Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #496
delmar411
DIS Veteran

I dropped a trunk full off at goodwill 2x this week and I have another batch ready to go.

I need to find someplace to recycle cardboard boxes or just suck it up and break them down for garbage day. That will make the garage look less messy.

I also went to the container store and got 4 DVD holder binders. I got about 100 DVDs/blu-rays into those and the cases thrown away. The store is pretty far away from me so I should of gotten more while I was there. I also got the kids some underbed storage drawers and the boys immediately took them and filled those up so I'm thinking these will be good for quick clean ups in their room.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 AM   #497
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

I've been horrible this past week . I had a 3 day weekend and I didn't do any de stashing! I have another 3 day coming up so I'm going to try and post more items on Craig's list. I also need to renew my old CL postings. I' been putting $$ away for the summer month I won't be working. I usually sell on CL or have yardsales for that month I don't get paid. Hopefully with the money saved I won't have to do yardsales and whatever doesn't sell on CL will be donated by August . I told dh one I get rid of my CL piles in the target he can focus on turning it into his man sport cave lol!
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #498
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

I had knee surgery, so hadn't been in the declutter mode for weeks! After lots of physical therapy, I'm getting back into my normal routine.

So this weekend, when the Northeast got blizzard-ed by Nemo, I decided it was time to do some work! I tackled our DVD cases and VHS tapes. The majority of our DVDs are now in binders taking up one small shelf space in our entertainment and it feels AMAZING to have more space clear.

I also worked on my collection of books (I love to read so this is harder for me) and only keeping treasured volumes, and only what would fit in a designated space. Slowly, I'm going to start loading some of the paperbacks to my Nook, and get rid of those as well.

I love progress!
TarzansKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #499
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

I've been trudging along, going through papers, taking a load to goodwill here and there, but no big areas decluttered...need to take care of my desk and my closet.

Two local grocery stores stopped doubling coupons, if Meijer does too it will cut back dramatically on the number of coupons I hold on to...and I will probably cancel my newspaper subscription, so both of those things would result in less paper laying around.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #500
arwood82
DIS Veteran

I am off today and tomorrow and I am determined to get some stuff done. We moved in August and I feel like we have still not gotten completely organized from that. My goal today is to get my kitchen completely finished, including my "laundry corner". Hopefully I will be able to make a run to Goodwill today too.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #501
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Continued going through books yesterday (found more!) and then started on the CDs. Took everything out of cases and put into binders. It is AMAZING how much less room that takes up and how much better it makes me feel! Our family room is starting to look more like a fun place to be as opposed to a hodge podge of stuff blocking the things we really use.
TarzansKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #502
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

It sounds like so many of you are making some great progress!!

I have been slacking big time this year. It's been so busy with shuttling DH around to dr appointments, work and some traveling. now that my weekends away are done for a few months, it's time to get on track again.

My to do list in no particular order:
my sock & underwear drawer
the bottom of the coat closet
the desk (our red hot zone)
the closed cabinets and drawers in the living room
under the bed
the food/pantry cabinet

I also need to fully unpack from this past weekend and put my scraproom back in order. That's on deck for tonight.
cluvsdisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #503
Jannephotog
Mouseketeer

Alright, I'm here to destash and party! Just found this post but have been working on this since the beginning of the year myself...Can't get it all done on the weekend and it's been a long process but I'm finally getting somethings taken care of & done in my room (I'm 25 and live with my parents still....it's hard keeping 25 years of things in one room!)...but here's what I've done so far:

-Taken all of my cds except for the very special ones to a local store and sold them back for credit and walked out with 3 Disney dvds I had been wanting & having less room taken up for sure...the few cds I've kept are hidden away in decorative storage boxes now.

-Downsized dvds and then put them away where they aren't on display but in a cabinet.

-Went through my closet and drawers of clothes, taking a shopping bag and 3 garbage bags on clothes, shoes, purses, etc. to Goodwill and another bag to a local vintage/consignment store (receiving $60 in store credit for a record or two & gifts for some folks!)

-Cleaned out under the bathroom sink and combined shampoo, conditioners, etc. and clearing out extra things that are just taking up extra space.

-Organized my catch-all for craft supplies (got rid of a lot of extra junk I'd been saving for "the perfect project") and turned it into a very organized spot for office supplies and stationary that I don't have room for elsewhere.

-Took my zine collection, downsized it by 75% or more and am sending a huge chunk of it to a library for their zine collection.

I'm sure there will be more as time goes on too...
Jannephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #504
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

This week was pretty successful. I took two big bags to Goodwill after cleaning my closet. I listed 3 items on ebay. And I have a small pile of more stuff to put on ebay. I have two items that have been sitting on Craigslist for a week - priced the same as everyone else, a few people with interest, but no sales yet. Next step is selling the pack-n-play...

I finally disposed of the two small bags of toys that I hid in a closet a year ago. My daughter is a hoarder and when she was 4, there was no way we could get her to participate in giving things away. She also has an incredible memory and may ask for a toy or book that we haven't had out in months. So this was my system for awhile - hide it, and if she doesn't ask for it, then donate or trash. She has gotten better recently, so we've been able to work out the number of items she needs to give to someone else a few times a year.
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * Next up: 2014 Glass Slipper
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #505
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

FINALLY!!! I have something to post! I cleaned our bedroom -- went through my dresser, which had become nothing but junk drawers.

Two HUGE bags of trash, plus an extra bag from our bathroom of all the bottles, perfumes, lotions, etc. that I get as gifts (or buy, out of a strange sense of "I'll use it this time"). Felt so freeing to get rid of the ick.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #506
arwood82
DIS Veteran

So I decided to clean out my kitchen but got sidetracked putting laundry away. So I ended up cleaning out my closet and all of my drawers and have a whole box to take to goodwill. Now to work on the kitchen.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #507
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

DH has agreed we will both go thru all our clothes drawers & closets this weekend. Hoping he sticks to his word. Not holding my breath.

Haven't watched any episodes of Hoarders in months, so turned it on tonight for some motivation.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #508
ferrytale
Mouseketeer

Ok need to get myself back on this band wagon. I did great at the start of 2012, & was way off course by the end of the year. Had full intentions of starting 2013 off right but started off with some bad family crisis which threw everything out of whack, but ready to get this ball rolling.
Last weekend I cleaned out my closet with all my kitchen gadgets & tossed a bag of empty boxes and broken appliances that were taking up space. Not much. But a start. Wish me good luck (Charlie!) lol
Old 02-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #509
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

Worked on the dining room yesterday... got the hutch and sideboard completely cleaned out. One bag of trash and a box for Goodwill

My office is unfortunately in the dining room, so I'm tackling my desk Friday. Then I just need to Lysol top to bottom and I can check another room off my list!

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #510
Jannephotog
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny3 View Post
My office is unfortunately in the dining room, so I'm tackling my desk Friday. Then I just need to Lysol top to bottom and I can check another room off my list!
The desk is my huge issue....somehow everything that comes off of the top of the dresser & elsewhere winds up on there... one day I'll tackle it...one day! Good luck to you, Ms. Jenny3!

Jannephotog is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: