Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Safari Queen
Now 14 miles from my happy place.

Why WDW vs US?

I don't understand why we have so many threads that compare WDW and UA/IOA, denigrating one and praising the other. It's okay to prefer one to the other without claiming that the one you don't care for sucks! We are WDW people who visit US/IOA only every few years because we don't do thrill rides. We enjoy both, but prefer WDW. We have no issue with those who would rather be at US/IOA. The fact that both exist is great, because it spreads the crowds. I'm really sick and tired of everything being a competition. Too much negative energy going out into the world!

VWL Feb 04, OKW Oct 04, SSR Oct 04, BWV Dec 04, OKW Feb 05, BCV Sep 05, BWV Oct 05, BWV Dec 05, OKW Feb 06, BWV Nov 06, BCV Jan 07, BWV & DCL Apr 07, BWV Jun 07, F&W @ BWV Oct 07, AKL & OKW Jan 08, F&W @ AKV Oct 08, BWV Jan 09, AKL Concierge Nov 09; BCV & BWV Jan 10; BWV Oct 10; BWV Jan 11; Coronado Sp/AKL - Feb 12; BWV F&W Oct 12; AKL Oct 13
NEXT: F&W, Oct 14
Safari Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
jgh
Peter Pan!

While I don't necessarily think US/IoA "sucks", it's definitely not on the top of my favorite list. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean that other people can't.

Naturally, there will be some people that prefer Disney, some that prefer Universal, some that could care less (they like both) and some that hate both.

Last edited by jgh; 02-01-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: because I can't spell worth crap
jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

Welcome to the internet.

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
ScrampShopper
Mouseketeer

I love WDW, and I am dying to go to Universal. I have not yet gone because I just can't justify it with a 34inch kid. I think it will be a lot more enjoyable when I can go on the rides with hubby and DD, instead of taking turns and having to experience all the thrill rides by myself. When we go, we will definitely stay at a Universal hotel for at least 3 nights, before or after a week long WDW trip. I am looking forward to enjoying both one day.
ScrampShopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albytaps View Post
Welcome to the internet.
Exactly. Everyone can blast or praise anything or everything just sitting at work, at a restaurant, in their mom's basement, etc.

Anyways, I love Disney Parks more than US/IoA. However, I enjoy them very much also. Just Disney does something a little different too me, I am a BIG kid there.
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013 *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS - 2013 *TOKYO DL* Offsite - 2014
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Queen View Post
I don't understand why we have so many threads that compare WDW and UA/IOA, denigrating one and praising the other. It's okay to prefer one to the other without claiming that the one you don't care for sucks! We are WDW people who visit US/IOA only every few years because we don't do thrill rides. We enjoy both, but prefer WDW. We have no issue with those who would rather be at US/IOA. The fact that both exist is great, because it spreads the crowds. I'm really sick and tired of everything being a competition. Too much negative energy going out into the world!
Quote:
Welcome to the internet.
That's funny

Actually I just went to US/IOA for the first time last year and loved it. Consequently I wont be taking sides any longer in the WDW vs US debates. I love them both and my options for fun have increased markedly. So, any competition between the two to expand is welcome by me because it all equates to fun fun fun!

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I don't like US/IoA. I think the company and the parks are significantly worse than WDW/Disney Co. But, I still visit on occasion and can appreciate the differences between the parks (especially love WWoHP).

At the end of the day, I compare the two and talk about my feelings on them because I'm 1. on an internet forum that's about Disney/US/IoA, 2. it's the internet, like a PP said.
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
No idea, but thanks for creating another one.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Welcome to the internet.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Queen
I find universal more interesting and more concerned about their fan base. They have a lot of buzz now because of their recent new attractions as well as ones to come (hp2, JP, Springfield, transformers)

That being said I will say I love both, I like the rides at universal and the shows/meet and greets at wdw. On a side note... Does Disney still have street characters?
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Welcome to the "human condition".

In life we (as in humanity) compare everything. Who makes more money, better house, cooler car, what friends you have. It is just a natural thing we all do.

My family enjoys Disney more as well, mostly because my children and wife and not ride people. We enjoy the theming and how great most of the employees are and how we are treated at Disney. With that said, the HP stuff at IOA is incredible and we will head over again when the expansion is complete. We don't compare because we see them as apples and oranges. One is geared toward long term vacations, the other seems more of a place to visit for a few days. We do enjoy spending a day or two at US/IOA occasionally. we also visit SeaWorld and enjoy that as well.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971

One is geared toward long term vacations, the other seems more of a place to visit for a few days. We do enjoy spending a day or two at US/IOA occasionally. we also visit SeaWorld and enjoy that as well.
Yes... Me and my fiancé view it like this... Disney is the main course but universal is always the appetizer. We usually do 10 day trips. The first two for the universal parks and the rest at Disney
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I love both..I have no problems discussing or debating both either, I think its interesting..
Old 02-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We enjoy both, but prefer WDW.
Take the compulsion you had to say that in a thread you created wondering why people compare the parks, add in a stronger opinion one way or the other, and there's your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrampShopper View Post
I love WDW, and I am dying to go to Universal. I have not yet gone because I just can't justify it with a 34inch kid. I think it will be a lot more enjoyable when I can go on the rides with hubby and DD, instead of taking turns and having to experience all the thrill rides by myself. When we go, we will definitely stay at a Universal hotel for at least 3 nights, before or after a week long WDW trip. I am looking forward to enjoying both one day.
34" would probably give me pause too, and we didn't have that issue since DS was already 6 by the first time we went to Orlando, BUT there still is a lot for a littler one to enjoy. Playgrounds that are really very fun. A ball play area with soft soft balls (seriously, I saw people get tagged in the face, kids even, and no one was injured or upset at all) and LOTS of fun to be had in there. And Universal's rider switch happens well *inside* the attraction instead of outside, so there is less time to be separated.

It's a long while between 34" and 54", so since YOU want to go, I would urge you to look at the things she *can* do and maybe see if those things are worth the cost of her admission. Heck, what they've done with face characters that live in Whoville, and how kids react to them, might be worth it!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #15
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

As an Orlando resident, I enjoy visiting both resorts but Disney just doesn't hold enough interest to keep going back. I let my AP expire a few years ago and haven't been back since...I really don't miss it. Universal tends to offer special events that are more suited for my tastes like the summer concert series, Mardi Gras and Halloween Horror Nights. I'll go back to WDW at some point but for now its not a priority.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: