Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #91
Disneynutinlondon
It's been such a blast with all the lurkers and fluffing
I seem to be whitering on in a constant stream of random thoughts
I think I'll just go with the small one

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
It is a complete waste of money and time for everyone with a DL written in English but the lawmakers in Florida passed the law so we are stuck with it for now, I heard July 1st is the earliest it can be changed. Its just as frustrating for the Candians, it affects them in the same way.
Common sense would be for the lawmakers to admit they made a mistake and announce fthey will turn a blind eye to the rule until they can re-word it.
"Common sense" being the operative word ..... and I think that the Florida state law makers have shown that they don't necessarily possess very much of it
Old 02-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #92
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneynutinlondon View Post
"Common sense" being the operative word ..... and I think that the Florida state law makers have shown that they don't necessarily possess very much of it
Looks like they are having to rethink their law. Cound have violated the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949)

This is now on their website
http://flhsmv.gov/IDP.htm
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #93
Disneynutinlondon
It's been such a blast with all the lurkers and fluffing
I seem to be whitering on in a constant stream of random thoughts
I think I'll just go with the small one

Quote:
Looks like they are having to rethink their law. Cound have violated the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949)

OMG it just gets better and better !
Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #94
going/again
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
chmurf, I am afraid I disagree with you as I see the Florida statute as being the law that applies to those people required to hold a driver's licence in Flroida. I honestly don't believe that it applies to International visitors to the US who have a rental car. If it did, the rental companies would be aware (and they aren't) and there would be far more checks in place to make sure you had a valid IDP before you were allowed to drive a car.

In fact, the previous chapter to that quoted states when a non-resident is required to obtain a FL driving licence. As we would not be required to obtain a FL licence (as visitors to the state) then the exemptions actually would not apply either since we are not required to be licenced in the state (that made sense in my head but doesn't read so well when reading it back).

In other words, we don't need to meet the requirements to be exempt from obtaining a licence since we are not required to obtain a FL licence in the first place. Hope that makes more sense
Sorry Wilma you got it wrong read the thread on the US forums. you have to have one the, Florida senate have admitted they got it wrong and are looking at making an exception for Canada, what they are saying is you have to have An IDP translated into English even if yours is allready in English, got to go down as one of the dumbest laws ever.
going/again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #95
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Beat me to it Wayne, I was just coming to post that
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #96
wilma-bride

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by going/again View Post
Sorry Wilma you got it wrong read the thread on the US forums. you have to have one the, Florida senate have admitted they got it wrong and are looking at making an exception for Canada, what they are saying is you have to have An IDP translated into English even if yours is allready in English, got to go down as one of the dumbest laws ever.
Firstly, you are quoting one of my first posts in response to the thread. I did later admit that I got it wrong - so you didn't have to point that out for me, thanks

However, if you read the update on the FDHSMV website (as posted by Wayne above) you will find that the new statute violates the Geneva convention and therefore foregin visitors to Florida will not need an IDP. I will therefore NOT be getting an IDP
Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #97
going/again
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=chmurf;47491678] I think, is that they (Florida Senate) underestimated the uproar it would cause in the UK./QUOTE]

Its not going down well in Canada either.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #98
going/again
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Firstly, you are quoting one of my first posts in response to the thread. I did later admit that I got it wrong - so you didn't have to point that out for me, thanks
Wow sorry, I replied to that post as I read it, I didnt know you had to read every page then go back so thanks for your reply.

Last edited by going/again; 02-14-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #99
chmurf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneynutinlondon View Post
OMG it just gets better and better !
It's even more obscure now.

In the DMV statement (link posted by Wayne) it is only clearly stated the position of the FHP.

FHP is not the only law enforcement agency regulating traffic.

What about local police, what about sheriffs, what about all of the other Law Enforcement Agencies.

It's an even bigger mess now, because it creates a false sense of safety and a false impression that it's now ok to drive without the IDP which is not, because the law is still there and only the FHP has issued the statement according to which they won't uphold the law. The others LEA didn't, and they're still at liberty to put you under arrest or give you a citation or a fine

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
oct-nov 2013 : AoA/POR
chmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #100
wilma-bride

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
It's even more obscure now.

In the DMV statement (link posted by Wayne) it is only clearly stated the position of the FHP.

FHP is not the only law endorcement agency regulating traffic.

What about local police, what about sheriffs, what about all of the other Law Enforcement Agencies.

It's an even bigger mess now, because it creates a false sense of safety and a false impression that it's now ok to drive without the IDP which is not, because the law is still there and only the FHP has issued the statement according to which they won't uphold the law. The others LEA didn't, and they're still at liberty to put you under arrest or give you a citation or a fine
I think I'm gonna take my chances
Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #101
chmurf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think I'm gonna take my chances
I wonder how fast the wi-fi is in Florida's cells ...

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
oct-nov 2013 : AoA/POR
chmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #102
going/again
DIS Veteran

Quote:

However, if you read the update on the FDHSMV website (as posted by Wayne above) you will find that the new statute violates the Geneva convention and therefore foregin visitors to Florida will not need an IDP. I will therefore NOT be getting an IDP
Right I've read what Wayne posted, you missed a word its MAY, When people
are trying to help sarcasm is not the best way to respond.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #103
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Glad I am not going for a few weeks, hope its all a bit clearer by then.

Quote:
Wow sorry, I replied to that post as I read it, I didnt know you had to read every page then go back so thanks for your reply.
We are all different how we use a forum but personally I would never respond without reading the whole thread to know how the discussion has progressed.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #104
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
And if you are still technically driving without the required documents by current Florida Law (never mind whether anyone plans to enforce it) might the insurance companies use it as another way to wriggle out of paying claims? They'll milk any excuse.

But at least this will be enough to avoid large numbers of angry stranded tourists at the airport car rental desks.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #105
wilma-bride

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Right I've read what Wayne posted, you missed a word its MAY, When people
are trying to help sarcasm is not the best way to respond.
There was nothing sarcastic in my response to you, I was just pointing out that you were a little late in correcting me and, had you read the thread all the way through before starting to quote posts, you would have seen that there were many who were doubting the validity of the new law who later had to admit that they might have been incorrect.

You are, however, correct in that I said it does contravene the Geneva convention and the link actually says it "may" contravene the Geneva convention. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to. It amounts to the same thing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: