DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I am someone who tries to negotiate everything when buying resales. The majority of my offers include sellers paying the closing cost and my not reimbursing maintenance fees. That being said, I think that the chance of getting the seller to pay the $195 "buyer's fee" is an extreme long shot.
It is, but every offer I made on a Fidelity contract, they asked me who I wanted to pay MF, Admin ($195), closing and Price Per Point. I offered to pay
all closing and admin, but I adjusted my PP down accordingly. Since they asked though (and they did every time) I take it to be as negotiable as everything else.

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #17
hollypoast
"Perfect is the enemy of the good.... simply starting plays a bigger role in your success than any other factor."

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffkin View Post
It is, but every offer I made on a Fidelity contract, they asked me who I wanted to pay MF, Admin ($195), closing and Price Per Point. I offered to pay
all closing and admin, but I adjusted my PP down accordingly. Since they asked though (and they did every time) I take it to be as negotiable as everything else.
Follow up question... What does the buyers fee cover? And if I were to sell without an agency would that deter possible buyers or would it be a win-win for both sides?
hollypoast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollypoast View Post
Follow up question... What does the buyers fee cover? And if I were to sell without an agency would that deter possible buyers or would it be a win-win for both sides?
The buyer's fee is an administrative fee charged to buyers for purchasing a contract. It's an additional fee, there is nothing extra provided. To me, it seems like a cash grab and I have let management at Fidelity know that this is how I feel.

As for selling without a broker, it can be done, but I'm not sure there is any real venue for matching buyers and sellers. So if you have someone you know who wants your contract, there are ways to do it. Otherwise, I feel that the services provided by the brokers are valuable, and they justify the 10% commission.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #19
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
eh, as a potential buyer, if the price goes too low, the contract might still get ROFRed...so there may or may not be that much room for a "win-win." i'd generally rather deal with a broker. just my opinion...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #20
hollypoast
"Perfect is the enemy of the good.... simply starting plays a bigger role in your success than any other factor."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
The buyer's fee is an administrative fee charged to buyers for purchasing a contract. It's an additional fee, there is nothing extra provided. To me, it seems like a cash grab and I have let management at Fidelity know that this is how I feel.

As for selling without a broker, it can be done, but I'm not sure there is any real venue for matching buyers and sellers. So if you have someone you know who wants your contract, there are ways to do it. Otherwise, I feel that the services provided by the brokers are valuable, and they justify the 10% commission.
Sorry, forgot to ask... Are the closing costs on top of all of these fees and if so who get them?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #21
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sorry, forgot to ask... Are the closing costs on top of all of these fees and if so who get them?
Yes and the buyer pays them, but they sometimes negotiate that the seller pays them. You can say no to that as a seller. We tried to get the seller to pay ours for the contract we are currently in ROFR on and they offered a little off the price per point instead.

Buyer also pays 2013 MF and if you have already paid them, you will get that money back. If you have no 2013 points than the buyer likely won't pay the 2013 MF and the broker will advise as such. MF can also be negotiated but it typically goes to buyer if all points are there and seller if not (sometimes buyer and seller will split them).

If you don't use a broker, you will still pay closing costs and will have to find a lawyer to do the closing. The only thing not using a broker saves you is the 10% commission.

Last edited by lovin'fl; 02-06-2013 at 07:55 AM.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #22
johnsbelt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yes, the closing fees are on top of the commission. Just think of it as selling your house. Go back and look at the HUD-1 (closing statement) for your last closing (buy or sell). It contains 2 columns on it, one for the buyer, and one for the seller. All of the fees, by law, are listed on this form. While the amount of the fees will be less (because the value of the sale is less), you can expect most of these fees to exist. The one area where you will not apply is in the concessions area (the seller paid for repairs that the buyer requested or the mortgage company requested).

To sell the contract yourself, the closing costs would still be negotiable. You might agree to a price per point a couple of dollars lower but still above the price that would trigger ROFR or since you are not paying the commission, you might agree to pay all of the closing costs. As far as ROFR, it is the bottom line that Disney probably focus' on, not the price per point.

Hope this helps and I haven't confused you too much.

John
johnsbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #23
hollypoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsbelt View Post
Yes, the closing fees are on top of the commission. Just think of it as selling your house. Go back and look at the HUD-1 (closing statement) for your last closing (buy or sell). It contains 2 columns on it, one for the buyer, and one for the seller. All of the fees, by law, are listed on this form. While the amount of the fees will be less (because the value of the sale is less), you can expect most of these fees to exist. The one area where you will not apply is in the concessions area (the seller paid for repairs that the buyer requested or the mortgage company requested).

To sell the contract yourself, the closing costs would still be negotiable. You might agree to a price per point a couple of dollars lower but still above the price that would trigger ROFR or since you are not paying the commission, you might agree to pay all of the closing costs. As far as ROFR, it is the bottom line that Disney probably focus' on, not the price per point.

Hope this helps and I haven't confused you too much.

John
No, this is perfect. Thank you! There sure are a lot of fees for such a small amount of money.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #24
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

I've sold two small contracts and used brokers to do it each time. Both times, I had offers within 24 hours. I was even selling with a delayed closing, and was able to get it done quickly. Plus, I didn't have to worry about anything other than signing and sending back the papers. Everything else was handled and for me, well worth the 10% I paid them.

For us, in both instances, I closed in August and covered the MF's for that year but the buyers paid the closing costs. So, my expenses were just the 10% commission and a small fee of like $70.

Good luck!!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #25
hollypoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
I've sold two small contracts and used brokers to do it each time. Both times, I had offers within 24 hours. I was even selling with a delayed closing, and was able to get it done quickly. Plus, I didn't have to worry about anything other than signing and sending back the papers. Everything else was handled and for me, well worth the 10% I paid them.

For us, in both instances, I closed in August and covered the MF's for that year but the buyers paid the closing costs. So, my expenses were just the 10% commission and a small fee of like $70.

Good luck!!
Did you get your asking price? Just curious
Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #26
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

How difficult would it be administratively to sell a contract outright?

I just sold my 12 year old car on facebook. It was rather easy to find a buyer.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #27
minniemoms
There's no place like Disney

We are going to have to sell our SSR.. And we have 3 smaller contracts for Grand Villas.. We are going to see one of them. I am hating hating doing this, but don't have a choice. So, I have only heard fidelity and Time Share store. There maybe others? I am sure my Grand Villa one will sell faster.. How hard is it is going to be to sell SSR? Any help on this, would be so appreciated..

minniemoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #28
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemoms View Post
We are going to have to sell our SSR.. And we have 3 smaller contracts for Grand Villas.. We are going to see one of them. I am hating hating doing this, but don't have a choice. So, I have only heard fidelity and Time Share store. There maybe others? I am sure my Grand Villa one will sell faster.. How hard is it is going to be to sell SSR? Any help on this, would be so appreciated..
Sorry you are having to sell.

SSR is very popular on the resale market, especially smaller contracts. Banked or available points make it even more attractive.

Best of luck.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #29
AllieV
DIS Veteran

I have read some threads where people are transferring a contract to an adult child, a divorced spouse, etc. Those people have used a closing agent. In some states, this is an attorney. In others, it is just a licensed real estate broker. They've paid a flat fee for the paperwork to be filed with the state and with Disney.

Do a search here on these boards for "transferring contract" or "selling to family member" in the title and see what pops up.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #30
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollypoast

Did you get your asking price? Just curious
For one yes, full price....for the other, it was $3.00 less per point but it was only a 50 point contract, so $150.. For the quick turnaround, I figured it wasn't worth holding out for that, especially since I was selling so I could turn around and buy the points for BLT from Disney...back when they were only charging $100 per point..

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: