Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #181
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnbwSktles View Post
I wanted to add a question that I forgot to mention in my post above...

Is staying at one of the hotels that is NOT near the monorail or near EPCOT a really bad idea? I am not sure we can afford any of those so we were thinking of just doing one of the value resorts. We are planning to stay for the whole week, I have contemplated spending the weekend at one of the more expensive hotels, and then switching later. That would still double the cost of our trip though!

Do I need to book really early? I have actually never stayed on property so I have no experience with this. Am I correct that I won't be able to book online until the summer?

I just applied for a Disney Visa and would at least like to get that before I book anything (so I can use it!).
I have stay all over the property and you will find that all are well served for the race.

I think the Pop or Animation may be the better economy choice as they are closer to the expo as well as close to the race. Plus the resorts are a little smaller than the All Star complex.

Any of the moderates will work fine if that is in your budget range.

If you have a strong desire to stay at a particular resort, I would book as soon as 2014 reservations open. That will kepp you from being blocked out. The caveat to this is that you can always rebook once any discounts are announced. The rebooking will not cause you to lose your room. Keep an eye on sites like Mouse Savers to for any discounting that may occur.

Oh, Make your reservations through Central Reservations and not the marathon reservations. The Central reservations (407-WDW-Disney) folks will have deeper discounts if they are announced.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #182
drummerwife
This princess saves herself!

Has anybody used a treadmill desk in their training? Iím planning on walking goofy and unfortunately Iím stuck inside for most of the day. Iíve made a desk top that sits on top of the arms of the treadmill so I can put my computer on it and it works really well. My only concern is I have to walk slow so I can still type. Iím still going out on the weekends for my long walks, but do you think walking 2-3 hours a day at a really slow pace the rest of the week would be of any benefit? Thanks for any advice.

drummerwife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #183
THKlovesDisney
Earning My Ears

Just booked January stay for the Goofy. 10 years after my first marathon at Disney, it will be my 10th full. But first Goofy!!! This trip will be without kids, as we will be too tired.

Add me to the list of those looking forward to the Goofy in 2014!
THKlovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #184
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Hi!

Very excited about running in 2014! DW says we can go if I run. I've never run more than a handfull of miles (back in high school). I am 2 weeks into my 5k program. I am unsure if I will register for the half or the full. It will depend on my progress by the time registration time comes around. If it's only the half, then so be it.

Looking forward to sharing this adventure with all of you!

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR In Progress
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!
Our Disney Blog: "Home is Where the Mouse is"

Treguna Mekoides and Trecorum Satis Dee
baseballmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:08 AM   #185
coco392
Mouseketeer

bugger I'm out - airfares from Australia for that time of year just too much. 3000 plus each for the three of us.

rescheduled for September 1100 airfares plus accomodation at just about everywhere much cheaper
coco392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #186
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmer1rick

You should have plenty of time depending on how fast you run. Race starts at 5:30 with Corral A. I was in C and stopped at every character picture stop and took it easy and was done by 8:00. Got back to BLT by 8:30 and in the tub shortly after. We were at the parks by 9:30.

It only takes an hour to get to the ship. If you are taking the ME, you should look at a pickup after 10am or so. Unless your Port Arrival time is later, then schedule around that. Enjoy your cruise. We love the Fantasy.

Thanks for this I keep changing our plans and now am losing my mind! Lol... Our other option is stay at BLT until Sunday, cruise on the Dream for four days, fly to LA, run tink and then come home. I really want to run Tink, but I would also love 7 days on the Fantasy. So torn.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #187
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloirishkitty View Post
Thanks for this I keep changing our plans and now am losing my mind! Lol... Our other option is stay at BLT until Sunday, cruise on the Dream for four days, fly to LA, run tink and then come home. I really want to run Tink, but I would also love 7 days on the Fantasy. So torn.
We have sailed both the Dream and the Fantasy and like the Fantasy MUCH better. I really believe you will have no problem getting to the ship on time.

Remember, the ships don't cut off boarding till 3:30pm. So, even the worst case.. You are in the last corral and don't start until 6:30 or so (corrals start 7 min apart with first one starting at 5:30) and run the min pace (16 mm) and finish in 3:30 mins. That gets you done by 10:00. Lets say it takes you 30 mins to get to BLT (normally takes about 20 mins). You get to the hotel by 10:30.. an hour to change and shower.. Bus pickup at 12:00 and to the ship by 1 pm.. You should be great.
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #188
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

Now that my vacation has been approved I'm starting to think maybe I should put together a running outfit. The problem is, my favorite princess isn't even Disney. It's Princess Buttercup, and I can't find a straight red running top I would wear.

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012

Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014

http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
DisneyParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #189
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyParrothead View Post
Now that my vacation has been approved I'm starting to think maybe I should put together a running outfit. The problem is, my favorite princess isn't even Disney. It's Princess Buttercup, and I can't find a straight red running top I would wear.
Plain red like this?

http://www.golite.com/Ws-Vista-Ridge...op-P46896.aspx

Edit:

http://www.shoebuy.com/red-running-tops.htm

and

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-WRLSTOP.html
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #190
DEA
DIS Veteran

Hi folks,

My DW (myweegirls) already put her name in for next year here on the thread, so I thought I should throw myself into the fray as well. At the moment, the plan is to do the Goofy Challenge. I know I was really happy with my Half Marathon accomplishment in January, until I saw everyone with their Goofy medals on Sunday, and felt like I should have done more. Next January, I hope to have my chance.

Anyway, I'm in for all the craziness, and look forward to sharing the course with you all.

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #191
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyParrothead View Post
Or even plain red like this too:

http://www.sportsciencewear.com/shop...ns-v-neck-tee/

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #192
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
Thanks! I hadn't thought of Running Warehouse and I haven't heard of the other websites before. I've got some shopping to do.

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012

Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014

http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
DisneyParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #193
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

I'm in for the 1/2 next year! Never done a 1/2 before (have only done a couple 5K's) I am just getting back into running this week, I had been hit by a car while running back in April 2011, had some relatively minor injuries (broken wrist, broken fibula and torn shoulder labrum) fractures healed well enough but the shoulder had been giving me trouble all along. I finally had the surgery to repair the labrum tear in September 2012, but I also had an unexpected hysterectomy thrown in to the mix last February 2012. (It's been a bad 2 years )

Anyway, I just got cleared to get back to running last week...

Starting slowly, and I am able to run a mile at a time right now, but I have to take it slowly because the shoulder is still not 100% yet.

it will be a long, slow road to get ready for a 1/2, but I am determined to get there!!
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon with DD
**Coming Up**8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon with DDGoing Coast to Coast

Last edited by cepmom; 02-20-2013 at 10:16 AM.
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #194
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Looks like I will not be staying in the OKW resort for 2014 SO... The weather will be temperate.

I came down with the flu just after Goofy and last week was the first time I could string together a run where I did not feel like I was trying to run with a microscopic branchial system. I was attempting to start a streak... guess that started last week instead of last December.

I am planning on running all Disney FL races in 2014. This real issue for me is that I really do not like paying $50+ for untimed events (aka 5k events).

ORN (obligatory running note): Ran a really slow 3 miler this morning.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #195
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepmom View Post
I'm in for the 1/2 next year! Never done a 1/2 before (have only done a couple 5K's) I am just getting back into running this week, I had been hit by a car while running back in April 2011, had some relatively minor injuries (broken wrist, broken fibula and torn shoulder labrum) fractures healed well enough but the should had been giving me trouble all along. I finally had the surgery to repair the labrum tear in September 2012, but I also had an unexpected hysterectomy thrown in to the mix last February 2012. (It's been a bad 2 years )

Anyway, I just got cleared to get back to running last week...

Starting slowly, and I am able to run a mile at a time right now, but I have to take it slowly because the shoulder is still not 100% yet.

it will be a long, slow road to get ready for a 1/2, but I am determined to get there!!
I was hit by a car in 2009 while on a business trip to Marco Island. I came out 100% lucky on the incident coming out with a nice set of bruises.

You are on the right track... take it slow and easy - one day at a time. You are going to have a great half
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: