Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #16
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

on one of our 7 day'rs spousal unit and I did Palo on Capt'n's nite. We did this fully knowing what we were doing and advised our server the night b4 so he would not be concerned. Our Palo ressie was our regular dinner time so we were done about the same time as regular late seating and went to the room to change for some night deck time. There was a knock at the door; here was our server who brought in a plate STACKED with lobster - "I didn't want you to miss out."

We didn't have the heart to tell him we did Palo cuz we really don't go gaga for lobster .... but it did make for a crazy snack on deck with a little grape and everyone else munching on pizza!

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
super mike b
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I had a "stick in the mud" server on our last trip. He was really uptight and would get stressed out at small things. (My head server would roll his eyes at him and My assistant server made fun of him under her breath...) The team dynamic was weird.
I hate that happened to you. Great table service is one of the best parts of a Disney cruise.
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

. . . DH, who is a lover of lobster, doesn't really care for it (as a matter of fact, he says it's not good at all). But, you can order as many of them as you wish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Queen View Post

We just got off the Fantasy yesterday.

. . . As a PP mentioned, they serve lobster tails at the Captain's Gala dinner. The tails they served were big, but were tough and had very little flavor.
I was on the Fantasy last month and found the lobster tail bland and tough. Next time I'll order something else.

Woody
woody73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #19
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threehorses View Post
can I have more if I want...
Yes, but the night before they serve the lobster they will ask you how many you want. They are BIG! Our server convinced my husband to only reserve two and he was right. My husband was full and didn't need a third. They were yummy!
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #20
huskydogg
Mouseketeer

I've had it twice on the Wonder and while it was something special that I don't get at home due to the cost of it where I live, it wasn't spectacular in flavor and texture. At least not enough for me to want to have 2.
What I do love to do though is order the steak entree and also the lobster entree. That gives me my own surf and turf and I really enjoy that mix myself. If you don't think you can eat 2 full entrees, order the full entree of the one with the side that looks more appealing to you and then order just the main (steak or lobster tail) of the second.
I would personally always do this on Captain's Night and plan to this coming February
Old 01-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Fresh Maine Lobster cooked correctly can be sublime. The frozen rock "lobsters" that Disney overcooks are just nasty. No flavor and very tough. No thanks.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #22
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
Fresh Maine Lobster cooked correctly can be sublime. The frozen rock "lobsters" that Disney overcooks are just nasty. No flavor and very tough. No thanks.
Agree! I grew up in RI so we used to get lobster off the boats. I LOVE lobster and looked forward to it on our 8 night. So much that I ordered two. It was the worst lobster I have ever had in my entire life and on top of it, it wasn't served with butter, a baked potato and corn lol. I wish I didn't order it and know better for the next time.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #23
texasgirl73
Obsessive Trip Planner

I love lobster but didn't want to order for fear that it wouldn't be good. My daughter wanted some and was looking forward to it. She was not impressed. I tried it and I am gald I didn't order it....it's a shame to see lobster mistreated like that!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #24
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl73 View Post

. . . it's a shame to see lobster mistreated like that!
LOL!

Woody
woody73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #25
daipp
Proud to be Welsh

Lobster is one of the highlights of our Disney Cruise for my wife - she loves it.

David
daipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #26
KBT35
Mouseketeer

I wonder with Disney being so accommodating....if you could ask for it to be prepared differently? Maybe grilled would lend a bit more flavor or even flash fried! Hmmmmmmm
My Aunt's 65th Birthday Dream Surprise May 26th-30th 2013
KBT35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #27
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

There's more to it than preparation. Two years ago we had lobster two nights on the Wonder WBPC cruise. The first night it was bleah. The 2nd night the lobster was tender and flavorful. The waiter said the lobster came from different parts of the world. Neither was from Maine (my fave) but the 2nd night's lobster was definitely better than the first.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
KBT35
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
There's more to it than preparation. Two years ago we had lobster two nights on the Wonder WBPC cruise. The first night it was bleah. The 2nd night the lobster was tender and flavorful. The waiter said the lobster came from different parts of the world. Neither was from Maine (my fave) but the 2nd night's lobster was definitely better than the first.
Oh I know there's more to it than just preparation BUT preparation can indeed enhance the flavor and minimize the opportunity for toughness.
My Aunt's 65th Birthday Dream Surprise May 26th-30th 2013
KBT35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #29
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I had a "stick in the mud" server on our last trip. He was really uptight and would get stressed out at small things. (My head server would roll his eyes at him and My assistant server made fun of him under her breath...) The team dynamic was weird.

Well anyway...on lobster night I ordered 2 for myself and 1 extra for DH and I to split. He tried to tell me "no," and said that I might not finish them. It was just the way he said it. I am small but I eat ALOT.
.... I've never been scolded for ordering food.
Sounds like one of the servers we had years ago. Did his name start with a G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBT35 View Post
Oh I know there's more to it than just preparation BUT preparation can indeed enhance the flavor and minimize the opportunity for toughness.
We have always enjoyed the lobster on the Magic/Wonder. I was surprised that they could prepare it and have it turn out so tender. What a disappointment the lobster on the Fantasy was on the MV. We thought the additional count in the MDR contributed to that, perhaps it is just too many.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #30
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by super mike b View Post
I hate that happened to you. Great table service is one of the best parts of a Disney cruise.
Thanks. Yeah, we were disappointed with our server but we LOVED our assistant server so she more than made up for it. This was our 4th cruise and it wasn't the worse service we had (that was on the Dream, about 4 months after the ship started cruising--gah that service was awful...it took 3 hours daily to get through dinner).

It was obvious that our server's personality wasn't a right fit for Disney. Interestingly, he told us that his last jobs were with: (1) Norwegian Cruise Line; and (2) a gambling ship in Hong Kong. I thought this was particularly interesting because I could see that he already had developed his "serving" personality/style a certain way. Maybe NCL trained him differently. His personality was very different than those attuned with the Disney Cruise Line culture. He was very "frugal" and acted put off fairly easily. I will say though, that our head server was a b*llbuster. He took no crap from anybody. So it was probably very difficult to work for him. It just made us very uncomfortable to watch the dynamic the whole week. Our assistant server was easygoing, and she kind of laughed it off. It must be hard to deal with that week after week, though. He probably wasn't helping his team getting any bonus time off if he was getting bad reviews. There was alot of tension in our team.

We still managed to have a very good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Sounds like one of the servers we had years ago. Did his name start with a G?

We have always enjoyed the lobster on the Magic/Wonder. I was surprised that they could prepare it and have it turn out so tender. What a disappointment the lobster on the Fantasy was on the MV. We thought the additional count in the MDR contributed to that, perhaps it is just too many.
No, he's relatively new (about 1 year with Disney, before that with NCL). His name starts with an H. I think ironically, he felt very comfortable with us because we tried to chat with him and make him comfortable. In turn, he started complaining alot and saying inappropriate things. He was very homesick and I felt bad for him, but the service was just really not up to par.

~~Lobster on the Wonder~~ I really thought it was great. My parents (who did Alaska on the Wonder in 2010) also thought it was great. They were on the Fantasy in November 2012 and they said the food overall was not impressive, and that the lobster was not very good at all. Perhaps its because they had too many plates to prepare. I love the food on the classic ships. I thought the food on the Dream was hit or miss.

Last edited by lilpooh108; 01-20-2013 at 09:04 PM.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: