Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
las3888
DIS Veteran

Can SWA points be used for flights on AirTran?

We are seeing great prices on AirTran and horrible on SWA, also horrible times on SWA. However, we have points for SWA and none for AirTran. Just wondering if since they have banded together that we might be able to use our SWA points on AirTran?

TIA!
las3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
kinggoofy
DIS Veteran

The answer is no.

We also fly out of MDW and are seeing the same flights you are. They are horrible..price and time wise.

The only other item we knew about was xfering AMEX points to Air Tran but that ended early last year in 2012. SWA eliminated AMEX points all together.

Also, AT is now upping their bag fees. instead of $20 - 1st and $25-2nd...its now gonna be $25-1st and $35-2nd. For this reason...I still think SWA is the way to go.

Hope this helps.
CBR-Sept. 93 ( Honeymoon); ASMu-Aug. 97; CSR - Aug.98; PO-Aug. 99; DXL-Aug. 00; POR- Aug. 01; POR- Aug. 02; POR-Thanksgiving 02; POR-Aug 03 (Celebrated 10th wedding anniversary this trip); POR-Aug. 04; POR-Thanksgiving 04; POR-August 05; POR-Thanksgiving 05; POR-June 06; POR-Thanksgving 06: CBR-ESPN The Weekend Mar 07; POP-Memorial Day Weekend 07; Poly-Aug 07; BW-Thanksgiving 07; Poly-April 08 DW Birthday Present ; Poly Aug 08 (15th Wedding Anniversary); POR - Thanksgiving 08; Aug 09 YC; POR- Thanksgiving 09; Aug 10- Yacht Club to celebrate our 25th Visit to Walt Disney World; POR- Thanksgiving 10 ; POR August 2011; Poly Aug 2012 OKW in Nov 2012 upcoming OKW 7/27 to 8/10

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS..2010 & 2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
CHICAGO CUBS..1908 WORLD CHAMPIONS
kinggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by las3888
We are seeing great prices on AirTran and horrible on SWA, also horrible times on SWA. However, we have points for SWA and none for AirTran. Just wondering if since they have banded together that we might be able to use our SWA points on AirTran?

TIA!
I'm pretty sure you can transfer points between the 2 reward programs. I didn't remember what the conversion rate is. But almost positive it can be done.

Last edited by ZoeBell; 01-19-2013 at 12:51 PM.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggoofy View Post
The answer is no.
The answer is yes.

http://www.southwest.com/rewardsconversionrules/

OP, you just had to check WN's website for an (accurate) answer to your question.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by las3888 View Post

TIA!
Yes, you can:

http://rewardsfarther.com/program-updates/

http://rewardsfarther.com/rapid_rewards_to_a_plus/

1,200 SW points = 1 AirTran credit
Old 01-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Shoot! we transferred point because the AirTran times are so much better for us and... you can't use the rewards on the flights we want! That just stinks.
appleorchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
las3888
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the help...I was looking at the SWA website when I should have been looking at the AirTran website. Now that I know the conversion rate (thanks very much!) I just can't find anything on the AirTran website that tells me how many points a flight is, as well as how to book it with points. Maybe it's just me but I am finding very little info on the website. I see conversion rates, but not how to book with points or how many points flights cost. Is it a standard rate per flight? How can you tell availability? I will try to poke around some more....thanks all.
las3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
SRiley1985
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by las3888 View Post
Thanks for the help...I was looking at the SWA website when I should have been looking at the AirTran website. Now that I know the conversion rate (thanks very much!) I just can't find anything on the AirTran website that tells me how many points a flight is, as well as how to book it with points. Maybe it's just me but I am finding very little info on the website. I see conversion rates, but not how to book with points or how many points flights cost. Is it a standard rate per flight? How can you tell availability? I will try to poke around some more....thanks all.
A one-way coach ticket is 8 credits and a one-way business class is 16 credits. In order to book with points, you have to sign up for an AirTran rewards account. After you do this, you will have the option to book with reward credits.

Unlike Southwest, AirTran limits when you can use credits and for what type of seating so even though there is a flight, reward travel may not be available. My advice is not to transfer your points to AirTran until you make sure the flight you need is available for reward travel.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRiley1985 View Post
A one-way coach ticket is 8 credits and a one-way business class is 16 credits. In order to book with points, you have to sign up for an AirTran rewards account. After you do this, you will have the option to book with reward credits.

Unlike Southwest, AirTran limits when you can use credits and for what type of seating so even though there is a flight, reward travel may not be available. My advice is not to transfer your points to AirTran until you make sure the flight you need is available for reward travel.
This! We should have waited! However, I have noticed that the reward flights change VERY frequently, so we're just going to keep checking and hoping for something that works better for us.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
taymorel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleorchard View Post
This! We should have waited! However, I have noticed that the reward flights change VERY frequently, so we're just going to keep checking and hoping for something that works better for us.

So glad I read your post today before I converted my SW points to Airtran, since I checked and my Airtran outbound flight is not eligible for reward points.
So unless that changes, I will have to fly Southwest which I hate since my SW flights are not nonstop, but the Airtran flights are nonstop.

Me DH DS(8)

2010 Contemporary
2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Royal Pacific
taymorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

I'm actually considering using our 16 transferred points for a business class seat for DH and just paying the $139 for a second seat for me. Since business class bag fees for the first two bags are waived, it would effectively cost us an extra $89 for the non-stop flight. I just can't stand the thought of sitting in Atlanta for almost 3 hours lol. We got our leg down for $98 per person(nonstop), so I'm pretty happy with that.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
debjk4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taymorel View Post
So glad I read your post today before I converted my SW points to Airtran, since I checked and my Airtran outbound flight is not eligible for reward points.
So unless that changes, I will have to fly Southwest which I hate since my SW flights are not nonstop, but the Airtran flights are nonstop.

We are checking back and forth to see what works for our June trip. Where does it tell me if the flight is eligible for reward points? I don't want to convert them if the flights are not eligible.

Thanks so much!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: