Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
princess stich
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 565

We are going to Orlando for spring break (3/16-3/23) staying at my in laws timeshare (Vistana resort). We have been to Disney MANY times, but this will be our first time at Universal. I am just starting to read through the Universal boards. If you have any tips - especially for this time of year, I would love to hear them! I am going to buy the 2 days - get 3rd day free tickets next month.
__________________
Carrie

Last edited by princess stich; 01-20-2013 at 11:25 AM.
princess stich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
RMulieri
DIS Veteran
 
RMulieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tom Sawyers Island
Posts: 20,680

Since it is Spring break it is going to be VERY busy.Start looking at the park maps to familiarize yourself with layouts ..Get to the parks before opening .If Harry Potter is something you are interested in, hit it first thing in the morning or later in the day.Keep in mind onsite resort guests get in an hour earlier than the general public, so by the time you get into the parks, WWoHP will have plenty of people in it.
__________________
Going Back to the DarkSide -Universal Orlando and the Harry Potter Expansion December 2014
RMulieri is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney
 
Metro West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NW Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,429
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
Since it is Spring break it is going to be VERY busy.Start looking at the park maps to familiarize yourself with layouts ..Get to the parks before opening .If Harry Potter is something you are interested in, hit it first thing in the morning or later in the day.Keep in mind onsite resort guests get in an hour earlier than the general public, so by the time you get into the parks, WWoHP will have plenty of people in it.
__________________
**** Universal Orlando annual passholder since 2004! ****
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie
 
macraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)
Posts: 56,359

i went to the darkside once during spring break.


never again.



too crowded for my tastes.




suggest you go early, be at the gate a good 30 minutes prior to opening.


go to www.universalorlando and make notes on the parks layouts.
that would be helpful for handling the crowds, finding restrooms, restaurants,
ride restrictions, etc.


eat lunch/dinner at off times.
most places are very busy from about 11:30 to 1:00.


use single rider lines when possible for shorter waits.


pick up the park guide map when you enter the parks for finding out show times, character meet ups, special events, park hours...


check at the front gate for any ride closings or late openings.


if you buy any merch in the parks, use the pick up service so you won't have to lug your bags around with you all day.

__________________
life is what happens to you on your way to achieving your dreams...........


Last edited by macraven; 01-20-2013 at 12:55 PM.
macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
princess stich
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 565

Thanks for the tips so far! I looked up the hours. US is open 9-7, IOA 9-9 the week we are there. The next week the hours expand to 2 hours later at each park. I'm hoping that this is a good sign. Our spring break is on the early side this year, so hopefully we'll miss a lot of the crowds.
__________________
Carrie
princess stich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie
 
macraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)
Posts: 56,359

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess stich View Post
Thanks for the tips so far! I looked up the hours. US is open 9-7, IOA 9-9 the week we are there. The next week the hours expand to 2 hours later at each park. I'm hoping that this is a good sign. Our spring break is on the early side this year, so hopefully we'll miss a lot of the crowds.
that is a very good sign.

there have been a few occasions where the hours have increased due to crowds.
keep checking the hours site before you leave.
__________________
life is what happens to you on your way to achieving your dreams...........

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney
 
Metro West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NW Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,429
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess stich View Post
Thanks for the tips so far! I looked up the hours. US is open 9-7, IOA 9-9 the week we are there. The next week the hours expand to 2 hours later at each park. I'm hoping that this is a good sign. Our spring break is on the early side this year, so hopefully we'll miss a lot of the crowds.
The longer the hours, the higher the anticipated crowd.
__________________
**** Universal Orlando annual passholder since 2004! ****
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
flfun
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
i went to the darkside once during spring break.


never again.



too crowded for my tastes.




suggest you go early, be at the gate a good 30 minutes prior to opening.


go to www.universalorlando and make notes on the parks layouts.
that would be helpful for handling the crowds, finding restrooms, restaurants,
ride restrictions, etc.


eat lunch/dinner at off times.
most places are very busy from about 11:30 to 1:00.


use single rider lines when possible for shorter waits.


pick up the park guide map when you enter the parks for finding out show times, character meet ups, special events, park hours...


check at the front gate for any ride closings or late openings.


if you buy any merch in the parks, use the pick up service so you won't have to lug your bags around with you all day.

flfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
glocon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,341

If there is any way possible, you should stay on site. You get in early, and your room key is a fast pass for most rides. It makes a difference- really.
__________________
2002-WDW offsite and POR *2003-WDW/UO offsite *2007-UO/SW offsite *2010-WDW AKL/UO HRH *2012WDW BC/UO HRH *2014-UO RPR&CB
glocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
princess stich
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocon View Post
If there is any way possible, you should stay on site. You get in early, and your room key is a fast pass for most rides. It makes a difference- really.
No, we are staying the week for free on my in-laws time share points.
__________________
Carrie
princess stich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie
 
macraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)
Posts: 56,359

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocon View Post
If there is any way possible, you should stay on site. You get in early, and your room key is a fast pass for most rides. It makes a difference- really.
i know what you are saying but last spring, the express line systems changed for onsite guests.

the hotel room key is not valid for express line usage.

once you check into the hotel and receive your room key, you go to the kiosk in the lobby to have your picture id made.
that paper/tyvek, is what is valid for express line usage in the parks.
__________________
life is what happens to you on your way to achieving your dreams...........

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
kkendle
Mouseketeer
 
kkendle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
i know what you are saying but last spring, the express line systems changed for onsite guests.

the hotel room key is not valid for express line usage.

once you check into the hotel and receive your room key, you go to the kiosk in the lobby to have your picture id made.
that paper/tyvek, is what is valid for express line usage in the parks.
Thanks for posting this. We were there last year in March over Spring Break and we used our room keys. Is the new picture ID thing they make you made of paper or plastic? Just wondering about it getting wet.

Thanks...Kelly
kkendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
RMulieri
DIS Veteran
 
RMulieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tom Sawyers Island
Posts: 20,680

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkendle View Post
Thanks for posting this. We were there last year in March over Spring Break and we used our room keys. Is the new picture ID thing they make you made of paper or plastic? Just wondering about it getting wet.

Thanks...Kelly
Thin paper..But its pretty strong.It is the Tyvek type paper that some of the paper tickets are made of..Doesnt tear or get ruined when wet.
__________________
Going Back to the DarkSide -Universal Orlando and the Harry Potter Expansion December 2014
RMulieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
kkendle
Mouseketeer
 
kkendle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
Thin paper..But its pretty strong.It is the Tyvek type paper that some of the paper tickets are made of..Doesnt tear or get ruined when wet.
Thanks!
kkendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie
 
macraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)
Posts: 56,359

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkendle View Post
Thanks for posting this. We were there last year in March over Spring Break and we used our room keys. Is the new picture ID thing they make you made of paper or plastic? Just wondering about it getting wet.

Thanks...Kelly
RMulieri beat me to it.


when you look at the camera in the kioski, look up some (but still at the camera) to get a better pic of yourself.
once the picture is taken, you are given the option of printing it or do a redo.

some guests will just accept the pic as is and print it off.
me, i did 5 retakes until i figured out where i should be looking......

if you do lose the pass, you can have it remade at guest services in the parks.
go to the desk so the TM can cancel out your original pass and you can then make a new one.
the kiosk for that is located in the corner of that room.


the new system started after spring break.
it was announced earlier that year but took awhile to get the kinks worked out and running.
__________________
life is what happens to you on your way to achieving your dreams...........

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.