Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #16
DinaBina
Earning My Ears

Excited for you guys can't wait to read more!!
Wifetograpger
Disneytographer
DinaBina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
pkdang
Earning My Ears

Just started reading your PJ. Totally love your proposal story! Can't wait to hear some more planning!
pkdang is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
Tink2182014
Earning My Ears

Congratulations! I love your thread. It is very helpful for me planning a similar day! Good luck
Tink2182014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
Tink2182014
Earning My Ears

Love your proposal story and ring pictures. Good luck planning!
Tink2182014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #20
asunnysideup
Mouseketeer

Okay, FOURTH attempt at writing this entry! Disboards keeps eating it, hopefully fourth time is the charm.

It's been a bit since I updated, but now there's a few things to update on! I'll just focus on the Disney Bridal Showcase for now. I live about 30 minutes away from Disney World, so going there was a no brainer. I took my Mom and my matron of honor/best friend Rachel along for a girl day. Now onto the day, with pictures! Pictures are from Mom's camera/my iPhone. Warning: It's picture heavy, but I figured since the showcase was a one time thing, it may be helpful to people to see some photos from it!

First up was the storybook entrance. Mom loved it and got our picture there. We checked in and got our welcome bags, which had some information and goodies in it.

My favorite mini-cakes. These were actually good to see, because I'll need to order 1 or 2 of them (depending on how many people they feed). One of my bridesmaids, Alyssa, is gluten intolerant and lactose intolerant; Rachel's husband Andrew (one of our groomsmen) has Celiac disease and is allergic to dairy, so both of them are gonna need a gluten/dairy free cake. A mini cake/cupcake is the perfect answer so we can have a regular cake, but still something nice for them.

Next up was looking at dresses...I noticed a HUGE mistake in the showcase and on Instagram/Twitter afterwards. They set up the ARIEL dress next to the Jasmine Sephora area, and even on Instagram mentioned it being the Jasmine dress. But it wasn't, it was Ariel's... That bugged me SO MUCH because someone didn't do their research haha!

The Ariel (NOT JASMINE) dress. Very pretty!

The Rapunzel dress...so, I was looking at the AA dresses and none of them really stood out to me (they're beautiful! Just not quite what _I_ was looking for) until I saw the Rapunzel dress. I had never taken a second look at it online, but in person it was BREATHTAKING. I'm definitely planning on trying it on when I go dress shopping, except it would need one huge alteration: I refuse to do strapless (nothing against strapless dresses, they're beautiful, but I've never wanted one for myself). If I try this on and it's 'the dress', I'd see if AA could add on sleeves like this:

But more off the shoulder/capped, since the dress starts off as strapless. But who knows, I may find something else I like better, or it may not be flattering on me at all! I just wish I could've tried it on there.

After looking at the dresses, we got in line for cake. Or to...look at cake...the line situation was very confusing.

Met up with the Mother of the Bride in line!

Doesn't go with our theme, but the Haunted Mansion cake was amazing!!

The bizarre gel cakes...only a thing layer of cake on bottom, and then gel. While some of the flavors (esp the strawberry basil) were good, it didn't give me any idea what Disney CAKE would taste like.

My favorite cake, the Retro cake! If we could get this in mint or blue and two tier...it may be a winner.

The table views. The only one I liked (which I saw get panned a lot, oops) was the 'rustic romance' one...it doesn't fit our theme (or budget, I'm sure) at all, but it was really pretty.

Next up was the food stands. I thought all the food was tasty. There were also some drinks. The strawberry...smoothie...shot things...were delicious! There were two drinks you could have for free, one alcoholic, one not. IMO, they both tasted like suntan lotion.

Honestly...I can't tell if this is creepy or cute. Maybe both.

Then we had David Tutera...I was one of the 'lucky' ones who got to ask a question. For anyone who listens to Carrie's AWESOME Disney Wedding Podcast, they've already heard this story...for everyone else: basically, we're having a dry wedding (we drink occasionally, but for a variety of reasons we're not having any alcohol at the wedding) and we've gotten some negative feedback on that from a few people. I asked what a graceful response was to people offended by our lack of alcohol (me snapping that they can go to the bars at Boardwalk during our reception/any Epcot country during our dessert party isn't the most gracious reply...) and instead of answering our question...he just got offended we weren't having alcohol.

Fail.

Rach and I intently listening to David's advice on all things weddings. He did have good points about the first look, Geoff and I are actually considering having one now.

The awesome Carrie - she came up to me after the talk and told me how awesome her dry wedding was, and really made me feel better after being embarrassed in front of everyone. I really appreciate it Carrie!

Cinderella's coach! I'd love to surprise my Mom with it (Cinderella is her favorite princess) but...the price...

And that's it! Overall it was fun, though some things (like the gel cakes and not being able to try on dresses) needed work, but I'm super glad we went. With having a longer engagement it helps keep the excitement up! Sorry for all the pictures, figured they may be helpful for you Disbrides that may not have been at the show. I'll update on more soon (like engagement photos!).

Our Planning Journal | Our Trip Report

Last edited by asunnysideup; 03-05-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo!
asunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
asunnysideup
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaBina View Post
Excited for you guys can't wait to read more!!
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkdang View Post
Just started reading your PJ. Totally love your proposal story! Can't wait to hear some more planning!
I love our proposal story too! He did a great job. Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink2182014 View Post
Love your proposal story and ring pictures. Good luck planning!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink2182014 View Post
Congratulations! I love your thread. It is very helpful for me planning a similar day! Good luck
Glad you're planning a similar day!! Same venues?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #22
Summer Daydream
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the recap! Those gel cake things look rather interesting. I would have had a dry wedding if I had it at home since a lot of the extended family are big drinkers and tend to get sloppy drunk. Not exactly a wedding memory.
The rustic romance is pretty, but I think when people think rustic, it's just not that color palate. At least, that's what threw me off of it. I think Cindy's coach is beautiful, but for the price you don't spend too much time in it. I nixed it after realizing I would only be in it for 15 mins tops.
Rapunzel is beautiful. It is the only Disney dress that I liked as well, as I found the other too poofy or just not me.
Can't wait to see how your plans continue to come along
Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #23
pkdang
Earning My Ears

Great pics of the bridal showcase! I was debating about going to it, but I felt like ah.. why waste money, but then when I see pictures of it.. I wished I would have gone =( oh well!

Cinderella's Coach is definitely expensive! My bridesmaids says that if I want the full impact that I should do it, but I always turn them down, because it definitely has a hefty price tag and besides I don't think it really fits me.. its too over the top, I think I'd feel uber uncomfortable in it. lol
Old 03-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
CinderALLIE
DIS Veteran

Great update.

Nothing wrong with having no lcohol at your wedding. It's your day and should be about what you and your partner want. You're already paying for your guests meals and non-alcoholic drinks, they don;t like it than maybe you will have a guest or 2 less. Weddings are about seeing a couple commit not about how much booze you can drink on their dime

18/10/09-9/9/09 - First trip to Disneyland with side trip to Walt Disney Family Museum *Backstage Magic Tour and Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel*

MY LIFE SUCKS!! No trips planned, hopefully late 2014 or sometime in 2015
CinderALLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #25
asunnysideup
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Daydream View Post
Thanks for the recap! Those gel cake things look rather interesting. I would have had a dry wedding if I had it at home since a lot of the extended family are big drinkers and tend to get sloppy drunk. Not exactly a wedding memory.
The rustic romance is pretty, but I think when people think rustic, it's just not that color palate. At least, that's what threw me off of it. I think Cindy's coach is beautiful, but for the price you don't spend too much time in it. I nixed it after realizing I would only be in it for 15 mins tops.
Rapunzel is beautiful. It is the only Disney dress that I liked as well, as I found the other too poofy or just not me.
Can't wait to see how your plans continue to come along
Yeah, that's one of the several reasons we're not having it - while I love everyone who will be at the wedding, there's several that you do NOT want to combine with alcohol unless you want...interesting things to happen. Which is one thing if you're out on the town, another if it's my wedding haha!

I think the reason I liked it so much was that Rachel (my MOH in the pictures) had a rustic, shabby chic themed wedding and her colors were the same (blue, green, and wood accents) as the table, so in our minds it reminded us a lot of her wedding.

Yeah! If we had it for longer that would be one thing, but FIFTEEN MINUTES? Woof. Or if it was even just under a thousand, I'd be tempted, but that price, for that amount of time...yikes! Something I'd love to splurge on, but unsure if that is a doable thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkdang View Post
Great pics of the bridal showcase! I was debating about going to it, but I felt like ah.. why waste money, but then when I see pictures of it.. I wished I would have gone =( oh well!

Cinderella's Coach is definitely expensive! My bridesmaids says that if I want the full impact that I should do it, but I always turn them down, because it definitely has a hefty price tag and besides I don't think it really fits me.. its too over the top, I think I'd feel uber uncomfortable in it. lol
Aww, it's okay! I definitely think it's something that wasn't a MUST see. It was great since I live local, and it's one of those "if you can make it, go to it" things, but it wasn't as great as the previous one a few years ago sounded!

Yeah, the coach isn't my taste really either, I'd prefer a retro car - moreso Mom loves Cinderella...but she also likes one of the 1940s cars Disney has available, so maybe we can swing that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderALLIE View Post
Great update.

Nothing wrong with having no lcohol at your wedding. It's your day and should be about what you and your partner want. You're already paying for your guests meals and non-alcoholic drinks, they don;t like it than maybe you will have a guest or 2 less. Weddings are about seeing a couple commit not about how much booze you can drink on their dime
Thank you! That's my thoughts exactly...if the couple wants to have it, awesome, but if not it's not something I expect/demand. Especially with us doing a full reception and dessert party, it's not like we're not providing for them.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #26
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Just joining in! I love your proposal and the video (I love watching Disney proposal videos way too much)! Your ring is gorgeous and I love your plans!

Really enjoyed your recap of the bridal show (and your recap on the wedding podcast too). Oh Tutera, what a useless response to a perfectly reasonable question. Fail, indeed!

Anyway, looking forward to reading more!
2013 WDW Wedding: BWV & GF | 2013 DCL: Fantasy 7-Night | 2013 ABD: BSM | 2015 DL: D23 Expo
LittleKittyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #27
Ashley Marie
Mouseketeer

I'm just joining and wanted to say hi!

We have very similar wedding plans (Wedding Pavilion/Atlantic Dance Hall/hopefully a dessert party, if we can afford it). I loved seeing your photos of ADH! We won't be able to see the venue in person until our planning visit (probably in May), so the more pictures the better for us!
Ashley Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #28
disneydania
Disney-obsessed & Proud of It

Are people really giving you grief about not serving alcohol at your wedding? Really?

OMG please do not listen to them. The nerve of some people. There is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with your choice to have a dry wedding. It's YOUR wedding. You do what you want. If people cannot wait a few hours to down a drink, they can certainly find a bar nearby and get their drink on. Your guests are there to help you celebrate your union in marriage, not get plastered. And no one should be shaming you into feeling bad about your decision. In fact, shame on David for reacting in that manner and in front of an audience. Epic fail on his part.

Enjoy your planning and your special day the way you want.

Family Trips: 04/04 Disneymoon POR, 01/05 Disney BabyMoon BWR, 12/06 Baby's 1st DIS Trip WL, 06/11 Boys' Joint B-day Trip CR, 01/13 Family Holiday Trip BCR

My single days: 1st WDW trip '83, WDW '85, WDW '86, DL '88, WDW '94, WDW '96, WDW '97, WDW '98, WDW '99, DLP '00, WDW '00, WDW '01, WDW '02, WDW '03

disneydania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #29
Bewitch324
DIS Veteran

Thank you for sharing your pictures and viewpoint from the wedding expo...I was kind of bummed that I couldn't go this year and figure that by next year, I'll be too far along in my planning for it to be beneficial....but with your pictures, Carrie's pictures and her podcast, I feel like I got the gist of it, and I'm not sorry that I missed it after all.

I am disappointed in David Tutera's response to your question though. Although from watching his show, I get the feeling the man definitely likes to drink...so maybe not surprising? But seriously, it should be about what couple wants, is comfortable with and can afford!!

As for how to respond gracefully when people act offended (seriously...what is wrong with these people!!!!) I would maybe try a humor approach...like say, "what you need a drink to watch me get married? am I breaking your heart here?" or something?? I don't know. You shouldn't have to respond, because you shouldn't have people making you feel bad about your choices for YOUR wedding!!!!! ARGH.

Having said that, I have a feeling I will get pressured to include at least champagne at our brunch or lunch reception (not sure yet) and my fiance doesn't drink AT ALL and I don't drink champagne

Good luck and thanks again for your showcase report, both here and on the Disney Weddings Podcast (AWESOME!!).

Brooke
Bewitch324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #30
princessvirginia
And at Last, I See the Light

First off-- I (and my parents and MOH) were seated behind you to your right at the DFTW Showcase during the David Tutera bit and heard your question.

Your particular question really actually was useful to us AND his answer bothered my parents a lot because we are Old Southern (not the Julep-sipping kind, the sweet-tea-sipping kind, you know Southern sweet tea was developed as an alternative to "strong drink"!) and have a religious/cultural background that strongly objects to alcohol (I have only been to one non-family wedding that even served alcohol) and my parents have NEVER been to a wedding that served alcohol. So yes, my family only has "dry" weddings but my parents had never even heard it called that. (My MOH, on the other hand, is a professional bartender, so... yeah) We had worried about offending some of our family and friends by SERVING alcohol, as a matter of fact.

So I really, really felt for you as you asked your question-- honestly alcohol is probably way out of our budget anyway that it's easy to tell people we just can't afford it when really we too just don't drink a lot and... I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be missed, but we have SO many friends (particularly groomsmen) who are very vocal about not having alcohol... it sounds crazy but to a lot of people (men, in our case) it can be a deal-breaker.

It's sad to think people might think more highly of alcohol than of you, but we've already experienced that sentiment from some of DF's family and friends. It's hurtful but honestly-- it's your wedding in the end (he did tell you that!) and I won't have any problem directing people to Downtown Disney and the Boardwalk or any of the clubs on I-Drive to go get their drink on. They're not coming "all the way to FL" to drink-- they're coming to support us, and it's not our job to supply their alcohol when it's just not a priority to us.

Further, all of my DF's guys smoke cigars as a hobby but I'm not budgeting in those for the reception, either! They are welcome to bring their own and enjoy them at the lounges at DTD or on their hotel balconies, but I'm not supplying them because it's not my thing-- same thing with alcohol.

Sorry to rant-- I just want you to know that I'm 100% on your side when it comes to what you asked about, and wasn't satisfied with his answer (I've been to literally dozens of wonderful weddings that were completely "dry" and every one lived to tell about it).

Now that that's out of the way, hi, I'm Virginia! We need to be good friends-- we are also doing the WP and probably ADH on the 5th of April 2014 (6th was/is our backup)-- this could possibly change, of course, after the date lottery in a few weeks. I'm having some confidence issues with the date-- I used to work at WDW and want to avoid Spring Break and anything resembling a busier season while down there-- the best time of year at WDW to me is the early Spring when the weather is perfect and there's no one there, and that's what I'm going for, but I'm kinda worried that might still be too close to Spring Break season there (it's usually a few weeks before Easter, around St. Patty's) but yeah.

I did have a question-- what discount did you mention and is it applicable to that weekend of the 5th-6th? My consultant (Diane) is on vacation right now (starting today, actually) so I can't talk to her until April! We're having some budgeting concerns at the moment and I'd like to know, if you have anything to share-- that might help us out a bit before we have to pay the deposit!

Trips:

WDW: March '05 off-site , '08 WDWCP, , August '10 CV & WDW off-site , August '12 CVI & WDW (Got Engaged at Cinderella Castle) all-star music
princessvirginia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: