Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #31
fireplug46
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoscrap View Post
I find it very interesting that the company that rents the Dream is specifically advertising it (as of right now) as "Fits on All Buses", "Fits on Disney Transportation" and "is specifically for . . . visitors staying in hotels on-property at Walt Disney World or Universal Studios Florida who plan to use resort-provided bus, boat or monorail transportation . . . " and features a video on how to load it onto a Disney bus (a lift bus no less!)

This is only going to make it harder for the Disney bus drivers as people argue that they were specifically told it fits on the buses. I know that I would be frustrated if I rented it and then was being denied entry on the buses. Ultimately my anger would be directed at the rental company as I demanded a refund, but of course at the time of trying to board the bus I will admit that I would probably get cranky with the driver telling me no. And if the policy is not being consistently applied that will make things even worse for the drivers that are doing what they are supposed to.
The Dream scooters WILL fit on all Disney buses just tell the driver to call operations on the radio and they will set them straight. I loaded one on two lift buses during my last stay in may/june
fireplug46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #32
mgaringer
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2

size

The 48 inches long by 30 inches wide should not be difficult to stay within.
I am a large person that weights 385 lbs so I need a heavy duty scooter. I rent a PRIDE MAXAMA from Buena Vista Scooter Rentals. According to the PRIDE brochure even this large heavy duty scooter is only 46.5 inches long by 28 inches wide. In 2009 I never had anyone tell me that I couldn't ride a bus or go anywhere.
Mike
mgaringer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #33
KPeveler
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 6 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 4,024
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgaringer View Post
The 48 inches long by 30 inches wide should not be difficult to stay within.
I am a large person that weights 385 lbs so I need a heavy duty scooter. I rent a PRIDE MAXAMA from Buena Vista Scooter Rentals. According to the PRIDE brochure even this large heavy duty scooter is only 46.5 inches long by 28 inches wide. In 2009 I never had anyone tell me that I couldn't ride a bus or go anywhere.
Mike
Correct - As of this time, only the Dream Scooter does not fit on the bus. Pretty much all commercially available scooters, including all Pride models, fit at this time.
__________________
~Katy~

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #34
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,823
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireplug46 View Post
The Dream scooters WILL fit on all Disney buses just tell the driver to call operations on the radio and they will set them straight. I loaded one on two lift buses during my last stay in may/june
The bolded information is not correct.

A spokesperson for the company that rents the Dream wrote a PM to me about the buses. I added the information into the disABILITIES FAQs thread in the bus information.
He said that they have discussed with the WDW Transportation Department and has been told that the Dream scooter can not be used on the buses with lifts. The spokesperson from the rental company said the Dream will be allowed on the buses with ramps as long as it fits into box with the front tire turned.


His PM said that people renting the Dream Scooter are told not to get on to a bus with a lift, but to ask the driver to call for a bus with a ramp. (Since you did not know this, it appears they did not inform you).

I do not have confirmation of this from WDW Transportation.

There are 3 reason for not allowing the Dream Scooter to use the lifts:

1) It is too heavy to safely use the lifts. They were designed for a device that weighs no more than 600 pounds - including the weight of the user.

2) It is too large for the lifts - The lifts were designed for devices that are no larger than 30 by 48. This is the total length, not the length with one wheel turned in; the lifts were not designed for a device that is longer.

3) I have been told by WDW bus drivers that loading the Dream scooters was putting excessive wear on and damaging the lifts.
The video that was posted on the Dream Scooter site showing boarding a lift bus advised backing onto the lift until the scooter hit the back of the lift and then stopping and turning the front tire to fit on the platform.
As far as I know, the company renting the Dream Scooters has pulled this video off of their website since they were told the scooter should not be used on buses with lifts.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #35
SenecaWolf
I let my mind wander and it didn't come back!
 
SenecaWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Near Buffalo, NY
Posts: 919

I know its been awhile since this topic has been visited but I just got my reservation confirmation from Scooter Vacations and they point out this:

Quote:
To confirm, The Dream is for use only on-property at Walt Disney World or Universal Studios or your resort as it not a transportable model. The Dream has met the FDA standards and has its 510(k) rating as an approved electronic convenience vehicle (ECV) falling under the strict ADA laws and guidelines. However, when using on property bus transportation there are a few things you should be aware of to ensure you will be most satisfied.

At Walt Disney World there are two types of buses, newer mid-ramp versions and older rear-lift models. Disney Transportation has asked that Dream guests use the mid-ramp bus. Disney advises you contact the bus transport manager at your hotel as they will be pleased to assist you. If you are unable to reach the hotel transportation manager or need further assistance you may contact the Disney Transportation Operations Center at 1 (407) 824-7092.
Hopefully this helps
__________________
Team August 2013 Dis Thread!! Team August 2013 Facebook Group!
Myself(Sarah) James DS15(Ian) DD17(Kyler)

CBR - 4/18/12-4/24/12 - First Family Trip/ DD's Sweet 16POP - 8/25/12-8/30/12 - Mother/Son TripCBR - 8/24/13-9/1/13 - 2nd Family Trip
SenecaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #36
dansamy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenecaWolf View Post
I know its been awhile since this topic has been visited but I just got my reservation confirmation from Scooter Vacations and they point out this:



Hopefully this helps
Is this still the case with the Dream scooter? It appears to be the most stable looking, comfortable scooter model and I was looking at renting one for our trip which starts 02/24.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #37
KPeveler
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 6 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 4,024
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Is this still the case with the Dream scooter? It appears to be the most stable looking, comfortable scooter model and I was looking at renting one for our trip which starts 02/24.
As far as I know, yes, it does not fit on Disney buses. It is larger than is defined as a "mobility device" by the ADA, and therefore is larger than the tie-down spots on Disney buses. It cannot be tied down safely, even without a passenger, and would end up blocking part of the aisle or seats, thereby created a potential safety hazard to other guests.

It is also larger than almost any place created for an ECV or wheelchair. You may find some queues rather tight, as it is longer than a "standard mobility device" (which is what the queues were built for), and therefore has a longer turning radius. It may also be a tight squeeze to fit into any of the wheelchair spots in shows and theaters. It will definitely be a difficult squeeze into some elevators.

Even if you did take it on a bus, you would have to be a VERY competent driver to handle something that large in the parks, i.e. driving and turning backwards to get into and out of elevators, etc.

There is no ride vehicle which can accommodate the Dream scooter, either. All vehicles will require transfer.

It sits quite a bit higher than most mobility devices (as does my powerchair) and I can say from experience that the height makes it more difficult to see curb cuts and other obstacles on the ground.

I know I more than answered your question, but as this topic has been dormant for a while, I wanted to refresh any other curious minds about why the DREAM scooter is not allowed on Disney buses.
__________________
~Katy~

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #38
dansamy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
As far as I know, yes, it does not fit on Disney buses. It is larger than is defined as a "mobility device" by the ADA, and therefore is larger than the tie-down spots on Disney buses. It cannot be tied down safely, even without a passenger, and would end up blocking part of the aisle or seats, thereby created a potential safety hazard to other guests.

It is also larger than almost any place created for an ECV or wheelchair. You may find some queues rather tight, as it is longer than a "standard mobility device" (which is what the queues were built for), and therefore has a longer turning radius. It may also be a tight squeeze to fit into any of the wheelchair spots in shows and theaters. It will definitely be a difficult squeeze into some elevators.

Even if you did take it on a bus, you would have to be a VERY competent driver to handle something that large in the parks, i.e. driving and turning backwards to get into and out of elevators, etc.

There is no ride vehicle which can accommodate the Dream scooter, either. All vehicles will require transfer.

It sits quite a bit higher than most mobility devices (as does my powerchair) and I can say from experience that the height makes it more difficult to see curb cuts and other obstacles on the ground.

I know I more than answered your question, but as this topic has been dormant for a while, I wanted to refresh any other curious minds about why the DREAM scooter is not allowed on Disney buses.
So, it's still allowed on the ramp-style bus, but not the lift-type? And this would be our first time needing an assistive device. My DH had a stroke in Jan. He has very poor balance and some residual weakness and neuropathy. He's currently using a walker at home and is off work while doing PT to regain strength and endurance. He's an airplane mechanic and usually walked 8-10 miles per day. This has been a very difficult adjustment for him. I just want him to be able to enjoy the parks without too much additional stress regarding his lack of mobility. I want him to be comfortable and not feel like he's missing out due to limited visibility from a low seated position.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #39
KPeveler
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 6 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 4,024
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
So, it's still allowed on the ramp-style bus, but not the lift-type? And this would be our first time needing an assistive device. My DH had a stroke in Jan. He has very poor balance and some residual weakness and neuropathy. He's currently using a walker at home and is off work while doing PT to regain strength and endurance. He's an airplane mechanic and usually walked 8-10 miles per day. This has been a very difficult adjustment for him. I just want him to be able to enjoy the parks without too much additional stress regarding his lack of mobility. I want him to be comfortable and not feel like he's missing out due to limited visibility from a low seated position.
No, they are not allowed on any bus, as they do not fit into the tie-down area. Some people have reported they were allowed on some buses, but the policy is that Dream scooters are not allowed on any bus. You may encounter difficulties if you rent this scooter.

I understand the difficulties of suddenly being thrust into the world of disabilities. I am only 28, and I have only had a chair for 3 years (though I used one at Disney before that). It is not an easy process, and I wish you both all the best of luck with the recovery process.

I understand wanting the higher vantage point, but if he is not used to driving a scooter, he may find this one a little hard to handle. In fact, that is something one person posted - that it was great for experienced users, but beginners may find it difficult to drive.

I also wanted to note that driving a scooter is incredibly tiring. You need VERY fast reflexes, good peripheral vision in both eyes, and good stamina, both in terms of hand strength and mental stamina to look out for people. He may want to practice using a scooter at home before going to Disney.

You may also be able to rent one at home, or even have insurance buy one for him to aid him in places other than Disney. That way it would be the right model for him, and he would help regain his independence at home as well as on vacation. Just something you may want to consider looking in to.

Check out some of the other posts on this board, and feel free to create your own post asking for tips and advice - its amazing the wealth of knowledge here, and I am sure there have been others on this board with a similar experience to your. I hope you have a wonderful trip and wish you all the best.
__________________
~Katy~

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #40
dansamy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
No, they are not allowed on any bus, as they do not fit into the tie-down area. Some people have reported they were allowed on some buses, but the policy is that Dream scooters are not allowed on any bus. You may encounter difficulties if you rent this scooter.

I understand the difficulties of suddenly being thrust into the world of disabilities. I am only 28, and I have only had a chair for 3 years (though I used one at Disney before that). It is not an easy process, and I wish you both all the best of luck with the recovery process.

I understand wanting the higher vantage point, but if he is not used to driving a scooter, he may find this one a little hard to handle. In fact, that is something one person posted - that it was great for experienced users, but beginners may find it difficult to drive.

I also wanted to note that driving a scooter is incredibly tiring. You need VERY fast reflexes, good peripheral vision in both eyes, and good stamina, both in terms of hand strength and mental stamina to look out for people. He may want to practice using a scooter at home before going to Disney.

You may also be able to rent one at home, or even have insurance buy one for him to aid him in places other than Disney. That way it would be the right model for him, and he would help regain his independence at home as well as on vacation. Just something you may want to consider looking in to.

Check out some of the other posts on this board, and feel free to create your own post asking for tips and advice - its amazing the wealth of knowledge here, and I am sure there have been others on this board with a similar experience to your. I hope you have a wonderful trip and wish you all the best.
Ok. I think I'll call them and change to another model. I don't want to risk being denied bus transport. We'll be at AKL and so we'll be bussing everywhere. If we were at BLT, I'd be fine just monorailing to MK and EPCOT.

Re: insurance and buying (or renting) one for at home - At this point, he's very early in the recovery and until we know what residual deficits will be permanent, insurance has provided him with a walker, shower chair and PT. If he's unable to regain a good sense of balance or any significant endurance/stamina or motor control, then I suppose we, our MD and the insurance company will have to look at what coverages we have and what's appropriate. They won't consider any of his deficits permanent until 3-6 months post-stroke and post-PT.

Right now, at home, he "cruises" the furniture inside our home and I haven't had to take him to the store with me, so he hasn't needed to use one of theirs. He uses the walker when we go to our homeschool group, Scout meetings, etc. His daily walking is less than 250ft right now. He simply doesn't have any stamina or endurance to do more than that. Grocery shopping is absolutely out of the question. Certainly, 10 miles a day for his job (or WDW) is impossible.

I had taken some time off for our anniversary and since he's out anyway and we had points, WTH - we'll go to WDW for a couple days. We've been numerous times. We've ridden all the "must-see" rides numerous times. We're ok with a slower-paced trip. It's a bit impromptu anyway.

Last edited by dansamy; 02-16-2013 at 12:39 AM.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #41
KPeveler
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 6 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 4,024
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Ok. I think I'll call them and change to another model. I don't want to risk being denied bus transport. We'll be at AKL and so we'll be bussing everywhere.

Re: insurance and buying (or renting) one for at home - At this point, he's very early in the recovery and until we know what residual deficits will be permanent, insurance has provided him with a walker, shower chair and PT. If he's unable to regain a good sense of balance or any significant endurance/stamina or motor control, then I suppose we, our MD and the insurance company will have to look at what coverages we have and what's appropriate. They won't consider any of his deficits permanent until 3-6 months post-stroke and post-PT.
I would definitely have him try and practice with the scooters in malls or supermarkets and Target/Walmart before you go. An ECV may be perfect for him, but he would need to transfer out to almost every ride, which he may find difficult from some scooters. Some scooters, I am not sure what models, have a chair that swivels to the side. This may be especially helpful for transferring. I would ask in an independent thread about things like that - there may be other people who have experiences with strokes and scooters and have good ideas.

He will need to be able to control the scooter safely in a crowded environment, so I would suggest he practice in Target or someplace like it before he gets there. This will give him a better idea of how hard it is going to be, and what he may be looking for in a scooter.

Something else to note is that scooters, unlike powerchairs, so not have lap belts and the arms are really not meant to keep a person "in." If his balance is such that he may fall from the scooter seat, you may want to consider renting a wheelchair, which will have more substantial sides.
__________________
~Katy~

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #42
dansamy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
I would definitely have him try and practice with the scooters in malls or supermarkets and Target/Walmart before you go. An ECV may be perfect for him, but he would need to transfer out to almost every ride, which he may find difficult from some scooters. Some scooters, I am not sure what models, have a chair that swivels to the side. This may be especially helpful for transferring. I would ask in an independent thread about things like that - there may be other people who have experiences with strokes and scooters and have good ideas.

He will need to be able to control the scooter safely in a crowded environment, so I would suggest he practice in Target or someplace like it before he gets there. This will give him a better idea of how hard it is going to be, and what he may be looking for in a scooter.

Something else to note is that scooters, unlike powerchairs, so not have lap belts and the arms are really not meant to keep a person "in." If his balance is such that he may fall from the scooter seat, you may want to consider renting a wheelchair, which will have more substantial sides.
Sorry, I was editing while you were posting!

His sitting balance is good. Transferring sometimes requires assistance to stand. Sometimes not. At this point, his primary deficit is his lack of strength and motor control of his left leg and balance on that left leg. While in the hospital, he had a pretty significant loss of muscle tissue and even had foot drop on that left side. He's definitely got a ways to go...

And he's not even 39 yet. In high school superlatives, he was voted "Most Likely to End Up In A Body Cast".

Last edited by dansamy; 02-16-2013 at 12:51 AM.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #43
KPeveler
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 6 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 4,024
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Sorry, I was editing while you were posting!

His sitting balance is good. Transferring sometimes requires assistance to stand. Sometimes not. At this point, his primary deficit is his lack of strength and motor control of his left leg and balance on that left leg. While in the hospital, he had a pretty significant loss of muscle tissue and even had foot drop on that left side. He's definitely got a ways to go...
The first time I ever used a scooter, I went full tilt into a movie rack in Target. First time I ever used a powerchair (which I do NOT suggest for your husband), I ran into the wall of a bathroom stall, and left a sizable dent.

I heartily suggest, as someone who has been there before, that he try out a scooter at target, just to get the hang of it before getting to the parks. If he feels like he is holding up the family while trying to tour, or makes mistakes and gets embarrassed, it will make the trip both more difficult and less pleasant. We all know that men make the best patients, but perhaps giving him a headstart in this area would not be a bad thing.

Also, the scooters you rent in the area will be smaller and easier to turn than the ones in Target, so if he can get used to one of those once or twice, he will have far fewer problems in Florida.
__________________
~Katy~

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #44
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment
 
Cheshire Figment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Poinciana, FL (20 miles to WDW)
Posts: 38,457

A side comment is that the Dream Scooter is designed for people over 400 pounds. A standard ECV will go up to 350 or 400, depending on the model, and most of the transport (lightweight) have an upper limit of 200 or 250 pounds.
__________________
41 WDW Stays Totaling 321 nights between 1987 and mid-2003. (When "commuting" from Northern Virginia.)

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #45
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,823
DISboards Moderator

The company that rents the Dream Scooter still lists it on their website as being acceptable for buses - but, as was pointed out already, it is larger than the spaces allowed for scooters or wheelchairs under the ADA.
The last time I had contact with someone from that company was when I wrote the post about them not being allowed on the buses with lifts. They do weigh more than the average heavy duty scooter and some bus drivers have told me that the Dream scooter with rider exceed the safe weight limit for some of the ramps. So, there may be some buses it is allowed on and others not.
The reason I have been given by bus drivers for not allowing them on buses with lifts is that they are too long and too heavy and were damaging the lifts.

Because it is both significantly longer and significantly wider than most ECVs and wheelchairs, I would suggest not considering it for someone unless they have a great deal of experience driving a scooter.
Most first time users already have a difficult time driving the scooter in the queues, which are mostly around 36 inches wide. Adding a scooter that is not that much narrower than the queue makes it even more of a challenge.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: