DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #91
xmas16
Mouseketeer

Wow.....it's been a few years. I never got the DVC but wondered if people's opinions have stayed the same or changed.
xmas16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #92
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas16 View Post
Wow.....it's been a few years. I never got the DVC but wondered if people's opinions have stayed the same or changed.
Welcome back, OP!

I hadn't responded earlier (2009) in this thread but have responded to several others of similar question. My opinions haven't changed ... I'd still do things the same way I had done them if the environment was unchanged:

* Small contracts vs one large contract
* Know/Understand UY; plan/purchase accordingly

The biggest variable for me now vs then (2004 purchase) are the new resorts in CA and HI. It is possible that I would have selected one of these as my home instead of WDW ... but that wasn't an option for me then.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #93
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Break the points into smaller contracts is really the best advice. In short term cost more, closing cost etc. But in the big picture amounts to little. Consider how many children you have or want to help decide how many contracts if you plan to pass them on. We went big 320 at one resort first time and now the 11 month is only available there. Could have doubled or tripled our 11 month options.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #94
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

We bought 200 OKW points via resale in 2006 and then 75 HH points via resale in 2011 and are adding on 100 AKV points via resale right now (in ROFR). DH chose OKW because it was the cheapest WDW resort in 2006...SSR was still being sold new by Disney and were about $90pp (after incentives) and climbing. We paid something like $73 pp. DH prefers more points for our money over buying at the home resort we like (we have since realized we like BWV and BCV...have not tried AKV or BLT yet). When we added on the 75 HH points (to be able to alternate WDW trips with beach trips to save on park passes and airfare) we planned to add onto the HH points down the line. In my mind, I wanted 300 points since we have 3 kids to give them to when they have their own families (and 300 would be divided nicely). We now will have 375. And I wish we had 3 small contracts...so if it were all up to me I'd have 100 points at BWV, 100 at HH and 100 at AKV. If we sold our 200 OKW and bought 100 BWV and 25 HH...it would cost us money (or be break even) and we'd have 75 less points, so I guess we'll stick with what we have (maybe we'll still add onto our HH points). I'd also try to get same UY...we have June with the OKW and Aug with the HH and AKV. It works fine, but just for ease of making a resie and not having it linked, same UY would be nice.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #95
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

I didn't add then.

But I am very happy with my 160 ssr resale..

No regrets. 1 small contract, not to many not to few. I randomally picked a good UY for us. but had I have known, I would have done more research on this.. when I bought I really didn't understand it.

I currently transfer in annually points of other members, but I switch how many and I don't think I will for 2013, so having that flexibility is the reason I haven't bought more yet. If I did buy more points.. I would buy a different resort, (to have 2) and have a second UY. to have a 2nd transfer once a yr, and for Holiday Spring break travel.

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: