Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #91
disneydania
Disney-obsessed & Proud of It

Alison, you are just too adorable for words. Your lovely wedding ideas are true reflections of your personality no doubt. Yours and Katie's story is a true inspiration and an example of the power of love. I will be following your PJ eagerly! Our VR is just a few days before your wedding! GAH

Oh and P.S., don't be surprised if I "borrow" a few of your ideas

Family Trips: 04/04 Disneymoon POR, 01/05 Disney BabyMoon BWR, 12/06 Baby's 1st DIS Trip WL, 06/11 Boys' Joint B-day Trip CR, 01/13 Family Holiday Trip BCR

My single days: 1st WDW trip '83, WDW '85, WDW '86, DL '88, WDW '94, WDW '96, WDW '97, WDW '98, WDW '99, DLP '00, WDW '00, WDW '01, WDW '02, WDW '03

disneydania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #92
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydania View Post
Alison, you are just too adorable for words. Your lovely wedding ideas are true reflections of your personality no doubt. Yours and Katie's story is a true inspiration and an example of the power of love. I will be following your PJ eagerly! Our VR is just a few days before your wedding! GAH

Oh and P.S., don't be surprised if I "borrow" a few of your ideas
That's what I love about these boards, everyone is so helpful. I definately "borrowed" a few ideas from former brides before our wedding.

Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #93
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

I love all your updates! Your wedding is going to be so magical!

Also, are you saying you can get French macarons in Disney??? Those are my absolute favourite and I'd love to have them at our dessert party or reception.
2013 WDW Wedding: BWV & GF | 2013 DCL: Fantasy 7-Night | 2013 ABD: BSM | 2015 DL: D23 Expo
LittleKittyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #94
pkdang
Earning My Ears

Just joining in! You absolutely have amazing ideas! I totally love the unity glass you are thinking of getting. So unique!

I also loved how you are thinking of having a live painter of some sort to paint during the ceremony! Did you have hear anything back about that?

Can't wait to hear more that you got lined up!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #95
ccbride412
Mouseketeer

I was thinking about your First Look pictures at MK and maybe you could do it near the moat. I've seen on another bride's photos where the photographer took them down to the "moat" (on the left of the castle as you look at it) and did pics with the full castle in the background. If I remember correctly, you can see part of the drawbridge into the castle in the background. Maybe Katie could be down on the lawn and you can come onto the bridge from the castle? I'm not sure exactly how that might work (or if you would be too far away in the picture to be seen), but you can try out ideas like that. Or maybe the same placement for you, but with Katie in the rose garden (near the photopass spot looking toward the castle)... Just some thoughts if your Main Street idea isn't able to work.

I love the Italy change! It sounds like you are so excited!!

WDW countless times with family and friends since I grew up down the road. With my fiance!-WDW May 21, 2010, DL Paris Jan 1, 2011 (just before he proposed) and our wedding/honeymoon Castaway Cay and WDW and DL April 3, 2012!! Probably DL Asia for our 5 year anniversary!

ccbride412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #96
Summer Daydream
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKittyMarie View Post
I love all your updates! Your wedding is going to be so magical!

Also, are you saying you can get French macarons in Disney??? Those are my absolute favourite and I'd love to have them at our dessert party or reception.
I just saw this comment. There is a shop in NY that makes amazing French macaroons (including one called Wedding Cake!) and they ship anywhere. If you guys find Disney to be too expensive for these, I can always send you both the link to this place and you can see if its cheaper for you.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #97
purplegirl1818
Planning my DFTW!

Just read your PJ. Our dates are only a couple days different!

Love everything you have so far - and just followed your boards on Pinterest!

purplegirl1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #98
Deesknee
When we were kids (long time ago) they did this with cows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alifay View Post
Okay okay okay! I know, it has been forever and I am terrible at updating. The thing is … nothing happened, then A LOT happened and then it took a while to get life back in order to have time to sit down and write this.

So here I am NOW … YAY! I am looking for a better way to embed photos in here – can anyone help with this? For now I am going to direct link … but I think page owners don’t generally like that. Any advice on this will be much appreciated.

OKAY SO.

Where to begin…

Let’s start with the little things.

We were talking Mimosas, and I was thinking mimosa bar – or bellini’s would also be quite nice! Such a cute setup here.

I just found this little detail idea – I very much like this, and I think I can talk Katie into it :D

Initials and wedding date embroidered in … what looks to be the inside of the suit jacket pocket. Too cute.

I had a lot of trouble contacting the lady who had the lace bolero I posted earlier. I’m a little upset, actually. I wrote her a message through Etsy asking for a swatch of the fabric in ivory to make sure it matched my dress. She wrote back to tell me that she does not send swatch. I wrote again and said I understand, lace is expensive, and requested to purchase a swatch. I heard nothing back for weeks (I was still in the decision process). Then I emailed her again, to tell her I was still waiting for a response, and began actively looking elsewhere. I am so, so glad I did. I still have never heard another word from the original seller. I contacted Maira Eaton about
this shrug (it matches my dress so much better!). I asked for a swatch, and she replied immediately and I received a swatch about a week later. It matched perfectly. I placed my order, and she followed up (a couple times because I was bad at responding) to get a couple measurements. I received the shrug and it is GORGEOUS … just like the photo. She even sent a little matching hair pin with it – so sweet. Unfortunately, it didn’t fit at all around the arms. After talking with my mom about it she suggested I send it back to be fixed. So I emailed Maira last night (Christmas Eve!) and apologetically told her that I needed to send the item back to be fixed, and I was sure to mention that she didn’t need to get back to me until well after the New Year. She e-mailed me back the very next day (Christmas Day!) to say SURE THING and make sure I had her address to send it back to. No questions, no fuss, just unexpectedly amazing service. I highly, highly recommend her for her outstanding communication and products that are exactly as pictured. She is WONDERFUL. I can’t say enough how much I have loved working with her.

Next let’s talk BRIDAL PARTY!!
Katie and I (mostly me) were unsure at first if we wanted to have a bridal party. I thought it might be easier and less chaotic and a nice money saving point to not have one at all. But then I thought of all the things a bridal party can and will do for the wedding as a whole and how important some people in my life are … and we decided YES. Let’s go for it. Katie choose a good friend (who is also occasionally her flight instructor) Stephanie to be her Best Man (Best Bro as Katie likes to say it, yes Stephanie is female … we have gender roles all over the place here ☺ ). She is also considering her friend since infancy, Dani (female, short for Danielle), to be in the wedding party as well. I think it’s an awesome idea, but Katie is wavering because Danielle is still living in the South. Even though Dani is supportive and has never had a problem, it is still a difficult topic to approach in that surrounding. I think in the end Katie will ask Dani and all will be well and super happy. I love Dani and would LOVE to have her in the wedding ☺.

I had a hard time picking my bridal party. I have one friend (Dayl, female) who has been a close friend since we met well over ten years ago. For the most part though, besides Dayl, I don’t have many friends who are still really IN my life on any regular basis. I actually had to sit down and chat with Katie to figure out who I wanted in my side of the bridal party, and we decided to keep it simple. I will ask Dayl and my great friend Justin to be my Bridesmaid and Bridesman.

Okay so THIS is the fun part. Katie and I are throwing a New Year’s Day tea party (what better way to kick off a new year than with friends and warm beverages and tiny sandwiches?!). Dayl is going to be in town (she is finishing her pharmacy phd in Washington) and I have told Justin that he MUST get the day off work to be at the tea. I ordered these items to POP the question to each of them:

Cufflinks in a light “vintage” blue for Justin and
for Dayl

There are going to be just a few close friends at the tea, and I am very, very excited to make a semi-public proposal! I will have to make sure to hand a camera off to someone to catch the moment !

On tooooo … CAKE!

Katie found this lovely cake (I can’t tell you how many times we have watched Tangled or how obsessed I am with that movie)

I like it, but it is very dark … and we are having a morning ceremony with a brunch reception. I especially am not fond of the silhouette cityscape. But the idea is sound! So I went on the hunt and found this (birthday) cake:

The colors here are muuuch nicer and closer to what would work for us. Maybe lean away from purple and focus more on pale shades of pink and blue and lanterns (not 3D, Katie thinks the lanterns in this photo look like Captain Crunch!) maybe in a soft rosey gold color. A completely different topper and no ocean scene on the bottom… maybe a different phrase… but … yes! There is a start of a good thought here. It is especially nice since I will be walking down the aisle to I See The Light (have you heard it played on strings? It is SO beautiful .. check it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q30sa7RO_Fk# ) – so the cake will match that. OH! But we are cutting the cake to the Disney Mania version of A Dream is Wish …so maybe something like that… Oooh possibilities.

Speaking of music – Katie decided she wanted to walk “in” (more casual than walking “down the aisle”) to Snow White’s Someday My Prince Will Come (it is very pretty played on the strings, also in the youtube link above). So that’s adorable and I am all for it.

Okay here come the big changes. Are you ready?

We met with Joe, our sales rep, earlier this month. This was on the table for our meeting, I was so excited to see our names on Disney stationary!

He took us into the Wedding Pavilion, which was very grand to walk into! Much more than what photos will tell you. The stained glass was my favorite part. Joe told us it was added to block views of construction and intended to be temporary, but it has been so popular they plan to keep it! I guess the photographers like it too since it filters the light to make it softer.

Then he offered to snap a quick photo in front of the archway. If you squint and reeeally believe it, you can see the castle in the background.

He took us to see Luau Beach, which was intended to be our backup location … but we were underwhelmed by it in person.

In our meeting with Joe, he showed us some lovely pictures of Magic Kingdom weddings, and I was so excited! I asked if the ceremony was typically a little longer in the Magic Kingdom, since it is such a grand setting at such a large price. He said no .. actually, it is usually pretty short … and then a few minutes to snap a few photos and then right back up main street so the park can open. Huh. Okay. That totally makes sense … … but let’s take this. Put it together with the stress of NO DATE BOOKED until 6 months out … and couple that with the $10grand price tag that looks more and more difficult every day … … …and the Magic Kingdom isn’t looking so appealing anymore. Hm.

I think during the meeting Katie and I were thinking the same thing, but weren’t ready to voice such doubts about something that meant so much to us. The next day we were walking through Epcot World Showcase and chatting … I told her I picked Luau Beach as our backup because originally she wanted a beach (toes in sand) wedding. But if I really had my choice, it would be somewhere in the World Showcase. Like Italy or France. (For those of you who don’t know, I am a little obsessed with the World Showcase and would easily spend several days of a Disney Trip there if Katie would let me! Also, Duffy is my favorite Disney Character and just happens to be the World Showcase mascot! LOVE!) Katie says … well… I am half Italian…

And then something amazing happens. I forgot to mention that Katie’s parents were also in Disney on this trip (it wasn’t a “together” trip, but a … we are coming to and lets hang out some trip). So. The Amazing thing. We mention this thought process to Katie’s parents (maaaybe Italy…?) and … her mom says WELL HECK! Lets go look at it!!!. Katie and literally almost fell over or stopped breathing or something because .. WHAT!? Did Katie’s Mom just ask to do something wedding related with us!?? OH HECK YEAH LETS GO LOOK NOW! Now before you change your mind… (we could hardly believe that she had .. I mean … it was so unexpected that she would want to even think about or mention but she wanted to go look at a venue choice with us?!!).

So we did. And it’s awesome. And perfect in a whole different way. And by the way, my dress will look awesome there. I was having trouble reconciling my ivory dress with the blue-white of Cinderella’s Castle … and the Italy Pavilion screams shades of ivory in a lovely way. And there is … a dias! Like .. a tiny stage! It is so grand! It could be so beautifully formal! And less than half the cost and we can book 12 months out and HELLO ITS IN EPCOT!!

So we are booking the Italy Pavilion for Thursday, May 1, 2014 .. and while we are at it we love the Italy location for the dessert party too (the smoke from Illuminations seems to always head towards the UK) … so yes. Oh and we still love the attic. So that’s the big change!! Italy Pavilion ceremony, The Attic for brunch reception, and the (smaller) Italy location for the Fireworks Dessert Party. SO. EXCITED.

On the topic of dessert parties … we know it is probably not an option, but the answer is always NO until you ask ☺. We are wondering how much it would cost to buy out all of the reservations for the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert party … and if we could even do that at all. Because that would be brilliant -- Magic Kingdom and Wishes dessert party? How unbelievably cool would that be? I really doubt they would let us … but we are going to see what they say when we ask !

Speaking of asking … we asked about having the Dapper Dans perform … and Joe looked into it … and it’s been done before !! So we got a ballpark price quote and confirmation that YES WE CAN BOOK THE DAPPER DANS!!!! This MUST happen.

Katie and I are now deciding between a few characters we love and want. Mickey and Minnie (classic and not to be overlooked). Duffy and Figment (our respective favorites and BOTH Epcot mascots! They will be in the wedding somewhere…), and Katie’s childhood favorites, Chip and Dale. There is time to decide, and to find out if they even still have the full size person Figment costume (though they are hinting they are bringing the Dream Finder back … and that would be stupendous).

So there are the big changes since we last talked!

AND ONE MORE!

I saved the best for last. Aren’t I nice?

Okay this one is really big. Really, really big.
I work at the airport, and last Thursday my Dad flew through and had a long layover. I was so happy to see him, I never get enough time with my Dad. He asked about our recent trip to Disney and I told him about the change in plans and how much money it would save … and then the amazing happened. In a nutshell … Dad is going to help pay for the wedding. I can’t explain how much it meant to me … to go from wondering if he would attend to the amazing gift of financial support. And at Christmas time. And … I was overwhelmed and I cried and I still can hardly believe it.

I am a very lucky girl indeed.
I was only looking for welcome bag ideas. But, I found so much more in your PTR. I have read it, (although I admit from end to beginning) and haven't commented until now.
So blessed a girl you are. I pray for you that all smooth sailing continues. I look forward to reading more.

Vow renewal trip report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46760210

Triplets + singleton = living happily ever after in Mass
Deesknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #99
Alifay
Emotes in shades of pink

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments and responses!!! I am so sorry to leave everything so long, but I think you will understand.

Early this year Katie was laid off. She lived on unemployment and I picked up shifts to help make ends meet. Things in Denver seemed to be consistently not-nice to her, so I told her to apply to jobs anywhere Southwest flies and we will move.

Long story short ... we are now living in Florida and Katie is working at Walt Disney World! She has an intern job now, but it is a foot in the door and she hopes to one day be a VIP Tour Guide! It is VERY exciting, but has effected our wedding plans significantly. Mostly, we moved. And we had to dig deep into our wedding savings to move. In addition, Katie is making a lot less than she used to, and we are both paying a lot more in gas to get to our respective work-places.

So overall that means we are now trying to keep things SUPER on budget, and probably as close to the minimums as we can get. I think my parents might pipe up and help out as things go ... we will see. I am hoping to get a lot of money back on taxes since I moved for work. Fingers crossed!!

ANYWAY! On to the HAPPY!

Today is FRIDAY and TUESDAY IS OUR PLANNING SESSION!!!

I wanted to get an update here before our planning session, to organize my thoughts and also to track how things change

So here is my current Wedding Day vision...

Wake up WAY too early. Undecided on if I will ask my maids to be up with me, probably not. Maybe just my Mom.

First look and Bridal portrait session in the Magic Kingdom

Over to Epcot Italy, pre-ceremony photos with bridal party etc.

Wedding ceremony in Epcot Italy

I want simple decor, ribbons on the back rows of chairs, and petals in a pattern down the aisle. If the petals are too much, we can scrap them all together and thats fine.

If we can afford it, I still really want a ceremony painter. But I am pretty sure that is the first thing to be sacrificed. Bridal portrait session and actual wedding photography are more important. Dangit.

We will have a harpist for music, and a friend to officiate.
Katie will enter to Someday My Prince Will Come
Katie's parents: Golden Afternoon
Bridal party : Once Upon a Dream
Myself with my parents: I See The Light

The ceremony will include a unity cocktail. A flute of prosecco and glasses of pomegranate and mango juice to be poured in, then we will each share a sip (this drink, our Ever After, will be served at the reception). The ceremony wording include representations of all that I am, all that I was, and all that I ever will be. The song for the ceremony will be Married Life from Up.

We will sign either a legal marriage license or a decretive personalized marriage contract during the ceremony. Maybe both.
We will personalize vows, the first part we will share the same vows, the second we will each have individual vows.

Our recessional will be Ever Ever After from Enchanted.
I recently learned about petal cannons and !!!! I want it!!!! I am certain we can't afford it though .. but ugh! Want!!! Does anyone have pictures? Never even heard of them until I filled out my floral checklist!

The portion between ceremony and reception is a little fuzzy to me. I am thinking we will have enough time to get through all the pictures we need before the ceremony so we might be able to go with our guests over to the reception and skip the pre-reception. I am very undecided about how to work transit from ceremony to reception as well. I'd love a boat .. cause I LOVE boats ... but that might cost too much. Ho hum. We'll see.

Reception at The Attic !
Our entry song is going to be Ever Ever After again, I think.
Our first dance is Can I Have This Dance from High School Musical 3.
Our brunch menu has not changed, signature drink from ceremony.
But the CAKE! CAKE HAS CHANGED AND I AM SO EXCITED!!!

Turns out Katie and I were both un-enamoured with the lanterns cake but just hadn't mentioned it. So that conversation went real easy. We came together on three separated tiers on three separate cake platters, in pink and blue buttercream (no fondant) and a simple wrap of lace around the base of each cake. Non-fondant is the next big thing in weddings, you heard it here first

Colors and style:

The look without fondant (no burlap or twine for us, and the tiers separated like above)

Cakes without fondant -- I LOVE the texure!

The largest tier will have our monogram on it (did I mention we have an AWESOME monogram?!):

On the cake instead of the crown on the monogram, we will have a crown cake topper:

Disney Mania's A Dream is a Wish for the cake cutting.

Still hoping to be able to afford the Dapper Dans for the reception!!!

AND! We weren't going to do favors, but I found this picture and it is SO cute and so appropriate and not much money at all:

And maybe these champagne flutes

Katie really wants rose folded napkins, and I want bows, so we are thinking of doing both.

----

Other things...
We have booked Regina Hyman for our photographer.
We are in the process of ordering our invites! Look how pretty!

We booked our honeymoon!!! 7 days on the Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean ! We leave two days after the wedding, ON KATIE'S BIRTHDAY! It'll be so great. I have never been on a cruise and Eeee!

I thiiiink that is most of the things that have changed ... I guess overall very little has changed since the last update (part of the reason for there being so long between updates). Mostly just trying to keep things as affordable as we can now while still staying within the dream. Doin good!

Oh yeah! Look at this adorable boutonniere !! It's so perfect!
Alifay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #100
DisHallowsBride
Earning My Ears

Reading over your board and everything looks amazing!
DisHallowsBride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #101
charliegirl76
Mouseketeer

Loving everything!! Have fun at your planning session!!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #102
elphie101
Left my heart in Tomorrowland

Hello! I'm loving your PJ so far! I'm also hoping to be an Italy bride next year (our one year mark is 3 weeks from tomorrow thanks to weekend/holiday this year) so I can't wait to see how your wedding turns out!

Congrats on the move and Katie's new job! What's her role? As a former CM (college program alumni) I always love hearing about people joining the mouse

DF Me
WDW: '91, '92, '94, '01, '06 (offsite)* 7/11 Pop* 8/11 AS Music* 9/11 AS Sports* 12/11 CBR* 6/12 Pop* (TR Here!) 11/12 AS Movies* 1/13 Pop* 9/13 Pop* 5/14 Pop* 10/14 BCV*
DL: '03 (day)* 4/13 Fairfield Inn Anaheim* DCL: 10/14 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean*

Star Command, over and out!*Hellllllooooooo Humans!*It's a great big BEAUTIFUL tomorrow!

Current TR: "That's not supposed to be HERE!" A Disneyland TR!***Our DFTW Planning Journal
elphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #103
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

I love all the updates! (Those are gorgeous invites!) Hope you had an amazing planning session!
2013 WDW Wedding: BWV & GF | 2013 DCL: Fantasy 7-Night | 2013 ABD: BSM | 2015 DL: D23 Expo
LittleKittyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #104
KCharming
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphie101 View Post
Hello! I'm loving your PJ so far! I'm also hoping to be an Italy bride next year (our one year mark is 3 weeks from tomorrow thanks to weekend/holiday this year) so I can't wait to see how your wedding turns out! Congrats on the move and Katie's new job! What's her role? As a former CM (college program alumni) I always love hearing about people joining the mouse
I am a Dispatcher at Port Orleans. I love it a lot and just applied and interviewed for a PI in GR.
KCharming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #105
elphie101
Left my heart in Tomorrowland

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCharming View Post
I am a Dispatcher at Port Orleans. I love it a lot and just applied and interviewed for a PI in GR.
Yay!! I have a friend doing the GR PI right now and he loves it. Pixie dust for you!

DF Me
WDW: '91, '92, '94, '01, '06 (offsite)* 7/11 Pop* 8/11 AS Music* 9/11 AS Sports* 12/11 CBR* 6/12 Pop* (TR Here!) 11/12 AS Movies* 1/13 Pop* 9/13 Pop* 5/14 Pop* 10/14 BCV*
DL: '03 (day)* 4/13 Fairfield Inn Anaheim* DCL: 10/14 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean*

Star Command, over and out!*Hellllllooooooo Humans!*It's a great big BEAUTIFUL tomorrow!

Current TR: "That's not supposed to be HERE!" A Disneyland TR!***Our DFTW Planning Journal
elphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: