Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
skier_pete
DIS Veteran
 
skier_pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 5,811

Monster's University Extended Preview: (Edit 2/11 - Plot synopsis + trailer!)

Link on Youtube is Here.

This is the first time I've really heard a plot synopsis of the film. It actually makes me a bit excited as it looks like it could be a fun story.


EDITED Feb 11th: Link that includes the new trailer added HERE.
__________________

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK

Last edited by skier_pete; 02-11-2013 at 11:01 AM.
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
pigletto
DIS Veteran
 
pigletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,331

Thank you for sharing! It looks awesome.
__________________
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,483

Smile ~Yay!!!

~I wasn't sure how Pixar would pull off the "University" aspect, but I love the plot! Monster's Inc. has a completely different vibe than Monster's U! I especially adore Boo (she's so cute), and the connection she shared with Sulley -- just from the small parts I gleaned from Monster's U, I don't expect to see Boo or this kind of heartfelt emotion. I totally agree that the plot for the sequel appears to be more "fun" & "comical." I can't wait to see it, as there is *nothing* at the cinema for families right now!!!
__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
skier_pete
DIS Veteran
 
skier_pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 5,811

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~I wasn't sure how Pixar would pull off the "University" aspect, but I love the plot! Monster's Inc. has a completely different vibe than Monster's U! I especially adore Boo (she's so cute), and the connection she shared with Sulley -- just from the small parts I gleaned from Monster's U, I don't expect to see Boo or this kind of heartfelt emotion. I totally agree that the plot for the sequel appears to be more "fun" & "comical." I can't wait to see it, as there is *nothing* at the cinema for families right now!!!
Yeah, I think Monster's Inc. is great and I was all for the idea of a sequel, but I was NOT looking forward to the prequel idea.

But I sort of love that they decided to go with a "Snobs vs Slobs" / "Animal House" / "Revenge of the Nerds" type-plot. To me, the key to a successful prequel is that since you are stuck with a story that you already know the ending of (in this case: Mike and Sully as friends and partners @ Monster's Inc.) what you need to do is get the story to that point in a way that is NOT what you would expect.

Everything I see about this movie seems unique to the first movie, expands the monster world with lots of new characters, and will hopefully be entertaining. As you point out, without Boo, they're still the heart and emotion piece that might be missing - it will be hard for them to tug our heartstrings with the fact Sully isn't going to be a scarer when we KNOW that he in fact is - so I don't expect it to be as good as the original, but it still could be a good time.

As you say, there doesn't seem to be a lot of decent family fare this year - though our family will also be looking forward to Despicable Me 2 - though so far the ads for that give me little hope. The original movie was funny partly because of the minions, but was great because of the "family" that formed with Gru and the orphans. The trailers so-far are all-minion, and while funny and appeal to my daughter, don't really appeal to me.

SP
__________________

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves
 
Pumbaa7287's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 602

Archie the Scare-Pig should already be nominated for a best supporting actor oscar, and if he's not, it will be a crime against monstrosity.

Looks great!
__________________
(Me) (Pudge)

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
pigletto
DIS Veteran
 
pigletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa7287 View Post
Archie the Scare-Pig should already be nominated for a best supporting actor oscar, and if he's not, it will be a crime against monstrosity.

Looks great!
I laughed out loud when Archie the Scare-Pig appeared on the screen. He's awesome
__________________
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,483

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Yeah, I think Monster's Inc. is great and I was all for the idea of a sequel, but I was NOT looking forward to the prequel idea.

But I sort of love that they decided to go with a "Snobs vs Slobs" / "Animal House" / "Revenge of the Nerds" type-plot. To me, the key to a successful prequel is that since you are stuck with a story that you already know the ending of (in this case: Mike and Sully as friends and partners @ Monster's Inc.) what you need to do is get the story to that point in a way that is NOT what you would expect.

Everything I see about this movie seems unique to the first movie, expands the monster world with lots of new characters, and will hopefully be entertaining. As you point out, without Boo, they're still the heart and emotion piece that might be missing - it will be hard for them to tug our heartstrings with the fact Sully isn't going to be a scarer when we KNOW that he in fact is - so I don't expect it to be as good as the original, but it still could be a good time.

As you say, there doesn't seem to be a lot of decent family fare this year - though our family will also be looking forward to Despicable Me 2 - though so far the ads for that give me little hope. The original movie was funny partly because of the minions, but was great because of the "family" that formed with Gru and the orphans. The trailers so-far are all-minion, and while funny and appeal to my daughter, don't really appeal to me.

SP
~Thanks for the update, I loved it! I don't think this will top the original, but it will still be a hit! I can't get into Despicable Me -- I caught bits & pieces of the film -- overall it looks like a great movie and the ophan sisters are just adorable. I don't know where the G movies are, but I am looking forward to seeing Land of Oz.
__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
skier_pete
DIS Veteran
 
skier_pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 5,811

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Thanks for the update, I loved it! I don't think this will top the original, but it will still be a hit! I can't get into Despicable Me -- I caught bits & pieces of the film -- overall it looks like a great movie and the ophan sisters are just adorable. I don't know where the G movies are, but I am looking forward to seeing Land of Oz.
I want to see that too..but my wife seems against it, so I don't know if I'll have to wait until its on video.

I was quite surprised how good Despicable Me was, and our DD got into watching that about a zillion times for a few months, and I never really got sick of it. Unusual for non-Disney animated fare, but it really is quite charming. I have very low hopes for the sequel though.
__________________

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I want to see that too..but my wife seems against it, so I don't know if I'll have to wait until its on video.

I was quite surprised how good Despicable Me was, and our DD got into watching that about a zillion times for a few months, and I never really got sick of it. Unusual for non-Disney animated fare, but it really is quite charming. I have very low hopes for the sequel though.
~I definitely understand Mrs. skier_pete's concerns. I have to give Disney credit, they have been quite diligent in cautioning viewers on how intense some of the scenes may be for the younger audience. I wish they would have done this with Brave! Anyway, I'm looking forward to the reviews, if I feel it's too intense, I will also wait.
__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.