Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #31
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Know wonder why.....NCL?.....THE WORST cruise line ever we have sailed. That alone answers your question of why the poor service.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #32
yarlenna
Mouseketeer

If you in the Orlando area - and really want lots of lobster try "boston lobster feast". You can also get coupons on line. The place is not fancy, but the lobster is worth the drive to me.
yarlenna is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #33
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta
Know wonder why.....NCL?.....THE WORST cruise line ever we have sailed. That alone answers your question of why the poor service.
I think you have a point. With the freestyle dining on NCL passengers do not have the same servers each night. There was no incentive to be especially kind or speedy, as servers would likely not wait on those passengers again. After one painful three hour dinner one night, we paid the up charge for specialty restaurants every night after that. And you know what? I think that was NCL's plan all along. Brilliant. . We won't cruise again with them either.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #34
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
I think you have a point. With the freestyle dining on NCL passengers do not have the same servers each night. There was no incentive to be especially kind or speedy, as servers would likely not wait on those passengers again. After one painful three hour dinner one night, we paid the up charge for specialty restaurants every night after that. And you know what? I think that was NCL's plan all along. Brilliant. . We won't cruise again with them either.
I had no idea about NCL!!

And we were considering sailing the Epic over the Maguc this summer for the Med.

What ship was this?
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #35
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

It is not Maine Lobster but it is still very good
I always order 2 Once had 3
bceagle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #36
jlynch924
Mousin' Around

Our servers kept bringing more lobster on our recent DCL Magic cruise... He brought me two and three for my husband, all without asking!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

WDW 1972, 1977, 1982 (Epcot Opening), 1995, 2005
DCL Wonder 9/2007, Dream 9/2011, Magic 12/2012, Dream 11/2014

jlynch924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #37
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I had no idea about NCL!!

And we were considering sailing the Epic over the Maguc this summer for the Med.

What ship was this?
All NCL ships feature "free style dining" where there is one main dining room and various "specialty" resturaunts. You eat at any time you walk into the main dining room where you make reservations in the specialty areas that feature Italian, French, Steak, Japanese etc. There is a charge for eating in each venue. The food in the main dining was HORRIBLE and service TERRIBLE IMO. That forces you to eat in the other venues where we found the food lacking. There is a reason why the cost of the cruise is less because they whack you when you get on board. The difference is really eveident when you cruise Disney and then go to NCL. Royal Caribbean is a good substitute IMO if you want a less expensive alternative to Disney. I for one would never sail NCL again even if they offered a free cruise. But some people like it...to each their own.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #38
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta

All NCL ships feature "free style dining" where there is one main dining room and various "specialty" resturaunts. You eat at any time you walk into the main dining room where you make reservations in the specialty areas that feature Italian, French, Steak, Japanese etc. There is a charge for eating in each venue. The food in the main dining was HORRIBLE and service TERRIBLE IMO. That forces you to eat in the other venues where we found the food lacking. There is a reason why the cost of the cruise is less because they whack you when you get on board. The difference is really eveident when you cruise Disney and then go to NCL. Royal Caribbean is a good substitute IMO if you want a less expensive alternative to Disney. I for one would never sail NCL again even if they offered a free cruise. But some people like it...to each their own.
We ate at the upsell steak place (Cagneys, I think) and a French one. This was a four day cruise. Both were good and the service was good too, but no better than you would receive in the MDRs on Disney or RCCL. I liked NCL many years ago before the dining change, but it really isn't our style now.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #39
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
Well that does explain alot about our server's "style" since he was from NCL. He didn't really fit in with the rest of the group.

Had no idea about NCL...I've actually heard some good reviews. I wonder if the newer ships are nicer? But I guess company culture is what it is....

Back to the lobsters--they were big portions (I think 8 oz/per lobster). If you really like them I'd say 2-3 would make a great meal. We did skip dessert that day though

Last edited by lilpooh108; 01-21-2013 at 01:29 PM.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #40
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

When consider NCL the cost of most resturants is like $30
We are family of 5 that $150 a night for 7 nights thats another $1050
bceagle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #41
kpaulson
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I had a "stick in the mud" server on our last trip. He was really uptight and would get stressed out at small things. (My head server would roll his eyes at him and My assistant server made fun of him under her breath...) The team dynamic was weird.

Well anyway...on lobster night I ordered 2 for myself and 1 extra for DH and I to split. He tried to tell me "no," and said that I might not finish them. It was just the way he said it. I am small but I eat ALOT.

We ordered 2 for me, 1 for DH and a meat dish... and finished everything...but it was just annoying since having been on other DCL trips, I've never been scolded for ordering food.

So yes, you can order as many as you want in theory. But depending on your server, you might get some resistance.

We had a server like that...my mother wanted 2 entrees as she wasn't sure she would like either and our server said she couldn't...shrugged it off and each ordered one of what she wanted and just shared. The rest of the people at the table kept giving us strange looks the whole cruise as we would end up sharing or swapping dinners completely..both on the picky side and are used to *simple* foods
kpaulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #42
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well that does explain alot about our server's "style" since he was from NCL. He didn't really fit in with the rest of the group.

Had no idea about NCL...I've actually heard some good reviews. I wonder if the newer ships are nicer? But I guess company culture is what it is....

Back to the lobsters--they were big portions (I think 8 oz/per lobster). If you really like them I'd say 2-3 would make a great meal. We did skip dessert that day though
Here's a picture from our Hawaii cruise. Someone else at the table ordered it.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #43
SunshineCruiser
Mouseketeer

Our servers were amazing, and when they saw us eat the lobster and enjoy it they quickly brought out another without us asking. It was like that with lots of things. Especially with appetizers and desserts, if you are trying to decide between 2 things and you ended up picking 1, you just might end up with both anyway. I tasted my husbands desert and quietly said "oh I should have got that instead", but the waiter was within earshot and out came one for me! In my experience they bend over backwards for their tips and it certainly doesn't matter to them how many servings they bring you. I don't think most people want to over eat anyway because the next meal is right around the corner and you have to save room for your next snack, and I don't think most of us have expandable pants! I know that on the nights that I didn't order a dessert the waiter looked disappointed, almost hurt that he couldn't bring me something.
SunshineCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #44
Canadave
I've always found those last few days not very productive at work
Splash Mountain is #1 for an overall Disney experience

curious...I assume the lobster comes with melted butter...is the butter served with butter warmers (candle underneath) or is it just on the side?

Jan./Feb. 2000 - All Star Movies
Jan./Feb. 2002 - All Star Music
Jan./Feb. 2004 - Pop Century
February 2006 - Pop Century
February 2009 - Pop Century
February 2012 - Disneyland
Apr./May 2014 - Pop Century...then Disney Cruise on the Fantasy
Canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #45
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadave View Post
curious...I assume the lobster comes with melted butter...is the butter served with butter warmers (candle underneath) or is it just on the side?
I don't recall butter on the side. But I would hazard a guess, no. No open flames onboard.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: