Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
OldsDr
Mouseketeer

So does anyone here know for sure what is wrong with it. The two most plausible rumors I heard, was a cracked foundation and lack of lubrication on the joints at initial start up.

I would think if it were joints that wore/seized due to no lubrication that the fix would be relativly easy. Because Joints should be expected to wear over time no matter how well they are lubed so there shold be a way to replace them designed into it.

My gut is it is the foundation cracked or is otherwise unstable. But that statement could mean any number of things.

How often do rollercoasters need to be shut down for a long period of time on a planned basis? It may be that it is getting within the time frame for a normal long term shutdown of the ride so they are putting out for bid to fix yeti at the same time.
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #17
WDWChloe
WDW Annual Passholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsDr View Post
So does anyone here know for sure what is wrong with it. The two most plausible rumors I heard, was a cracked foundation and lack of lubrication on the joints at initial start up.

I heard, from my AK CM friend, that the foundation/mountain itself is not strong enough for the Yeti audio-animatronic. They realized this shortly after opening... Maybe he could lose a few pounds?

I would think if it were joints that wore/seized due to no lubrication that the fix would be relativly easy. Because Joints should be expected to wear over time no matter how well they are lubed so there shold be a way to replace them designed into it.

My gut is it is the foundation cracked or is otherwise unstable. But that statement could mean any number of things.

How often do rollercoasters need to be shut down for a long period of time on a planned basis? It may be that it is getting within the time frame for a normal long term shutdown of the ride so they are putting out for bid to fix yeti at the same time.

I don't remember the last time EE has been closed longer than a day or 2. It's creeping up on 7 years this month, seems like the perfect time for a Yeti fix along with other minor wear and tear repair!
I say Hallelujah. As much as PP's and I dislike Joe Rhode, EE is one of my favorites. I must admit that it hasn't been the same since the first time I rode it though. That last turn with the Yeti swiping at you was a nice finishing effect.

IG: @chloelovesdisney
WDWChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #18
floridianer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsDr View Post

100 Points for you!!

The MOVING Yeti causes problems and the whole foundation would be ruined... To fix it the ride actually has to be removed.

No way to do it afterhours, sorry! Ride incl TRACK would have to be removed...
floridianer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #19
Dznefreek
R.I.P Bruce

Correct me if I am wrong but after watching several documentaries about EE the mountain, coaster, and Yeti are separate and distinct structures. One is not tied to the other.
I am sure the entire track would not have to be removed for repairs. For all we know there may be a way to lift it out . . . .
Dznefreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #20
Mike2023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznefreek View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but after watching several documentaries about EE the mountain, coaster, and Yeti are separate and distinct structures. One is not tied to the other.
I am sure the entire track would not have to be removed for repairs. For all we know there may be a way to lift it out . . . .
You are correct that the structures are separate, but due to the close proximity they would share the same foundation.

Without knowing what the exact problem is its imposable to know what type of fix would be required.

My assumption would be that due to the crazy awesome hydraulic power that is required to get that bad boy to move at the speed it does resulted in stress on the (shared) foundation being more then they had expected.

I would love to see it fixed, but I have my doubts it will come back as it once was. This does not mean they can't add something similar.

{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #21
etemplet
Mouseketeer

If Disney can't fix something as simple as that, I'd have to laugh.

1972 HS Band, Contemporary 1982 ($74 per night) with the Family, POR 2010 & 2011 with the family, now We own so we go a LOT !!

etemplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #22
HerRoyalHighness
Earning My Ears

Add a new yeti in another location...then chop this one off at the ankles
HerRoyalHighness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #23
nuts
Lover of Disney, Family Guy, and all around good person

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRoyalHighness
Add a new yeti in another location...then chop this one off at the ankles
Ain't nuthin simple about the engineering behind the Yeti.

nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #24
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Most people don't even know that Yeti is supposed to do anything differently. I can't see this as being a priority if it means ride closure.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #25
Dsnyfireman
Mouseketeer

I can't imagine that the foundation would be so bad that it can't take a moving yeti, and still stand up to the ride train moving at 45 or 50 miles an hour. Think how much stress that train puts on things. If it was unsafe for yeti I wouldn't want to ride it! Of coarse the only time I did ride it I never saw any yeti..... My eyes were closed!!!! Not my kind of ride I guess. I'll stick to space mountain or maybe CoP!!! Hope they fix it soon though.
Dsnyfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
OldsDr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
Most people don't even know that Yeti is supposed to do anything differently. I can't see this as being a priority if it means ride closure.
This is the main point; this ride still is one of the biggest draws in AK. So the Yeti is not that important to most people, at least not enough to affect their ride habbits.

The questions Disney is asking and answering by doing nothing about it is.

"Will fixing the Yeti draw more people to AK?" Or "is the cost of fixing the Yeti going to be recouped up by increased attendance" As much as I hate the answer (and the question for being the reason for fixing or not fixing it) it seems to be no. They do not think it will draw more people to AK, so why spend the money.
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #27
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohguy View Post
that Disney is bidding out a job to fix Disco Yeti. This comes from a very reliable source who did work on pieces of CARSLand, as well as the new "Soarin'" type ride.
I'm a little confused - but that's nothing new.

After reading the posts to date I don't know if the job being bit out is the actually fix the Yeti or to figure out a fix for the Yeti.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #28
cmash95
a princess at heart

the yeti and the mountain have separate foundations. It's the foundation under the yeti that needs to be replaced not the mountain or track itself. However for this to happen the estimates I have heard is that the ride would have to be down for close to a year because it would take that long to poor a new foundation as well as make the yeti workable and install it all propperly.
september 2006- carnival miracle
may 2008 - disney magic reposition through panama canal
December 2009 - disney magic eastern with stop in st croix.
August 2010 - disney wonder 5 day castaway cay
june 2011- dinsey dream 5 day castaway cay
june 2012- Disney fantasy 7 day eastern
cmash95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #29
johnnycake
Earning My Ears

If they do fix it wonder if they will have on that show where they fix big complicated things
johnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #30
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by etemplet View Post
If Disney can't fix something as simple as that, I'd have to laugh.
You must not have much knowledge of engineering. I am sure it could be fixed, but it realistically could be a 6-9 month job, even working double shifts. The hit Disney would take closing it would be huge. THIS is what's holding it up, not that they can't figure it out.

My guess is if Avatar comes in, they "might" be willing to take EE down for long enough to fix it, but probably not right away. I'm guessing at least 5 years before Betty is moving again.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: