Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #16
JimB.
DIS Veteran

This was my 5th full Disney Marathon. I thought the new portions were fine.

Contrary to the seeming majority, I thought the WWoS portion was good. True, it wound around a bit, but I would rather do that than see miles & miles of straight asphalt in front of me. Now if they could get rid of the paved purgatory from AK TO WWos, that would be f-a-b!

I liked the speedway with all the cars. They were really awesome! Out @ DL this year they had a long stretch of road with classics on it too. It's cool to see the love and effort these guys put into their vehicles.

Not much can be done about the weather. I thought the changes in the course made it easier, temperature wise. I was a lot farther down the asphalt when the sun came up, and there was a fair bit of shade @ WWoS that helped.

I didn't really miss the "Early Epcot" portion. That part is so crowded I have always spent it looking down to make sure I didn't trip over someone/thing in the dark.

It will be interesting to see if the changes are kept or they will return to the "traditional" course next year.
GATOR NATION RULES!!!
JimB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Is there a single person out there that thought the Mile 20 Spectacular lived up to the hype? So far, I haven't met anyone. I also enjoyed the speedway (other than the entry hill down and up), but I'm a huge car guy and it was barely daylight when I came through there so I'm sure it wasn't nearly as hot as it was for many of those in later corrals.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Having this as my first marathon I can't compare but having seen
so many videos of the marathon on other years I really would have liked to go into Epcot at the beginning however I have no complaints on the route this year,no stretch felt so long that it went on forever and having another venue (WWoS) to look forward to go to really helped the variety along the way.A lot of people are complaing about the heat,which for me was not a problem at all.Apparently living in South Florida really helped me there,I thought it was cool up until we exited AK,after that it warmed up but I guess being used to heat it never felt too bad.Is this route a one year special and next year the old route will be back,since I plan to do it again I would have no problem with either since I've never done the old route and would like to do Epcot in the dark to start but the route this year was pretty entertaining and I wouldn't have a problem with it either,going through WWoS was pretty cool too.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
kmg148
DIS Veteran

I actually enjoyed the speedway for the most part! It was a cool distraction with all of the cars. WWOS was the worst stretch for me, but the track was one of my favorite parts because of the relief I felt running on the spongey material! I was underwhelmed by the stadium portion. I hope it was full earlier on when the largest amount of people ran through.
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #20
JeffW
Earning My Ears

Another (seemingly minority) positive view of WWoS. I much prefer a course that keeps winding around, rather than a straight and flat road. The winding kept my mind alert and working, which made the distance pass more quickly than the AK to WWoS stretch or the race track to AK stretch.

At least where I was (corral B), the bottlenecks early in the race (start through entrance to the race track) were far worse than any that occurred in any later portions of the race.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #21
Goofierunner
Mickey says, "Now get out there and run!"

Since this was my first wdw race, I didn't know what to expect as far as the course so here are my two pennies. I was underwhelmed by the race track portion. I thought, " oh nice, meh." I like the wwos section. Much more interesting than a long road. Isn't the baseball field used by the braves for their spring training games? That made it kinda cool for me, the baseball fan. Couldn't care less about being on the big screen. I was too focused on moving through. Mile 20 spectacular was not so much. Nice that the characters showed up to push us through but it looked like we were tardy to the party and the big stuff was already gone. Guess there was no big stuff.

First I do this Then I do this but I wish I was at
Goofierunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #22
ludari
DIS Veteran

I was not impressed with the WWOS but it could be that I was grumpy from the heat. I did like running on the track and on the baseball field. I would definitely prefer being inside WWOS then staying on Oceloa which is even worse.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #23
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

I am one who misses the first loop through Epcot. I really liked much of the WWoS loop - with the exception of the warning track around the ball field. What I really love about the new version is being on Osceola 4 miles earlier. That was a life saver this year. I loved the Indy Track and lost time on the track as I stopped to look at a couple cars.

I would not feel bad about running it again.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #24
StarGirl11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennyha View Post
I liked the new course better. The speedway helped to break up the awful stretch from MK to AK, and the WWOS, while not my favorite part of the course, was definitely an upgrade from the old out and back on Osceola Highway.

With the size of the marathon increasing, they had to get us through the MK earlier. Last year, the last runners cleared MK about 5 minutes before the park opened.
Like to correct that part about the last runners clearing MK before park opening during the 2012 race. Yeah, that didn't happen. I was still in the park when I heard the countdown go off for park opening. And there were people behind me, so I'm betting there were guests dealing with runners last year.

Wasn't here this year but was curious to see about the new route. So I popped in. Glad I wasn't there I had a hard enough time doing a half in the high 80s during Disneyland forget doing a full in the same temperatures plus humidity. I had a near meltdown in September. I would not have been a pretty face if I had attempted the full.

Finished RunDisney Races: Princess 2012, Tinkerbell 2012-2014, Disneyland Half 2011-2012, Dumbo Double Dare 2013, Wine and Dine 2013, Disneyland 5k 2012, WDW 5k 2012
Finished Races: Nike Women's Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Marathon 2011, Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon 2011, Santa Anita Derby 5k 2011-2014, Golden Gallop 10k 2013, Surf City 10k 2013, Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon 2011, Rock 'n' Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon 2011, 9/11 Remembrance Run Half Marathon 2011, Race On the Base 10k 2014, Innovation Run 5k 2014, and other races I am missing off the top of my head

Upcoming RunDisney Races: Dumbo Double Dare 2014, Disneyland 5k 2014, Wine and Dine 2014 & Avengers Half Marathon 2014 (aka my first attempt at a double back since 2011), WDW 5k 2015, WDW Marathon 2015 , Tinkerbell 5k 2015, Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon 2015, Dumbo Double Dare 2015, Avengers 2015 (if I don't do these I will be shocked),
Upcoming Races: LA Quarter Marathon 2014, MCM 17.75 2015 (contingent on how well WDW goes because this will be my entry into the Marine Corps Marathon, if I run a sub 6:00 marathon than its all green for this race, thank god registration for this is post-WDW)
StarGirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #25
wdwjoe13
Earning My Ears

I really really missed the first four miles through EPCOT. It felt like a breeze going through the cool backstage areas and then through World Showcase before the sun came up. Almost felt like the race was 4 miles shorter.

Everyone is saying that they are happy to not do the highway stretch, but we actually were on Osceola more this year, correct? I though the turn around was before the turn to WWoS.

Hated the hill into the speedway. There was nothing special about WWoS, and I thought after the stretch on Osceola, then WWoS, and then back on Osceola was tougher than past year.

The track was great, but the warning track at the stadium was tough to run on.

I hope they bring the old course back.
wdwjoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: