Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #31
martinolichfamily
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Great report so far..can't wait to read more!

My DH has learned by now to wait to eat until after picture has been taken....sometimes I'll forget and he'll ask if I'm going to take a picture or not! Lol
March 2007: 1st family vacation (off site) ~ July 2009: Fort Wilderness Cabin ~ July 2010: POP Century w/DxDP ~ April 2011:POP Century w/DP (Our 10 yr Anniversary Trip) ~ July 2012:1st Disneyland Trip(Desert Palms) ~ January 2013: offsite (DH & I) ~ July 2013: SS & AKL:Kidani (Brayden's 1st WDW Trip! & 1st DVC Trip!)~ November 2013: SS Treehouse & BC ~March 2014: Bonnet Creek (offsite) ~ June 2014: OKW
martinolichfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #32
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
Great reviews!! Can't wait for more!!
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #33
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

Ohana for dinner!

Since DH and I hadn't eaten since the morning, we were very hungry by the time dinner came along. We did this on purpose, since we were going to Ohana, one of our absolute favorite places. Now, I know this place gets mixed reviews, but out of everywhere in Disney, this one has been very consistent for us. It is always excellent every time we are there!

We got there a little early because my kids just love to roast marshmallows on the beach at the Polynesian Resort. It is so pretty there on the beach with the castle in the background, it really makes for a beautiful camp fire.

So, we finished up our marshmallows and rode the elevator up to the 2nd floor of the Polynesian where Ohana is located. On this day, it happened to be a little extra crowded when we arrived... and here is the reason:

Yes, the Super Bowl. Oops. I scheduled our dinner right in the middle of it! Poor DH! He was not upset, but he did want to keep up with the game. We watched a little of it while waiting to be called to our table. It took a while but it was well worth the wait! Our buzzer soon went off and they walked us to our table with a little drive by stop for some pineapple-coconut bread! She handed it to DS to carry to our table.

We then walked by the grill and then sat down at our table for some bread.

It was wonderful! I only ate a tiny bit because I wanted to save plenty of room for the other courses, which I was really looking forward to. Next up was the salad. I heard before our trip that the salad was a bit different now, namely the honey lime dressing being replaced with the passion fruit vinaigrette dressing and mango and papaya topping the salad. This was true, the dressing was different and there was fruit on top of the salad, as you can see.

I have to say, although I really do prefer the honey lime dressing, the passion fruit vinaigrette was not bad, just very sweet. My kids were thrilled that there was fruit on top, and they both ate a pretty big portion of the salad.

Next up was the potstickers and chicken wings. These were brought out at the same time as the new peanut sauce, which was also a change on the menu.

The sauce was very good, but I was slightly disappointed that this was the only sauce. I heard that you could not get the other sauces, even if you requested them, but I figured it was worth a try, so I asked for a side of the sweet & sour sauce. To my surprise, he said he would bring out some of the potsticker topping because it was the same thing, and he did!

All of us at the table loved both the wings and the potstickers, we ate the entire dish. They are always one of our favorites, especially my husband. My favorite, however, are the noodles, and they came out next! I just love these things. They seemed even better tonight for some reason. We finished them off as well, but the broccoli that came with them was a different story. This time it was not just broccoli, but a mix of stir fry style vegetables. I liked the broccoli by itself much better, but this is because I am not crazy about bell peppers, their flavor seems to permeate everything, and that was true of these vegetables. My family, however, liked them better and ate a pretty good amount of them.

Then the meat started coming out. It is cooked on the open fire and then comes out on big skewers and they put a few pieces of each on your plate (I usually specify just one of each, otherwise it is way too much food for me!). So, first was the pork.

It was really great, very juicy and flavorful. Then came the steak. Sorry that the picture is of the cut steak, the one of the non-cut steak didn't turn out so well so I had to retake it.

Again, the same thing. It was cooked perfectly, tender, and I really enjoyed it. The chicken came out next, and I have to say, this is the best chicken I have had at Ohana so far! It was very moist, full of flavor and just really great over all. I didn't get a picture of it right away, but still, here is a picture.

Finally, the shrimp came out. The shrimp are what my daughter loves most, and she dug right into these. We all did, but she seemed to enjoy them even more than the rest of us! This picture does not do them justice, they were much better than they look! They were great, very tender, tasty and the perfect ending to this part of the meal!

Of course, we were all looking forward to the final course, the dessert! Now, I am not big on dessert, nor do I normally love bread pudding, but the bread pudding here at Ohana is just in another league. It is topped with ice cream and then a warm caramel sauce, it is just too good to put into words. We ate as much as we could possibly fit in our stomach, but we still didn't finish it. The kids wanted cupcakes, and they brought two of those with some ice cream as well.

Something amazing happens after you pour that sauce on, I can't explain it, but just have a look for yourself.

Right about the time we were done, the lights turned down and music started playing through the speakers, it was Wishes! We had an amazing view of the fireworks over Cinderella's Castle at the Magic Kingdom and it just made the end of our meal so special. It was perfect!

Overall, every single one of us enjoyed this meal and we will definitely return and have it again. We have and we still would pay out of pocket for this meal without question.

Last edited by ilovepete; 03-01-2013 at 08:58 PM.
ilovepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #34
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

We haven't eaten at Ohana's in, I can't tell you how many years. Too much of a wai, twice cold food, turned us off of it. Your review and pictures however, may sway me to have another go at it!.

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #35
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I am seriously craving Bread Pudding.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #36
Laracroft72
All things Disney Lover

I am so excited to try OHana's in a few weeks! I have drooled over the noodles and bread pudding for years!!
Laracroft72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #37
siennasmama07
Earning My Ears

Joining in, looking forward to reading more.

Disneyland 90' 92' 06' DW 00' OKW 08' SSR 10' AKL 12', SSR
12'

siennasmama07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #38
hotcarib
DIS Veteran

Yum!
Can't wait for the new salad! Great review!

hotcarib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #39
wdwpirates
Don't lose ya soul cuz it's all ya got. - DH

Super 'Ohana review! So glad to hear that the changes weren't enough to sway you from going! There's no way a change of salad dressing and removal of 2 dipping sauces would keep me outta there! Everything looked delish!!

wdwpirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #40
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

Epcot! Starting our day at Boulangerie Patisserie

So, today was Epcot day! We love Epcot and were really excited to be going there for a full day. We had a park open to close day planned so we knew it would be a long day. Like I mentioned earlier, we were not fond of the CS breakfast we had and we didn't even want to attempt them anymore. We brought things for the kids to eat in the room anyway because they tend to need to eat right when they get up. This is what they had most mornings, half of a bagel with apple slices. They don't usually get bagels at home (we make them a hot breakfast every morning) so they were actually pretty excited about this.

Some days they had yogurt and I also had some other fruits and snacks like cheese sticks, but most often it was the above for them. DH and I actually don't usually eat first thing in the morning so we were comfortable with a snack at the parks or an early lunch around 11. This works great for a few reasons, because one, we save our CS meals for lunches and reduce our out of pocket costs. But two, at 11, most of the restaurants are not very busy yet, so we get to eat without all the lines and noisy atmosphere of a lot of CS places. So we did most of Future World and headed over to the World Showcase for our lunch. I wanted to try a few of the different counter service places and split them and DH mostly wanted to sample all the snacks! LOL It worked out pretty well and we tried a lot of things. Up first was CS from Boulangerie Patisserie in France. I wasn't aware that the location was changed, so when we walked up to the door and saw this, I was shocked!

We followed the sign and saw where they moved everything. I was really impressed! This was so much better than before! So much more room and easy to order with a beautiful display of what they offered. I loved that there was more seating than before as well. They had big screens above you where you could see the prices and names of everything that was offered. I took quite a few pictures of everything because like I said, I didn't know about this... so I didn't know if I was just really behind or this was super new! Either way, here they are from when we walked in:

We chose the Ham & Cheese Croissant Sandwich with a coke and a Napoleon for dessert. I know that is a pretty boring choice, but it just looked so good, and I was right, it was! They toasted the sandwich croissant was so flaky and good that I just couldn't get enough of it. I was actually pretty excited when my DD5 said she didn't want any of it, and I ate about half of it with the other half shared with DS7. We all split the Napoleon and although it was different than I previously remember it being, it was delicious! DH choose a few of the desserts for a snack. He selected the chocolate mousse and a chocolate eclair.

He loves eclairs, and this one was no different. I was really glad I took picture of it at the counter while we were paying because by the time I took everything off the tray, this was half eaten by him! He always eats so quick, I have no idea how he does it. So, none of us got to taste that one, but we did have a couple of bites of the mousse, and it was really good as well. This was a great experience for us all the way around.

Last edited by ilovepete; 03-01-2013 at 09:13 PM.
ilovepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #41
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

OOOH, everything looks AMAZING!!! I can't wait to go see this. We've actually got lunch planned there one day... it's going to be hard to choose! The ham and cheese croissant and quiche look heavenly!

I'm having so much fun reading your reviews!! they're awesome!!

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #42
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinolichfamily View Post
I'm in! Great report so far..can't wait to read more!

My DH has learned by now to wait to eat until after picture has been taken....sometimes I'll forget and he'll ask if I'm going to take a picture or not! Lol
LOL mine learned pretty quickly by the time this trip was over. The kids didn't really, though, but they dealt with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut1149 View Post
Hi
Great reviews!! Can't wait for more!!
Thank you! Many more on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEASLYBOO View Post
We haven't eaten at Ohana's in, I can't tell you how many years. Too much of a wai, twice cold food, turned us off of it. Your review and pictures however, may sway me to have another go at it!.
We really love it! It is worth it for us. One of our favorites for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
I am seriously craving Bread Pudding.
You and me both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laracroft72 View Post
I am so excited to try OHana's in a few weeks! I have drooled over the noodles and bread pudding for years!!
Oh so glad you are getting to go! I hope you enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siennasmama07 View Post
Joining in, looking forward to reading more.
Glad you are here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarib View Post
Yum!
Can't wait for the new salad! Great review!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwpirates View Post
Super 'Ohana review! So glad to hear that the changes weren't enough to sway you from going! There's no way a change of salad dressing and removal of 2 dipping sauces would keep me outta there! Everything looked delish!!
Yes the changes didn't bother me too much. I am like you, they would have to do a lot more than that to keep me away from Ohana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
OOOH, everything looks AMAZING!!! I can't wait to go see this. We've actually got lunch planned there one day... it's going to be hard to choose! The ham and cheese croissant and quiche look heavenly!

I'm having so much fun reading your reviews!! they're awesome!!
Thank you! The new set up was so much better than what they had before! No crazy lines, better viewing of what was offered, and much more seating! The quiche almost got me as well, but I really wanted a croissant!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #43
siennasmama07
Earning My Ears

Oh my gosh, what a mouth watering read! Everything, looks amazing.. I'll have to visit this gem in July. Awesome review.

Disneyland 90' 92' 06' DW 00' OKW 08' SSR 10' AKL 12', SSR
12'

siennasmama07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #44
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepete View Post
[B]Yes, it is true! I made my family a little crazy trying to get all of these pictures of our food! They heard a few, "WAIT! I didn't get a picture yet!" when going for that first bite of their meal.

I do that EVERY trip too! Restaurant , Menu and Food pictures.
It drive them crazy as well. People from the surrounding tables usually look at me like I'm nuts taking pictures of my food .
Family Adventures Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Cocoa Beach/Daytona/ Texas/ St Thomas USVI/ Cuba/ Belize/ Jamaica/ Bahamas/ St Maarten/ Cozumel/ Costa Maya/Puerto Vallarta/ Honduras /Dominican Republic / Cayman Islands & Many...MANY Disney Land trips & Most recently Sailed the Disney Magic[/FONT][/SIZE]
vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #45
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
Great reviews and pics!! Are the croissants premade or do they make it fresh for you? I would like to try one with just the cheese since I don't eat any meat. They look delicious!! Thanks for sharing!!
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: