Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
mjmartin01
Mouseketeer

rockchick - it's funny you say atlantis, bahamas...dh just mentioned that he would like to go there so I will have to look into that.

Disney 01/09 Timeshare (offsite), Disney 02/10 Timeshare (offsite),Disney 06/12 Indian Creek (offsite), Disney 06/15 Indian Creek

mjmartin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #17
Robbi
DIS Veteran

My kids used to love the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. They enjoyed Dollywood but really liked the caves in Chattanooga and the Lost Sea.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #18
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrefly View Post
There are literally thousands of places to go that aren't WDW.
this is true....wdw is a (lovely) theme park,there's an entire world out there to visit.....
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #19
trinchick
Mouseketeer

We went to Williamsburg last summer and had a great vacation with our kids (then ages 7 and 1). We rented a timeshare unit so had a kitchen and separate bedrooms. Busch Gardens was great, and we also went to Water Country. DD is a huge history buff and really enjoyed Colonial Williamsburg. We also stopped at Mount Vernon on our way down to VA, and we all liked that.

Have you thought about Boston? I'm biased because I live here, but there is lots for families to do in the area. There's the whole Freedom Trail, the Aquarium, and the Children's Museum. Within driving distance are the beaches of Cape Cod as well as Cape Ann. Newport and the mansions also make a good day trip while you're in the area.

We've also had many, many great trips to Amish Country in Pennsylvania. Love the farms, buggy rides, Strasburg Railroad, etc. Great amusement parks nearby, too (Hershey, Dutch Wonderland, Knoebels). Also, Gettysburg is close for a dose of history and the chance to tour Pres Eisenhower's house. Philadelphia is an hour or so away, with Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and Betsy Ross's house. There's major league baseball with the Phillies in Philadelphia, as well as the Lancaster Barnstormers minor league team right in Lancaster. A fun family night.

Over spring break, we're going to the Berkshires in western Massachusetts. Cute villages, museums, nature walks. Striking distance to Cooperstown and FDR's house in Hyde Park, NY for day trips.

DD8 is clamoring to go Washington, DC. I think she'd love it but our 2yo isn't ready, so we're going to save that one for a couple of years.

This summer we'll be traveling to Prince Edward Island and renting a cottage. On the drive up, we'll stop at the Bay of Fundy for a couple of days to walk on the ocean floor, and then the rest of the trip will be spent enjoying the beaches, lighthouses, fresh seafood, and the land of Anne of Green Gables. On the way back we may stop at Campobello to tour FDR's summer home (I have a thing for presidential houses).

Have a great trip! When I'm planning, I always try to remind myself that the goal is to come up with 10 pleasant days. They don't need to be full or exciting; we just need to have time together that everyone can enjoy.

Editing to add: We've also done the all inclusive thing in Punta Cana a couple of times and the kids have had a blast! We didn't even bother with excursions; there was tons to do at the resorts and we loved just hanging out together on the beach making sand castles and swimming in the beautiful, clear, warm water.

Last edited by trinchick; 02-14-2013 at 09:19 AM.
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Your question is so open ended that it's pretty hard to answer. However, if you are interested in the east coast, I suggest considering Boston. Tons of fun things to do for all ages and it's easy to get around using the T (subway system).
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #21
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

we are trying to decide our vacation as well....hard to choose!
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #22
jnfr2424
I'm Tink I got my Peter Pan and together we love to fly away to Neverland!

Philadelphia PA - the Franklin Institute
another vote for Boston
NewYork City
Ocean City MD
another vote for Williamsburg VA

jnfr2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #23
baboo800
Earning My Ears

Saudi Arabia has some beautiful ancient ruins if you're family enjoys historical buildings

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
baboo800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #24
My2CrazyGirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboo800 View Post
Saudi Arabia has some beautiful ancient ruins if you're family enjoys historical buildings

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Hmmmm, might want to check the state department website before traveling out of country.

Would love to see the pyramids in Egypt but not wanting to get killed is more important to me.
My2CrazyGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #25
mjmartin01
Mouseketeer

trinchick- what timeshare did you rent from? I''m thinking Williamsburg area is where we may end up going if we don't go back to WDW.

Disney 01/09 Timeshare (offsite), Disney 02/10 Timeshare (offsite),Disney 06/12 Indian Creek (offsite), Disney 06/15 Indian Creek

mjmartin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #26
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

We spent a few days in Chattanooga last year and enjoyed it. The aquarium there was fantastic! My kids also enjoyed the children's museum. We did Rock City, Ruby Falls and the Incline Railway, too. I'm sure we could have spent more time in the area, but had tacked the trip onto a visit to my in-laws, so we worked with what we had.

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #27
iheartwalt
Mouseketeer

We like the Florida Keys We rent a house (from VRBO) on Big Pine Key and then just have short drives to Key West, Sombrero Beach, Dolphin Center, etc. Great deep sea fishing, sea food eating, nature, cute shops...all and all a great time!
I like the island feel without actually leaving the US. Plus I am not a big city person so I enjoy that everything is really small and easy to navigate (Key West being a bit more difficult).
Old 02-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #28
littlezar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmartin01 View Post
trinchick- what timeshare did you rent from? I''m thinking Williamsburg area is where we may end up going if we don't go back to WDW.
If you go with Williamsburg and want to take a 60-90 minute drive depending on destination and traffic:

Virginia Beach Happenings

Norfolk Happenings

Virginia Zoo in Norfolk

Children's Museum of Virginia in Portsmouth

Norfolk Tides Baseball

Virginia Aquarium in Virginia Beach

Last edited by littlezar; 02-16-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Adding Aquarium link
littlezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #29
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlezar View Post
If you go with Williamsburg and want to take a 60-90 minute drive depending on destination and traffic:

Virginia Beach Happenings

Norfolk Happenings

Virginia Zoo in Norfolk

Children's Museum of Virginia in Portsmouth

Norfolk Tides Baseball
There is also a science museum in VA Beach that my kids love. There are big aquarium exhibits, a touch tank, nature walk, etc.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #30
Robbi
DIS Veteran

We love Williamsburg. When our kids were younger, we'd do the history part for the first few days and then we'd go to Busch Gardens which is a beautiful theme park for a day. Then we'd take them to the water park. After Williamsburg, we'd go to Washington DC and tour the museums, Ford's Theater, etc. One of their favorites was the Spy Museum.
We've been 3 or 4 times and could go back every year.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: