Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #76
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
Isn't that the point of redesigning something?
Yes but this doesn't even look like Belle anymore It looks nothing like in the movie. Why mess with outfits that have been around for decades? I don't think Disney is going to sell more merchandise now that they've changed the outfits. They'll certainly sell LESS to people in our house. The new outfits are terrible and there has already been several things we would have purchased but won't because the Disney Princesses simply now look like a Barbie doll dressed as a Princess.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #77
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Yes but this doesn't even look like Belle anymore It looks nothing like in the movie. Why mess with outfits that have been around for decades? I don't think Disney is going to sell more merchandise now that they've changed the outfits. They'll certainly sell LESS to people in our house. The new outfits are terrible and there has already been several things we would have purchased but won't because the Disney Princesses simply now look like a Barbie doll dressed as a Princess.
TOTALLY agree with this! I hate the fact that they all look like barbie dolls! Plus, is it just me, or are they all starting to look very much the same? My sister and I are die hard princess fans - she is all about Cinderella and I am all about Aurora. She can't STAND the redesign either. We used to collect everything we could get our hands on for "our" movies and now the new looks just kind of ruined it for us I also agree with Belle. I loved how bright the old dress was!

monorailrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #78
TwilightGoddess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat View Post
They need a princess of Asian decent. (don't give me "mulan" she's not on par with Belle, Ariel, etc)

Way too many white/blonde princesses. I was thrilled with Princess and Frog and I was greatly disappointed when they came out with Tangled. Another white blonde woman? Seriously? I thought Princess & Frog indicated a new direction.
As it's been pointed out Tangled was based on a story from the 1800's locked in a tower with golden hair, Mulan is Asian, why is she not on par with the rest? Because she's not in fancy frilly dress ?I think they did a great job with Mulan. Disney has done a good job at trying to be diverse. Pocahantas (my personal favourite) representing Native American culture, Jasmine is Arabic, Tiana is African American.

The rest of the princesses were based on popular fairytales. You can't exactly give Snow White darker skin now can you?

Mom to a 6 yr old Swash Buckling Pirate

Past Trips:
Disney World 2000
Disney World and Fantasy Cruise Eastern Caribbean 2013
Disney World and Fantasy Cruise Western Caribbean 2014
TwilightGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #79
TwilightGoddess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoHo View Post
My wife and I like to play the bad actress game wherein we look to find the most miscast princess in the park. The pictures of the new belle certainly would win that game. She should be Jasmine.

Jasmine and Ariel are the most likely to be miscast in Disneyland. (although a couple years ago, DL had an honest to goodness Persian as Jasmine, she was perfect.) Aurora is almost always spot on, because it's SoCal and Aurora looks like a SoCal blond.
We had a good "Jasmine" at Epcot this year. My beef is the cast members picked to be Belle, they never do her justice, the look IMO is all wrong that they go for. Someone mentioned Aurora needs an update! Hell ya! She just seems off, out of place. Can't put my finger on it, but she's another one I find that they can't cast properly. Tinkerbelle has been awesome, and her sister periwinkle. Perfect picks so far! Cindy and Snow are hit and miss. I've been happy with the Ariels as well.

I like the softer colour of Belle's dress, less like a banana lol

Mom to a 6 yr old Swash Buckling Pirate

Past Trips:
Disney World 2000
Disney World and Fantasy Cruise Eastern Caribbean 2013
Disney World and Fantasy Cruise Western Caribbean 2014
TwilightGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #80
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightGoddess View Post
We had a good "Jasmine" at Epcot this year. My beef is the cast members picked to be Belle, they never do her justice, the look IMO is all wrong that they go for. Someone mentioned Aurora needs an update! Hell ya! She just seems off, out of place. Can't put my finger on it, but she's another one I find that they can't cast properly. Tinkerbelle has been awesome, and her sister periwinkle. Perfect picks so far! Cindy and Snow are hit and miss. I've been happy with the Ariels as well.

I like the softer colour of Belle's dress, less like a banana lol

I do have to say last year when we were at WDW we met the BEST Belle! She spent about 20 minutes talking to us and asking if we had suggestions on how to better eat off dancing plates with singing silverware - HILARIOUS! But usually Belle is kind of off. Aurora is my favorite and I agree there is always something a bit off. Also, my husband always remarks that all the other princess dresses seem real and believable and hers always just looks like a costume.

Last edited by monorailrabbit; 02-15-2013 at 10:04 PM.
monorailrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #81
brownierose
Mouseketeer

Do they still have belle in her blue dress?? I've always liked belle in her provincial life dress than ball gown. How will this revamp affect the show at hs??
brownierose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #82
angelmichelle
Mouseketeer

More pictures...

angelmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #83
jfahome
DIS Veteran

Haven't read all the posts above but here's my 2cents.

OK, so when I first saw pictures the other day, i wasn't very happy with the changes. I was quite upset about it actually. BUT, I have since then seen new pics (different than the ones above), from disneyland actually. Anyways, I've seen this you tube video just posted with the debut of her new dress in the Enchanted Story time. Now I really like it. It looks very nice to me!

http://youtu.be/V7W42Fej9FY
Debut of Belle's New Dress at Enchanted Tales with Belle in Magic Kingdom is the title.

1st DCL - May 2009, 7 night Magic Western
2nd DCL - Jan 30,2010 7 night Magic Eastern
3rd DCL - Sept 8, 2011 - 3 night Disney Dream
4th DCL - May 5, 2012 - 7 night Eastern Disney Fantasy
5th DCL - Aug 11, 2012 - 7 night Eastern Disney Fantasy
6th DCL - Apr 20, 2013 - 7 night Eastern Disney Fantasy
7th DCL - Jan 10, 2014 - 3 night Bahamas Disney Magic
8th DCL - May 15, 2015 - 15 night Eastbound Transatlantic Disney Magic
jfahome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #84
foodrocksluver
It's been you all along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post

Agreed. But after seeing the more recent pictures I don't think she looks AS BAD as I thought she did in the original post we saw.

I'm still not understanding the need to do this. Was Disney not selling as much Princess merch and they felt that redesigning the girls would help bring sales up? I don't it. Why try to fix something that's not broke?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #85
fivebyfive
Mouseketeer

"Change...change is good".

They are modernizing the princesses, just as they have with other characters in the past. I see nothing wrong with it.
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #86
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
"Change...change is good".

They are modernizing the princesses, just as they have with other characters in the past. I see nothing wrong with it.
I don't see the meet to modernize the princesses so that they look like Barbie They're completely changing them so that they no longer look like they do in their movies.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #87
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83

I don't see the meet to modernize the princesses so that they look like Barbie They're completely changing them so that they no longer look like they do in their movies.
They are changing them from how they were originally drawn, but they are still recognizable.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #88
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
They are changing them from how they were originally drawn, but they are still recognizable.
I don't feel that Belle is, Cinderella looks like she's had cosmetic surgery, Ariel is far more heavily shaded in the new versions.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #89
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83

I don't feel that Belle is, Cinderella looks like she's had cosmetic surgery, Ariel is far more heavily shaded in the new versions.
I can't speak for everyone. I can only contribute that my three year old daughter had no problem identifying her as Belle.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #90
fivebyfive
Mouseketeer

Oh definitely modernizing. Every little girl I know is bling obsessed!
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: