Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
mks18412
Mouseketeer

What to pay a baby sitter?

What is the average pay for a baby sitter? My kids are 10 yr old dd and 2 yr old ds. My son is partially potty trained if this makes a difference. I do NOT want them to do any cleaning just watch the kids while me and dh go out to dinner. I live in GA.
mks18412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
ArmyWife7
Mouseketeer

I live in South MS and pay $10 per hour for 2 kids (3 and 5).
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mks18412 View Post
What is the average pay for a baby sitter? My kids are 10 yr old dd and 2 yr old ds. My son is partially potty trained if this makes a difference. I do NOT want them to do any cleaning just watch the kids while me and dh go out to dinner. I live in GA.
It varies greatly according to where you live. See you are in GA. I would ask around your friends/neighbors and see what the going rate would be.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

I'd pay the 10 year old 2.00 an hour to watch the 2 year old
Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

I pay $10/hr for my 2 kids and have for awhile (since they were probably 3 and 7, now they're 7 and 10). We're in Northwest Florida. I would imagine you'd pay about the same.

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

I pay $10 per hour. I am in Mississippi, not too different.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
I'd pay the 10 year old 2.00 an hour to watch the 2 year old
I would like to think that this is a joke (she said dinner time, not a quick trip to pick up a thing of milk during mid afternoon) but from your previous posting history I am really afraid this suggestion is for real.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

we live in NJ, I have a 7yr old son, his babysitter is 17, I pay her $10hr plus get them a pizza for dinner, she never gave us a fee, that's what I came up with, but it must be alright, since she will actually cancel her plans to babysit We often go to Gift Auctions that last 4-6hrs, so it's a pretty decent pay day for her, I've won Disney Park Hoppers a few times at these gift auctions plus other great prizes, so what I pay the baby sitter is nothing compared to our payoff sometimes, hey sometimes we even give her parts of some prizes that we will not use
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #9
Maddies Mama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWife7 View Post
I live in South MS and pay $10 per hour for 2 kids (3 and 5).
I'm in south MS as well and pay the same... $5 per hr per child.

Disney Cruises: Dream 12/11

Run Disney: 12/11 Castaway Cay 5k, 02/13 Princess 1/2 Marathon

Maddies Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
yellowjacketfan
Earning My Ears

My dd had a few families she sat for before she went away to school, all paid her $10 per hour, usually 2 kids each, various ages. This was in GA as well. No cleaning. Hope this helps!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #11
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
I would like to think that this is a joke (she said dinner time, not a quick trip to pick up a thing of milk during mid afternoon) but from your previous posting history I am really afraid this suggestion is for real.
I think in many states it would be illegal to leave a 10 year old in charge...most require a child to be 12 before watching any other kids.
My dd is 111/2 and will "babysit" when another parent is home but working in the office, or for a very quick trip to the store, nothing over an hour, after dark, and even then it is normally when the little one (3) is still sleeping or at his nap etc. She is an unusually responsible kid, and has taken the American Red Cross babysitting class and a First Aid class, has a cell phone. Our rule for family babysitting is I pay the same price I would another sitter if it is for fun for Dh and I, (like when we eventually go to dinner) but if it is a family chore such as the kids didn't want to go to the store, or another kid's doctor appt I don't pay. (except sometimes I do just because)
We get another sitter for dinner's out etc and here we pay about 9 an hour plus rounding up for tip (and because we normally have to hit the atm on the way home) for 3 kids. Nothing extra, just hanging with the kids and then watching tv once they are asleep.
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
danielle79
Dreaming of the Castle!

Not only is it illegal to leave a ten year old in charge of a 2 year old it is extremely unfair. I am 8 years older than my brother and I felt like I was born to be his babysitter, I many times had to cancel my plans as a teen to watch my bro or bring him along. I love my brother to death, in fact I felt extremely guilty moving out at 18 and leaving him there "on his own", but I felt a lot of resentment towards my parents. I was usually watching him so they could go out and entertain themselves not go to work. Now as a parent I hardly ever ask my teen to watch her sisters unless I am stuck at work, usually I pay the neighbor girl about $8 an hour for a 7 and 8 year old. Sometimes she just gets them off the bus and stays for about 20 minutes until my husband gets home and I still pay her $5.

danielle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #13
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I think $10 an hour is standard. I only pay my teens $5 an hour, since they are in the comfort of their own homes.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #14
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle79 View Post
Not only is it illegal to leave a ten year old in charge of a 2 year old it is extremely unfair. I am 8 years older than my brother and I felt like I was born to be his babysitter, I many times had to cancel my plans as a teen to watch my bro or bring him along. I love my brother to death, in fact I felt extremely guilty moving out at 18 and leaving him there "on his own", but I felt a lot of resentment towards my parents. I was usually watching him so they could go out and entertain themselves not go to work. Now as a parent I hardly ever ask my teen to watch her sisters unless I am stuck at work, usually I pay the neighbor girl about $8 an hour for a 7 and 8 year old. Sometimes she just gets them off the bus and stays for about 20 minutes until my husband gets home and I still pay her $5.
This isn't the same situation at all. This is not parents making their older child change plans to babysit the younger sibling. Sorry that happened to you, that was not very considerate of you parents to do that to you on a regular basis. This appears to be parents who rarely go out, due to the fact that she is asking how much to pay a sitter. The 10 year old is going to be at home anyway, she doesn't have plans with friends she is going to have to cancel to babysit. The options are pay a babysitter for the 2 kids or let the older child babysit the younger one. One option would be humiliating to the 10 year old (and I do have a 10 year old!), the other option would be empowering to her. I don't know of any 10 year old who would not be embarrassed to death to have a babysitter. I have a 9 & 10 year old and both of them would think I was nuts if I tried to hire a sitter for them! If your children that age are not capable of caring for themselves you are doing something seriously wrong! This once again highlights to problem of parents treating their children like babies far too long. Ask your grandparents generation if a 10 year old should be capable of caring for a 2 year old for a couple of hours. This is a 2 year old not a 2 month old and the parents are going to be gone a couple of hours not a couple of days! And no it is not illegal! There are only 2 states that have any law at all regarding what age children need to be to stay home alone and even in those 2 laws there is lots of wiggle room.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

I might pay a teen sitter $7 an hour, I would pay an adult (18 yrs +) $10 an hour. I don't feel that teen babysitters should make more than minimum wage, it is a pretty cushy gig, usually .
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: