DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
glencoe
Mouseketeer

resale ??

Ok, I am ready....we finally have the $$ and am now just finalizing our options.

What is the differences/benefits of buying directly from DVC or is resale the way to go and why??

thanks for all help!

1990 GF Honeymoon,
1998,2000,2002 offsite
Feb 2005 Poly-,
July 2006 Poly-family trip
Back to Poly! (Aug. 2011)
DVC Membership......... BLT

Celiac(17)(13)(10) (Pepper)(Mater)
glencoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glencoe View Post
Ok, I am ready....we finally have the $$ and am now just finalizing our options.

What is the differences/benefits of buying directly from DVC or is resale the way to go and why??

thanks for all help!
Benefits of direct DVC purchase:

Access to all DVC programs
Immediate ability to make reservations once deposit is made

Benefilts of resale purchase:

Save $$$$ depending on contract size.
Inability to use expensive DVC programs
Access to all other discounts and benefits

YMMV
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
glencoe
Mouseketeer

Ok, I am such a newbie...what are the DVC programs you are referring to?

1990 GF Honeymoon,
1998,2000,2002 offsite
Feb 2005 Poly-,

Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterDoc View Post
Benefits of direct DVC purchase:

Access to all DVC programs
Immediate ability to make reservations once deposit is made

Benefilts of resale purchase:

Save $$$$ depending on contract size.
Inability to use expensive DVC programs
Access to all other discounts and benefits

YMMV
Well said.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Ok, I am such a newbie...what are the DVC programs you are referring to?
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com

Quote:
Disney Vacation Club, which sells time shares as "points" that can be redeemed for stays in various accommodations, said it will no longer allow owners who acquire their points via resales to redeem them for nights in conventional hotel rooms (like the poly) at the company's five theme-park resorts worldwide, voyages aboard its cruise ships or vacations through its guided-tour operation (adventures by disney).
but trading DVC pts out of the DVC system for those other disney options costs a lot of pts anyway, as doc said.

you can still trade resale pts through RCI for other timeshares but that's not typically a great value either...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
18sprint
Mouseketeer

We bought resale, but with the assumption that our trips will be to WDW. Resale saved us $7200.00 over buying direct. We got the size contract WE wanted and where we wanted. With a resale, you can use the points for any of the DVC resorts, but not the others, such as Polynesian, GF or any of the moderates, nor can you use them for a cruise.. But you are not missing much since the point cost for non-DVC hotels and the cruises are very, very high.
18sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
glencoe
Mouseketeer

Ok, so a thought...Poly is a huge favorite...can you buy direct, then buy extra points resale and would they all count towards a stay at the poly for example or only the direct points count?

I am trying to look at if I restrict myself.....

I understand the point value at places like the poly are not worth it ,but I am trying to make sure I totally understand this...to be honest as of now resale seems to be a no-brainer????

1990 GF Honeymoon,
1998,2000,2002 offsite
Feb 2005 Poly-,

Old 01-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok, so a thought...Poly is a huge favorite...can you buy direct, then buy extra points resale and would they all count towards a stay at the poly for example or only the direct points count?
No, only the direct points can be used for a stay at the Poly. But luckily for you, you can also use cash to stay at the Poly.

Quote:
I am trying to look at if I restrict myself.....

I understand the point value at places like the poly are not worth it ,but I am trying to make sure I totally understand this...to be honest as of now resale seems to be a no-brainer????
Seems like you understand perfectly.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
I understand the point value at places like the poly are not worth it...
trading for a week in a hotel room at the poly in the first week of december 2013 would run 366 pts for a garden view plus the $95 trade fee...

roughly that same amount of pts with no $95 fee would just about score you a 2BR theme park view villa at BLT for the same period.

both on the monorail - but one's a 1150 square feet villa with separate bed rooms, a full kitchen and washer/dryer with a theme park view vs. a 400 sq ft hotel room with a garden view.

so how much do you like the poly?

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

I'm in the same situation. I'm trying to decide whether to purchase direct or resale. I've read so many things and just cannot decide! I am leaning more towards resale and found a few good deals.

Sent from my Galaxy S II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DznyCrzy11 View Post
I'm in the same situation. I'm trying to decide whether to purchase direct or resale. I've read so many things and just cannot decide! I am leaning more towards resale and found a few good deals.

Sent from my Galaxy S II
I'll oversimplify it for you:

Direct: Pay double the cost of resale. Fast closing. (For now) the ability to use points for very expensive exchanges. Immediate 50% depreciation in value of your "asset". For some a feeling of security that they bought direct.

Resale: Lengthy process (2-3 months). Save 50% or more. Points good for DVC resorts only (which is the point of buying DVC). Easy to get out of for close to your buy in. Save 50% or more.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
trading for a week in a hotel room at the poly in the first week of december 2013 would run 366 pts for a garden view plus the $95 trade fee...

roughly that same amount of pts with no $95 fee would just about score you a 2BR theme park view villa at BLT for the same period.

both on the monorail - but one's a 1150 square feet villa with separate bed rooms, a full kitchen and washer/dryer with a theme park view vs. a 400 sq ft hotel room with a garden view.

so how much do you like the poly?
And this is exactly why the point costs for the hotel rooms make no sense at all and are such a bad deal.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I'll oversimplify it for you:

Direct: Pay double the cost of resale. Fast closing. (For now) the ability to use points for very expensive exchanges. Immediate 50% depreciation in value of your "asset". For some a feeling of security that they bought direct.

Resale: Lengthy process (2-3 months). Save 50% or more. Points good for DVC resorts only (which is the point of buying DVC). Easy to get out of for close to your buy in. Save 50% or more.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #14
glencoe
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for all your help!!! Ok, I have been checking the different sites for resale but was trying to clarify something.....
We want to go this summer to disney...if I buy resale and points are available can we use the points for a trip this summer?
I saw some posts that mentioned if you buy resale you can't vacation right away.
The resales I was looking at some seem to have points left over and points applied for this year too....
I am now really wanted resale because I can get so many more points for my money and that really will meet the needs of my family....

Thanks again you guys are great!!!

1990 GF Honeymoon,
1998,2000,2002 offsite
Feb 2005 Poly-,

Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #15
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glencoe
Thanks so much for all your help!!! Ok, I have been checking the different sites for resale but was trying to clarify something.....
We want to go this summer to disney...if I buy resale and points are available can we use the points for a trip this summer?
I saw some posts that mentioned if you buy resale you can't vacation right away.
The resales I was looking at some seem to have points left over and points applied for this year too....
I am now really wanted resale because I can get so many more points for my money and that really will meet the needs of my family....

Thanks again you guys are great!!!
IF there are points available to make a reservation on the contract you buy you can make a reservation right away, PENDING AVAILABILITY. If you make a offer right now, get it accepted, clear ROFR, close, get set up in the DVC system, the earliest you could hope to make reservations would be late March/ early April. At that point, (only 2-4 months out) there may be extremely limited availability. Not saying it is impossible, just that there are no guarantees. If there is availability, chances are it would be at SSR, which is a very nice resort, stayed there last year, so don't discount it right away.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: