Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #2296
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 13,071

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post

I know I-57 is boring but it is faster than I-65 so just keep that in mind.
There's also a fantastic Mexican buffet in Mt Vernon,IL - Sundays only
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is offline  
Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #2297
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
There's also a fantastic Mexican buffet in Mt Vernon,IL - Sundays only
Mt. Vernon is usually where we stop on the way home but sadly never on a Sunday. I will keep that in mind if we ever come back that way on Sunday. Thanks
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #2298
remlover
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
Mt. Vernon is usually where we stop on the way home but sadly never on a Sunday. I will keep that in mind if we ever come back that way on Sunday. Thanks
Do you really save a lot of time going down I-57? I have never traveled on I-65 through Indianapolis or Lousiville. Looking at the times, I'd probably be hitting Indy by 5pm. A lot of traffic their?

Speaking of Mt. Vernon, Seems that is the stop I always make for gas. I always forget how long Illinois is from the tip to the bottom.
remlover is offline  
Old 01-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #2299
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,752

Quote:
Originally Posted by remlover View Post
Do you really save a lot of time going down I-57? I have never traveled on I-65 through Indianapolis or Lousiville. Looking at the times, I'd probably be hitting Indy by 5pm. A lot of traffic their?

Speaking of Mt. Vernon, Seems that is the stop I always make for gas. I always forget how long Illinois is from the tip to the bottom.
We only drove I65 twice and both times there was more traffic especially trucks. I can't say how much time is saved maybe an hour. Drive I65 one way and I57 the other and time it to see which works best for you. Remember too with I65 you have to go around Indy too and at 5pm that's rush hour. I just always try to remember for us Nashville is 8 hours and Atlanta is 12 so I try to make sure I don't hit those near rush hour morning or evening. Nashville always seems to be the worst for us with the traffic and we fly through in the carpool lane in Atlanta no problem.
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline  
Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #2300
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,626

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie View Post
Saying hello my friend, when is the next trip? I am hoping for June or Sept. a good friend from the west coast was shooting for March, but not sure our plans are going to work out
Need some warmth after all the single digits this week!
im ready now!!!! we are going in may. our dd still has to tag along. 20 years old and daddy still takes her to walt disney world. (thats ok, she is more then welcome) she is going to audition when they come to philly this year. her best friend from college is down there now working at the bib.bob. in the castle and i know its killing her. she would like to do the college program but she makes a good buck teaching tap and working at penera bread all while going to school and has a 3.7gpa. she said for her to give up her non min. wage jobs to go to work for $8.00 and paying room and board just dont make much sense but we are working on her.
tammy and i are also going down in september for 11 nights at okw. maybe we will be there the same time again in september.
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!


dvczerfs is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #2301
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,475

We drive to Florida at least 4 times a year - (2012 we did 5 drives to Disney) from the Chicago burbs. We have tried several ways - our GPS keeps wanting us to take I65. Before we had the GPS, we usually drove I57 to I24. We tried the GPS routing of I65 and weren't happy. Supposedly according the GPS it should be about 20 -30 minutes faster - however in reality it took the same amount of time. We have tried the I65 route 3 times and had the same result so we now stick to our I57 route.
I know that I65 has a higher speed limit than IL, but IN has 2 speed limits - one for trucks and one for cars where IL has raised the speed limit for trucks to the same as cars. So when trucks pass each other, they are going the same as you and you don't get sandwiched between trucks as you do in IN. When we took I65, getting caught between trucks ate up a lot of time.
Also, there seems to be a lot less truck traffic on I57 than I65.
cruisingkat is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #2302
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer
 
Lizzybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Chicagoland
Posts: 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat
We drive to Florida at least 4 times a year - (2012 we did 5 drives to Disney) from the Chicago burbs. We have tried several ways - our GPS keeps wanting us to take I65. Before we had the GPS, we usually drove I57 to I24. We tried the GPS routing of I65 and weren't happy. Supposedly according the GPS it should be about 20 -30 minutes faster - however in reality it took the same amount of time. We have tried the I65 route 3 times and had the same result so we now stick to our I57 route.
I know that I65 has a higher speed limit than IL, but IN has 2 speed limits - one for trucks and one for cars where IL has raised the speed limit for trucks to the same as cars. So when trucks pass each other, they are going the same as you and you don't get sandwiched between trucks as you do in IN. When we took I65, getting caught between trucks ate up a lot of time.
Also, there seems to be a lot less truck traffic on I57 than I65.
We just did 57 for the first time instead of 65. We also got the GPS telling us it would be 30 mins longer but overall I think it was a quicker, better route with less trucks, traffic, and construction. I think this might be our new regular route after 6 trips.
__________________


June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite



I'm addicted to the pixie dust!


ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #2303
remlover
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 17

I think I'm being sold on the I-57 idea more and more. From my experience it is not busy. Especially once you get past Kankakee, IL. My only concern are the speed traps on 57. I got hit with a ticket (7 over) way down. I'm not sure if its before the I24 cut-off or further south going towards the border. Heck, I have even see a Corvette as a police squad car.

Do you guys and gals keep to the speed limit or a few over? I try to keep up with traffic, but when you are alone sometimes it's hard to hide.
remlover is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #2304
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 13,071

I typically set my cruise 2-3 MPH over the limit. Much more than that & I start worrying & who needs the stress when you're on vacation?
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #2305
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer
 
Lizzybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Chicagoland
Posts: 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by remlover
I think I'm being sold on the I-57 idea more and more. From my experience it is not busy. Especially once you get past Kankakee, IL. My only concern are the speed traps on 57. I got hit with a ticket (7 over) way down. I'm not sure if its before the I24 cut-off or further south going towards the border. Heck, I have even see a Corvette as a police squad car.

Do you guys and gals keep to the speed limit or a few over? I try to keep up with traffic, but when you are alone sometimes it's hard to hide.
There was one CRAZY speed trap about an hour north of Champaign. I can't remember the towns, maybe just before Rantoul? We counted 9 state troopers, 7 of whom had people pulled over. It was about a 5 mile stretch and I don't think we saw more than 2 cops the rest of the entire trip! We absolutely slowed down through there (funny thing was right before that area DH was getting irritated at all the people going about 60 and then we saw why!) but we picked the speed back up after that. One of my BFFs is a state trooper and when she used to be on patrol on the roads she said she almost never pulled anyone for doing 10 or less over, especially in inclement weather. She says 7 is usually the magic number.

I'm sold on 57 going forward. I hate all of the semis and construction on 65. It just seemed 57 was quicker and safer. Plus no tolls getting there unlike 65. That helped too.
__________________


June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite



I'm addicted to the pixie dust!


ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 AM   #2306
your friend
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 141

Where are the speed traps on I95 south between Philly and Orlando?
__________________
Me, My Wife, 3 kids DD20, DD5, DD1
Dogs Chloe & Althea

Trips
Pop Century: Nov. 2011
Boardwalk Inn: Nov. 2013
your friend is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #2307
edbo77
Mouseketeer
 
edbo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by your friend View Post
Where are the speed traps on I95 south between Philly and Orlando?
Virginia is by far the worst in my opinion. It is not uncommon for me to see more VA state troopers set up that in all the other states combined and I'm coming down from MA.

I'm actually making the drive down on Thursday, I will let you know if this still holds true.
__________________
March 1982/April 1984 - Off property
July 1986/June 1987 - Polynesian
April 1991 - Beach Club
March 1995/June 1995 - Off Property
June 1995 - POR
April 1997 - POR
May 2000 - POR
October 2004 - Beach Club Villas
February 2007/June 2008 - Boardwalk Villas
February 2012 - Off Property
October 2012 - Beach Club Villas
edbo77 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #2308
Indy Denise
Mouseketeer
 
Indy Denise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: AndrewLuckland
Posts: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by remlover View Post
Do you really save a lot of time going down I-57? I have never traveled on I-65 through Indianapolis or Lousiville. Looking at the times, I'd probably be hitting Indy by 5pm. A lot of traffic their?

Speaking of Mt. Vernon, Seems that is the stop I always make for gas. I always forget how long Illinois is from the tip to the bottom.
It's bad! Very bad. It moves, but very slow. This route takes you through the downtown area so there is a lot of cars entering the highway....but I do have to say accidents are not the norm. There are also a lot of semis during this time too.

Also as you are nearing Indy keep to the speed limit. It seems to me that you will get pulled over especially if you have out of state plates. If you are local they often overlook things.

There are a TON over unmarked police cars and trucks...Chargers, Mustangs, and white generic pick ups with an Indy state seal on them...as well as vehicles picked up from drug busts ..so you just never know when you will get pulled over for speeding..
__________________
Indy Denise is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #2309
stevil73
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 28

Southern NH to WDW (1st time)

Looking for some tips from all the experienced drivers from Southern NH or MA. Family of 5 (3 preschoolers) planning to drive on Easter weekend. The plan is to leave southern NH on Saturday, March 30 around 6:30pm, hoping to get alot of the drive in while the kids sleep. Since we are driving at night, I was planning on this route: 495/MA Pike/84/684/Tappan Zee/GS Pkwy/NJ Tpke/95. Plan on stopping somewhere in the Carolinas, maybe GA if everything is going ok, then onto WDW the next morning. Since its a holiday weekend, any chance of hitting any holiday traffic? Does this route seem reasonable? Thanks
stevil73 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #2310
Bearadise
My DW is a Bear-a-holic...
 
Bearadise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 77

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
I typically set my cruise 2-3 MPH over the limit. Much more than that & I start worrying & who needs the stress when you're on vacation?
Same-same here! I like my cruise control for just that reason. I set it and stay in the middle/middle-right lanes. Let the slower people stay behind me or to the right of me, let the speeders pass me on the left. We plan to leave with enough time ahead of us, so that barring any unforeseen circumstances, we make it to WDW on time.

I plan on giving my money to the mouse!

_
__________________
Rich(Me) [DisDad #731] Cathy(DW) Samantha(DD) Matthew(DGS#1) Jackson(DGS#2) Brady(DGS#3) Chad(DS) Amber(DDIL) Zack(DGS#4) Zoey(DGD#1)
Disneyland: Multiple day-tripper 1979-1982 || WDW: Off-Property 1990 || WDW: Dixie Landings 1993 || All-Star Movies 2008, 2010 || Pop Century 2013 || Caribbean Beach-Jamaica 2013 ||
Art of Animation 2014.
Are you on Facebook? 'The Wheeler Clan at WDW' is! Please come visit our page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wheele...33913320005732



Bearadise is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: