Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #121
luvmygrljb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse Mom
I have been wanting to do this ... my son turns 7 on May 3rd ... he is athletic and I pretend to be (lost 65 lbs this year soooo....) why not do the
5K -- is there an age cut off (is 7 too young>>>>) --- I saw that there is a Family Edition at WDW Sports at 11 am .... IDK what that is really about ... I know he would love the individual kid races, too .... any advice would be greatly appreciate d..... and yes, those clues would be impossible to figure out unless I had internet access
Rundisney told me its a family friendly version of the actual challenge...only a mile or so. Age requirement is 9 for EEC.

luvmygrljb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #122
hungrygreenhippo
Mouseketeer

Yay, I'm officially registered for EEC!

My boyfriend's mom is doing Tinkerbell and helped me register at the Expo this morning so I was able to save $10... Not much, but it'll buy me a couple cupcakes during the trip.
hungrygreenhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #123
RangerPooh
It's the little things that make our day
It was a nice surprise to find to find when I returned home from work

Since our family trip to WDW coincides with the race dates I'm planning to run the 5k. I'm currently trying to convince DH to do it with me, but he has some training to do. I've read that you need to keep to a set mile pace or else you'll be removed from the course. I have a few questions about this that I'm hoping you can answer.

1) If you get removed from the race do you not get your medal?

2) If you're part of a team do they also remove the other person?

3) Are they very strict with the pace time?

4) My husband is envisioning being picked up by a pickup (in mind it looks like a paddy wagon, lol) with a bunch of sad looking contestants in it. So what does it actually look like?

5) Do you see many people walking? That's what he's more likely to do while I walk/jog.

6) Team names, eek! I'm so not creative.

Thanks!

Disneyland Wedding 6.02.2003
RangerPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #124
luvmygrljb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerPooh
Since our family trip to WDW coincides with the race dates I'm planning to run the 5k. I'm currently trying to convince DH to do it with me, but he has some training to do. I've read that you need to keep to a set mile pace or else you'll be removed from the course. I have a few questions about this that I'm hoping you can answer.

4) My husband is envisioning being picked up by a pickup (in mind it looks like a paddy wagon, lol) with a bunch of sad looking contestants in it. So what does it actually look like?

5) Do you see many people walking? That's what he's more likely to do while I walk/jog.

Thanks!
I believe you still get the medal.

You are supposed to have a 16 minute per mile pace...however, they don't start until the last person of the last corral crosses the finish line.

I see lots of people walking. I did this race last year. I was not physically fit, walking more than jogging the race and I still managed a 14 minute mile.

I am not creative and picked my last name as my team name.

I can't answer how they pick you up. I'm sure you will be fine!!!

luvmygrljb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #125
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerPooh View Post

Thanks!
1) With other RunDisney events, if you get swept you usually don't get your medal.

2) Last year you needed your team mate to cross the finish line.

3) They are far stricter with this 5K than other 5K's.

4) For a 5K, its a big golf cart.

5) A ton of people walk, like the previous poster said. You may be surprised how quick your pace may be.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #126
Cant wait for Disney
DIS Veteran

hi! total running newbie here! DH has done a half and a full here at home, but ive hardly even ever run! We wanted to try a rundisney event together and thought the 5K would be a good place for me to start. We cant go til the 2014 race but was wondering, can we expect it to be the first weekend in may again? when do the dates come out so you can plan your trip? thank you for the info!!

me (31) dh (33) DS (3) DS (1)

1st trip-off site 1990's, 2nd-Wilderness Lodge, 3rd-Disney Cruise, 4th-Boardwalk Inn 5th-1999 class trip offsite, 6th-2001 class trip-All Star Music, 7th-2009 Just me and DH Coronado Springs, 8th-2009 Mom's 50th-Yacht Club, 9th-2011 Boardwalk Villas, 10th-2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani Village,
Cant wait for Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #127
hungrygreenhippo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant wait for Disney View Post
hi! total running newbie here! DH has done a half and a full here at home, but ive hardly even ever run! We wanted to try a rundisney event together and thought the 5K would be a good place for me to start. We cant go til the 2014 race but was wondering, can we expect it to be the first weekend in may again? when do the dates come out so you can plan your trip? thank you for the info!!
Congratulations on starting your running journey. It'll be fun for you to have a goal event that the two of you can do together.

I think in 2012 we found out the 2013 EEC date either at the race or shortly after. So this May is probably the earliest you can start planning, but sometimes with RunDisney you never know as they've been known to change a race date even after it's been printed.

For reference, in 2008/2009, the race was the last weekend of September. In 2010, they moved it to June. Since 2011, EEC has been the first week of May.
hungrygreenhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #128
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant wait for Disney View Post
I'm sure you guys are going to enjoy the race! I did it last year (and I'm the poster child for non-runner). If you haven't yet, check out the recent post on the Disney Parks Blog entitled Finishing Last is Finishing First at Disney. Really inspirational!

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
~ September 19-20 Solo Trip - Wilderness Lodge
MamaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #129
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

According to my countdown ticker, we are 100 days away from the race!!!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #130
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanigor View Post
According to my countdown ticker, we are 100 days away from the race!!!

That scares me!!

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #131
Cant wait for Disney
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies and advice, it is really helpful! Even though the race is over a year away for me, I'm still super excited! I know all the pros won't believe it, but the idea of 3 miles sounds like a really long way to me! I'm in the north so I'm looking forward to spring when I can get back outside and start getting in shape!

me (31) dh (33) DS (3) DS (1)

1st trip-off site 1990's, 2nd-Wilderness Lodge, 3rd-Disney Cruise, 4th-Boardwalk Inn 5th-1999 class trip offsite, 6th-2001 class trip-All Star Music, 7th-2009 Just me and DH Coronado Springs, 8th-2009 Mom's 50th-Yacht Club, 9th-2011 Boardwalk Villas, 10th-2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani Village,
Cant wait for Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #132
sjlupin
Mouseketeer

My DS17 (soon to be DS18!) and I are registered!! We are the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

This will be our 3rd EEC. DS will be in college next year, so assuming they hold EEC at the same time we won't be able to do it. I am SO glad we can do it this last time!

Last year we almost didn't make it. I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer last winter and had a complete thyroidectomy in March and treatment in late May. We ended up being able to go down for the race, which at one point we didn't think would be possible. I was only 8 weeks post-op so we just took it easy with the goal to finish and have FUN. It was awesome. We actually beat our 2011 time! Our run was slower, but we were MUCH faster on the scavenger hunt.

This year I am hoping to really be able to enjoy it more physically. I am cancer free and trying to get back to some sort of shape. I am doing Insanity! right now and will start to run when I am finished with it.

Can't wait!!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #133
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlupin View Post
My DS17 (soon to be DS18!) and I are registered!! We are the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

This will be our 3rd EEC. DS will be in college next year, so assuming they hold EEC at the same time we won't be able to do it. I am SO glad we can do it this last time!

Last year we almost didn't make it. I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer last winter and had a complete thyroidectomy in March and treatment in late May. We ended up being able to go down for the race, which at one point we didn't think would be possible. I was only 8 weeks post-op so we just took it easy with the goal to finish and have FUN. It was awesome. We actually beat our 2011 time! Our run was slower, but we were MUCH faster on the scavenger hunt.

This year I am hoping to really be able to enjoy it more physically. I am cancer free and trying to get back to some sort of shape. I am doing Insanity! right now and will start to run when I am finished with it.

Can't wait!!
Congratulations on your recovery! It's so cool that you and your son can do this before he heads off to college!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #134
princessfionasmom
DIS Veteran

I registered with my son and my bestie and my sons best friend too. I have my son on a team with me and we are the Mighty Mellings and my friend and my sons friend are the Zippity Do Da Zuckers. I wanted to put my son and his friend together but the are both only 12 so he have to be with an adult. I think we'll probably all end up running together anyway. We are all so excited for this trip. DH and DD10 are staying home and not happy about it. This is my sons friend's first trip to Disney and the trip was both of their Christmas present. I sent them on a scavenger hunt to collect clues for their present. It was awesome. They were jumping up and down and yelling when they put all the clues together and figured out what they were doing. Now I just have to get them out running!!
2/02 ASSp - 5/03 offsite -5/04 Pop - 9/04 DCL - 5/06 Pop - 3/07 SOG - 12/08 SSR/POP - 10/09 BLT/OKW - 06/10 BWV/BLT 01/11 BLT - 1/2 Marathon 09/12 celebrate DH's recovery from BMT & 15 yr wedding anniversary! 05/13 Expedition Everest 5k w/DS 10/13 GFV Adult only W&D Next up 11/14 BLT for W&D 1/2 marathon
princessfionasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #135
sjlupin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrush View Post
Congratulations on your recovery! It's so cool that you and your son can do this before he heads off to college!
Thanks MamaCrush! These Mom/Son weekends have been so special. I'm hoping next year I can convince one of my DDs to do it with me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: