DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
rojen
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat View Post
You have $20,000 and you just feel like you HAVE to spend it? Who are you, Barack Obama?

You "could" buy 100-200 DVC points now and put the rest of the money in a separate savings account for the express purpose of buying more DVC points in the future. There is no reason to go from owning 0 points to 300 pts overnight. Buy a smaller amount and then if it works for you buy more later.

I have 2 kids age 3 and 1 and my family expects two trips per year in 1 bedrooms. We will need about 400-450 points to do this. However I just closed on a 200 point contract. I figure I'll buy half what I need now and then try out DVC for a little bit before committing so much money.

The price difference of 300 pts vs 150 points will probably be $10,000 up front and $800 annually. That's a lot of money and you are better off buying half what you need and then expanding later.

And if prices crash you will get a better deal in the future and feel happy you waited. And if prices rise you will feel like you got a good deal now and be happy you bought when you did. Either way you are a winner.
The idea was to rent the excess points until I need them. Money sitting in an account drawing .25% interest does me no good. Renting out points at least puts the money to use. I'll recoup that excess cost for a few years, pay for MF and such.

And I've stayed at three DVC properties. We'll be going 1-2 times a year. Definitely don't want to spend the money to stay at a deluxe, and the values are too small. Mods are ok, but even with a discount, paying $150 a night at POR adds up to the value of a DVC contract real fast.
rojen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: