looking women at Disney World, I thought I’d make it easier for you to spot me. Here’s my latest backpack.

Hanging from one side is hand sanitizer

And from the other is a “place holder” which I’m planning to replace with a fun key chain.

I also made a cover for a notepad. My son will be with me for half of the trip, but since I usually go solo it’s nice to have something to do at dinner, so I write down thoughts about the day . . .

I put smaller things in a zippered pencil case, although it occurred to me I should probably make one, but it’s cheaper to buy one than to buy the zipper to make one!

I made tissue covers for the children’s sermon at church a few weeks ago so made myself one, too. I also made a cover for my first aid kit.

Cozy in the front pocket.

I made myself a new wallet this year. Last year I designed it especially for my trip, and other than the pocket that I made for the room safe key (whoops) it was exactly what I wanted. I ended up using the pocket for my pills each day, so I kept it in this year’s wallet.

A tri-fold wallet so it fits in my front pocket.

With a little coin pocket

Inside pockets for license, insurance card, credit card, rewards card, and center pocket for room key.

Aforementioned inside pocket (gotta start using aforementioned more, that’s a good word!)

And a secret pocket. I keep a few large bills in there AND I always keep some ones, too. Shhh, it’s a secret.

Now you’ll be able to spot me if you see me at Disney. Look near any of the snack carts.

WOW!!! I love the backpack! Did you piece all that fabric together? If so I need to drive up to where the "A" is and all the rich cars in the driveway and get lessons on how you did that. I tried doing something like that once and it didn't work out so hot. I really like the added touch of "God Bless You" on your tissue holder. Very impressive work!

Quote:
Trying to sell a house is so stressful. I guess I should be happy (?) that the market here is terrible and that my neighbors all bought more than they could afford so my neighborhood is littered with foreclosures so we would never be able to sell our house anyway. (sigh.) It does help purge though, so that's always good. We had a realtor come to our old house and she took TERRIBLE photos, they were all off-kilter and some were blurry, and none of them showed the rooms, more like just the furniture, so I used my super-wide lens and took my own photos, I truly think it helps to have great photos.

I have been busy busy, my mother in law got here friday for a week visit, though we are supposed to be getting an uber snowstorm so it is unclear if she will be staying longer. She has been occupying my kiddos so I can work on etsy orders and finish up a LOT of unfinished projects. I finished this quilt which I started last summer.

And I got a commission from a friend I have known since High School to make a baby quilt as a gift for a friend of hers. I love the way it is turning out, I got the whole quilt top done, now onto the tedious task of layers/quilting/trimming/binding.

I think most of the appliques came from Lynnie Pinnie, I think they turned out adorable. It's for a little girl who has an under-the-sea theme nursery.

Jen
Both look awesome but I adore the sea creatures as we did our ds's room in a sea theme. We have a hand done quilt hanging in his room.

Quote:

Jen
I saw the photos on the BG site and was really impressed with everything. You did a great job. The kids must be in love with the SW items.

Quote:

Beautiful as always!

Quote:
I just wanted to say hello, I've been lurking for a while! I have decided to bring out the sewing machine left to me by my grandma and give sewing a try. I haven't tried sewing since high school (and managed to break a sewing machine). All of the items everyone has posted have been so beautiful!!! I really want to make some pretty dresses, my youngest girl is my "princess" and loves frilly dresses . I may be posting tons of questions soon as I am a total newbie. Best wishes to everyone
Welcome!!!

Quote:

So happy you remembered how to do your applique. You are going to have fun now!

Quote:
Could anyone advise me on a good machine/s that can sew and embroider? Or is it better to have two different machines? This isn't something I will be getting right away but I do want to research and watch costs (so I can later convince DH that I really need one! He is a notorious cheapskate ). What features are most important in a machine? I'm just trying to understand it all (sewing, embroidery, serger, etc.). Thanks in advance for any information, time to settle in for a winter storm with the kiddos
I have to agree with absolutely everything Diane said. Separate machines with a zig zag and button hole, and 5x7 for embroidery.

DH DS 11 DD 9

VBAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #2843
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

It's a start

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
Cheryl I totally love your backpack and accessories. They are so fun.
I loved working with the polka dot fabric. It's so cheerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post

Love, love, love that backpack!! What great ideas for everything! The fabric is such fun too. Have a great trip! I know I said that before, but it does bear repeating. I'm quoting the aforementioned post of course!
I knew it wasn't just me that loves using aforementioned. Some words have it and some don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
That is totally AMAZING!!! I love it!!! So jealous!
It was fun doing and would be great for random scraps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresajoy View Post
I love this!!! Especially the "I'm back"!!
Thanks. I've been trying to figure out some clever "I'm back" saying to put on the back of a t-shirt, but haven't gotten one, yet. Besides, it would be covered by my backpack anyway, so this was Plan B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
AboveH2O, WOW!!!!!! I love that bag, and the various accessories! Amazing!
Thanks. I like to travel very light, so the string backpack/wallet combo is perfect for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post

I hope you will enjoy staying at the Polynesian. We enjoyed Pop when we stayed there, though we now prefer staying at Conorando Springs.

Great job on the bag and accessories! I hope you will have a fantastic trip!
It's so interesting to read about everyone's favorite resort. I think our favorite will always be the Caribbean Beach because that's where we stayed as a famly, but I know some people hate it. I've been trying to work my way through the resorts (Poly will be number 8), but since I go solo I usually end up at a value because I have a hard time spending the extra money on myself. I'm anxious to try Coronado Springs. I've read great things about the themeing.

Quote:

I love all the stuff you made. The crazy quilt design on the backpack is just awesome!!! I love it! It must have been fun to put together. And I adore the little place holder that says I'm Back! And the hand sanitizer is a must at any theme park. It seems like you thought of everything. Your tissue case, first aide kit and wallet are wonderful. You are going to look terrific! I wish I was going to be there so I could check all the food carts to see what you are snacking on!
I've been trying to figure out how to do the crazy quilt design for a long time. Old Mr. Google finally led me in the right direction. It's one of those many sewing techniques that once you see how to do it it's simple. Of course now I want to try a few variations (similar to patchwork skirt embelishments).

Food carts . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
This is completely adorable! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Regards,
C.
I am sooooo looking forward to warm weather. I've hit some cold (and WET!) February weather in the past, but I'm hoping by going at the end of the month it will be a tad warmer.

Quote:

I'm working my way through the resorts and had planned to stay at Art of Animation this year, but the discount wasn't offered on the Little Mermaid rooms (and I don't need a suite for just me). Otherwise I've stayed at all of the values. I think they're fun because the themeing is so big and bold.

My husband tells about going to Disney World in August as part of his college choir tour. I believe you are correct that HOT!!!! describes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelHathi View Post

I am in awe of all of your accessories! I just stop at the bag.
Thanks. I almost stopped after the bag, but I really wanted a new wallet and journal cover, and then I was just playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
I will be curious to see how you like the split stay. I am usually too lazy to pack up in the middle of a trip to move somewhere else, even though we probably do to some degree as we tend to have a laundry day in the middle of the trip.
I've read so much about split stays on the board that I'll be interested to see if I would ever want to do it again. Apparently some people do it every vacation. As much as I hope to eventually stay at each of the resorts, some of them are so dulgern expensive, that I guess a split stay help$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasingmarcus View Post
This is AMAZING! What talent!
I definitely enjoyed making it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisNorth View Post

I don't like the changes they made to photobucket

Love everything Cheryl!! Hope you have a great trip!
Me neither. It's a pain in the neck to resize photos!!

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post
I love everything but the backpack .
Whooops. I cut too much. I know you didn't wirte 'I love everything but the packpack', but I can't recreate it.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
WOW... I just love your backpack. And I love how you added "God Bless You" on your tissue holder.

I would love to just hang out too... and split stays are great. We do this on almost every trip now.
Thanks. You saw a few scraps of the Famous Black Polka Dot fabric, I trust.

I'm hoping I like the split stay, because it would make it a little easier to stay at some of the non-value resorts. (I just hate to spend money -- except on Disney, of course, well, Disney and fabric, of course.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
Our house update is we are under contract -- both parties that offered upped their offers and the one offering the highest wanted to close asap so it was an easy decision. Just waiting on inspection now and as long as that goes OK we should be set. I pray they don't find anything major -- they shouldn't, but I always still worry.

I've lost track, how long was it on the market? You must be so still-holding-your-breath relieved.

Quote:
WOW!!! I love the backpack! Did you piece all that fabric together? If so I need to drive up to where the "A" is and all the rich cars in the driveway and get lessons on how you did that. I tried doing something like that once and it didn't work out so hot. I really like the added touch of "God Bless You" on your tissue holder. Very impressive work!
Thanks, and yes, I did. I've been trying to figure out how to do it for the longest time and really like the way it works -- and that it's ideal for scraps. The key (I think it's the key) is to start with a pentagon and keep adding strips in order around it. I'll look for the link to what I followed.

My favorite part about hitting the submit button is then I can find another 50 typos that I missed the first 200 times I proofread.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #2844
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea

Hooray! And a bidding war to boot! More prayers that the inspection goes well and you close very soon! I can only imagine what a relief that will be!

Regards,
C.

Facebook: KiddleyDiveySewing

WDW - Annually 1976-1986 with parents and sibs. * WDW - 1996 * WDW - 2002 * WDW - 2003 - SWW (ASMo) * WDW - 2004 - Got Engaged in MK. * DL - 2005 - First Anniversary trip. * DLP - 2006 - DL Paris! (NBC) * WDW - 2007 - Announced pregnancy. (CSR) * DL - 2010 - First trip with kids.. * WDW - 2011 - 3 kids and grandparents. (ASMo) * WDW - 2012 - 11/25-12/3 - Christmas Decorations! (CBR) * WDW - 2014 - 11/29-12/7 - Christmas Trip #2! (POR)
ivey_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #2845
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are staying at the new value resort, Art of Animation. I had a friend who stayed there recently (and she is quite picky) who came home raving about it. We'll see how we like it.

Your new machine sounds awesome!!! It sounds like the machine that I played with at the sewing expo. It was beyond what I wanted to spend when I replaced my machine back in the fall but I really loved the features. It is smart to take the classes to learn all the ways to use the machine. I'm sure my machine has a ton of features that I'm not utilizing. And I don't sew on mine because I like being able to sew while the machine is embroidering for me.
We were actually booked in Art of Animation for our last trip, but we switched to Pop to get the free dining. I would still love to stay there! I think you'll love it.

I feel like I got a steal on this machine since I paid for a used Ellegante 2 and instead got a very slightly used (for demos) Ellegante 3. It has around 300,000 stitches only. Not sure what they cost brand new, but I definitely got a bargain! The next machine up was the one with the camera and all sorts of bells and whistles, but I could buy a car for what they want for that one!

Quote:

I still haven't made it to my sewing space. Hopefully this weekend.... I really need to get some things done! Today I have to fill out registration forms for school next year. Good news is they are doing 6th grade so we don't have switch schools yet Bad news is tuition got raised quite a bit to make it more on par with the other Montessori schools in the area

Congrats on the contract!!! Wow, after all this time, two offers. How cool was that?! Probably makes you wish you had switched realtors sooner. I'm sure the inspection will go well.

Hope you get to your sewing space and hope I do too. DH and I went to Virginia to babysit 3 of our grandchildren and they all turned up sick. DH and I got sick Tuesday and he missed work until today. He went in and his boss actually told him to go back home. So, here we are, both still sick, but getting better. My 90 year old DMIL made chicken soup and jello and brought it to us. What a blessing she is.

Keep us posted on the house. Sorry for the hike in tuition. It seems it's always something, right?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #2846
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Since I seem to have found my sew-jo this week I want to run with it before it hides again!
taking a break from work for a bit and read "sew-jo" - I love it. I need to get my sew-jo on this weekend too, I'm the same way, goes in spurts. Just need the workweek to end already before I lose it...

August/September 2015 ~ POLY
October 2013 ~ CSR/POR

Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #2847
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have only stayed at the value resorts, so I can't really compare to anything, but the first time my husband and I stayed at All-star Movies and really liked it. We only went for 2 days as we were driving through and thought it was adorable staying in the room right outside the 3-story Woody from Toy Story. This past time we stayed in Art of Animation in the Cars suites, which we LOVED. Seriously Love with a capital L. My boys were over-the-moon about seeing Lightning McQueen out the window every morning, they hugged Luigi and Guido before bed every night. We ate a couple of meals in the food court there and it was outstanding, not al all cafeteria-food-like. The Nemo pool is incredible, even though it was crazy cold the day we went, but because we were nuts we had the whole giant pool to ourselves. I would absolutely stay there again. The little Mermaid rooms seemed SO FAR away from the rest of everything though. We did walk the whole resort one day and checked out the other themes, everyone agreed Cars was the best theme-wise. Sure it would be nice to stay at a monorail resort, but for the likes of our family, it think we are more value resort folk. It felt super indulgent to us to have a little kitchenette and two bathrooms!

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #2848
cogero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! Now the problem is...I can't get to the fabric store today! :rofl: I keep a fairly small stash of fabric because I like to buy per project and I have NO Disney themed fabric. I'm going to have to see if I can be creative with what I have. Since I seem to have found my sew-jo this week I want to run with it before it hides again!

I've actually been sewing for many years and go through phases--sometimes I sew like crazy, sometimes (like the last year or so) I barely sew at all.

As someone with a 4x4 field, I agree with the advice to get a 5x7. The embroideries I can make with a 4 inch field are perfect for a shirt for my two year old but a little small for a T shirt for my 6 year old. You are really limited with a 4 inch field, which is mostly why I've never played with it much--there is just so little I can really do. I also can't do monogramming very easily for the same reason--I'd have to re-hoop a few times to get anything more than a single initial monogram.

For me it's been better to have a combo machine because I mostly just sew and my machine does a VERY nice job sewing. I upgraded from a cheaper machine and can really tell the difference, so for a beginner I'd really recommend a nice sewing machine rather than getting a cheaper sewing machine in order to afford a decent embroidery machine. Saves SO much frustration.

I do also have a serger which is really nice to have but definitely not necessary so I wouldn't worry about it right now if I were you.
One thing that is done to make 4 x 4s a bit bigger is to stitch them out on felt and then attach to a t-shirt or outfit. You just need to make sure to cut it super neatly.

Quote:

I have to agree with absolutely everything Diane said. Separate machines with a zig zag and button hole, and 5x7 for embroidery.
I am so happy that you are under contract sending prayers your way. that all goes smoothly.

I forgot to grab a quote about the person not having Disney fabric. I will say I very rarely use Disney fabric for anything. I go with color schemes and tend to be a fabri snob.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #2849
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Yikes... 50 days until our trip and I have only 1 day done. And it takes me so long to get anything done.

Quote:
That is wonderful news

Quote:

Thanks. You saw a few scraps of the Famous Black Polka Dot fabric, I trust.
Yes I did

Quote:

I'm hoping I like the split stay, because it would make it a little easier to stay at some of the non-value resorts. (I just hate to spend money -- except on Disney, of course, well, Disney and fabric, of course.)
Disney & Fabric... yes my favorite things to splurge on. I really like it when the Fabric is Disney themed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
One thing that is done to make 4 x 4s a bit bigger is to stitch them out on felt and then attach to a t-shirt or outfit. You just need to make sure to cut it super neatly.
YES... it needs to be cut very nicely, hence why I never put anything on felt. It looks like my 5 yr old cut it
Old 02-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #2850
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Treasure Maps!

I just wanted to share this quick project I whipped up today, in case any of you might have pirate-crazy kids (Or these might be fun pixie dust for big gives...)

These took about 10 minutes to make both maps, and I think my kids are going to go nuts for them. I am going to hold off giving them to the boys until our road trip to Florida next month. (Sadly we are not going to visit Disney, just grandpa, but there is evidently a pirate-themed day cruise near his house in Ft. Meyers so we plan to do that.)

Essentially I cut two rough rectangles from each of two fabrics, one is the pirate map fabric, the other is a parchment-looking scrap I had in from my Fat Quarter Shop grab bag. I sewed them right-sides together, left a hole, turned the right way and top stitched. I thought about adding a ribbon to tie it up like a crayon roll would have but my kids are 3 and can't tie. I might add a grommet or a loop and snap so they can attach it to their bags or something.

Anyway, fun easy project which I think my kids are going to love.
Jen

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: