DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
moreisgood
Falling in love

Changing resort reservations - point penalty?

I'm new to DVC (considering buying resale.) I see the advice to make a reservation at your home resort at 11 months. Then, when the entire collection opens up, try to change your resort to another resort. What happens if the new resort uses less points than the first reservation at your home resort?
Do you then have to use those points before the end of the use year or forfeit them? If you have to forfeit them, would it be a good idea to see if they could be rented out (via the known internet sites), even at a discount?

My husband's opinion of buying DVC is this:
moreisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreisgood View Post
I'm new to DVC (considering buying resale.) I see the advice to make a reservation at your home resort at 11 months. Then, when the entire collection opens up, try to change your resort to another resort. What happens if the new resort uses less points than the first reservation at your home resort?
Do you then have to use those points before the end of the use year or forfeit them? If you have to forfeit them, would it be a good idea to see if they could be rented out (via the known internet sites), even at a discount?

My husband's opinion of buying DVC is this:
If you are cancelling before your banking deadline- you can bank them. If its after your banking deadline, you need to use them.

But, and here is an important newbie catch - a lot of those "use less points rooms" are really hard to get by non owners - if you are looking at value rooms at VAKL or standard view at BLT or BWV, it may not be a problem you have.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

In addition to what Crisi mentioned, if you use any borrowed points to make your reservation, they cannot be put back if the new reservation uses fewer points. Banking and borrowing are final transactions. You could have member services use any banked and borrowed points first which would free up the current points which could then be banked, provided you are not past your banking deadline.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
DizBub
Totally Addicted

I would only go ahead and make that switch if I was within my banking deadline. I'd rather keep the original reservation than lose any points it might save.

I made a reservation at 11 months and am hoping to switch to another resort at 7 months. If I get it, it will save 51 points that will be put back into my account so they can be banked. The vacation is booked for Sept and my banking deadline is Sept 30. Could even waitlist it. If the vacation was in Oct or Nov this wouldn't work.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Same thing if you go on the waitlist. There are actually two waitlists - one that goes until 31 days out, the other until seven days out. If you don't get your waitlist until seven days out and the new reservation takes less, you can't even bank those anymore, even if you are within your banking timeframe.

At 30 days out, any points from a cancelled or revised reservation that are not used for the reservation become holding points. And they cannot be used to make a reservation more than 60 days out. Plus they expire at the end of the use year.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Same thing if you go on the waitlist. There are actually two waitlists - one that goes until 31 days out, the other until seven days out. If you don't get your waitlist until seven days out and the new reservation takes less, you can't even bank those anymore, even if you are within your banking timeframe.
Thanks for pointing that out. I would definately do the 31 day waitlist. If it doesn't come through in 6 months minus 1 day I figure it isn't meant to be.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
moreisgood
Falling in love

Thank you everyone. This is always very helpful. So, if I'm really hoping to switch, reserving something at less points than I hope to spend for my preferred vacation, would be prudent.

I've never heard about 31 and 7 day wait lists. How do they each work?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Thank you everyone. This is always very helpful. So, if I'm really hoping to switch, reserving something at less points than I hope to spend for my preferred vacation, would be prudent.

I've never heard about 31 and 7 day wait lists. How do they each work?
Basically when you switch resorts you are cancelling your current reservation and rebooking another one and all cancellation policies apply.

This is from my reservation sheet.

For Disney Vacation Club Member Vaction Point Reservations at a disney Vacation Club Resort

31+ days before Check-In Date:
All Vacation Points used to make the reservation, including borrowed Vacation Points, will be returned to your account in the Use Year in which the reservation falls.

30 days to 1 day before Check-In Date:
All Vacation Points used to make the reservation will be placed in the Holding Account in the Use Year in which the reservation falls.

On the Check-In Date:
all of the Vacation Points used to make the resevation will be forfeited.

When you waitlist they will offer you 2 ways to do it. The 31 day waitlist means it will expire automatically if it doesn't come through, preserving your points.
You can waitlist up to 7 days prior to check-in but like it says, any saved points will go into Holding. That means you can't use those points to book anything beyond 60 days. If you can't travel again that soon or there is no availability they will expire at the end of your Use Year.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
moreisgood
Falling in love

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
Basically when you switch resorts you are cancelling your current reservation and rebooking another one and all cancellation policies apply.

This is from my reservation sheet.

For Disney Vacation Club Member Vaction Point Reservations at a disney Vacation Club Resort

31+ days before Check-In Date:
All Vacation Points used to make the reservation, including borrowed Vacation Points, will be returned to your account in the Use Year in which the reservation falls.

30 days to 1 day before Check-In Date:
All Vacation Points used to make the reservation will be placed in the Holding Account in the Use Year in which the reservation falls.

On the Check-In Date:
all of the Vacation Points used to make the resevation will be forfeited.

When you waitlist they will offer you 2 ways to do it. The 31 day waitlist means it will expire automatically if it doesn't come through, preserving your points.
You can waitlist up to 7 days prior to check-in but like it says, any saved points will go into Holding. That means you can't use those points to book anything beyond 60 days. If you can't travel again that soon or there is no availability they will expire at the end of your Use Year.
DizBub, I think I need a little clarification on the term "you can't use those points to book anything beyond 60 days." I've seen it before, but I'm not exactly sure of what it means.
A. You must use the points in the 60 days, starting from the cancellation date, or lose them, immediately at the 60 day mark. And I'm assuming your stay would need to be completed by day 60.
B. You can use them till the end of your use year, but you can't book a vacation that starts sooner than 60 days from the booking date. Ex. In February, you can't book at July vacation.

Which is correct? Or neither?

Thank you!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:27 AM   #10
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
DizBub, I think I need a little clarification on the term "you can't use those points to book anything beyond 60 days." I've seen it before, but I'm not exactly sure of what it means.
A. You must use the points in the 60 days, starting from the cancellation date, or lose them, immediately at the 60 day mark. And I'm assuming your stay would need to be completed by day 60.
B. You can use them till the end of your use year, but you can't book a vacation that starts sooner than 60 days from the booking date. Ex. In February, you can't book at July vacation.

Thank you!
Holding account and the 60 day thing is the one issue that confuses me the most. It had to be explained to me very slowly last year.

I had to cancel a trip last Oct and had a large number of points go into Holding. Essentially you can't use these points to book anything beyond 60 days of your arrival. For instance, I couldn't use them for a January trip unless I waited until November to book it. I have a Feb UY and they would have expired Jan 31. Luckily, I was able to use them later in October.

I hope I explained it so you can understand it because I'm still not so sure myself.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #11
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Thank you!
B. is exactly correct.

Holding points expire at the end of the use year. They cannot be used to reserve a vacation that has a check-in day more than 60 days away from the day you call to reserve.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
moreisgood
Falling in love

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
B. is exactly correct.

Holding points expire at the end of the use year. They cannot be used to reserve a vacation that has a check-in day more than 60 days away from the day you call to reserve.
Thanks to both of you! It's all about understanding the rules!

Any other sneaky ones I may not be thinking about?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
lodge
DIS Veteran

Here's one about the entry doors (yes, a Florida LAW): http://www.dumblaws.com/law/1281

(it doesn't apply to DVC, but interesting and makes sense... be on the look-out for non-compliance)
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Thanks to both of you! It's all about understanding the rules!

Any other sneaky ones I may not be thinking about?
New members often are not aware of the 4 month rule. It only applies if you are booking something other than a DVC resort or an exchange via RCI or the LBVTC.

The 4 month rule says that if you want to stay at one of those non-DVC/non-RCI/non-LBVTC options during the last 4 months of your use year, you must reserve the stay during the first 8 months of your use year.

So for example, if you have a February use year and want to stay at the Poly in December, 2013, you have to make the reservation on or before September 30, 2013. (Of course all reservations are subject to availability).

Again, it only matters if you are booking one of the options mentioned. None of them are particularly good uses of DVC points, though.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post
Here's one about the entry doors (yes, a Florida LAW): http://www.dumblaws.com/law/1281

(it doesn't apply to DVC, but interesting and makes sense... be on the look-out for non-compliance)
That's basically the Life Safety Code (NFPA 101). Doors that open inward to a large gathering space impede egress in an emergency. Doors to an individual lodging space (i.e., villa, hotel room) open inwards to not impede egress through the exit corridor. You are running down the hallway to get away from the fire and someone opens their hotel/villa door and it hits you in the face, blocks others from exiting. That won't happen because the door opens into the lodging space instead of outwards from the lodging space.

One of the few areas where doors open out into the egress corridor is in a mental health unit, so the patients cannot barricade the door so staff cannot get into the room in an emergency.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: