Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
snickerboo
DIS Veteran

Royal Family 5k?

Hi everyone. We will be in Orlando on the day of the 5K. I'm thinking of signing dd13 and I up for this. I am presently training for a full marathon in April and dd is a fabulous runner (faster than me-by a lot). What can we expect from this race? Does it go off on time (we have a 10 am check-out. The race is supposed to start at 6:30. It should take dd about 20 mins and me about 25. We *should* be back-to Windsor Hills-in plenty of time if all runs on schedule). Is there any corraling for this or is it a free-for-all? Are the medals and tees nice?
Sunny California at Disneyland & San Diego, CA November 3rd-10th, 2009
Visited Lilo & Stitch in Hawaii-December 6th-15th, 2010
Wizarding World Feb 16-23 2013 & Royal Family 5k at Disney
snickerboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
yulilin3
Disney Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerboo View Post
Hi everyone. We will be in Orlando on the day of the 5K. I'm thinking of signing dd13 and I up for this. I am presently training for a full marathon in April and dd is a fabulous runner (faster than me-by a lot). What can we expect from this race? Does it go off on time (we have a 10 am check-out. The race is supposed to start at 6:30. It should take dd about 20 mins and me about 25. We *should* be back-to Windsor Hills-in plenty of time if all runs on schedule). Is there any corraling for this or is it a free-for-all? Are the medals and tees nice?
Disney races tend to go off on time or perhaps with a 5 minutes delay, having said that, it depends how far back you are at the beginning, last year it took about 5 minutes for all the runners to start. They don't have corrals, they do have flags that tell you which time you should be in (11:00, 12:00) and then you are supposed to enter in the right pace group, they all go out at once with the strollers and walkers behing everyone (although alot of strollers got in front of me last year) The tee is cute, standard white t-shirts with the 5K logo on it. They call it a medallion because it's rubber, not metal, the design is cute and the ribbon is pretty.
yulilin3 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Koda
Mouseketeer

My DD (17) and I just did the Disney World 5k on 1-11-13. It was a blast, so if you can make it fit into your schedule, do it!

There are corrals (the corral letter is on your bib). We were both in B corral. DD is way faster than me, but I put her estimated pace the same as mine, so we would be placed in the same corral, and could run together.

Our corral started at approximately 6:45 to a blast of fireworks! Very cool! The run took us about 35 minutes, although we stopped for a few pictures in front of our favorite pavilions, and in front of Spaceship Earth. There are characters out for photos also, but the lines were pretty long.

We took a few photos at the end, got our food box, freshened up in the Epcot bathroom, headed to the monorail, and were at the Magic Kingdom gates by 8:45. I think you could definitely get back to your resort by 9:00-ish if you didn't dawdle afterwards, and depending on traffic.

Nothing beats getting up at 4:15 to hop on a bus, and run through Epcot in the dark for a bonding experience with DD!

The t-shirts were cute and the medallions were huge (rubber, though, not metal). I will post a picture of them if I can figure out how.
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
snickerboo
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. I thought about doing the half but dd turns 13 on our trip and the minimum age is 14. She loved the idea of the Princess half so I felt guilty running it without her. This sounds a nice compromise. I was wondering abotu corraling because I know a lot of little kids go in it. I think I'll just estimate the times on the fast side of truthful to avoid being impeded as much as possible.
Sunny California at Disneyland & San Diego, CA November 3rd-10th, 2009
Visited Lilo & Stitch in Hawaii-December 6th-15th, 2010
Wizarding World Feb 16-23 2013 & Royal Family 5k at Disney
snickerboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
My DD (17) and I just did the Disney World 5k on 1-11-13. It was a blast, so if you can make it fit into your schedule, do it!

There are corrals (the corral letter is on your bib). We were both in B corral. DD is way faster than me, but I put her estimated pace the same as mine, so we would be placed in the same corral, and could run together.

Our corral started at approximately 6:45 to a blast of fireworks! Very cool! The run took us about 35 minutes, although we stopped for a few pictures in front of our favorite pavilions, and in front of Spaceship Earth. There are characters out for photos also, but the lines were pretty long.

We took a few photos at the end, got our food box, freshened up in the Epcot bathroom, headed to the monorail, and were at the Magic Kingdom gates by 8:45. I think you could definitely get back to your resort by 9:00-ish if you didn't dawdle afterwards, and depending on traffic.

Nothing beats getting up at 4:15 to hop on a bus, and run through Epcot in the dark for a bonding experience with DD!

The t-shirts were cute and the medallions were huge (rubber, though, not metal). I will post a picture of them if I can figure out how.
Question about this...I don't remember putting in an estimated finish time and was surprised to see that corrals were assigned to this race. Somehow I ended up in Corral B. I actually think they just assigned corrals based on when people signed up...I saw lots of young kiddos hanging out in Corral A.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
tamhugh
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
Question about this...I don't remember putting in an estimated finish time and was surprised to see that corrals were assigned to this race. Somehow I ended up in Corral B. I actually think they just assigned corrals based on when people signed up...I saw lots of young kiddos hanging out in Corral A.
I had to put an estimated time in for myself and my SIL when I signed us up for this year. Since it is the first 5k for both of us, I estimated us to be on the slow side.
tamhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

I did the Royal Family 5K last year (blog about it here, if you want a full play-by-play). They had one giant corral that we all had to get into from either end - it was a mess, but since it's not a timed race, didn't really impact anything.

But the Wine & Dine 5K did have corrals this year (based on what, I can't imagine, as my 10yo son and I were in A - clearly it wasn't based on time!) and it was a MUCH easier start. Since the WDW Marathon weekend's 5K also had corrals, I think it's a safe bet that the Royal Family will this year, too.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: