Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #2236
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynslp View Post
So I'm starting to freak out about my partial thyroidectomy based on "inconclusive" results. I don't exactly live in a medical meca. Are there other tests that could be done?

I guess the best news I've gotten recently is that my deductible that I thought was calendar year is actually, july to july so I met it already.
I didn't think you could get an "inconclusive" on a partial thyroidectomy. A surgery/removal such as that would be given a full pathology.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #2237
robynslp
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear with what I meant. I'm not liking the idea of having a partial thyroidectomy based on inconclusive FNP. I think what I really need to do is see my regular dr to understand better what is going on. I was basically told its a 15-30% chance it is cancer.

I really really don't like the idea of surgery.
robynslp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #2238
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear with what I meant. I'm not liking the idea of having a partial thyroidectomy based on inconclusive FNP. I think what I really need to do is see my regular dr to understand better what is going on. I was basically told its a 15-30% chance it is cancer.

Yeah, the surgery ain't no picnic!!! I would probably have several needle biopsies before I decided on surgery. And those "inconclusive" biopsies would need to be leaning rather to the "weird" side for me to do it. OR, I would definitely have the surgery if my thyroid gland was misbehaving. It's actually easier to treat thyroid issues once you get rid of the gland.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #2239
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine

Yeah, the surgery ain't no picnic!!! I would probably have several needle biopsies before I decided on surgery. And those "inconclusive" biopsies would need to be leaning rather to the "weird" side for me to do it. OR, I would definitely have the surgery if my thyroid gland was misbehaving. It's actually easier to treat thyroid issues once you get rid of the gland.
I actually thought the surgery was a little better than the biopsy. Lol. I was sleeping for the surgery. For the biopsy, I was wide awake with the surgeon and nurse 2 cm from my face. I have this thing about PERSONAL SPACE!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale and 1/2014 Dolphin
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #2240
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

Quote:

I know I'm super super new to this, but this is just like my situation. In cases like mine, almost always when they got an inconclusive FNB they automatically went to surgery for diagnostic purposes. But what I'd read about, and luckily my doctor/lab already knew about, was a relatively new test called the Veracyte Afirma gene expression test. It takes inconclusive/suspicious tests and runs molecular/gene testing on them which is far more accurate than an FNA. Johns Hopkins stated that use of this test could end up reducing unnecessary thyroidectomies by 74%.

The test is very expensive, like $3500, but apparently many insurances are coming around to covering and I think I read that they may be able to work with you to get it for much less than that if your insurance will not cover it. But I'm not entirely clear about that. The cost sure beats the many many thousand dollars a thyroidectomy would cost. If your doctor hasn't heard of it, and dismisses it, consider calling around to other doctors or calling Veracyte directly to get a recommendation for one familiar with the test.

If your labs weren't prepped for it when they were taken at your last FNA, the bad news is that you will need another FNA as it requires special handling. But at least you know you have options.

Here's more info: http://thyroid.about.com/od/cancergo...-nodules_3.htm

Best of luck to you.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #2241
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
I actually thought the surgery was a little better than the biopsy. Lol. I was sleeping for the surgery. For the biopsy, I was wide awake with the surgeon and nurse 2 cm from my face. I have this thing about PERSONAL SPACE!

I was mainly thinking about the recovery from the surgery. It wasn't the worst thing in the world but it wasn't like having a mole removed either!

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 01-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #2242
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I was mainly thinking about the recovery from the surgery. It wasn't the worst thing in the world but it wasn't like having a mole removed either!
Oh I know. I was making a feeble attempt at humor. ;-)

I had a total thyroidectomy for papillary carcinoma with spreading to a few lymph nodes, after originally having Graves' disease, then contracting hepatitis from an allergic reaction to the PTU. And yet, the main thing I still really cringe at was the biopsy and everyone so up close in my face. I must be claustrophobic. When I had my daughter I had a panic attack as they were closing me up from the c-section because the drape was up to my face. I am a nervous patient when "aware" of my surroundings.

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale and 1/2014 Dolphin
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #2243
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
Oh I know. I was making a feeble attempt at humor. ;-)

I had a total thyroidectomy for papillary carcinoma with spreading to a few lymph nodes, after originally having Graves' disease, then contracting hepatitis from an allergic reaction to the PTU. And yet, the main thing I still really cringe at was the biopsy and everyone so up close in my face. I must be claustrophobic. When I had my daughter I had a panic attack as they were closing me up from the c-section because the drape was up to my face. I am a nervous patient when "aware" of my surroundings.

Oh, yeah, I'd say you have a little problem!!!

I don't necessarily have that sort of issue but in some ways I do. It's why I hate the dentist so much. I hate that the dental hygenist is so close to me and I don't like all that prolonged attention to my mouth!!

I never did have a FNA in the neck so I don't know how I would have dealt with that. I've only had breast biopsies and, fortunately, they are not in your face for them.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 01-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #2244
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh, yeah, I'd say you have a little problem!!!

I don't necessarily have that sort of issue but in some ways I do. It's why I hate the dentist so much. I hate that the dental hygenist is so close to me and I don't like all that prolonged attention to my mouth!!

I never did have a FNA in the neck so I don't know how I would have dealt with that. I've only had breast biopsies and, fortunately, they are not in your face for them.
Yes, I am the same with the dentist. Luckily the one hygienist has me down on my chart as a nut. Lol
Been there, done that with the breast, too. I can deal with that ok. Just want it over with. But that "in your face" thing just makes me crazy!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #2245
branv

I know this is completely O/T, but since you all have been so kind about my situation, I wanted to again thank you and tell you some good news. Not about the thyroid, too early yet, but about the pregnancy.

After I updated my OB with the info about my thyroid, they were able to get me in to have my first sonogram 9 days earlier than originally planned. I knew this was going to a nervewracking day for us b/c the last miscarriage was discovered at our first sonogram when they just couldn't find a heartbeat.

Well, we got a heartbeat! A REALLY strong heartbeat! Baby is measuring exactly on time, and he/she was even moving a little bit. Because of my position, I didn't see the flickering of the heart at first and my heart sunk. But DH saw it right away, and started crying before even I did! Which startled me because I didn't know why he was crying!

The only teeny-tiny weirdness is that the due date is 9/11. Oooph. I think I will be lying about that one when we tell people. We aren't going to tell anyone until after we have all the testing done, which will be right as we enter the 2nd trimester. So for now, it's me, DH, one friend, and all you peeps on the DIS!

I thought this would scare me -- the idea of being pregnant and potentially having cancer. But, at least for today, I feel stronger. Like I have hope and more fight in me than before.

Thank you again for everything.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #2246
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by branv
I know this is completely O/T, but since you all have been so kind about my situation, I wanted to again thank you and tell you some good news. Not about the thyroid, too early yet, but about the pregnancy.

After I updated my OB with the info about my thyroid, they were able to get me in to have my first sonogram 9 days earlier than originally planned. I knew this was going to a nervewracking day for us b/c the last miscarriage was discovered at our first sonogram when they just couldn't find a heartbeat.

Well, we got a heartbeat! A REALLY strong heartbeat! Baby is measuring exactly on time, and he/she was even moving a little bit. Because of my position, I didn't see the flickering of the heart at first and my heart sunk. But DH saw it right away, and started crying before even I did! Which startled me because I didn't know why he was crying!

The only teeny-tiny weirdness is that the due date is 9/11. Oooph. I think I will be lying about that one when we tell people. We aren't going to tell anyone until after we have all the testing done, which will be right as we enter the 2nd trimester. So for now, it's me, DH, one friend, and all you peeps on the DIS!

I thought this would scare me -- the idea of being pregnant and potentially having cancer. But, at least for today, I feel stronger. Like I have hope and more fight in me than before.

Congrats and God bless,

Old 01-29-2013, 06:05 AM   #2247
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by branv View Post

That's great news and I'm so happy for you!!!! Enjoy this and don't even think about the thyroid stuff. Statistically, the odds are in your favor.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #2248
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

branv - congrats and just focus on that baby. Dont worry about the what ifs right now.

And my thoghts on the fna conversation
I can understand about all the fnas and in your face kind of stuff. Honestly none of that really bothered me. My surgeon is really tiny and short so it was rarely that he was in my face, more like he had to put on stilts to find me, well not really, lol.

The worst was the core biopsy I had. That was beyond nerve racking and scary. I think dh said he wanted to throw up. Its like a caulk gun getting put into your neck sideways, not straight on. I was told not to look, turn, move etc. And worse, he said, I am making another pass on you (attempt) because I didnt like how the first one went, oh gheesh thanks!

Well my endo does her own fna they say, but honestly I would rather go to the ent surgeon if I need another one. I think he just has so much more experience etc.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #2249
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Well this deserves its own post so gather round ladies because you all welcome to a piece of because we are having a party today!!

Today is my 4 year cancerversary!! God is so good. Cant believe 4 years ago I almost was not blessed to be here anymore and wonderful dh holding my hand in the coma (too bad he is in california and seattle all this week). I am blessed beyond measure for sure!

And yest I went to the endo. Ds21 took me. Good nursing school experience for him. Endo said my numbers are great. Hmm, she gave me the blood report and they only listed one test and the others are pending. its less than .2 measurable so a 0. She still wants me to get the reclast infusion and the sono, She gave me the name of another internist to check out. I go again in august since she always go to greece in july. Even ds told me what a nice dr. she was!

Thanks for always listening to me and being encouraging.

Mickayla - tomm you go to the new repro endo? Wishing you all the best.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #2250
branv

Congratulations! And here's to many many many years of good health to come.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: