Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #16
CynBeth
DIS Veteran

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleiada View Post
I just booked our second trip for 2013 for December 8th-15th. We've never been this time of year either and I'm excited to see it all decorated for the holidays. We are bringing my cousin, his children and my aunt and uncle, none have ever been to Disney. I can't wait!
We will be there the 7th- 15th. Where are you staying?
CynBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynBeth

We will be there the 7th- 15th. Where are you staying?
Beach Club Villas. How about you?

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #18
Stinky_Pete
DIS Veteran

December is my favorite time to visit WDW. Relatively low crowds and usually cool and low humidity. I was there for a week this past December. Here is what I found:

The MK closed at 7 p.m. on party nights.
There is a special parade and fireworks during MVMCP. It is not the same parade as the afternoon parade. I believe it is the Christmas parade that they show on T.V.
Wishes doesn't show on Christmas party evenings.
Same with the electrical parade - didn't run in the evenings when they had the party.

As far as the weather, you really can't tell. I've been when it was in the 80's all week and other times the high might be in the 50's. This past December I think half the week was in the 80's then it cooled down to the 60's (which I prefer). The pools are all heated though, so you can swim even if the air temp isn't really hot.

It's really such a special time to go - there are decorations everywhere and everything is so pretty. Huge Christmas trees and special entertainment, especially at Epcot. I am planning on being there again this coming December.
Stinky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #19
serene56
DIS Veteran

we are'going dec'8 thru 15 staying at pop. going to'a'party on a tuesdsy celbrating gd birthday.

this is a once in a life'time trip for me. i always wanted to'see'disney in all its'holiday splendor.
epcot will feature story tellers'from esch country.

last years weather was amazing, 2010 was absolutly freezing. cousin was there and not prepeared. spent much of the entertsinment money os sweatshirts and gloves, etc.

pols areheated.-kids'can swim in any weather
Old 02-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #20
krd315
Mouseketeer

When do the decorations and events like MVMCP and Osborne lights start? We were thinking about Thanksgiving week next year but don't want to miss the Holiday season.

Next up: Sept 2014 -POR
Past trips: Aug 2013, Sept 2012, Jan 2012, Aug 2000
krd315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #21
sammielynn
DIS Veteran

Christmas at Disney is beyond words. I love everything about it. If you can go early December it should be perfect. MVMCP is an extra expense but so very worth the price.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
LoveToTravel2001
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

We've gone a number of years during the beginning of December. It's fabulous!
Osbourne Lights - a must!
Also try to take in some of the resort decorations. We loved GF and the giant gingerbread house that they sold treats out of.
We love the party and did it very year we were there.
Be aware that depending on the exact dates, the beginning of December is generally when Pop Warner football and cheer are there. We've never had an issue with it but they generally overtake the All Stars, we stay CBR.
Crowds are totally manageable.
Weather - toss a coin. We're from Boston so not much fazes us. One year it was shorts everyday. The next year it was jeans, a sweatshirt, and gloves one day and shorts the next. We would be the ones at the bus stop at 7am in shorts and hoodie in 40 degree weather knowing it would be 65 by lunch. We'd get some looks and once you mention you're from New England people understand. It's when I pack the heaviest because I need to account for all possibilities. We just came back from Universal three weeks ago and it was jeans and sweatshirts two days, then hot. I leave for Disney in two weeks and will pack a little bit of everything. You just never know.
Highly recommend the early December.
WDW - CBR 5/14 The Summit
LoveToTravel2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #23
mamabug70
Amy L

Quote:
Originally Posted by krd315
When do the decorations and events like MVMCP and Osborne lights start? We were thinking about Thanksgiving week next year but don't want to miss the Holiday season.
We usually go the first and second weeks of November and they have most of the lights and decorations up. We also attend the MVMCP, and see The Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights. I think one year we went to MVMCP as early as Nov 9. They will definitely be up by Thanksgiving.

1998 POFQ
1998 Boardwalk
1999-2007 yearly off property
2006 POP
2008 AKL-Jambo
2009 off property
2010 POR
2011 AKL-Kidani
2012 POFQ
2012 AOA Lion King Suite
mamabug70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #24
mamabug70
Amy L

I have been to WDW in almost every month of the year. Early December is one of my favorite times to go. Crowds are light and decorations are beautiful. Makes Disney even more magical. We took my MIL for her first ever trip at 65 years old during Christmas season and she absolutely loved it! Weather definitely varies though. I remember one year watching the candlelight processional with heavy coats, hats, and gloves and still being cold. But, if you have one cold day, you can pretty much count on a warm day too! Have a great trip!

1998 POFQ
1998 Boardwalk
1999-2007 yearly off property
2006 POP
2008 AKL-Jambo
2009 off property
2010 POR
2011 AKL-Kidani
2012 POFQ
2012 AOA Lion King Suite
mamabug70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #25
Hulagirlie2003
Earning My Ears

December in WDW

Hello there! I lived in Orlando and worked for WDW for a few years. From experience, I can tell you that the weather can most definitely vary from Dec-Feb. However, the beginning of December (1st week) should bring you relatively warm weather. Probably around 70-80 Degrees F. during the day and cooler during the evening. I'm not a meteorologist but this is what I remember from when I lived down there. However, on a few occasions towards the end of December (and a quite a few times during Jan and Feb) I was wearing a winter coat.

*During the beginning of December you will only be able to see the special Christmas parade and fireworks at M.K. if you pay for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. I believe during the last few days leading up to up to Christmas you can see the parade and fireworks without admission to MVMCP.

I hope this helps!
Hulagirlie2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #26
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky_Pete View Post
There is a special parade and fireworks during MVMCP. It is not the same parade as the afternoon parade. I believe it is the Christmas parade that they show on T.V.
Totally different parade and fireworks for the party. It is NOT the Christmas Day TV parade although some parts of the party parade do make up the TV parade.

For the "week" before Christmas day, the party parade (party's are over then) will become the "day parade", usually double day parade, in place of Celebrate A Dream Come True.

To the Original Poster, try to do MK about the Wednesday after the Christmas Day parade taping (check the schedules for the actual dates) as the tree in Town Square does not go up until after that parade taping and depending on weather may not get up until Wednesday.
11290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #27
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

We've been in January the last couple of years and have decided to give early December a try this time around. Really psyched about seeing WDW all decked out for Xmas.

We've really liked going in January because the crowds are light and the weather, while a bit unpredictable, is generally wonderful when compared to the sweltering heat of the summer. I gather that the weather in early December is not quite as prone to be chilly, the crowds are even lighter PLUS you've got the Xmas decor. Can. Not. Wait.

Re weather, if it's anything like January, it's really just a matter of being prepared. Most days it's warm enough to wear shorts and a t-shirt or at least jeans and a t-shirt during the day, and I'll generally put on jeans and bring a windbreaker in the evenings in case it gets chilly. With that said, I've had both days that were quite warm and quite cool in the same trip, so it pays to make sure you have something on either end of the spectrum. If you're from Canada, though, I doubt it will get so cold that you couldn't handle it with an extra layer or two.

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015) - DLR (July 2014)
DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #28
Stinky_Pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
Totally different parade and fireworks for the party. It is NOT the Christmas Day TV parade although some parts of the party parade do make up the TV parade.
Thank you! I wasn't sure. The only time I did the party we called it "Mickey's Very Soggy Christmas Party" as it rained steadily the entire evening and both the parade and fireworks were cancelled, so I've never seen either.
Stinky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #29
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by krd315 View Post
almost everything will be up by thanksgiving.
The only thing is the story tellers do not come out until after thanksiving
Old 02-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
middlesista
Mouseketeer

One year we did spend Christmas at Disney. A memory our children will never forget! One surprise was watching them film the Christmas Parade for TV. They would redo sections of the parade over and over again - I was amazed at how everyone in the parade kept their enthusiasm levels UP. It is a great time of year at WDW - you will no doubt be making some great family memories
middlesista is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: