DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #31
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer

That song has always touched my heartstrings. Now as the kids get older, it starts to mean more and more. Then again, as parents, we have to give them roots and then wings!! So I guess we are doing our job.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #32
a742246
older than dirt

Harry Chapin love that man. We need more people like him. RIP Harry.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #33
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat View Post
This is not directed at anyone in particular, but this is based on my observations since I started regularly coming on here last summer (yes, I have a whopping 6 months experience with this website but I'm going to make a broad generalization)

People on here can sometimes come off as know-it-alls and assume non-DVC owners are know-nothings. People are just too serious on this site, and they need to have some fun and take a chill pill. So I try to defend the people who ask the questions a little bit. I assume they know what the heck they're doing. I mean they found the website and they're asking questions, doesn't that mean they're probably also able to google DVC and read a little bit about it? It's not like these people are on a cruise ship signing up after the presentation.

We all need to lay off the original posters and try to be a little bit more friendly.
Well, that is somewhat the nature of discussion boards.

Sometimes we post stuff, and others disagree. That happens to me a lot, and I personally think it's great -- as long as the responding poster offers legitimate counterpoints, as you did in an earlier reply to one of my posts. Some disagreed with your replies, but I didn't because I thought your points were legitimate and well-made -- just a difference of opinion. That's really what discussion boards are all about, and it's a good thing.

But -- whenever we post our opinions, or questions -- we have to accept that others may have different viewpoints or see unasked questions in the original post. I can tell you from experience that the DIS is WAY friendlier than other discussion boards I frequent. In fact, the DIS DVC boards are more friendly than some of the other DIS boards.

In addition, there is another aspect of DIS posts...especially about DVC purchases. Folks who have been here for a while realize that there are really TWO audiences for every post -- the folks who are joining the discussion (posters), and the folks who are just lurking and trying to learn the same things the posters are asking. So, sometimes, an experienced poster here will take a thread a little out of context to make sure that lurkers are not misled by the framing of a particular discussion.

We get a lot of threads here where the OP dribbles out just enough information to get the responses they wanted to get in the first place. If someone offers a critique, they dribble out just enough additional info to justify their position. Some see through that and address larger questions the OP didn't raise -- not to appear omniscient...but to protect the newbies who are just lurking.

We have two audiences, and we have responsibilities to both.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #34
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat View Post
So I try to defend the people who ask the questions a little bit. I assume they know what the heck they're doing.
Naw...they don't. I defend people who ask questions, too. And I also feel there is no such thing as a "dumb" question.

But there are people here (posting and lurking) who have absolutely NO CLUE what they are doing.

And many of them are either BUYING, or HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT, DVC! They are either preparing to, or have, dropped tens of thousands of dollars into a timeshare with which they are totally unfamiliar. They bought it, but they have no idea how to make a reservation. They have no concept of even the most basic components of the program.

We see their questions every day here...and honestly, sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: