Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

And the next rumor is....

General Resort News - (2/5/13) Rumor has it that Walt Disney World is planning on holding some kind major press release event in late April. Could this be for a new series of attractions and shows in the parks? Or will this just be a pre-summer announcement and reminder about the MyMagic+ system? Stay tuned!

Source: Screamscape

More rumors.....
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves

My guess would be that it's either related to the new AvatarLand, an announcement about CarsLand coming to DHS, or maybe (my prayer) that they are finally doing something in PI.

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

We have been repeatedly disappointed by press events recently, so I am skeptical this this is going to be anything major, if it's even true. My guess would be more information about NextGen. I think if they are going to do major attraction news it will happen at D23.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa7287 View Post
My guess would be that it's either related to the new AvatarLand, an announcement about CarsLand coming to DHS, or maybe (my prayer) that they are finally doing something in PI.

All those would be good, but my guess will be that it is about the plans for the next DVC.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves

A guy can dream, can't he?

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
A guy can dream, can't he?

My heart is with you - I'm rooting for an announcement about DTD. My head, however...not so much.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
We have been repeatedly disappointed by press events recently, so I am skeptical this this is going to be anything major, if it's even true. My guess would be more information about NextGen. I think if they are going to do major attraction news it will happen at D23.
This. Disneys recent announcements (other than the vaporware avatarland and Hyperian Warf) have tended to be stuff most fans already knew about. So I'm guessing this will be the big official announcement of MyMagic+. Maybe some other mentions of where one of the cruise ships will be going this year as well - which is probably already well booked up lol.

Generally, I can almost guarantee it will be stuff Disney want the media to be talking about, rather than stuff fans will want to be talking about.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

I will takes bets that it WON'T be about a major construction project at WDW...with the following exceptions:

Avatarland (still think the probability is low...my money is the can on that one)

DVC construction (probably not quite yet...still have animal kingdom and the GF blocks to sell...though they will never be caught flat footed without something to sell...the next block will probably be a "less desirable locale"...maybe the ft wilderness project...to be followed by the "beat them with a stick" polynesian block)

If I were sitting on billions of operating capital and had recently purchased a legendary franchise that i were rushing to reboot within...ohh...say 3 years...
And i had parks that i could use said franchise in...

I might be inclined to throw all my creative muscle into rolling out one or more major projects to use this new bargained priced IP...and roll it out to coincide with my new 300 million dollar budget movie (may be more...but that's a ballpark guess)...

I just might...but i don't trust TWDC's commitment to Florida or their desire to sink more capital into their parks right now. And that is said because that was what the old Disney (even the first part of the Reign of Michael the Terrible) could be counted on for...
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile

~I'm hoping for something exciting, but it's probably just an announcement about the changes in leadership, Grand Floridian DVC, or maybe the Four Seasons. I know better than to get my hopes up, nothing can beat the excitement of Limited Time Magic!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am also thinking something around these lines.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
OceanStateKelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
was in AK last week having an early lunch in dinoland and a cast member that worked there said that they where going to start work or in the works Avatar land in AK and he said they want to have something that they can keep the park open late. I thought this would be interesting but I was not a big fan of that movie..

OceanStateKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
RD-SOX
Mouseketeer

waiting for news is so exciting....
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

My guess is this will be nothing much for the fans to get that excited about. I don't see any huge announcements in terms of new attractions coming just yet. As PP's have said, that's more likely to come at the D23 Expo.

Most likely to be some more information about MyMagic+. I think Disney have some surprises up their sleeves with this. Spring has been hinted at as the roll out and I think we'll see some "surprises" disclosed at the time they launch it. They need to have something in their arsenal to "sell" it to people.

With the Fantasyland Expansion still on-going, Avatar announced but in limbo, I'm thinking any big changes to the parks will be next year at the earliest. Personally, I think there will be some big changes at DHS and AK over the next few years.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance View Post
My guess is this will be nothing much for the fans to get that excited about. I don't see any huge announcements in terms of new attractions coming just yet. As PP's have said, that's more likely to come at the D23 Expo.

Most likely to be some more information about MyMagic+. I think Disney have some surprises up their sleeves with this. Spring has been hinted at as the roll out and I think we'll see some "surprises" disclosed at the time they launch it. They need to have something in their arsenal to "sell" it to people.

With the Fantasyland Expansion still on-going, Avatar announced but in limbo, I'm thinking any big changes to the parks will be next year at the earliest. Personally, I think there will be some big changes at DHS and AK over the next few years.
I agree...
though i define "next few years" as 10-15
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyworld1977 View Post
General Resort News - (2/5/13) Rumor has it that Walt Disney World is planning on holding some kind major press release event in late April. Could this be for a new series of attractions and shows in the parks? Or will this just be a pre-summer announcement and reminder about the MyMagic+ system? Stay tuned!

Source: Screamscape

More rumors.....
Let's assume for a minute that there really will be "some kind major press release event in late April" from the Disney Parks & Resorts business sector (although a rumor at Screamscape is not a guarantee that it's true).

The purpose of big media events is to reach the general public through free publicity in the print, broadcast, and digital media. Disney only holds such events to promote newly opened (or soon-to-open) enhancements to the parks and whatever this latest marketing message is. For example, there were big media events to promote the Year of a Million Dreams, "Give a Day, Get a Disney Day," the opening of Cars Land at DCA, and the opening of the New Fantasyland at MK.

Disney does NOT use big media events to announce future projects that won't be open to the public for several years. (The only thing that even comes close is when Disney can use a D23 Expo to share the news with super-duper Disney fans.)

For future projects, Disney simply issues press releases -- sometimes including image files, and sometimes accompanied by a live briefing (but not a big media event). Hyperion Wharf, the AVATAR deal with Cameron, and even the $1.1 billion redo of DCA did not involve big media events. As a publicly-held corporation, Disney has an obligation to disclose major capital commitments. However, there's no reason to SELL such commitments to the public until the time is right.

Why would the Disney Company want to wine and dine the news media to announce such news? Not only are media events very expensive, but the last thing that Disney wants to do is to encourage potential guests to postpone Disney vacations for several years.

Last edited by Horace Horsecollar; 02-07-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Horace Horsecollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: