Originally Posted by ELMC
Two thing that I would consider going forward. The first is how you will be able to afford this contract and the associated trip costs without the benefit of any future windfalls. Maintenance fees on 300 points are in the neighborhood of $1,500 and going up every year. Transportation, tickets, food, etc. will likely cost twice that at least. If these numbers doesn't bother you, then you should go ahead with your plan of owning 300 points. As for whether or not you should buy it all now or wait, look to Excel for the answer. Numbers don't lie.
The second is your likelihood of future Disney vacations. I get very nervous when people say that they are going to buy DVC based on predicted vacation patterns. You have a much higher chance of a successful ownership if your decision is made on a combination of a track record of visiting Disney and staying in Deluxes combined with a predicted future vacation pattern. If you feel this describes you, it's another plus for ownership.
That's the thing, we can easily afford to rent points and pay for tickets once or twice a year into the foreseeable future. Just not sure if we'll have twenty grand sitting around with nothing demanding it be spent again.
The math definitely works out, it's just the idea of writing a check or wire transfer for that much is kinda scary.