Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
IamErica
Mouseketeer
 
IamErica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 159

Rental cars, Orlando

Hey all!
I am trying to ppiece together a quick trip to Florida with my son to go visit Busch Gardens. The flights into Orlando are MUCH cheaper than the ones into Tampa so I was thinking of renting a car at the airport and driving to Tampa and maybe the Gulf coast. Does anyone have any experience with the rental companies? I have found some REALLY cheap ones (Payless, EZ Rental, Styx for a few examples) however the reviews are a mixed bag. Hertz and Budget are more familiar to me but also a bit more spendy.
We really want to go to BG since my son is a HUGE thrill seeker and coaster fan and I was told is has more for him than SW.
Can ya help a girl out?

Are there any other transportation options I should consider?
__________________
Erica DS Cody(17)
Nala Velma Scobby Doo
Disney World ~Off site 1985
Disney World ~Pop Century February 2008
Disney World/ Universal Studios ~All Stars Music: Family trip Februaruy 2010
California girls trip/ Universal Studios Hollywood ~ March 2011
RCCL Caribbean cruise February 2012~ Mother and son trip
Gulf Coast & Busch Gardens ~Treasure Bay Hotel and Marina/ Sea World ~ Residence Inn by Marriott at SW ~February 2013
IamErica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
ncfamily
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 43

I always use expedia and usually enterprise is only a few dollars more/day than all those other companies you named. Best bet is to book using expedia. You can keep checking every few weeks to see if they have a better deal. If they do, then cancel and rebook.
ncfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
skmoore07
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfamily View Post
I always use expedia and usually enterprise is only a few dollars more/day than all those other companies you named. Best bet is to book using expedia. You can keep checking every few weeks to see if they have a better deal. If they do, then cancel and rebook.
Same experience here...expedia normally seems cheaper...and doesn't charge for spouses as an additional driver. Check priceline, but then just book through actual site for the one that comes up the cheapest. I've found that the night before a holiday or on the holiday seem to be the best times to check the prices and make the reservation. You do not have to any more than your name and type of card you are using, so you will not get charged a dime for cancelling.
skmoore07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
callieskye
Disney Dreamin
 
callieskye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: nova scotia,canada
Posts: 32

We always book through Budget, discount codes for all major companies are on Mousesavers.com, great savings. Code W810011.
callieskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
RabFlmom
DIS Veteran
 
RabFlmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Space Coast
Posts: 1,770

Just curious...is the flight that much cheaper that it will bereally worth it-figure in the gas on expenses too.

I am thinking if I were planning on just spending my vacation in Tampa area that I would opt just for the flight there and not have the hassle of driving approximately an hour and a half on I-4(depending on traffic etc) to get there and the same to get back to Orlando . I hate that driver. <g> I would also check on package deals, flight,car, hotel. Also if flyinging into Tampa check on free shuttles to the hotel from airport and then to BG from the hotel. It might make the flight there equal to flying into Orlando and driving over.
__________________
Rabflmom
RabFlmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
IamErica
Mouseketeer
 
IamErica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabFlmom View Post
Just curious...is the flight that much cheaper that it will bereally worth it-figure in the gas on expenses too.

I am thinking if I were planning on just spending my vacation in Tampa area that I would opt just for the flight there and not have the hassle of driving approximately an hour and a half on I-4(depending on traffic etc) to get there and the same to get back to Orlando . I hate that driver. <g> I would also check on package deals, flight,car, hotel. Also if flyinging into Tampa check on free shuttles to the hotel from airport and then to BG from the hotel. It might make the flight there equal to flying into Orlando and driving over.
I have been adding everything up and the difference is a few hundred dollars... which is a big deal. I am still researching everything and hoping the flight prices will drop. It would be SOOOOO much easier to fly to Tampa and not have to worry about the car, however, we would need to rent one to get to the beach, so I am still looking at a rental cost and some gas.
I wish I lived in the south, then I wouldn't have to "escape" the negative temperatures.
__________________
Erica DS Cody(17)
Nala Velma Scobby Doo
Disney World ~Off site 1985
Disney World ~Pop Century February 2008
Disney World/ Universal Studios ~All Stars Music: Family trip Februaruy 2010
California girls trip/ Universal Studios Hollywood ~ March 2011
RCCL Caribbean cruise February 2012~ Mother and son trip
Gulf Coast & Busch Gardens ~Treasure Bay Hotel and Marina/ Sea World ~ Residence Inn by Marriott at SW ~February 2013
IamErica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
hydrotony
DIS Veteran
 
hydrotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 598

Remember that Tampa Bay area has 2 airports. Tampa Int. and Clearwater/St.Pete. Make sure your cost searches include both.
__________________
Magic Kingdom - 1978, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014
EPCOT - 1985, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014
Disney MGM/Hollywood Studios - 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014
Animal Kingdom - 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014
Universal Studios Florida - 1997, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014
Islands Of Adventure - 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014
Six Flags Great Adventure - 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 & 2000
Busch Gardens Tampa - 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014
Busch Gardens Williamsburg - 1984, 1993 & 2013
SeaWorld Orlando - 2012, 2013 & 2014
hydrotony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
IamErica
Mouseketeer
 
IamErica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrotony View Post
Remember that Tampa Bay area has 2 airports. Tampa Int. and Clearwater/St.Pete. Make sure your cost searches include both.
Thanks or the tip. Can't seem to find flights to PIE (Clearwater). At least not from Minneapolis using Delta. We have a credit with Delta so we can't use anyone else.
Bummer!

The prices DID GO DOWN today... for both destinations.
__________________
Erica DS Cody(17)
Nala Velma Scobby Doo
Disney World ~Off site 1985
Disney World ~Pop Century February 2008
Disney World/ Universal Studios ~All Stars Music: Family trip Februaruy 2010
California girls trip/ Universal Studios Hollywood ~ March 2011
RCCL Caribbean cruise February 2012~ Mother and son trip
Gulf Coast & Busch Gardens ~Treasure Bay Hotel and Marina/ Sea World ~ Residence Inn by Marriott at SW ~February 2013
IamErica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
tlkgt76
"If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney
 
tlkgt76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamErica View Post
Hey all!
I am trying to ppiece together a quick trip to Florida with my son to go visit Busch Gardens. The flights into Orlando are MUCH cheaper than the ones into Tampa so I was thinking of renting a car at the airport and driving to Tampa and maybe the Gulf coast. Does anyone have any experience with the rental companies? I have found some REALLY cheap ones (Payless, EZ Rental, Styx for a few examples) however the reviews are a mixed bag. Hertz and Budget are more familiar to me but also a bit more spendy.
We really want to go to BG since my son is a HUGE thrill seeker and coaster fan and I was told is has more for him than SW.
Can ya help a girl out?

Are there any other transportation options I should consider?
For our December 2011 trip, I used the Name Your Own Price option on Priceline. I got a four door rental car (I think it was a Chevy Impala) from Hertz at Orlando Airport for 14 days and it was only $160 with tax. I didn't think that price was too bad for two weeks.
__________________
Tracie
"Big Red Boat" and CBR - March 1987
Pop - July 2007
ASM - September 2009
Pop/AKL - December 2011
Disney Dream/Poly/CBR-Pirate - March/April 2013
Disneyland Hotel - September 2014


Last edited by tlkgt76; 01-21-2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: forgot the word "airport" after Orlando
tlkgt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
robinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 31,020

Go to the Transportation Board and find the car rental thread for your month. You will find people who share coupons and specials for the same time period you are planning to travel. You can also search there for the other more "off-brand" car rental places to see what other people have reported.
__________________
DVC Member since 1997
Walt Disney World 2013 * Disneyland Paris 2012 * Disneyland 2011 * Hong Kong Disneyland 2007 * Tokyo Disneyland 2007
robinb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney
 
Metro West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NW Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,390
DISboards Moderator

Since this thread has nothing to do with SeaWorld, I'm moving it to the Transportation board.
__________________
**** Universal Orlando annual passholder since 2004! ****
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.