Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #31
2girlsmom
DIS Veteran

It's a little further than an hour (depending on where), but have you considered the Tampa Bay area? We are just over an hour from Disney, about 1-1/2 from Universal if the traffic is a bit slowed on I4, and I live in Land O Lakes, north of the city of Tampa. LandoLakes High School is rated in the top 10 in the US. Plus we are also within 45 minutes of the beach, which is wonderful, and costs are somewhat lower in the Tampa area than in Orlando area in my experience, since we aren't quite the tourist mecca that Orlando is. Also, Lakeland, which is between Orlando and Tampa, is a nice area, though I can't speak to the schools.

& Lucky
2girlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #32
baby1disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiesfeld07 View Post
I too am looking to move to the Orlando area, once I gain employment. (Which is very difficult. Job market is very competitive in Orlando)

I looked at a place in the Lake Mary area. (Northern suburb) I LOVED it! It was $750 + a month for a basic (gorgeous) apartment. I liked Lake Mary, and Winter Springs because the areas felt more like "towns," instead of tourist and business traps.

As for schools, I am a teacher and I was looking in Lake, Orange, Osceola, and Seminole counties. Seminole county was my favorite. My cousin works in Seminole county and she really likes her school. (Lake Mary and Winter Springs are in Seminole county)

Seminole County is about 30-45 minutes from Disney, on good day. (Depends on traffic)

Happy Hunting! I hope you find a job. I looked last year for a teaching position, and was unlucky. I am hoping to this year!
Hopefully, you can find something and move down!! That would be great...good luck to ya!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfjny View Post
Do you mind if I ask a question. This is just for my own curiosity.

For those of you posting, was Disney and the surrounding tourist area one of the main purposes of purchasing where you did?

The reason why I ask is that I and formerly from Long Island, NY, now living in Charlotte NC. We are big Disney fans, we have our annual passes, and we do make several trips to Disney every year. Our next trip actually being MLK Jr. holiday, where my kids actually have a 4 day weekend, and our trip is just an 8 hour drive.

But, my point was are you living closer to Disney because you plan on going there every Friday Night type of thing? Feel free to replace Disney with your favorite attraction in the Orlando area. Or is it possible that you are hoping to perhaps work there part-time (as a second income, or as something to do in retirement)?

Again, just curious. Thanks.
As far as I'm concerned, I've LOOOOVED Florida since I was little girl. My grandparents use to live in Cape Coral yeeeaaars ago..before it was developed the way it is now and there was just something homey about Florida. I really fell in love with it again when I took my first trip to Disney in Orlando back in 2006. I took a vacation down there last summer and did absolutely nothing!!! And LOVED IT!!! I've always wanted to move but jobs, family, marriage wouldn't allow me. I was even gonna move earlier this winter, but then I met a wonderful man and his kids and I couldn't part from them. Well, now he's dumped me for someone else and we still live together..I know..so this is/was maybe a sign that it's my time to finally move down there. I've been doing a lot of research lately and I've came across some good areas as well as not so good. But, this is my dream and I'll be making it come true very soon!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsmom View Post
It's a little further than an hour (depending on where), but have you considered the Tampa Bay area? We are just over an hour from Disney, about 1-1/2 from Universal if the traffic is a bit slowed on I4, and I live in Land O Lakes, north of the city of Tampa. LandoLakes High School is rated in the top 10 in the US. Plus we are also within 45 minutes of the beach, which is wonderful, and costs are somewhat lower in the Tampa area than in Orlando area in my experience, since we aren't quite the tourist mecca that Orlando is. Also, Lakeland, which is between Orlando and Tampa, is a nice area, though I can't speak to the schools.
I haven't thought about the Tampa area, but maybe I will now. I'm going to go and look at some things there right now!!
OKWw/DF and DS and inlaws--October 2007
AKV w/DH, DS and inlaws--March 2009
SSR w/Inlaws--October 2010
baby1disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #33
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsmom View Post
And, OP, the Cocoa/Melbourne/Palm Bay is only about an hour east of Orlando.
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon
LilGMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #34
wfjny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post

Why in the world would anyone want to move into the tourist area surrounding Disney? It's way too crowded most of the time.
Well, I have to admit, that is what I was thinking.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Back to the OP, it sounds like you have all the signs you need to make your move. Best of luck!

We had plenty of "signs" that the move to Charlotte from LI was the right thing to do for us. From a job almost dropping on my lap, to selling our home in NY in 12 days back in 2010, the signs were there that this was the right move.

Even after our move, storms Irene and Sandy only continued to prove to us this was the correct move for us.

The whole, its Friday, lets drive to Orlando thing is just a plus for my wife

As someone who has lived on LI and Brooklyn my entire life, moving my whole family 600 miles south was the biggest decision and the biggest risk I have ever made. I am amazed at the people I meet who have lived in four, five or six different states. I am so glad we did it!

Again, Best of luck...
wfjny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #35
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfjny
Do you mind if I ask a question. This is just for my own curiosity.

For those of you posting, was Disney and the surrounding tourist area one of the main purposes of purchasing where you did?

The reason why I ask is that I and formerly from Long Island, NY, now living in Charlotte NC. We are big Disney fans, we have our annual passes, and we do make several trips to Disney every year. Our next trip actually being MLK Jr. holiday, where my kids actually have a 4 day weekend, and our trip is just an 8 hour drive.

But, my point was are you living closer to Disney because you plan on going there every Friday Night type of thing? Feel free to replace Disney with your favorite attraction in the Orlando area. Or is it possible that you are hoping to perhaps work there part-time (as a second income, or as something to do in retirement)?

Again, just curious. Thanks.
We moved down initially because my wife really wanted to work for Disney (kinda did and didn't work out though). We started off in Kissimmee, closer to the St Cloud area. But when I finally got a better job (in Apopka), we decided to move closer to there. So now we are in North Orlando (near the Maitland area). And even though it's further from Disney, we really like the area. We're in an apartment right now. But when we eventually start looking for a house, we probably won't stray too far from where we are now. The area is just nicer here than where we were in Kissimmee; and it's a less congested. It is a little more expensive though. But we feel it's worth it.

We were hovering around $650/month in Kissimmee. And like some have said, cheaper priced areas might be trouble spots. For the most of our time there, we didn't have a big problem with anything. Not long before moving, we learned that someone across from us was selling drugs out of their apartment. But to contrast that; our 1st apt in Kissimmee that was only a mile away was just great!!! It was about the same price, and I never heard any word of anything bad really happening. We only moved because they were going condo (that stupid boom). So just make sure you do your research.
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #36
ElliePeters
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Disney had nothing to do with my move here. I moved from a smaller town in Virginia and wanted to live somewhere different with more to do. I was also sick of the cold weather in the winter. Having the theme parks here is just a perk but since I haven't been to WDW in almost two years, I don't miss it. I spend more time at Universal now. It is nice having them right down the road though.

Why in the world would anyone want to move into the tourist area surrounding Disney? It's way too crowded most of the time.
Living around Disney World doesn't mean you are knee deep in tourists. If you live right on Highway 192 or Interstate 4, then yeah, you are in the tourist area. There are so many beautiful suburbs surrounding Disney, and you have to take the time to drive around and look at them all. Now I hear all kinds of things about the Universal and Metro West area, and you couldn't catch me there after dark. Its all on how we each see it, so good luck to everyone who moves here. It is an amazing adventure!!
ElliePeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #37
baby1disney
DIS Veteran

Everyone has been soo helpful with all of the tips and suggestions and I'm soo proud!! I just found out that I might possibly have cancer and this move might be the best thing..I wanna live somewhere where I've always wanted to and this is definitely a place I wanna move to!! I guess my biggest fear is not making friends while I'm down there and that scares me a bit. Thank you once again for all the support and reality checks
OKWw/DF and DS and inlaws--October 2007
AKV w/DH, DS and inlaws--March 2009
SSR w/Inlaws--October 2010
baby1disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #38
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Sending and to you Baby1Disney.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #39
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby1disney
Everyone has been soo helpful with all of the tips and suggestions and I'm soo proud!! I just found out that I might possibly have cancer and this move might be the best thing..I wanna live somewhere where I've always wanted to and this is definitely a place I wanna move to!! I guess my biggest fear is not making friends while I'm down there and that scares me a bit. Thank you once again for all the support and reality checks
There are a lot of locals on these boards. So if anything, you can possibly meet up with other Disney fans once in a while, and maybe make friendships that way.

I know that there are quite a few hobby photographers that met through Flickr; and have developed friendships based on their love of Disney. So I know it's possible.
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #40
jarrdisney
DIS Veteran

First and foremost, I hope everything is going well with your health. That was of the utmost concern when we were preparing our move to Orlando.

Let me preface this post with the fact that we LOVE living in Orlando. It's been nearly 2 years, and we have absolutely NO regrets. We make it work. However, there are many others that don't.

I implore you, if you haven't done so already, to check out the city data forum. It will give you a better, albeit more stark perspective of the city beautiful. Moving is not easy, and Orlando is not all puppies and rainbows. The job market is in the toilet. The pay scale is ridiculously low, and rent is very high compared to the price of homes. Home prices have also started climbing in the more desirable areas. Just to give you an idea, we pay $1250/month for a 2/2, in order to live in a good area. Seminole county will probably be the most bang for your buck area, but you are a good hour from Disney in typical I-4 traffic. Other areas to consider that are most likely out of your price range and in Orange County are; Winter Park, Winter Garden, Gotha, Windermere, Dr. Phillips. Hunters Creek, and Williamsburg.

Please secure a job before moving. I would hate for you to become another statistic, especially with a child. I wish you the best of luck, and I apologize if I come off as harsh, but I needed that slap of reality years ago when we were planning the move, and it helped me a great deal.
jarrdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #41
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry about the potential cancer diagnosis. One concern, if you already have a documented cancer diagnosis, will you be able to get health insurance at your new job? I don't know, it may not be an issue, but it is something to consider.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #42
L-Harper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliePeters View Post
We moved to Florida because of the weather, Disney, and taking on a new adventure for our family. People get stuck in their day to day lives, wondering about that dream- well we decided to LIVE it! I dont regret anything, as it is a learning curve on what you like and don't living in FL. I enjoy being able to drive over to Disney for a meet up with a friend, grab a soda, then head home to do laundry. Its one of the reasons we moved close to it and we have very much enjoyed it. Thanks to whoever posted the link to my blog, www.therelocatedtourist.com, we share the ups and downs of preparing, the moving, and what its like to live here now. Check it out and I hope I can help someone out there. God bless your day!
I am trying to access your blog but it says it's private. I requested permission. I also tried to PM you with no luck. I would LOVE to chat with you about your choice to move to Florida. Just based on this post alone, you sound so much like our story. My husband has quit his job as a 10 year electrical engineer to chase down his dream of having his own business. He is a wood craftsman and we're moving to Florida for MANY reasons, mostly for the much warmer weather than Michigan. Him working out in his unheated garage when it's 3 degrees certainly makes it hard for him to get much done. Not to mention that we absolutely love Disney World and the ocean. I would really like to read your blog and/or talk to you about your journey. If you can, please PM me.

Please vote for my photo in the DIS photo contest! {HERE}
L-Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #43
ElliePeters
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Harper View Post
I am trying to access your blog but it says it's private. I requested permission. I also tried to PM you with no luck. I would LOVE to chat with you about your choice to move to Florida. Just based on this post alone, you sound so much like our story. My husband has quit his job as a 10 year electrical engineer to chase down his dream of having his own business. He is a wood craftsman and we're moving to Florida for MANY reasons, mostly for the much warmer weather than Michigan. Him working out in his unheated garage when it's 3 degrees certainly makes it hard for him to get much done. Not to mention that we absolutely love Disney World and the ocean. I would really like to read your blog and/or talk to you about your journey. If you can, please PM me.
The blog should be easily read now, all the bugs are fixed. Contact me and we can chat!
ElliePeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #44
FloridaDreaming
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliePeters View Post
The blog should be easily read now, all the bugs are fixed. Contact me and we can chat!
I found your blog a while ago and have really enjoyed it. We are finally getting to live our dream and are making the move from Illinois to Winter Park, Fl at the end of this week. It's been so weird to go from saying "Someday, I want to..." to "We are actually going to..."
Old 05-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #45
Dian-er
Mouseketeer

relocate

A couple of thoughts for you.
I don't know where you are moving from, but most of the time the salaries here, in Fl are lower than everywhere else. So don't be surprized by what they offer. One cevat, we don't have a state income tax, but there's sales tax on everything just about & above the state sales tax, each county has there own little % to add on.
There are some really nice areas but you do have to watch. Avoid Metro West as already mentioned. Also, Poinciana is very nice, but traffice is an issue. There is only one main road in/out & at rush hour it is AWFUL!!!!!!!.
Most of Winter Garden is nice, there are some areas to avoid. Avoid Pine Hills.
The Williamsburg area near Seaworld is also nice, but, again there can be traffic issues.
Check out Hunter's Creek too.
Clermont, where I live is nice too, but a little farther out.
Don't contract for anyplace unless you are here to see it & the area.
One thing to know, this is a big state & distances are deceiving.
Dian-er is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: