Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Talking 19, and in need of new Disney friends!

Hi all,

I'm Em and I'm fairly new to the DIS boards. I figured I should come back and introduce myself here so I could meet some new Disney friends and really get involved in the community.

A little about me- I'm 19, a nursing student, and an avid runner. I just got back from Disney 1/19 and will be writing a TR soon. I'm planning to return with my sister next February to take on the Princess half marathon. It'll be my sister's first half, so it'll be pretty exciting!

So, stop and introduce yourself! Tell me your favorite ride, and your favorite resort! Point me in the direction of your trip report! Share some Disney wisdom with me!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
monarchs21
Mouseketeer

Welcome to the disboards Emily! Have you done any of the Disney marathons before?? I hear there awesome...I'd love to go to one someday!
monarchs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
TweedleMe
DCP Fall 2013

Welcome!

I'm not really a runner, but I want to start training to do a 5k at Disney, it gives me an excuse to go to WDW lol...My favorite ride is Splash Mountain and favorite resort is Polynesian

Disney College Program - August 2013-January 2013
Pop Century - May 2012
Wilderness Lodge - May 2011
All Star Music - March 2011
Boardwalk Inn - April 2011
Disney College Program - January 2011-July 2011
Pop Century - January 2011
Swan and Dolphin - May 2010
All Star Sports - March 2008
Contemporary - August 2007
Disney Cruise - June 2006
All Star Sports - June 2005
Swan and Dolphin - June 2004
Polynesian - June 2003
TweedleMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Welcome!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchs21 View Post
Welcome to the disboards Emily! Have you done any of the Disney marathons before?? I hear there awesome...I'd love to go to one someday!
Not yet! I've heard they're a lot of fun though! I did run the Philadelphia Half Marathon in November, and will be running either the Atlantic City Half Marathon, of Chesire Half Marathon in April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleMe View Post
Welcome!

I'm not really a runner, but I want to start training to do a 5k at Disney, it gives me an excuse to go to WDW lol...My favorite ride is Splash Mountain and favorite resort is Polynesian
You should totally do it! I honestly started running to train for a 5K and then loved it and coundn't stop. My goal is to complete a full marathon one day

Ahh, a Splash fan. What do you think of all the complaints about it being run down? Does it bother you or do you like the ride no matter what?

You know, its funny you said Poly, because until recently I didn't really get why so many people have fallen in love with that resort. I stopped there a couple weeks ago to catch the monorail and was literally blown away. The lobby was incredible, so I'm sure the rest of the resort is nothing less. Needless to say, I understand now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Welcome!
Thanks! Wish I lived as close to the World as you do!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

Welcome!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesswindsor View Post
Welcome!!!
Thanks! Love your picture! I'm assuming you met Meeko...? (Or maybe you wish you could!) Either way, he's adorable!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
TweedleMe
DCP Fall 2013

I think one of the main reasons I love Splash Mountain is the nostalgia. I never liked roller coasters when I was younger, but I loved Splash. I think it is perfect as is, an idea I have is that they release a new movie to include the Song of the South characters.

And for the Polynesian. I haven't stayed there in awhile, but I do visit there nearly every time I go to WDW. Ohana is my favorite place to eat in the world! Dole Whip is my favorite dessert at Disney, so having it at Captain Cook's is great. The luau show is great, the beach there has great views and is great for relaxing, the pool is fun, the theme is amazing and the location is the best! I could go on and on lol.

Disney College Program - August 2013-January 2013
Pop Century - May 2012
Wilderness Lodge - May 2011
All Star Music - March 2011
Boardwalk Inn - April 2011
Disney College Program - January 2011-July 2011
Pop Century - January 2011
Swan and Dolphin - May 2010
All Star Sports - March 2008
Contemporary - August 2007
Disney Cruise - June 2006
All Star Sports - June 2005
Swan and Dolphin - June 2004
Polynesian - June 2003
TweedleMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
monarchs21
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
Not yet! I've heard they're a lot of fun though! I did run the Philadelphia Half Marathon in November, and will be running either the Atlantic City Half Marathon, of Chesire Half Marathon in April.

Wow, that's a lot of running! Well it's good to see other young people on the boards...I just saw your TR...how did you like AoA??? Good things I hope because that's where I plan on staying when I get down there again!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow, that's a lot of running! Well it's good to see other young people on the boards...I just saw your TR...how did you like AoA??? Good things I hope because that's where I plan on staying when I get down there again!
I loved it! Ariel is my favorite princess so I loved staying in the Little Mermaid section. I don't know how many reviews you've read of the resort, but many of the common complaints people have are pretty valid. However, I'm a fairly easy going traveler so I really didn't mind.

Are you planning to stay in the Little Mermaid section? Or in one of the suites?

Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
monarchs21
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I loved it! Ariel is my favorite princess so I loved staying in the Little Mermaid section. I don't know how many reviews you've read of the resort, but many of the common complaints people have are pretty valid. However, I'm a fairly easy going traveler so I really didn't mind.

Are you planning to stay in the Little Mermaid section? Or in one of the suites?
Yeah I'm the same way. Any trip to Disney is alright by me! It's definitely going to be a while before I can afford to go again but I was looking at the Little Mermaid section. When we go down we usually go to Wilderness Lodge but it'd be nice to switch it up!
Old 01-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Be sure to check out our WISH Board/Events and Competitions to talk with other runners and discuss the Disney races found here http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoscrap View Post

Be sure to check out our WISH Board/Events and Competitions to talk with other runners and discuss the Disney races found here http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109
Thank you for the link! I was wondering if there was some type of runDisney board around here!

Quote:
Yeah I'm the same way. Any trip to Disney is alright by me! It's definitely going to be a while before I can afford to go again but I was looking at the Little Mermaid section. When we go down we usually go to Wilderness Lodge but it'd be nice to switch it up!
That's the way I see it, haha! It's hard to complain when you're in Disney World to begin with!

The Wilderness Lodge looks awesome! It's my goal to stay at every Disney resort eventually, and I think WL would be one of my first deluxe choices. It seems so majestic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleMe View Post
I think one of the main reasons I love Splash Mountain is the nostalgia. I never liked roller coasters when I was younger, but I loved Splash. I think it is perfect as is, an idea I have is that they release a new movie to include the Song of the South characters.

And for the Polynesian. I haven't stayed there in awhile, but I do visit there nearly every time I go to WDW. Ohana is my favorite place to eat in the world! Dole Whip is my favorite dessert at Disney, so having it at Captain Cook's is great. The luau show is great, the beach there has great views and is great for relaxing, the pool is fun, the theme is amazing and the location is the best! I could go on and on lol.
You can get Dole Whip on the resort property?!?! That's awesome! I just tried that on my last trip and it was just as amazing as everyone says!

Old 01-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
monarchs21
Mouseketeer

Quote:

That's the way I see it, haha! It's hard to complain when you're in Disney World to begin with!

The Wilderness Lodge looks awesome! It's my goal to stay at every Disney resort eventually, and I think WL would be one of my first deluxe choices. It seems so majestic!

Yeah I love Wilderness Lodge although when I did the college program I worked at the Boardwalk Resort and it was absolutely beautiful so I can't wait until I stay there, although it may be wayyyyy down the road lol
Old 01-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah I love Wilderness Lodge although when I did the college program I worked at the Boardwalk Resort and it was absolutely beautiful so I can't wait until I stay there, although it may be wayyyyy down the road lol
You did CP? Jealous! Unfortunately, the school of nursing is not convinced of the usefulness of a semester in WDW