DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
eodultis
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30

How many points is enough?

I'm thinking of DVC and wondering how many points do I really need? I'm thinking about 100 pts because I would be going every other year. I don't like going to Disney in the summer months because it is way too crowded for my liking and it's too hot as well. I like Sept/ Oct with an occational May. Pertaining to the points....I was just thinking a studio because there is only three of us. That being said, is a studio even worth it for DVC or should I look into a one bedroom?
I've been doing a lot of research on this so far and not planning anything yet because I want to make sure I have all the information possible before spending thousands of dollars....
Any advice would be great! Thanks!
eodultis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 1,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodultis View Post
I'm thinking of DVC and wondering how many points do I really need? I'm thinking about 100 pts because I would be going every other year. I don't like going to Disney in the summer months because it is way too crowded for my liking and it's too hot as well. I like Sept/ Oct with an occational May. Pertaining to the points....I was just thinking a studio because there is only three of us. That being said, is a studio even worth it for DVC or should I look into a one bedroom?
I've been doing a lot of research on this so far and not planning anything yet because I want to make sure I have all the information possible before spending thousands of dollars....
Any advice would be great! Thanks!
How often do you want to go and how long would your stays be? Is your family likely to grow and do you require privacy? Are your travel plans likely to change with school schedules? Where do you feel you must stay? You need to look at the points charts and decide how many points would be right for your needs right now but give yourself a little wiggle room.

We find the studios worth it with DVC for the 2 of us. The 1brs are really nice, a splurge for just us but we like them occasionally. Don't think we could ever go back to regular hotel rooms......we've been spoiled.....even in studios.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
eodultis
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
How often do you want to go and how long would your stays be? Is your family likely to grow and do you require privacy? Are your travel plans likely to change with school schedules? Where do you feel you must stay? You need to look at the points charts and decide how many points would be right for your needs right now but give yourself a little wiggle room.

We find the studios worth it with DVC for the 2 of us. The 1brs are really nice, a splurge for just us but we like them occasionally. Don't think we could ever go back to regular hotel rooms......we've been spoiled.....even in studios.


We would go every other year for about seven nights. I really don't plan on changing schedules with schools --- I'm big on pulling em out and rolling to WDW during least crowded times. The one bedroom looks nice, but I'm not one for cooking on vacation. Also I'm not one for hanging out in the room all day either. I've been playing around with the points, but I'm still unsure of the number. I'm thinking 100 with banking and borrowing to go every other year.
I'll be pondering this for a while yet because I'm really waiting for POLY DVC to come. I love that resort and the seven seas lagoon area.
eodultis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
AllieV
DIS Veteran
 
AllieV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: the cold and smoggy northeast
Posts: 877

I have 100 points and I've calculated it's enough for us to go in a 1-br every other year for just under a week. If you are planning on studios, it's plenty for a week or 10 days. You could even carry over some points and do a 1-br every second trip or split the stay with a 1-br at one resort and a studio at the next.

If you go to David's site, it has a point calculator. His ad used to be across the top, not sure where it went. Punch in some dates and see how many you need. Keep in mind you'll have 200 to work with every other year if you have a 100 pt contract.
__________________
************************************************** ******
AllieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
eodultis
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30

Thank you so much! I will visit his site and see what I come up with. For some reason I tried that on the boards and it keeps saying the 2013 pts aren't out yet, so it won't let me do the math.
eodultis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodultis View Post
We would go every other year for about seven nights. I really don't plan on changing schedules with schools --- I'm big on pulling em out and rolling to WDW during least crowded times. The one bedroom looks nice, but I'm not one for cooking on vacation. Also I'm not one for hanging out in the room all day either. I've been playing around with the points, but I'm still unsure of the number. I'm thinking 100 with banking and borrowing to go every other year.
I'll be pondering this for a while yet because I'm really waiting for POLY DVC to come. I love that resort and the seven seas lagoon area.
If you only plan on going every other year, don't plan on using the kitchen or even really enjoying just sitting in the villa, why not continue to just book directly with Disney with some of their deals? Most studios have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa except for OKW which has two queen beds. Studios only sleep four.

We are also a family of three and always get at least a one bedroom villa, just to enjoy the space. This trip we had a two bedroom dedicated and had one additional person with us. The space was tremendous and really utilized.

The best part of DVC is enjoying the villa and using the amenities of the villa.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV
 
puffkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 8,910

I also don't see DVC as being a great value for you if you are only going every other year and aren't that interested in a lot of the DVC amenities or perks (extra space, kitchen, resort ambiance, AP discount, etc).

If you figure in dues for 2 year ($1200 approx) plus the yearly breakdown of the upfront cost of buying the points, you really aren't saving any money. Between the deals Disney offers and/or by renting points instead you will probably come out better and not locked into a huge commitment.

If you think your vacation plans will change (ie going to WDW more) in the future, a 100 point contract may be a great way to get your feet wet. But if you don't see that happening, I don't really think it would be worth it in your case.
__________________
~Kelly~

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
AllieV
DIS Veteran
 
AllieV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: the cold and smoggy northeast
Posts: 877

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodultis View Post
For some reason I tried that on the boards and it keeps saying the 2013 pts aren't out yet, so it won't let me do the math.
2013 has been out a while. 2014 is out now. Maybe a glitch.

Even if you don't plan to use the kitchen (we don't), you'll like having a fridge for snacks and drinks. And that soaking tub is to die for.
__________________
************************************************** ******
AllieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 1,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieV View Post
Even if you don't plan to use the kitchen (we don't), you'll like having a fridge for snacks and drinks. And that soaking tub is to die for.
I never, ever thought I would want to use the kitchen. Hey, I'm on vacation!! I won't be cooking. Now I know that DVC changes the way that we vacation. When we have the full kitchen is seems such a waste to not use it so we have started to have breakfast in the villa. A great way to start the day. In fact we brought a small electric skillet on our last trip and used it in our studios.

Fridge is great for those snacks drinks and leftovers we bring back to the room!!
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
a742246
older than dirt
 
a742246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodultis View Post
I'm thinking of DVC and wondering how many points do I really need? I'm thinking about 100 pts because I would be going every other year. I don't like going to Disney in the summer months because it is way too crowded for my liking and it's too hot as well. I like Sept/ Oct with an occational May. Pertaining to the points....I was just thinking a studio because there is only three of us. That being said, is a studio even worth it for DVC or should I look into a one bedroom?
I've been doing a lot of research on this so far and not planning anything yet because I want to make sure I have all the information possible before spending thousands of dollars....
Any advice would be great! Thanks!
If you are only going every other year for 7 days in a studio, you can probably get away with a 50 point contract. You can always add another contract in the future if that's not enough. If you need a couple of extra points, Disney rents them for 15 a point for an max of 24 points.
PS I think a studio should be fine for you.

Last edited by a742246; 01-22-2013 at 07:20 AM.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,162

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffkin View Post
If you figure in dues for 2 year ($1200 approx) plus the yearly breakdown of the upfront cost of buying the points, you really aren't saving any money. Between the deals Disney offers and/or by renting points instead you will probably come out better and not locked into a huge commitment.
200 points is enough for 12-16 consecutive nights in a Studio in most resorts / views every-other-year during the seasons OP mentioned. I'd say that's a pretty good value for $1000-1200 in dues considering the cash rates of those rooms run $350-400 per night plus 12.5% tax. Disney may offer some decent cash discounts...but they aren't discounting 75-80% off rack.

As for OP's original question, the proper number of points for ANY buyer is the intersection of the number of points you can safely USE with the number of points you can comfortably AFFORD.

As I said, 100 points is enough to get you a Studio for more than 2 weeks every-other-year. If that's more days than you would choose to vacation at WDW, then 100 is too many. Of course, upgrading to a One Bedroom villa changes the numbers entirely. Most people are bound by available vacation time, school schedules and other factors which limit their ability to travel. Don't buy more points than you'll be able to use.

At the same time, finances are important too. DVC points secure the accommodations only. Depending upon your location and size of your family, you may have to budget thousands more every trip for transportation (airfare), park tickets, food and other expenses. The point purchase itself may sound very manageable if you're only looking at (approx) $200 per month for the points + annual dues, but you may need to save hundreds or thousands of additional dollars every year for the full Disney vacation experience.

As a cash guest, you can always forego trips if (when) greater financial concerns arise. As a DVC member, those monthly debits keep happening whether you use the points or not.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV
 
puffkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 8,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
200 points is enough for 12-16 consecutive nights in a Studio in most resorts / views every-other-year during the seasons OP mentioned. I'd say that's a pretty good value for $1000-1200 in dues considering the cash rates of those rooms run $350-400 per night plus 12.5% tax. Disney may offer some decent cash discounts...but they aren't discounting 75-80% off rack.

As for OP's original question, the proper number of points for ANY buyer is the intersection of the number of points you can safely USE with the number of points you can comfortably AFFORD.

As I said, 100 points is enough to get you a Studio for more than 2 weeks every-other-year. If that's more days than you would choose to vacation at WDW, then 100 is too many. Of course, upgrading to a One Bedroom villa changes the numbers entirely. Most people are bound by available vacation time, school schedules and other factors which limit their ability to travel. Don't buy more points than you'll be able to use.

At the same time, finances are important too. DVC points secure the accommodations only. Depending upon your location and size of your family, you may have to budget thousands more every trip for transportation (airfare), park tickets, food and other expenses. The point purchase itself may sound very manageable if you're only looking at (approx) $200 per month for the points + annual dues, but you may need to save hundreds or thousands of additional dollars every year for the full Disney vacation experience.

As a cash guest, you can always forego trips if (when) greater financial concerns arise. As a DVC member, those monthly debits keep happening whether you use the points or not.
I agree with what you say.....IF the OP is interested in the level of Disney Deluxe/DVC accomodations. If the OP would be just as satisfied with Moderate or Value resort type accomodations, then DVC may not be the best value for them. At best, probably a break even with the added issue of being locked in long term should their vacation needs change.

The OP stated that they are not interested in the larger units or spending a lot of time at the resort so that leads me to believe they may not be as interested in a deluxe. An assumption on my part, and we all know what they say about assumptions, but I think it is good for a potential buyer to consider all sides and really think about what they value in a vacation. If not for the OP, it may help out someone else lurking.
__________________
~Kelly~

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
eodultis
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30

Hello! This is the OP!

I've been to Disney several times in my life. The last three trips have been every other year from 2010 down to 2006. I've always stayed at the POLY with the exception of the GF I stayed at in 2010. I've always stayed at the Deluxe resorts....they say once you go deluxe you never go back to any other type of resort.
I could see buying 50 pts for only the studio, but I could afford to buy 100pts. If and when I do purchase, I'm paying cash via resale. I don't want the loans or anything like that.
I'm just wondering if a studio is worth it joining the DVC environment. I bet that if I do upgrade to a one bedroom villa, then I won't go back to the studio....just like above with the deluxe resorts! I mainly go to the parks, with an occasional day or two hanging at the resort -- swimming and boats etc.
So really it does come back to the number of points I would really need. I might just stick with the 100 pt contract in the event that I find myself at the 1 bedroom villa. But I'm really hoping that the POLY comes with DVC soon! I just love that resort!
Believe me, I check periodically and I am taking all advice into consideration..
Thanks for all you help and advice! Very much appreciated by all!!
eodultis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodultis View Post
Hello! This is the OP!

I've been to Disney several times in my life. The last three trips have been every other year from 2010 down to 2006. I've always stayed at the POLY with the exception of the GF I stayed at in 2010. I've always stayed at the Deluxe resorts....they say once you go deluxe you never go back to any other type of resort.
I could see buying 50 pts for only the studio, but I could afford to buy 100pts. If and when I do purchase, I'm paying cash via resale. I don't want the loans or anything like that.
I'm just wondering if a studio is worth it joining the DVC environment. I bet that if I do upgrade to a one bedroom villa, then I won't go back to the studio....just like above with the deluxe resorts! I mainly go to the parks, with an occasional day or two hanging at the resort -- swimming and boats etc.
So really it does come back to the number of points I would really need. I might just stick with the 100 pt contract in the event that I find myself at the 1 bedroom villa. But I'm really hoping that the POLY comes with DVC soon! I just love that resort!
Believe me, I check periodically and I am taking all advice into consideration..
Thanks for all you help and advice! Very much appreciated by all!!
I think that long term staying in a DVC studio instead of a Deluxe hotel room will save you money on lodging. However, if you get accustomed to the 1 BR lifestyle, it's going to cost you. Take a look at the point requirements for a 1 BR, they're frequently double the cost of a studio. Don't get me wrong, there's still value there as having the kitchen and separate living space are awesome. But it'll change the contract you need and the number of points you spend each trip significantly.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
staceymay00
DIS Veteran
 
staceymay00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC

I think that long term staying in a DVC studio instead of a Deluxe hotel room will save you money on lodging. However, if you get accustomed to the 1 BR lifestyle, it's going to cost you.
And if you get accustomed to the 2BR lifestyle, it's really going to cost you!! We love the extra space, though. The square footage, the kitchen (for an easy breakfast and snacks in the villa, not so much for real cooking), the washer/dryer...that is why we bought into DVC. It is not saving us money, but we are getting a lot more space for close to what we were spending on discounted deluxe resort rooms that sleep five. We have 150 points at OKW...not enough for every year in a 2BR when we travel, but it will be perfect if we ever start skipping every other year. We might add on one day, or we may just continue to be creative in adding a cash night or two, or staying off site once every few years.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
staceymay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.