DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #16
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace.love.mickey View Post
I guess I am worried if/when they change the rules, etc.!
If you're thinking that buying direct would be total protection against them changing the rules.....that's not really the case.

The DVC contract gives us the right to stay at our home resort, with our points, subject to availability, for the life of the contract. Everything else is subject to change.....whether you buy direct or resale.

All of the things they took away from resale buyers could just as easily be taken from direct buyers. There's absolutely nothing in the contract that prevents them from ending our access to DCL, or the non-DVC resorts, or ABD, or the Concierge Collection, just like they did with resale buyers.

And in reality, lots of things change for all members, all the time. Hotels come and go from the Concierge Collection. Booking fees for non-DVC stays suddenly appear. Booking rules change overnight. AP discounts appear. Free valet parking is taken away.

There are endless debates here on the DIS on what things they might be likely to change, and what things they probably wouldn't ever change, and what things might change for resale buyers and what might change for direct buyers. It's all speculation, none of us knows for sure what DVC's future plans are.

But my point is (see, I did have one ), if it's fear of changes that's preventing you from looking at resales....it shouldn't be. There are going to be continuing changes in DVC over the years for all of us, not just resale buyers. Some of the changes you'll like, some you won't.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:44 AM   #17
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace.love.mickey View Post
I guess I am worried if/when they change the rules, etc.!
As Lynne noted, they can change many of the rules and processes if they chose and affect all. Since it's only reasonable to buy for DVC stays and it is my opinion they can't differentiate between qualified and unqualified points on that front, I don't see any real risk related to using DVC points at current DVC resorts resale compared to retail. There certainly are risks with the process of buying resale as well as time compromises but I think they are controllable and minimal.

Things we could anticipate might change, I'll only list negatives ones but there are changes that could be positive as well.
  • Any and all perks could be removed.
  • There could be further reallocations, weekends may go backup.
  • The dues could go up and the STRUCTURE could change including such that it's more pp for smaller contracts than larger ones.
  • New perks could be for qualified members only.
  • A VIP program could come into being and exclude resale buyers.
  • Transfers, banking and borrowing could all be changed or eliminated.
  • New fees could be added including banking, borrowing, canceling, multiple reservations.
  • A minimum stay could be instituted.
  • New resorts might not be accessible.
I'm sure we could come up with many more. IMO, if you look at any of this and DVC no longer makes sense, it's likely not a good choice now anyway.
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: