DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #31
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut330 View Post
This was a key decision maker for us. We have a young family and for the first couple years of my son's life we didn't take any vacations. We finally decided to take the kids to Disney when they were 4 and 2 - our first family vacation. The following year when we started talking about vacation, we all wanted to go back to Disney, so we went last year too.

While on property last year we ended up joining DVC. Fast forward to 2013 and we are going twice - a quick trip for a milestone birthday of mine and then a longer trip around the holidays.

Why does any of this matter? Because we weren't a vacationing type of family and now that we have taken a couple I realize how important they are. DVC will force us to plan vacation time - that time we need together.

If we didn't have DVC there is no what we would be heading down there for my birthday. Is it a great financial investment? Maybe, maybe not, but the some of the non-financial aspects are what drove our decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanash1 View Post
I agree with you. It's a totally personal decision, and one that I don't regret. We NEED our yearly Family Vacation. No Facebook, no cell phones, no electronics... Just good old fashioned fun and relaxing. Exploring. Learning. Creating memories. It is worth every penny for us.
I agree with both of these sentiments and I think they are good position statements in the "DVC or not" discussion. That being said, once you decide that DVC is a good idea for your lifestyle and family vacationing habits, you then would benefit from engaging in another discussion: direct or resale. It is there that you will examine the costs of DVC and what benefits you get from both purchase options. Families who are buying DVC as a "forced vacation" tool or as a luxury to be able to take unplanned trips might find that they can receive those benefits from a resale purchase for much less money.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #32
magicmonette
Working on Future DVC Retirement Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica9
Does dvc save you money in the long run if you are a family that goes once a year and only stays deluxe, has only one child and has to fly to get to Disney? Why did you choose dvc over RCI or other timeshares?
We realized we spend on average 3800 for a week and that includes base tickets and free dining at deluxe for a week while we will be paying $260 a month and almost $900 in fees that's about 4200 a year. Is there something I'm missing? Also, after the 10 years are up and we only have to pay fees, whos to say the prices on fees won't double? Then having to pay $400 a ticket for 3 people annually plus food. I can't see how this would save us money. Any help with making the decision? Unfortunately we purchased it yesterday and obviously didn't think it through too well. We have 10 days to cancel but not sure if we will lose out on our down payment either. Please no rude comments but friendly advice will be much appreciated!
Mousesavers has EXHAUSTIVE research on this subject...like almost OCD! LOL! Spreadsheets, etc. here's a link to get you going:

http://www.mousesavers.com/other-dis...b/#opportunity

...it's a blurr! Kids, family, friends, and just Husband and ME! Offsite five times:THEN multiple times at each Fort Wilderness Campground AND the Cabins, All Star Music, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Caribbean Beach, Old Key West and AKL,AKV,BLT,BWV...and on to the next!
magicmonette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #33
djwood24
Earning My Ears

we were going to Disney every other year...so we looked into the Direct Buy...well didn`t pull the trigger.
Looked into resales...well bought BCV 150 points few years back...paid 12k cash
Have been to Disneyworld once so far using it...been to HH another time.
Just used RCI for Mexico.
So all in all I am using it...happy with my purchase.

But Am I the ONLY one who didn`t didn`t use a calculator/spreadsheet to just buy it?
djwood24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #34
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwood24 View Post
we were going to Disney every other year...so we looked into the Direct Buy...well didn`t pull the trigger.
Looked into resales...well bought BCV 150 points few years back...paid 12k cash
Have been to Disneyworld once so far using it...been to HH another time.
Just used RCI for Mexico.
So all in all I am using it...happy with my purchase.

But Am I the ONLY one who didn`t didn`t use a calculator/spreadsheet to just buy it?
No you are not alone, DH and I have great jobs where we do not have to be proficient in Excel or math. We bought sight unseen at AKV....we bought direct...we financed for 10 years...we take family... we broke all the rules and enjoy every second and penny of it. The DIS DVC Forum gods will now strike me dead.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #35
magicmonette
Working on Future DVC Retirement Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyLu

No you are not alone, DH and I have great jobs where we do not have to be proficient in Excel or math. We bought sight unseen at AKV....we bought direct...we financed for 10 years...we take family... we broke all the rules and enjoy every second and penny of it. The DIS DVC Forum gods will now strike me dead.
No, they will strike you down when you have done that again with multiple use years! LOL! Just joking!!! Hold the lightening!

...it's a blurr! Kids, family, friends, and just Husband and ME! Offsite five times:THEN multiple times at each Fort Wilderness Campground AND the Cabins, All Star Music, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Caribbean Beach, Old Key West and AKL,AKV,BLT,BWV...and on to the next!
magicmonette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #36
Caren90
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyLu View Post
It is your purchase and your happiness. That is what matters most!!

Stephen
Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #37
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
In a conversation that focuses on cost and money as it pertains to DVC, your choices are probably not the most efficient way to go. However, despite the fact that most of the conversations on here revolve around the cost of DVC, there are other aspects to ownership. In those areas you seem to be ahead of the pack.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #38
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
But a studio doesn't really compare with a deluxe hotel room. The hotel room is better because it has real beds and sleeps five.

I'd never pay cash to stay in a studio. Are you staying three consecutive weeks in a studio?? Or are you booking three trips? I can't imagine three weeks in a studio.
We enjoy the studios as we've no need for more than 1 bed (and I am pretty sure it's a real bed). The kitchenette is nice for AM coffee or an afternoon snack. We don't spend much time in the room altho what time we do having the sofa provides nice walking space to the patio/balcony.

We do week long stays 3 times thru out the year during which time I don't cook, wash clothes or dishes. We hang the DND sign on the door and enjoy. Anything we need, we pick up the phone and magic happens =

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #39
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrerNashville View Post
What do you mean by "financing" -- are you buying over time and that includes your interest cost? Or is that simply the amortized amount applicable to a given year on what you originally paid?

Disney won't always be on 35% off sale at the resorts. So two ways to look at that -- cash pay until those hefty discounts dry up and then buy DVC if you find that you are still interested in going regularly, or go ahead and buy today, using the dollars you would have spent on those 35% off cash pay rooms towards your purchase.
My husband refused to buy outright - prefers to pay over time and keep his $$ in his pocket . Whatever - we're .

So far the AP discounts have been running fairly consistently but last October we stayed at the Dolphin and LOVED IT. (The only place we could've stayed on pts 4 months out was SSR - which wasn't our preferred location for F&W.)

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #40
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have no problems, I think there are many in the situation you are/were in. Fortunately it's worked out well for you though it hasn't for some. There are far worse choices in life than making the wrong one with DVC. However, for someone looking to buy in, I'd suggest they limit risk and cost even more than you were able to do.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #41
AllieV
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
But a studio doesn't really compare with a deluxe hotel room. The hotel room is better because it has real beds and sleeps five.
Maybe this depends on which resort it is? I've stayed in both the Boardwalk Inn and the Villas. The Inn room was the smallest I've ever been in, and that includes tiny rooms in Europe. I couldn't believe how much I was paying for such a tiny tiny room. There was one bed and a small chair squished between the bed and the slider. No way it would fit 5 unless someone slept in the tub. I was pleasantly surprised at how big the villa studio was. Very roomy comparatively.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #42
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieV View Post
Maybe this depends on which resort it is? I've stayed in both the Boardwalk Inn and the Villas. The Inn room was the smallest I've ever been in, and that includes tiny rooms in Europe. I couldn't believe how much I was paying for such a tiny tiny room. There was one bed and a small chair squished between the bed and the slider. No way it would fit 5 unless someone slept in the tub. I was pleasantly surprised at how big the villa studio was. Very roomy comparatively.
That room sounds like a real oddity. Most rooms have two beds and most deluxe rooms also have a day bed. Unless there is a king sized bed in the room, then only one bed.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: