DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #3016
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

[QUOTE=twinmom108;47226099]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
I too just love what they did for the DL SM! I can ride it over and over while we now might miss a FP time at WDW and not be upset. And the Matterhorn - I swear they accomplished their goal on the last redo if it was to make it even rougher.

I so agree with both of you about SM & the Matterhorn. We were fortunate to go to both WDW & DL this year. I love SM at DL & rode it over & over. In fact on one day during early entry I was the only one on it & it was a little spooky being on the ride all by myself. Just had to buy that picture! Hate SM at WDW.
A friend told me of being on ToT by himself. He is in his 60s but he was pretty spooked by experience, though he has ridden countless times before
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #3017
bagsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytammy View Post
bagsmom
Praying your friend gets a report based on Gods grace and mercy

Im not big on SM at WDW. I will ride it because others want too, but its a bit rough for me.

My fave in all of WDW is Splash Mt.

Woke up to 2" of snow this AM. It started last night around 6, and we drove home in it after doing payroll and paperwork at my dads office at his home. Drive wasnt bad, but this AM, lots of slick roads. Problem is the temps, plus its clear so warmth is gone. We have had a weird weather week here, been raining everyday since Mon, then snow with thunder and lightning last night
Our news media folks were all excited that snow was headed our way! They did say it was an unpredictable situation... but everyone got excited anyway. But everything just fizzled out when it got near us. Lots of bummed out kids! You stay warm!!!!! Put baggies with rubber bands over your shoes!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #3018
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagsmom View Post
Sharon and Kat -- so you don't like SM because it's too rough?

Is it rougher than Big Thunder? I'm doing my little survey here so I can inform my family before we get on these things. Like I said, here at home, my son thinks he is going to be very brave, but that may change when we get there.

Different subject, same idea though -- last time we went, boys were 6 and 8. We did the 3D Bug's Life show and it RUINED them for anything else. They were terrified. Even the big one cried. They just kept saying "Mom, I want to leave. Mom, I want to go now." Sad!

After that, the younger one would do NOTHING. Not the jungle cruise, not Kali, not anything that wasn't totally visible to him. Bummer.

Today I am waiting to hear from one of my dearest friends who has been battling cancer. She gets the results of a big PET scan this morning. It seems that this will determine whether or not there is hope for survival. If you can, shoot up a prayer for her! She also has a couple of little boys and she needs to stick around and raise them!

OK -- gotta wake up my crew and start the day!
Sending a prayer for your friend!

Both DH and I do think SM is rough or maybe we just don't bounce and shake as well as we used to. While Big Thunder can give some good jolts or jerks with going up the hills or at the end it's relatively smooth on the track. SM just shakes you up more. Sometimes I think sitting in the front is a little smoother but then I ride again and think there's no difference - that it's all rough.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #3019
Nicoal13
not so patiently waiting for next vacation

I agree, SM is rough. I do plan on taking DS on Big Thunder first and see how he does.

I don't plan on trying Everest with him, I think he would be terrified.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #3020
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Is it rougher than Big Thunder? I'm doing my little survey here so I can inform my family before we get on these things. Like I said, here at home, my son thinks he is going to be very brave, but that may change when we get there.

Different subject, same idea though -- last time we went, boys were 6 and 8. We did the 3D Bug's Life show and it RUINED them for anything else. They were terrified. Even the big one cried. They just kept saying "Mom, I want to leave. Mom, I want to go now." Sad!

After that, the younger one would do NOTHING. Not the jungle cruise, not Kali, not anything that wasn't totally visible to him. Bummer.

Today I am waiting to hear from one of my dearest friends who has been battling cancer. She gets the results of a big PET scan this morning. It seems that this will determine whether or not there is hope for survival. If you can, shoot up a prayer for her! She also has a couple of little boys and she needs to stick around and raise them!

!
Bugs life gets a lot of kids, it is a very intense show. I kinda think the warnings should be a bit more prominent when you walk into the waiting area under the tree.

Saying huge prayers for your friend, I'm on the recovery side of that fight but it is a horrible road to travel. whatever the outcome, come here regularly. I found that coming here really helped.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #3021
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Friday morning triva

According to Disney legend, Pleasure Island is a living monument to it's purchaser "the wise fool, the mad visonary, the scoundrel, the scalawag and the seeker of enjoyment"... Merriweather Adam Pleasure, who brought the island in 1911 and disappeared 30 years later during a circumnavigation of the Antartic. Destroyed by Hurricane Connie in 1955, the island was uncovered by archaeologist in 1987. Two years later, the "new" pleasure Island opened with hopes of being "fun for all and all for fun!"

Only Disney could give an attraction a history.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #3022
Nicoal13
not so patiently waiting for next vacation

So when I booked OKW a few months ago, the near Hospitality House category was not available. I went online this morning and now it is.

We are 15 days away from check in. Can I call and have that switched over?

My understanding is they would have to cancel the current reservation, put the points in holding and the book the new reservation.

Can they do this without losing the original reservation just in case the new one is not available when I call?

Hope that makes sense. I've never done this before. Thanks!

Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #3023
twinmom108
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Praying for your friend !

SM at DL is wonderful & the soundtrack is different too. I think it's Trans Siberian Orchestra which I adore. The track is much more smoother than at WDW. I don't understand why they're so different. I have fibromyalgia & back problems so I have to be careful of the extra jerks, but rollercoasters are my favorite pass time. I know I will have to give them all up eventually & SM at WDW is now sadly on my DNR (do not ride) list now.

Peter Pan's #1 Fan
Old 01-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #3024
twokats
DIS Veteran

Quote:
bagsmom
Praying your friend gets a report based on Gods grace and mercy

Im not big on SM at WDW. I will ride it because others want too, but its a bit rough for me.

My fave in all of WDW is Splash Mt.

Woke up to 2" of snow this AM. It started last night around 6, and we drove home in it after doing payroll and paperwork at my dads office at his home. Drive wasnt bad, but this AM, lots of slick roads. Problem is the temps, plus its clear so warmth is gone. We have had a weird weather week here, been raining everyday since Mon, then snow with thunder and lightning last night
That is the tail end of the system that got us on Tuesday!!! The news anchors were really going on about the snow-thunder!! We did not have a lot of rain before it, but we really got the snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoal13 View Post
I agree, SM is rough. I do plan on taking DS on Big Thunder first and see how he does.

I don't plan on trying Everest with him, I think he would be terrified.
Everest is the one that my son Clay does not like. He tried it on the Dec '11 trip and after that he sat to the side somewhere and waited for us. He did not want to do it in Sept either.

Quote:

Prayers for your friend. My mom went through 3 of those PET scans and we were always anxious for the results to know what was going to happen next.

DCL (Magic, Southern Caribbean & Repo B2B), VWL - October 2014: AKL (Jambo Concierge), DCL (Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean) - September 2014: VWL - Dec 2013: DL (Grand Californian), DCL (Wonder, LA/Galveston PC Repo) - Sept 2013: DCL (Magic, Cozumel) - Feb 2013: VWL - Sept 2012: VWL, DCL (Fantasy, Western Caribbean) - May 2012: AKV, SSR - Dec 2011: DCL (Wonder, NYE Eastern Caribbean) - Dec 2010/Jan 2011: AKV, SSR - Dec 2009: AKV, DCL (Wonder, Bahama), VWL - May/June 2009: VWL - 2007: WL - 2004: WL - 2001: Dixie Landing - 1998: Offsite - 1987

Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #3025
Kathymford
A little obsessed is ok....right?

Quote:

Is it rougher than Big Thunder? I'm doing my little survey here so I can inform my family before we get on these things. Like I said, here at home, my son thinks he is going to be very brave, but that may change when we get there
SM "rough" is just the track, while Big Thunder to me is a little jerky, but the track is smooth.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #3026
nanajoyx2
Enjoy those wonderful princes...they are a blessing!

I hate the refurbished Space Mountain at WDW. I rode it in August for the first and final time. I hoped the refurbishment would mean vehicles like the ones at DL. I am 66 and have no strength in my upper arms to lift myself out of the seat. But I love Thunder Mtn, Splash Mtn, and Everest because these rides are easy to enter and exit. I also found Space much more rough and jerker than it was before. I love fast rides and found DL's faster and smoother. I have never like the leg position on Space because I can't use my legs to help lift me out of the seat. But my kids and grandchildren love it, as I did when I was younger.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #3027
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
So when I booked OKW a few months ago, the near Hospitality House category was not available. I went online this morning and now it is.

My understanding is they would have to cancel the current reservation, put the points in holding and the book the new reservation.

Can they do this without losing the original reservation just in case the new one is not available when I call?

You're correct, they would have to cancel the current reservation and make a new one. It may be safer to call and see what they think. I wouldn't chance it myself, there are plenty of buildings close to HH that you wouldn't necessarily need to be in that category.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #3028
KAT4DISNEY
1st trip Disneyland 1969

Quote:

I sometimes think I go where no man or woman should but I've done things like that more than once. So far no big issues (knocking on wood). I've even twice changed a reservation on the day of check in as I was driving to the resort.

The CM would cancel your existing and rebook the HH category. The points going into holding is technically what happens but really not part of the equation as long as you're dealing with MS. I wouldn't do this at the front desk from stories I've heard but if I really wanted HH I'd call MS and change.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #3029
KAT4DISNEY
1st trip Disneyland 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmom108 View Post
SM at DL is wonderful & the soundtrack is different too. I think it's Trans Siberian Orchestra which I adore. The track is much more smoother than at WDW. I don't understand why they're so different.
DL installed a new track for their SM. A couple of years ago when SM went down for the long rehab the pretty well confirmed story is that they were going to do the same and then got worried over the expense and decided to just repair the existing track instead of replacing. This one is a good case of you get what you pay for IMO. My lingering love of SM still hangs on but everytime I get off it at WDW it's leaving a longer impression that it's not so great anymore.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #3030
Disney loving Iowan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
bagsmom
Once a groupie, always a groupie...this statement is roughly defined as someone who joins us is an immediate part of this family, therefore you are entitled to join in any and all discussion, well wishing, etc. And if you go away for a spell and come back later, you are still a groupie. Too this day, no one has been exspelled
Boy that is a good thing or I would have been kicked out long ago! I have just been such a lurker lately!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: