Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

Use Visa rewards now or save for future trip?

Hi all!

We have a Disney Cruise coming up, and we have accrued some Disney visa rewards! We also have a Walt Disney World trip some 4 months later. Would you use the rewards now or save them and build up more rewards to use for the future trip?

I know mathematically it might not make a difference, OR it might tip in favor of using the rewards now, as the cash you're saving is earning interest in the bank. However, psychologically would saving them and building up more points make the future trip seem less expensive?

I know this is splitting hairs, just something fun to think about.

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
beansmom
Your dream eludes you? Don't you know that a dream is a wish your heart makes??

i think i would save them up.

i have a savings jar. we have a trip planned for may to ireland/scotland/paris and we have resigned ourselves to paying for that. I don't think i'd really have enough to make a dent in that trip by may so I'm earmarking the jar for the trip I want to take to Maui next january. By May I will only have a few hundred $$ in the jar but by next year I should have well over $1000. It is more exciting to be able to say 'look! this will pay for a week in the condo and groceries'. Better than 'we saved $300 off a $7k vacation'. KWIM?

I guess i like big gestures.
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
ICF
DIS Veteran

I'd use them....there is no guarantee of a future trip, and I think they expire 7 years after earning them.
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaDiWo View Post
Hi all!

We have a Disney Cruise coming up, and we have accrued some Disney visa rewards! We also have a Walt Disney World trip some 4 months later. Would you use the rewards now or save them and build up more rewards to use for the future trip?

I know mathematically it might not make a difference, OR it might tip in favor of using the rewards now, as the cash you're saving is earning interest in the bank. However, psychologically would saving them and building up more points make the future trip seem less expensive?

I know this is splitting hairs, just something fun to think about.
I think that I would put all but $10 onto a Rewards Card and use it to pay my stateroom charges on the cruise. Leaving $10 un-transferred will make it possible to transfer every last cent of your future earnings to the card when you take your trip to Disney World later. You have to have a minimum of $10 each time to be able to redeem your rewards.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
gjl
Mouseketeer

Wouldn't you get 2% on all your cruise expenditures if you have the Premiere Rewards Visa? (Like Disney store, travel, park purchases, etc that earn 2%?) I'd say wait and use your card for your cruise expenses and have more "free" money to use on your trip!
gjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjl
Wouldn't you get 2% on all your cruise expenditures if you have the Premiere Rewards Visa? (Like Disney store, travel, park purchases, etc that earn 2%?) I'd say wait and use your card for your cruise expenses and have more "free" money to use on your trip!
You're absolutely correct! I do have the premiere rewards visa, and earning 2% rewards on money that I will be spending anyway is not bad. So i guess I'll save the rewards, but then i'll be faced with the same question for the next trip ... especially if we plan yet another trip!

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

My husband and I don't hold on to things like this too long. CC rewards, FF miles, etc., all expire or the rules change for redemption so you lose value.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
mickeymaker2003
DIS Veteran

They do expire. I would use them. If you really want to "save" them, you could put the same amount on a regular Disney gift card which will not expire and spend the rewards points. Either way, I wouldn't hold onto them if you have an opportunity to use them.
mickeymaker2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Suz D
DIS Veteran

This doesn't answer your original question, it's more of a tip about DCL and Disney Visa. About 2 weeks before you sail contact Disney Cruise line if you booked directly with them, or your travel agent if you used one. Have them put $X.XX on your onboard account using your Disney Visa. Whatever you don't use will be refunded to your Visa card so there isn't any risk. But here's the good part...

If you charge things onboard it just goes on your Visa as a regular Disney charge. If you put it on your Visa in advance of your trip it is charged as a "vacation package" and is eligible for the 6 months same as cash. It's a fun way to spread out those extra fun things that you want to do when you're cruising.
Suz D is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: