Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
sammons70
Mouseketeer

Acronym Decoder

I am a school teacher, so I am used to my share of acronyms: IEP, SST, DLP, ILP, etc. Nonetheless, when the majority of the posters insist on using acronyms for every single attraction, restaurant, and hotel, even I can become overwhelmed. Is there an acronym decoder, or list somewhere on these boards? If not, perhaps the web masters of these boards could design one.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammons70 View Post
Is there an acronym decoder, or list somewhere on these boards?
Here's one: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1660743

Here's another: http://allears.net/tp/abrev.htm

There are undoubtedly many others.

I wish people would limit their use of such acronyms to the obvious ones, such as the major theme parks and resort hotels at Walt Disney World.

When people use two-, three-, or four-letter acronyms to refer to obscure Disney retail locations or restaurants because they can't bother to type a few complete words, I'm not going to rack my brain or perform Google searches to figure out what they meant. I assume they don't really want answers to their questions, and they don't really want to help people who are planning Disney vacations, but are not unfamiliar with the hundreds of acronyms that tend to be used on DISboards.

There's also the issue of ambiguous acronyms that can mean different things. EE can be Expedition Everest, or Early Entry, or Emerald Executive (National Car Rental). And for readers who are not familiar with Expedition Everest, Early Entry, and Emerald Executive, the acronym EE is completely meaningless.

If people write about riding SM at MK, do the mean Splash Mountain or Space Mountain?

Can you order a BLT at the TOTWL at BLT?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
sammons70
Mouseketeer

Thanks Horace Horsecollar. Your information was very helpful. Glad to see I am not the only one feeling frustrated by the excessive use of acronyms on these boards.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
Here's one: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1660743

Here's another: http://allears.net/tp/abrev.htm

There are undoubtedly many others.

I wish people would limit their use of such acronyms to the obvious ones, such as the major theme parks and resort hotels at Walt Disney World.

When people use two-, three-, or four-letter acronyms to refer to obscure Disney retail locations or restaurants because they can't bother to type a few complete words, I'm not going to rack my brain or perform Google searches to figure out what they meant. I assume they don't really want answers to their questions, and they don't really want to help people who are planning Disney vacations, but are not unfamiliar with the hundreds of acronyms that tend to be used on DISboards.

There's also the issue of ambiguous acronyms that can mean different things. EE can be Expedition Everest, or Early Entry, or Emerald Executive (National Car Rental). And for readers who are not familiar with Expedition Everest, Early Entry, and Emerald Executive, the acronym EE is completely meaningless.

If people write about riding SM at MK, do the mean Splash Mountain or Space Mountain?

Can you order a BLT at the TOTWL at BLT?
good one! Challenge accepted. I will limit the acronyms in my posts to the major parks and resorts.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: