facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Time is flying - why is it that on weekends time passes much quicker than during the week? So, before Saturday is half over, here is the next

Question of the Day:

Are you a slow eater or a fast eater? Are you aware of how fast you eat and does the "speed of eating" have something to do with your portion sizes?
I asked this question as it is one of my major problems: I am a very fast eater and usually am the first to finish my plate - unless my father is around, I seem to have gotten it from him. I am working hard on slowing down as I know that it helps me to eat smaller portions - or as many of you said, prevents me from getting seconds. I have developed the strategy of putting my cutlery down after each bite and only take it up again after I have finished that bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
That's a great NSV!! I hate getting my haircut, I'm glad I wear glasses because I can't see my face when she's cutting my hair.

I am a fast eater but I'm trying to learn to slow down. Speed eating for me has more to do with second servings vs portion size on one plate. I still think I'm hungry when those brain receptors just haven't kicked in yet.
Thanks!! And now I also figured out what NSV means!

The thing with the brain receptors is really it. Since I am a fast eater I can go from hungry to feeling like I ate too much in seconds as it just takes some time to register that I got some food...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskem96 View Post
Doing the couch to 5k workout 3 times a week is what's helping the scale move for me, so I will do my best to keep it up this week! The other thing I need to do is make sure I check in here every day to stay motivated!
Well done on keeping up with the C25K programm! I think it sounds like a fantastic programm and I would have loved to have something like that to help we when I started running.

And I can only encourage everyone to check in here regularly! I used to mainly lurk on previous threads and I find that getting more active here really helps me to stay focused on my weight loss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskem96 View Post
I am a very slow eater. That probably helps with my portion sizes because I'm always the last one done so I'm less likely to go back for seconds. I just have to be careful how much I put on my plate in the first place! I've been thinking about getting a set of those WW serving spoons that have a measurement on them so you know you're taking the correct portion size.

I'm not doing the WW plan anymore. I never could get into it after the changed to points plus. I'm just journaling on MFP and wearing my fitbit everyday. DH got me the Aria scale for Christmas, so that takes the place of my WW weigh in book. It automatically uploads my weight to my fitbit account so I can look back and see how much I've lost each week. The whole family is using it now, and I think the competition is helping keep us all motivated!
I think correct measurement of portions is a huge help. We discussed food scales on here recently and I think everyone who got one really if a fan of using it.

It's wonderful how a simple thing like a new scale with a gadget feature can help you all to stay motivated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikamah View Post
A little competition is always helpful. I am doing a wt loss challenge with my sister and some of her friends, and I'm beating her. She's always been the skinny sister, so that makes me feel good.

That's a great non scale victory, Magdalene. It is so motivating to be able to see some changes of your hard work.

I am definitely a fast eater, and try to slow down when i think of it. Eating healthier, big salads and stuff is easier to eat more slowly. I do think if I'm done before others, I'm more likely to have seconds.

I earned me some activity points shovelling today for sure. My forearms are very achey, as is the rest of my body. It really is a great core exercise. We got 2 feet here, and did the shovelling in a couple trips out. I still need to finish the last clean up of the walkways since the snow is finally stopped, but am going to wait til after dinner when I take the dog for her last walk of the day.

Enjoy the rest of your weekends!!
I totally get how great it is to beat the skinnier sister! It's the same with my sister who always was the skinnier one of us.

Eating salads is a good way to slow down as they usually require quite a lot of chewing work. That's why I like eating raw carrots as an appetizer. It takes time eating them and by the time I start eating my main meal I not only already got a serving of vegetables, but my stomach is already signalling that food has arrived to the brain!

I am impressed with your shovelling workout!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki23 View Post
I have to journal, journal, journal. The exercise is no problem - I worked out 3 hours today at some fun classes - food is my issue. I'm a thoughtless eater.

I think I fall somewhere right in the middle. What I need to remember to always do is to drink a full glass of water 10 minutes before I eat. If I stick to 5 small meals a day and take a multivitamin, it really helps control my appetite and my willpower.
Yes, journaling is definitely one of the secrets to weight loss. It is so easy, but I sometimes struggle with it as well. However, then I tell myself if I stay focused now that time of reduced calories will be over sooner than if I don't concentrate and eat without thinking

That's a great tip with the glass of water before the meal!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: