Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Just to play devil's advocate, the entire crux of Lutz' piece is that Fantasyland isn't producing the numbers Disney anticipated.

But according to the financial results just released, WDW guest spending is up and park attendance increased by some unspecified amount. They also said bookings for the coming quarter are up compared to 2012 and average room rates are up "high single-digits" percents according to the Sentinel.

Be Our Guest has been booked solid since opening so Disney is maxing out revenues there. And the Snow White coaster is still a year away from opening.

Fantasyland was a big "meh" to me when I visited--mostly because I've been on the Little Mermaid dark ride 20+ times at DCA and our kids are too old for most of the other additions. But it was clearly popular among other guests.

Fantasyland was never going to be a hit on a Cars Land scale. (Whether Disney execs acknowledge that is another story entirely.) In Cars Land, we're talking about a park (DCA) that was only drawing 6 million guests per year located 300' away from a park that consistently draws 16 mil.

It's all about growth potential. Disney had an audience ready and waiting for DCA. All they had to do was convince them to walk across the plaza. Before Harry Potter, IOA was only drawing about 4 million per year. HUGE potential for growth. Cars Land would never have the same impact at DHS which already draws nearly 10 million per year.

Not saying that Lutz is wrong, of course. My fear for months has been that Disney would try to clone Cars Land. Many would love it...but Disney prying any more money out of my wallet with carbon copies. Been there...done that.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

If only to prove how quickly things can change in the Disney empire, WDI execs returned from their Christmas break to quickly huddle and then directed their teams to figure out how to clone as much of Cars Land as possible so that it could open at Disneys Hollywood Studios park as quickly as possible, aiming for a late 2015 debut (nearly three years to the day after New Fantasyland officially opened). TDO execs were also told to stop value-engineering the project into a smaller footprint with fewer offerings and let WDI do their work.

I don't know...obviously i've made my views known on this...so i don't want to beat it...

But the tenor and language of this "substantiated, legitimate rumor" is just all wrong to me. I had to read it 4 times to make sure i wasn't reading too much into it...

"TDO execs were also told to stop value-engineering the project into a smaller footprint with fewer offerings and let WDI do their work"

that sentence in particular...
honestly, there are so many things about that sentence that are just way off to me...it seems like something that a jungle cruise skipper...or someone who flunked out of disney bus academy would say...

Throw the money out the window for a park that isn't struggling? stock price and dividend don't matter anymore huh? All recent renovations at WDW have been quoted at higher amounts up front and then whittled down to a lower figure in the end - so that practice has been reversed 180?

It just isn't right...semantically or in substance.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #18
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidermatt View Post
I also wouldn't buy into the excuse for not including Luigi's Tires. Of the 3 attractions in CL, that's the one that has been the shakiest. They've tried a few things to spice it up, but according to Lutz, it remains an issue. Though he has said they are very committed to it in Anaheim, it wouldn't be a surprise if Orlando left it out, and not because of soil differences.

Cars Land is really a mini land in the first place, and if you cut out Luigi you have just 2 attractions. Granted, Radiator Racers is very popular, but WDW does already have Test Track, so it wouldn't be as unique for them as it was for DLR. Mater's is fine, and seems to be pretty popular, but it's a filler type attraction and not a huge draw unto itself.
Agreed on the Luigi's excuse. Just admit it's the weakest link to Cars Land and move on. I would think they would add a 3rd attraction in its place. DHS doesn't have a Dumbo-style ride. You could have one in Cars Land where each car is a different character, or maybe a whole bunch of Falcon Hawks/Mater Hawks/Lightning McQueen Hawks, etc.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
GoofyHusband
Earning My Ears

I get the appeal that the New Fantasyland is something new and fresh but it just doesn't offer that much.
As far as copying Cars Land, that's not something new either. I mean, it's new for WDW but not new for Disney.

To me, Disney succeeds and generate exciting buzz when they are pushing the envelope. That's when they are at their best. I would love to see a Star Wars land. There is room at HS. And the possibilities are numerous.

As a want to be Imagineer, I think I will go home and start working on the plans myself.
GoofyHusband is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: